Luton Airport

Luton Airport customer review

The decision to book with Wizz Air from Luton for bigger baggage allowance was not a good one. Arriving about 5.45am on a Sunday morning 2.5 hrs ahead of the flight dumped us in a 1 mile+ 40 min traffic queue on the approach road. Who designed the several-dual-carriageways funnelling down to one lane culminating with incoming traffic being blocked by in and out junctions to/from drop off and short term car parks? It is the most inept piece of road design I have ever encountered. How on earth did it ever get planning approval? And then to have to pay £7.50 for about an hour of short term car park to get my family's baggage dropped off was a shocker. Two thirds of the check-in desks were unused and the rest were rammed with frustrated travellers delayed by a faulty baggage conveyor. Having finally dropped off the baggage and seen people to the stairs to Security (escalators not working) I went to the loo before the drive home. Even the design of that was incompetent with narrow corridors in and out leaving people queuing although there were plenty of free facilities once inside. I have never been to a more ineptly designed airport anywhere or one which cynically rips off its customers as badly. Poor signposting coming in means it's easy to get ripped off for a £1 drop-off fee if you take the wrong turn (easily done) instead of the overpriced car park. I don't care what deals there may be flying from Luton I will never use this dreadful airport again.

Luton Airport customer review

I arrived back from a holiday in Malta yesterday lunchtime. We were able to walk to the terminal from the airport which was ok and walked up some stairs and walked along corridors and then down some stairs and then to immigration. As we came in the queue was snaking around the hall but moving so we thought ok its a busy time of year but as the queue went round the corner we realised that it went out of the border control hall up a long corridor and back down into the hall to the snaking queue with another group of passengers from other flights joining it from the other direction. A poor member of staff helping to organise the queue said that this sort of thing happens all the time. Initially only half of the booths were manned but as the queue started to move faster and we entered the hall it was obvious nearly all the booths were manned. It was in my opinion unacceptable and took over an hour from landing to exit the airport. Surely they know when flights are coming in and roughly how many people need processing. If they don't they should!

Luton Airport customer review

I have used airports all over the world and Luton is the worst that I have come across. Upon arrival at the start of our holiday we entered the departures concourse to find aimless queues snaking all over the building with no clear designation for the various desks and no staff around to offer support or advice. It was complete and utter chaos. Upon our return it took 90 minutes from landing to the arrivals gate huge queues in arrivals- despite a 'rapid' passport lane check for British nationals and other members of the EU who have an 'E passport' this lane was naturally shut. There was an 'operational problem' which delayed our check in baggage arrival for 45 minutes once again there was no support or consideration given from airport staff. We found the organisation of the airport to be a complete shambles and the attitude of the staff was quite frankly awful. The woman who checked our passports at immigration chewing gum with a gormless expression could have quite frankly just walked off the set of 'Little Britain'- not a very inspiring entry to the UK. All in all a very disappointing experience.

Luton Airport customer review

I have to agree with other comments. Luton is the worst airport in the UK. Luton Airport stated that the £1 drop- off charge would ease congestion. Dropping some friends off the vehicle queues snaked at least a mile from the airport. Many people including those with small children were walking. Frustrated car drivers are now told they will be fined £80 if they drop passengers off anywhere on the approach road. This really is an example of ultimate greed. I only live 15 mins from Luton Airport and because of the continued chaos I always elect to fly from Stansted which is about an hours drive. At Stansted I am guaranteed ease of arrival and hassle-free parking.

Luton Airport customer review

There seems to be a growing consensus on this site that Luton is the worst airport in the UK. Having just passed through it for the first time in about 8 yrs I can confirm that view. The queues are unbelievable. Starting on the approach road and then at every possible point onwards. The operators of this airport clearly do not care about customers. They take every opportunity to charge whether it be dropping off passengers bypassing security queue priority boarding etc. The only saving grace is the business lounge which achieves an average status by UK standards - Internet is free and there are a few snacks and drinks.

Luton Airport customer review

We got to passport control having arrived from Barcelona. The queue was massive and took us 40 mins to get through - this represented about a third of the journey time. I find this wholly unacceptable: if they can not sensibly cope with the amount of traffic they should decrease the number of flights they handle.

Luton Airport customer review

I agree with the suggestion below that this is arguably the worst airport in the UK. The revolving doors at the entrance to departures struggle to cope with the footfall and are incredibly slow. There seems to be a massive lack of check in space with spiralling queues and airline staff struggling to keep queues and check-in under control. Sprinkler system activated and leaking water all over emergency doors in departures. Food outlets over-priced and food poor quality. Security queue an absolute disgrace in terms of amount of time you are expected to wait. I refuse to pay for the express service - you should not have to wait more than 15 minutes regardless of whether you pay extra. Many of us waited over 40 minutes in the normal security line. Airline staff constantly having to shout out flight numbers so certain passengers could be brought to the front of the queue to ensure that they don't miss their flight. Not professional and not a good image of the UK to be sending to the world.

Luton Airport customer review

At 6 am on a Sunday morning in April there was a queue of traffic from the terminal back to the Ibis Hotel roundabout. Took the risk of being dropped off on the road to avoid missing our flight despite the warnings of penalties for doing so. Once through the embarkation check point we found the combs before the security check were absolutely packed with anxious travellers so we 'relanded' and paid to use the security 'priority' channel. The walkways were full of highly stressed people running for their gate presumably delayed by the security queues. Moral - dont assume that there are any quiet times and give yourself 3 hours just in case. Just glad we had no luggage to check in.

Luton Airport customer review

I checked in online and was only carrying hand baggage so unable to comment of queues at the check-in security was quick through in 5-10 mins. Good selection shops restaurants and foreign exchange. Great thing with the airport is the walk to your departure gate is no more than five minutes. Arrived back around lunchtime and airport was very quiet took only 10 mins from disembarking the aircraft to exiting the terminal. Airport is 29 miles from Central London but unlike other London airports the railway station is not actually on the airport site and have to take a five minute bus ride to the station.

Luton Airport customer review

This is a budget airport and is 50 miles away from London. Transport to and from the airport is quite easy - you can get the half-hourly coach from London Victoria bus station or the train from a wide number of stations. The pre security check in halls are big and very airy and a large number of food/drink outlets. The toilets that I used were clean and security was quick though this was at 5:30am. Also security were very helpful when I lost my boarding pass and reassured me that I would still be able to fly and they did seem very professional. Once through the security airside not as bright or airy but quite big with enough seats. The pre security bit needs more seating for passengers and in the early hours it was quite cold. I didn't like the fact that they charge for the plastic bags at security when other London airports had them for free. The gate areas need more seating and more staff cohesion - someone repeatedly opening and closing the doors to a freezing airstrip at 7 in the morning when everyone is tired is not good. The airport website indicates that the coffee shop is closed but just to be on the safe side I'd go to one of the Costa or Nero stands or wait until you are airside.