London Stansted Airport

"horrid wretched airport"

Trip Verified | Stansted airport was a total disaster trying to fly to Edinburgh. Never ever fly out of there if you can avoid it. My companion and I got there an hour early as planned. Everything went downhill from there. Got our boarding passes printed because we couldn’t get them digitally. Flying other airlines this would be absurd. Went through security and they picked my companion out for screening. His bag search took a half hour (not kidding). Then the gate and the terminal wasn’t posted on any of the screens (which were so few as to be a joke) and no one could tell us where to go. Seven staff members told us seven different things. When you have to flag down a guy with an orange vest just to try (and fail) to get you to your gate you know your airport information providing service need a lot of help. We ran crazy from gate to gate asking staff for help and we missed our first flight because of the delay that caused. Then called and rebooked for 2 hours later on Easyjet. Same thing repeated: no gate or terminal posted, no one told us we would have to go through security again until after we ran crazy again up to a half hour before the flight was scheduled to leave. No help, we were told different things from everybody who we asked for help. No instructions no posted gates or times, display screens stuck for several minutes at a time, so again we missed the second flight. At this point furious, exhausted and just wanting to escape with our lives and whatever sanity we held, we asked to leave the airport. The cherry on top of the sundae was that we had to lug all of our luggage through a long long passage of retail just trying to get out. We never made it to Edinburgh and we lost most of our Airbnb money but we were just glad to leave. I will hound them until they make this horrible experience right. Don’t fly this horrid wretched airport if you can avoid!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Heathrow and Gatwick are much better"

Trip Verified | Worst airport I have ever experience. Staffs are terribly rude (although not all of them). It was my first time using this airport and I will never ever use this airport again. Heathrow and Gatwick are much better.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Worst security check experience"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Very rude staff! I was at London Stansted airport departure area on August 19, 2019 around 2pm. My bag was checked by a very rude male staff. I had liquids so it needed to be checked. He handled the things in my bag as if they were trash. Brought them out without even bothering to ask if he can open it. I know he had to open it but it is standard procedure to ask anybody if it’s alright with them before they open or touch anything inside or just tell me that he has to take out the things in my bag. I saw other staff doing it. Then he shoved them inside as if shoving trash into a bin! It may be nothing to him but hey those are somebody else’s things. And one more thing, they give you a very small zip lock bag, something like 20cm x 15cm, and tells you to fit all your liquids inside. Policy says 100ml per container and up to 1Litre of liquids in total. How on earth are you going to fit 10 bottles of 100ml liquids in that bag and be able to zip it? Worst security check experience at an airport ever.

"Absolutely disgraceful"

Trip Verified | . We arrived today, 18th August at 12am, only to find out that there were only 6 immigration officers vs hundred of passengers, many with young children. Some of us had to wait , nearly 1 and a half to 2 hours to get out of the airport. Absolutely disgraceful
Date VisitAugust 2019

"hardly anywhere to eat or sit"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Normally just rude, unhelpful security area and passport control staff, now hardly anywhere to eat or sit whilst building work being done. I travel lot from Scotland to Italy and try to avoid this place, it’s pretty miserable, but sometimes with connections there is no option.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"rude and arrogant people"

Not Verified | My review is about the security team. What rude and arrogant people they are. We queued to put our belongings in the trays, and then waited to go through the X-ray machine. When myself, husband and two children arrived at the X-ray machine we were shouted at by a lady who can only be described as a matron! "Urgh, why are you wearing your jackets?" We had hooded sweaters on by the way, "Get back and put them in a tray!" She was so rude but there was nobody to complain to. What a shambles and what a horrible start to anyone's holiday. There were no signs telling us to remove our sweaters and the other staff didn't mention it either. We then had to queue again by which time she had moved to bag checking. I understand it's a stressful job but suck it up lady, you don't need to be rude and obnoxious to people.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"the worst airport we visit"

Not Verified | We use lots of different airports but this is head and shoulders the worst airport we visit. The waiting time to get through security on departure and the passport controls on arrivals are a joke. Half the e-readers for passports are not working at any one time and every time I have arrived its been a minimum of 20 mins wait being shunted while rude staff bark orders. The departure lounge has nowhere near enough seating and the seats are uncomfortable. The place is a joke of an airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"staff were extremely rude and unhelpful"

Not Verified | Where do I start, I had been checking for the gate number for ages, once this showed I went straight to the gate to then be pushed and shoved by loads of people all trying to get on to the same train. Once everyone was on this train finally, the train broke down (Stansted fault)! All passengers were advised to get of the train and wait for assistance. No staff come. Was then told everyone had to go down a 5 people lift as this was the only way to get back downstairs, once half of the people went down by lift, we was then suddenly advised there was actually another way by going down stairs, which should of been said in the first place. Was told Ryanair are aware of the fault with the train and will wait. Did this happen? No the flight had took off already leaving over 30-50 people missing their flight. Had to wait over 1 hour to reclaim baggage where the staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. Then had to queue for over a hour again at customer services which was then told no other flights are available and was given a sheet of people to complain as they wont do anything else! I have taken Stansted to watch dog and I will to many other places as I will be fighting for a full refund which they have refused. I would never recommend Stansted and would never return specially after reading reviews on here!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"What a terrible experience"

Not Verified | What a terrible experience this airport has become especially if arriving in the early hours. Flight delayed on arrival, had to sit on the runway as no staff to open doors. Passport control queues enormous. Slow baggage reclaim. Toilets disgusting, unclean and unattended. Just arrived from Turkey where the facilities put Stansted to shame. If you can't cope with the flights why do you carry on extending them.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"no-one around to monitor or rectify"

Trip Verified | Fast Track security had queues longer than the normal route but no-one around to monitor or rectify. Men's toilet cubicles once through security were all out of order. The endless shops that then follow with no escape route from the overcrowded single route invoke a lack of control and came close to invoking claustrophobia. The next set of toilets were well hidden, and had 15 men queueing for the few cubicles. Clearly inadequate provision. The Quiet Seating Area, though hidden behind an unmarked door, is an oasis of calm and how I'd prefer my airport experience.
Date VisitJune 2019