Los Angeles LAX Airport

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

We flew out of LAX on August 9th. After checking in at the Delta computer station we were directed to the Security line which was at least two blocks long. We had arrived 3.5 hours early because we had heard horror stories about TSA at LAX. All horror stories were true. We stood outside for two hours and then were moved to the second security line where we stood another 30 minutes. All during the process TSA personnel would call up passengers whose flights were departing within 15 minutes and move them to the head of the line. Passengers were rewarded for arriving late at the airport! Thirty minutes before our scheduled departure we still had not reached security. We pleaded to be allowed to go to security and were finally directed to another line where we finally reached security 15 minutes before our departure. An insane system and rude incompetent TSA employees. Having finally passed through the security checkpoint cleanly I was told I would have to be "patted down" because I had on "suspicious pants." Mind you I had passed cleanly through the system. We made it to the departure gate with moments to spare. This is the worst security system I have ever encountered and the dirtiest airport with the rudest personnel.

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

I flew through LAX Terminal 2 in June on my way to Sydney. On the plus side check in was relatively painless and so was the TSA security check. However as I sat in the dirty terminal surrounded by stained carpet and broken seats I wondered if the people that run LAX have ever traveled abroad and seen the modern clean airports in Europe or Asia. This airport needs a major overhaul. It is run down and in desperate need of an upgrade and a really good clean. The food choices are very limited. This airport is a major international gateway to the US and it is a disgrace.

(Brazil)

I've used LAX so often I'm quite accustomed to it and have no big problems with it other than the traffic jams in front of each terminal making it difficult for example to see when your hotel's courtesy van is approaching. A variety of vans for private parking lots hotels and others use the same area and other people who aren't supposed to use the area also pull in. Chaotic. While in some ways it would be nice to have all terminals together so you didn't have to go outside to go from terminal to terminal the chaos that results in some airports where everyone is under one roof (eg. Atlanta) could means this would be a mixed blessing. Lots of hotels near LAX with good rates.

(China)

Arrival on delayed Asiana flight from Korea meant that immigration was empty - very efficient and friendly agents. Baggage came off quickly and we were able to get a porter to take our bags up to the domestic bag drop (as we had had our bags checked in to the final destination in Shanghai). Long walk to United domestic and fairly abrupt service from their staff as well as a long long delay by the TSA as they had obviously no idea how to screen a pram with a sleeping and sick toddler. Not a good experience. Once past the TSA everything got better and almost all our bags made our flight to San Diego - missing two items delivered later that day. It has improved but would still prefer SFO in light of the TSA.

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

What can one say about LAX that hasn't already been said one-million times before on the site? It's one of the worst airports in the world! Having arrived in afternoon peak-hour our flight was sent to one of the many remote gates at LAX requiring us to be bussed to the arrivals hall. Waiting for immigration clearance at LAX is a frustrating experience with several lines of about 100 people each being serviced by one or two immigration officials. After a 100-minute wait (seriously!) the lad who processed my arrival didn't know how to use the software properly and had to ask for assistance from a colleague which delayed the process even further. Once the passenger has actually had their passport stamped they enter the Soviet-era baggage-claim and commence their epic voyage to their connecting flight. The entire airport is grimy noisy and not at all pretty. The moral of the story is to arrive on the west coast of the USA via San Francisco or Seattle and avoid Los Angeles all together.

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

SYD-LAX transiting to ATL. Delta must have rose coloured glasses if they think 1hr 50min is sufficient time to transit LAX. After waiting 25 mins and going nowhere I skipped over to the US citizens queues and was processed quickly. Bags came off then a huge wait to get past Customs. Then to drop off bags for transfer to my continuing flight to ATL. Bags just queued up everywhere the fact that my bag made my flight was pure luck I'm sure. Last hurdle was having to clear TSA all over again - anyone trying to make an 8am flight will know the queues are obscene. After negotiating the queues and checks I had to run the concourse just making it onboard my flight as the door closed. If you arrive in LAX as first landfall and especially if you arrive at a terminal 5 (Delta) gate allow 3 hours. 1hr 50mins was just not enough - one delay in that process teamed with inadequate CBP resources and the need to re- clear TSA makes it too much of a gamble. If you have a chance to enter via SFO take it. LAX should be a complete teardown - doze it under and start fresh it's a disgrace.

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

After arriving on V Australia into terminal 1 with my wife and 14 year old daughter we found ourselves walking into a near empty terminal with little or no queues. Our bags arrived quickly. The best of American customer service was on show and greeted by a customs officer who went about his duty as required fingerprinting and photographing us but still welcoming us to the USA. Our bags were able to be transferred to our next flight which was several hours later. Next flight at terminal 3 easier to walk to than take the free bus on offer. The $7.00 bus to downtown is great value. Terminal 3 is pretty crowded with no real facilities. leave plenty of time to clear security as lines are pretty long. In all a good experience at a very busy facility!

(New Zealand)

Better then expected. Arrived at Terminal 5 which is old and dated. Flew to Mexico from Terminal B which is very spacious and modern. Good facilities and no queues. Arrival back at Terminal B was also good quickly through immigration - plenty of counters open and friendly staff. Flew back to NZ using Terminal 2 pleasantly surprised must have been renovated. Clean no queues and got to the lounge in no time at all.

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

After arriving on a 14 hour flight from Sydney we go ushered through some filthy poorly lit corridors to immigration. However the immigration area is way too small (terminal 5) and most of the flight was still queued in the hallway. After the long process of getting through customs etc no one seemed to know what the procedure for getting re-checked for my next flight. For one of the main entries into the country LAX is a total disgrace and would choose a flight to San Francisco if I ever head to USA again.

(New Zealand)

The most horrendous airport in the World. If you are in transit and there is a lengthy wait to your next flight there is nowhere to relax. Early morning check ins (7am or so) result in seemingly endless queues. Very few staff to help explain procedures that may be unknown to many travellers. Staff seem to shout requirements to inform groups of people. Food concessions are predictable and pricey. Doesn't improve over the years.