London Stansted Airport

"designed around shopping"

Trip Verified | Overcrowded airport with not enough seating. The airport departure area is clearly designed around shopping and not for customer comfort or utility. There are no decent seating areas, crowded/non-existent walk ways, nowhere to recharge electricals, terrible lighting for reading (while the lights are in the shops to try to pull you in there) Also the security X-ray machines were broken when we came through. It was pulling out 4 out of every 5 trays - even ones with almost nothing in them (while leaving others with lots in them to go through). 4 out of 5 of our trays were put in for screening (4 passengers) - and all 4 had almost nothing in them. the staff said they were pulled out 'because they were too light!). The one bag with lots of electricals in it was not screened. The security staff were very hassled and said this is a recurrent problem that they have raised - but nothing has been done. Some security staff were getting angry with passengers who were about to miss flights due to the delays. It is quite worrying that this will weaken security at the airport.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"progressively worse over the years"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Stansted Airport has got progressively worse over the years and is now utterly appalling in nearly every aspect. Last night we arrived from Madrid and had to queue for 55 minutes to clear passport control - utterly appalling. There were just five customs officers at the desks to check the passports of what must have been more than a thousand people, easily. Their security staff are rude and unhelpful when you are flying out of the airport, and the shopping mall that you must walk through on arrival is a huge inconvenience. Their recent refurbishment of the lounge has packed in so many shops and restaurants that there is no room left for actual people, given passengers a sense of overcrowding and stress. There is also no fast lane for people traveling with small children. The only reason I use this airport is because it is closest to my parents' house, but if I can I avoid it like the plague.

"Staff is unhelpful"

(Spain)

Not Verified | The queues are very long and tiring, and the bag drop off makes absolutely no sense as no one knew what to do (including myself). They expect you to know that you have to rub the sticker together instead of taking it off. This unhelpful staff member just told us that we did it wrong and ripped it off my luggage and told me to go somewhere else. Staff is unhelpful and overall it’s not a good experience, and it was quite annoying
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Stuck in the stone age"

Not Verified | Using their internet to tell the how awful this airport is. Such bad management and long queues. I think this is easily the longest queue I have ever experienced. Stuck in the stone age.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"a poor effort at passenger convenience"

Not Verified | An airport that makes the traveller feel like he/she should have stayed at home. Modern charging facilities no existant. Outside mens toilet 1 usb charging point. Degrading having to sit outside toilet entry to charge phone. In departure area no working sockets anywhere. Security pulling bags for no apparent reason. Delaying and dehumanising passengers seems to be the objective. No reason or understanding on show. Very poor food choices and overall a poor effort at passenger covenience.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Do not use the taxi terminal service"

Trip Verified | Taxi Service total con job. The terminal taxi service is a total con. Not only does it generate a long queue dangerously right across the terminal exit, it was givin a taxi waiting time of 2 hours last night having already queued fit 40 mins to get to their desk. The quote was £60 for a 12 mile journey. We googled taxis and got one for £45 that picked us up in 10 minutes. Do not use the taxi terminal service. They have a monopoly and are understaffed despite ripping people off. Because of them being there, there is no taxi rank and the only way to get contact numbers of the dozens of local taxi companies is to google or go to the terminal information desk to get a list. Local taxis aren’t allowed to tout for business at the terminal so the Terminal Taxi Desk can carry on overcharging for long delay taxis and having long queues. Stansted needs a taxi rank.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"unsatisfactory use of Stansted airport"

Not Verified | I will start at the beginning of an unsatisfactory use of Stansted airport. We had booked the car into long stay car park, where the signs were not clear as to which car park we were to park in. A member of staff told us to use B. When we got there it was closed! Luckily the bus driver then pointed us in right direction. We had booked airport assistance (and a mobility scooter on to the flight). We arrived at the desk and the member of staff was more interested talking on the phone about staff breaks than dealing with us. As we hadn't taken the scooter before we asked when that got checked in "later" was all we were told. Then told to meet them at departure for the lift up to plane. We had to ask again for assistance to check bags in. Scooter in a roped queue does not work! We then had assistance from a member of staff that took us to nearly every queue for our airline as he had no idea what he was doing. We then had to ask another member of staff, who was actually helpful, how we got to security with the scooter as it wouldn't go through the gates. Lanzarote when we arrived and departed were amazing and nothing was too much trouble. Return to Stansted. No lift had been booked, even though two members of the public had it on their boarding pass. Told none available and that they would man handle them down the steps to get off. It was wet and windy. I had to walk down unable to hold on due to carrying 2 hand luggage, my mum who has a stair lift at home and finds it painful at the time and for days after had to walk down the steps. The other gentleman used 2 crutches. I can't see how they can get away with that! Disgraceful! When finally got to the bus to go back to the car park the driver got off to do the ramp for mums scooter and her exact words were "how much does that thing weigh?" rude! She then muttered and tutted as I explained it had been fine to get over to the airport. She looked at the ramp and said, I guess weight is OK. It said it can take 350kg, the scooter was 45kg! So unhelpful!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"poor and ineffective management"

Not Verified | Departure no issues. On return train from terminal broken, ok these things happen, and was packed like sardines on a bus. The electronic passport gates did not accept my passport and had to queue to be annually checked. Only one person at passport control. Queue about 100 and growing. Felt sorry for the lone operative. Shame on the extremely poor and ineffective management, or lack thereof.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"3 hours in passport control"

Trip Verified | I have landed to Stansted on 20 September and I have waited 3 hours in passport control. They have 7 staff members for the EU nationals but they only had 2 staff allocated to non-EU nationals. I cannot believe how an airport cannot plan the arrivals accordingly. Waiting 3 hours with kids is not humanistic. Avoid this airport at all costs, if you don’t want to wait 3 hours in the line.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"the airport deliberately delayed passengers"

Not Verified | I went to pick up my son and his girlfriend who arrived here on 16/9/2018. According to a flight scanning website, their flight from Malpensa was scheduled to arrive at 1920. I timed my arrival so I would enter the car park more or less around the same time. I parked in the Orange Short Term Car Park and entered the Terminal at around 1920. (This was after spending about 10 minutes driving around the car park looking for an empty bay. There is no system to point you towards free spaces). The flight was shown as having landed at 1919. In the end, it took them until 2020 to clear the electronic immigration gate and pick up their bags. Result: a car park charge of £16.50. It's almost as if the airport deliberately delayed passengers in order to squeeze more money from extended car park stays. I would have spend half the time and money picking up my son from Heathrow, and he - living overseas - always has outsized baggage with him.