London Stansted Airport

"had a truly negative experience"

(Bulgaria)

Trip Verified | I had a truly negative experience at Stansted airport, due to the staff’s incompetence. First of all, I’ve never met more impolite people in my life, specifically at the security check. I missed my flight, due to their slow work and lazyness, and the only thing I had in response was: that’s a problem for you, sir, not for me. In every other airport, when I have told people at security, I’m about to miss my flight, they do everything that’s possible to get me faster, but not at Stansted. Secondly, the queuing times everywhere are between 30-40 minutes, which is considerably high, considering the relatively small size of the airport. Thirdly, moving through the duty free area is making you feel like you are in an Ikea shop with all the turns that take you eventually (after 10 minutes of walking) to the signs that show you your gate. There were some other minor problems, which I wont’t discuss, but overall my experience there was awful!

"improvements are needed"

Not Verified | Unlike a lot of the previous reviewers, my time spent here was largely positive. Arrival was fine, no queues or having to wait around. I did notice when departing though, that only two of the ticket gates were operational, fortunately there weren't many people about. This would be a major issue if there were long queues and major flight delays. After security you have the usual shops and eateries, lack of seating is an issue here and the departure area can feel very congested, again a nightmare if there were major flight delays. In conclusion, not the awful experience I was expecting but improvements are needed, perhaps a big expansion is the answer.

"Be warned!"

Not Verified | If after this review you still use this airport to fly into and out of then you deserve everything that comes your way. I am a frequent flyer and can honestly say this takes the cake. Be warned! Flew into Stansted from Bordeaux on our way to Luxembourg City. Baggage was 1.5 hours late to get onto belt! Customer service might as well be a brick wall. Food, seats and ambience is probably better at Rikers Island Jail! Do not fly into Stansted.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"worst airport ever"

Trip Verified | Simply, worst airport ever. I had travelled a lot around the world and Stansted is the worst one. I had the pleasure of departing from Stansted a couple of times and every time that was the worst experience. Last time I flew in December and at night time they shut half of the airport and all terminal seating. People had to sit on the floor during the night. Stansted didn't provide any place to sit such as chairs or any replacement. This is only one from many other examples. Avoid it at all costs.

"absolute mayhem"

Not Verified | Horrendous queue on a Monday morning for security, absolute mayhem. Wife had to remove boots and then have a body search, meanwhile her bag, purse, etc could have been stolen, or gone missing as it was away down the rolling road! Nowhere to sit for a drink, no space on the driverless trains going or coming back, a cattlemarket.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Passport gates do not work"

Not Verified | Passport gates do not work. When will Stansted airport accept this?? The queue is insane every single time. The machines that read the passports simply do not work. I travel through this airport a lot, probably once a month and 90% of the time I waste so much time queuing for the machines for it to not work and then re-queue in another section. It's ridiculous. They do not work. Replace them.

"the worst airport ever"

(Oman)

Not Verified | This is the worst airport ever. People would queue up for an average of 3-4 hours to get past the border check. There are few employees and large crowds. It is almost difficult to control. It's definitely the worst arrival airport that I have had experienced so far. I would rather pay a bit more and arrive somewhere else like Gatwick or Heathrow. With departure it's ok.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"had an unhappy experience"

Trip Verified | I had an unhappy experience as I negotiated airport security. Other passengers in front of me were seen by me to be hassled by one officer in particular. Alright I acknowledge it was crowded at that particular time but not overly. The feed through channels were empty at the entrances. There are airport ambassadors at each baggage security box/gate, who are in charge of who goes next to the trays to be loaded, and a male officer at the other side of the walk-through metal detector. In my case this man was directing everyone including the people who had yet to walk through the archway. I think certain officers take too much on themselves to be a "head of security" type and want or need to boss passengers. Everyone wants to be processed through security as painlessly as possible. My experience was not painless. I am 60 yrs old and I have an IC D in my chest and I had a hospital card saying so. This I handed to an officer who was supervising the placement of objects in the trays. He turned to the other male officer beyond the metal arch to ask what to do with it! "Do I scan this?" It is my ID card for proof of the inserted device in my body! Security staff should be told about these ICD/Pacemaker cards. This officer then dropped my card and paperwork, through the rollers. I became stressed at this because I thought the card would be lost. I need it for future flying. He did not even glance at it. Eventually he found it and handed it back to me. I took it, I admit a bit bluntly, because I was unduly stressed. His "boss" on the other side then started to scold me about my manner. If the first officer had apologised because he dropped it, I think I would have calmed down. It was the millimetre wave scanner officer who was aggressive towards me that made the whole process painful. While scolding me he asked me to put my boots in a tray and told me to step into the wave scanner. He would have seen the IC D device in my chest. I was then given a body search by a woman. Officers should be aware that passengers get stressed and devices are in some passengers. And they ought to be taught manners to deal with we passengers. Everyone should act with common courtesy, passengers are stuck in the lines with no escape from bad manners and aggression from security people. It's not fair on us. I don't want to go to Stansted Airport after this episode as I might meet this officer again. It would be too worrying to think I might be put in a similar situation again.

"Avoid at all costs"

Not Verified | 40 minutes stuck on the plane because there was nobody to come and open the door. The captain had to get off the plane and look for somebody as apparently nobody was picking up the phone. Avoid this airport at all costs as they will only react once they airport managers see revenue start declining sharply.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"An awful experience both ways"

(Spain)

Not Verified | An awful experience both ways. On arrival long queues and unhelpful staff. When departing long queues just to get through bag drop then treated like cattle being pushed through security. The staff were unhelpful, their unachieved aim to get us through quickly seemed to have overwhelmed their common humanity. The experience totally stressed out the whole of my party. Once through and hoping to take some time to recover we were inundated by shops. Sell, sell, sell. No seats. No chance to recover from our ordeal. At the end of the imposed walk through what seemed like a retail park the food hall is a mass of people piled into too few outlets. The best value being Wetherspoons which was overwhelmed by numbers. We all remarked that the information boards are much too small resulting in people crowding round them. After the experience of using Stansted even boarding the Ryanair flight was a relief.
Date VisitSeptember 2018