London Stansted Airport

"online departures board is consistently useless"

Trip Verified | Other reviewers have noted the various issues that make flying via Stansted a bit gruelling. My particular gripe is the online departures board, which is consistently useless. When I select my flight – i.e. FR522 – it tells me that there are 'no results found'. And when I try to establish whether my wife's flight is airborne, all it tells me is 'scheduled'. I could go on. The web page tells me that "We are currently making improvements". OK – but this has been going on for at least 6 months, which one would have thought is long enough to get things right.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the place needs a serious refurbishment"

Not Verified | Where to start? Landside departures is looking it's age and I'm glad to see it's having a facelift. Airside departures is fine with plenty of choice, but the transfer signage to the gates was confusing, was the transit working to the gates or not? Even the staff weren't clear with information, so it was purely guesswork. Upon arrival, and walking into the terminal building (do those air bridges actually work?). We were met with poor signage, a non working escalator and an absence of staff. Practically all of the passengers from our flight were having to guess which way to go. Stansted Airport is a mess, it's WiFi connection is a joke, the place needs a serious refurbishment - sooner rather than later.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"a thoroughly miserable experience"

Trip Verified | Stansted is a thoroughly miserable experience. From the extortionate long stay parking that is miles from the airport, to the cattle market style security lines, there is very little to be positive about. Having walked through the inappropriately sophisticated looking shopping mall it turned out the train to the satellite gate buildings was broken. A lengthy walk ensued through strange hallways and staircases to another miserable building. To top it off, Ryanair. Low-cost to the extreme. I would willingly pay extra to not have to fly from Stansted. Why on earth Emirates thinks it’s a good idea to fly from there I do not know.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"will not be using this airport in the future"

Not Verified | Ended up at this god forsaken airport when Thomas Cook went belly up. Took the airport landing crew 20 minutes to connect the steps up to the aircraft and a further 90 plus minutes to unload the baggage. I will not be using this airport in the future.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"what a terrible way to run an airport"

Not Verified | Collecting my friends from Stansted. Ariving there are signs to indicate collection and drop off, there is no mention of this being an area with charges. Collecting my friends I headed to the exit and was met with a queue of people, there appeared to be no reasoning for the delay untill it was my turn to leave and I was asked to pay £25! There was no previous indication that there was a charge, each person making the exit was as shocked as me, this causes a queue to form. If this is how this airport operates, I will not be returning, what a terrible way to run an airport. I fly weekly from Gatwick, I often have the option to use Stansted, I would not return, it is clearly poorly managed.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"worst airport I’ve experienced"

Not Verified | The worst airport that I’ve experienced in this country. It’s really disorganised and staff is super unhelpful, specifically security staff. The security staff through gate is not helpful at all they only rely customers to call through emergency hotline. If you ask them about the area for example because we are lost and ask the airline they do not know as well even just simple assistance of the area of the airplane.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"queues although long were dealt with efficiently"

Trip Verified | With all of the bad reviews for London Stansted recently I was again a little concerned for out trip. We arrived very early at the airport for our outbound flight and once parked up in the excellant Mid stay car park we caught the bus to the terminal. There is a degree of modernisation work being completed at the moment mainly outside so this has reduced the outside seating a little. We had already checked in online and waited for the bag drop to open which opened really quite early, about 3.5 hours before our departure time. Most of the bag drop is self service now but there are people on hand to help out. There were quite long queues at security but these moved on with great efficiency and the staff were also helpful and quite friendly something that is missing from many airport security staff. Once through we did some shopping at the duty free and there is a good range of shops to choose from. There is also quite a good selection of bars and places to eat with prices as you would expect in any airport. Seating around this area is busy but spaces can usually be found. We went to the gate and again the seating was adequate. The plane was boarded in an orderly manner and we left early. Our return trip was quite late arriving in Stansted, there were long queues for the Epassport gates which I don't really like using, they always seem temperamental to me, anyway by the time we got through passport control our luggage was already on the belt. After collection we waited about 10 minutes for the return bus to the mid stay car park. All staff we interacted with were pleasant and friendly, the queues although long were dealt with efficiently.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"oblivious to the chaos that was unfolding"

(Spain)

Not Verified | Due to strikes we were in queue for 35 minutes - no problem. However the behaviour of the security staff who were checking bags was disgraceful. They intentionally took as long as possible to check each bag, while having social conversations with colleagues in a nonchalant fashion, seemingly oblivious to the chaos that was unfolding. One staff member in particular was particularly bad. Terrible experience and found their behaviour galling.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"very good and courteous staff"

Not Verified | I have now travelled a few times from this airport after I moved to Cambridge from Manchester. This is a great airport with very good and courteous staff. Wait times are reasonable for holiday period and very impressed. Airport is small and has all facilities needed. I will always use this airport. Well done Stansted. I have not had a great experience at Manchester airport in the past and had posted reviews about poor experience in the past. This is a welcome change.

"horrid wretched airport"

Trip Verified | Stansted airport was a total disaster trying to fly to Edinburgh. Never ever fly out of there if you can avoid it. My companion and I got there an hour early as planned. Everything went downhill from there. Got our boarding passes printed because we couldn’t get them digitally. Flying other airlines this would be absurd. Went through security and they picked my companion out for screening. His bag search took a half hour (not kidding). Then the gate and the terminal wasn’t posted on any of the screens (which were so few as to be a joke) and no one could tell us where to go. Seven staff members told us seven different things. When you have to flag down a guy with an orange vest just to try (and fail) to get you to your gate you know your airport information providing service need a lot of help. We ran crazy from gate to gate asking staff for help and we missed our first flight because of the delay that caused. Then called and rebooked for 2 hours later on Easyjet. Same thing repeated: no gate or terminal posted, no one told us we would have to go through security again until after we ran crazy again up to a half hour before the flight was scheduled to leave. No help, we were told different things from everybody who we asked for help. No instructions no posted gates or times, display screens stuck for several minutes at a time, so again we missed the second flight. At this point furious, exhausted and just wanting to escape with our lives and whatever sanity we held, we asked to leave the airport. The cherry on top of the sundae was that we had to lug all of our luggage through a long long passage of retail just trying to get out. We never made it to Edinburgh and we lost most of our Airbnb money but we were just glad to leave. I will hound them until they make this horrible experience right. Don’t fly this horrid wretched airport if you can avoid!