London Stansted Airport

"No initiative at the assistance desk"

Not Verified | No initiative or can-do attitude at the assistance desk. Waiting for an hour along with 10 (no less!!) porters and another 4 passengers for no logical reason! If the porters took the passengers who are already here, they'd get them out of the way. They ask companions to wheel their own wheelchairs due to lack of staff, and staff are sitting here playing games on their mobiles and chatting merrily. This is a very helpful provision, invaluable for those of us who have mobility issues but they need to get their act together.
Date VisitOctober 2022

"its expensive and gone downhill"

Not Verified | I have travelled via this Airport for Leisure and Business and never been happy. For parking your Car its the most expensive place that I have ever known. It was cheaper in the hands of BAA, But since Manchester Airport Group got their grubby hands on the place, its expensive and gone downhill - I personally hate the place and prefer Gatwick.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"dirtiest and smelliest place"

Trip Verified | This Airport is honestly the grubbiest, dirtiest and smelliest place I've ever known. We had to arrive from Aberdeen at 1am, so we had to slouch on the dirtiest floor ever, not one seat in that entrance floor for the many early arrivals who are keeping you staff paid, which on my estimation was 130+. We as humans don't ask for much maybe some comforts when having to wait 5 hours at the stinkiest airport ever. Once thru departure again no where to sit, quiet area is a filthy mess, where are the charging points, oh yes on the wall next to 3 seats that every single overnighter is trying to sleep on so they can charge their phone. Why can't install an internal smoking area after security?
Date VisitAugust 2022

"staff were pleasant and well mannered"

Trip Verified | We all wish to fly safely and yet the animosity directed towards the security staff was palpable. I experienced a full search of my bags during which the staff were pleasant and well mannered. They checked the time of my flight and carried out the search quickly and efficiently. In these difficult times we are experiencing circumstances that are thrust upon all of and venting frustration upon those who equally have no choice does not further the cause. We can always find rudeness in stressful situations but we are better people if we find a way to pull together.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"Stansted is a truly awful airport"

Trip Verified | Stansted is a truly awful airport. The security checks and following airside eateries are woefully under-resourced relative to passenger volumes. Travelling with a family is a dreadful experience; the restaurants are full to capacity and there is no space to sit within central atrium due to the over-utilisation or lack of space. Utter greed dictates a ridiculous space allocation to duty free, compounding the above issues. The toilets are disgusting and again woefully short to support passenger volume. Zero regard for passenger experience.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"avoid if at all possible"

Not Verified | Stansted airport used to be my airport of choice - its now the opposite, avoid if at all possible. The airport terminal has been ruined by the greed of the operators, full of retail outlets that one has to traipse through to get to the departure area. When you get there its devoid of adequate seating and there are massive queues at the food outlets. The security staff are rude, shouting at you as you pass through. To drop someone off at the terminal you are ripped-off.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Border control didn't give a damn"

Not Verified | Flew back to Stansted on 5th May at about 18.30 and the arrivals hall was a seething mass desperately trying to get through Passport control. The Emergency lane was opened for about five minutes before some half-wit decided to close it. There were only about 8 'officers' manning the 23 desks and many of the face recognition lanes were malfunctioning. An abomination and an appalling situation that should never have been allowed to happen. The so-called Border control didn't give a damn and were utterly apathetic to people's genuine anguish and despair.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Security control a disaster"

Not Verified | Security control a disaster, rude angry people. Enjoy harassing and threatening for no reason. Disgusting behaviour. I feel like staff shortages gave rubbish a way into the industry. They certainly don't deserve to be anywhere near customers.
Date VisitMay 2022

"treated as a second class person"

Trip Verified | Never in my life have I even been treated as a second class person, then when using the disabled assistance on my return to the UK at Stansted, the Airport was notified prior to leaving Malta and 30 minutes before landing that there were disabled people on board needing assistance. 45 minutes we were left hanging on the plane after everyone else had departed the aircraft, nobody gave a damn. They even didn't bring enough wheelchairs, plus over an hour just to get off the plane and through passport control, then more waiting to find luggage. Because of this we missed our train home and had to catch the next one, which involved 4 changes. instead of the 2 it should have been, we did ask to speak to someone but nobody came, no apologies for the the delays nothing, it was a complete mess from the moment we touched down.
Date VisitApril 2022

"Airport is total chaos"

Trip Verified | Airport is total chaos. On arrival, poor signage led us up a long hallway with a fire door propped open to the outdoors, leaving us to wander around the outside of the building struggling to find a way back in to reach the train station. Eventually entered again through Arrivals to search for the train transfer entrance which was also poorly indicated. On departure again, we arrived 2 hours early to get through security, but at least the terrible service and arbitrary enforcement of rules kept the queues low. Staff select travellers to enforce the rules seemingly at random, with my partner and I using the same brand and size of clear washbag for liquid toiletries and only one of us passed their inspection. I was forced to throw out more than half of my decanted miniatures as the staff gave me a bag much smaller than the 20 x 20 limit. This has never happened at any other UK airport, and one would expect it to happen to both parties rather than one. After sorting through my stuff, replacing watch (which I’ve never been asked to remove) and reaching my partner at the food area we found almost everything closed, with so little seating available or decent amenities for travellers. The airport feels like it’s closing down any moment, sparse and with low lighting. Difficult to find departure gate screens, and the notice given is spectacularly short. We were sat with a girl who was left less than 10 minutes to find her gate, despite the promise that the gate would be announced 40 minutes beforehand. In an airport where gates may be up to 25 min walk away, and the staff are impossible to catch for help, directions or information. This is obviously a massive risk for an able-bodied person, so the management need to address this before their incompetence negatively impacts passengers with mobility issues. Half the toilet cubicles were either locked or full of people looking for one comfortable place to sit. The only decent staff to be found were in the Camden Food Co., who were deeply apologetic about their kitchen being closed and absolutely lovely. Not enough to make it worthwhile for travelling through again though! An absolute hellhole and the train transfers from London are constantly impacted by works or issues. This makes it even less convenient to use as the trip today took 1 hr 40 with replacement bus service, meaning that we left the city almost 4 hours before our flight. Ridiculous setup all around, Luton and Gatwick much better bets even with slightly higher flight prices. The random enforcement of rules and waste of time has cost me more money than the £40 I saved!
Date VisitApril 2022