London Stansted Airport

"a disgrace of an airport"

Trip Verified | What an absolute shambles and a disgrace of an airport. I fly generally into East Midlands Airport but unfortunately again I had the misfortune to return to France from this airport. Drop off baggage for Ryanair is an unorganised joke. Then I carried through to "not so fast track" as if you go through normal security in summer you will miss your flight. After waiting about 30 minutes through so called "Fast Track" you wind yourself through a labyrinth of shops until you reach seats where there are hardly any available. Eventually got to gate 37 (via light railway). We were promptly processed into the hold point for an eternity. Eventually we were told our plane was now going from another gate so the whole bad experience was repeated. Choose another airport & do not give revenue here. Even Luton is much quicker to get to from London with the new dart (32 Minutes). Sack the Management team.
Date VisitJune 2023

"like we're herded cattle"

Not Verified | Stansted is just a dingy grim place to be, especially when arriving back. For departure I arrived at 6am (one of the first flight out) and the terminal was disgusting! Only good thing was security was quick to get through. The arrivals area is just a load of steel walled portacabins stuck together, absolutely filthy carpets and when you get to the main terminal it's all enclosed in with plain temporary walls, it's like we're herded cattle.
Date VisitJune 2023

"Pretty poor on the whole"

Trip Verified | Pretty poor on the whole. Crowded and cramped with too many shops. Food and drink options are fair by UK airport standards. Signage particularly is abysmal.
Date VisitJanuary 2023

"It’s a disaster"

Not Verified | It’s grim, very grim. Almost nothing is done with the passenger in mind. So, horrid snake queues in security, shouting staff, rubbish all over the place, time-wasting passage through duty free, massively inflated prices at retailers (presumably because rents are stratospheric), filthy loos, car drop off charges. It’s a disaster and should be closed down.
Date VisitMarch 2023

"There is no smoking area"

(Lithuania)

Not Verified | There is no smoking area, I am very disappointed, I want a smoke and have to wait five hours for the next flight. This is unacceptable, I do not recommend for anyone to arrive or departure here.
Date VisitMarch 2023

"by far the worst airport"

Not Verified | This is by far the worst airport I have ever passed through. Even after following all security requests, the rude and honestly just plain nasty staff still treated us like criminals. Didn't matter we were being polite. After having all bags unpacked and swabbed for bomb residue. And having our person searched. Coming in second worst...Edinburgh Airport. If I never see them again, it won't hurt my feelings.
Date VisitJanuary 2023

"Treated us all like cattle"

Not Verified | It was awful. A week ago I reviewed Stansted airport and I'm afraid I said it was awful. A week later I returned. It was worse. Off the plane onto "cattle truck" buses. They were already packed and they asked us to allow more people on. There were children packed like sardines. I think I might have broken my foot. Absolutely dire. Treated us all like cattle. Terrible airport.
Date VisitDecember 2022

"ongoing problem with family line at border control"

Trip Verified | This is an ongoing problem with family line at border control at Stansted Airport. You are sent to a longest queue if you have children under 12 years old. I do understand shortage of staff plays a role, but there doesn't seem to be any common sense or active management when it comes to this particular line on entry. This is a common seen that : we have 2 border control officers working for 10 times longer family queue but we also have same amount or more officers sitting at the self scan side (just in case a passport did not scan and they need immediate help) or non EU passport side, in both cases queue are either non existent or very short in comparison to family queue. Seems like someone is taking pleasure in letting families with young tired children wait in this line for over an hour sometimes 2h it is absolutely disgusting. Considering this could be easily sorted (or at least made not as painful) by pulling some officers from where the queues are much shorter and placing them to assist family line border control. I do hope this will be looked at as it is just so poorly managed.
Date VisitDecember 2022

"No initiative at the assistance desk"

Not Verified | No initiative or can-do attitude at the assistance desk. Waiting for an hour along with 10 (no less!!) porters and another 4 passengers for no logical reason! If the porters took the passengers who are already here, they'd get them out of the way. They ask companions to wheel their own wheelchairs due to lack of staff, and staff are sitting here playing games on their mobiles and chatting merrily. This is a very helpful provision, invaluable for those of us who have mobility issues but they need to get their act together.
Date VisitOctober 2022

"its expensive and gone downhill"

Not Verified | I have travelled via this Airport for Leisure and Business and never been happy. For parking your Car its the most expensive place that I have ever known. It was cheaper in the hands of BAA, But since Manchester Airport Group got their grubby hands on the place, its expensive and gone downhill - I personally hate the place and prefer Gatwick.
Date VisitAugust 2022