London Stansted Airport

"I am never going to fly through Stansted again"

Not Verified | The people at security are the absolute worst. They pulled aside 90-95% of the bags that went through screening to hand check them, and you know why? Because everything counts as a liquid. The security agent that went through my bag told me that my jar of lip balm (not gloss, balm), my mascara, my solid lush face wash all counted as liquids and needed to fit into a sandwich size bag in order to keep it (like, a bag half the size of the normal allowance). When I was like “excuse you, my solid lip balm is not a liquid”, she said anything spreadable (including nutella or peanut butter) is a liquid and needs to fit in their tiny bags in order to take it with you. She gave me attitude about why I didn’t check my bag, if I’m from the US isn’t security stricter there (no, actually, they don’t count my mascara or solid lip balm or lip gloss as liquids that need to fit in the 1l bag). Anyway, the people at security are extremely rude and I am never going to fly through Stansted again.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"nowhere comfortable to sit"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Waiting for a flight to Sardinia, absolutely nowhere comfortable to sit. They provide a couple of short rails which can accommodate maybe 50 in discomfort, whilst hundreds wander round with nowhere to go, no attempt to make passengers comfortable. We are only useful to spend money in the few shops that are here. My advice is to avoid this place if you possibly can, they should go to Amsterdam or Bergamo to learn how to treat us like human beings.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Long queuing at security"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Long queuing at the security check, the staff is arrogant, the security check is too thorough. Once I missed my flight because the staff refused to put my suitcase that got to the manual check line to the front although I clearly said I was going to miss the flight if they hadn't done so. Today again, 30 minutes in the line because of a keyboard and some cables in the hand luggage.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"online departures board is consistently useless"

Trip Verified | Other reviewers have noted the various issues that make flying via Stansted a bit gruelling. My particular gripe is the online departures board, which is consistently useless. When I select my flight – i.e. FR522 – it tells me that there are 'no results found'. And when I try to establish whether my wife's flight is airborne, all it tells me is 'scheduled'. I could go on. The web page tells me that "We are currently making improvements". OK – but this has been going on for at least 6 months, which one would have thought is long enough to get things right.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the place needs a serious refurbishment"

Not Verified | Where to start? Landside departures is looking it's age and I'm glad to see it's having a facelift. Airside departures is fine with plenty of choice, but the transfer signage to the gates was confusing, was the transit working to the gates or not? Even the staff weren't clear with information, so it was purely guesswork. Upon arrival, and walking into the terminal building (do those air bridges actually work?). We were met with poor signage, a non working escalator and an absence of staff. Practically all of the passengers from our flight were having to guess which way to go. Stansted Airport is a mess, it's WiFi connection is a joke, the place needs a serious refurbishment - sooner rather than later.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"a thoroughly miserable experience"

Trip Verified | Stansted is a thoroughly miserable experience. From the extortionate long stay parking that is miles from the airport, to the cattle market style security lines, there is very little to be positive about. Having walked through the inappropriately sophisticated looking shopping mall it turned out the train to the satellite gate buildings was broken. A lengthy walk ensued through strange hallways and staircases to another miserable building. To top it off, Ryanair. Low-cost to the extreme. I would willingly pay extra to not have to fly from Stansted. Why on earth Emirates thinks it’s a good idea to fly from there I do not know.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"will not be using this airport in the future"

Not Verified | Ended up at this god forsaken airport when Thomas Cook went belly up. Took the airport landing crew 20 minutes to connect the steps up to the aircraft and a further 90 plus minutes to unload the baggage. I will not be using this airport in the future.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"what a terrible way to run an airport"

Not Verified | Collecting my friends from Stansted. Ariving there are signs to indicate collection and drop off, there is no mention of this being an area with charges. Collecting my friends I headed to the exit and was met with a queue of people, there appeared to be no reasoning for the delay untill it was my turn to leave and I was asked to pay £25! There was no previous indication that there was a charge, each person making the exit was as shocked as me, this causes a queue to form. If this is how this airport operates, I will not be returning, what a terrible way to run an airport. I fly weekly from Gatwick, I often have the option to use Stansted, I would not return, it is clearly poorly managed.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"worst airport I’ve experienced"

Not Verified | The worst airport that I’ve experienced in this country. It’s really disorganised and staff is super unhelpful, specifically security staff. The security staff through gate is not helpful at all they only rely customers to call through emergency hotline. If you ask them about the area for example because we are lost and ask the airline they do not know as well even just simple assistance of the area of the airplane.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"queues although long were dealt with efficiently"

Trip Verified | With all of the bad reviews for London Stansted recently I was again a little concerned for out trip. We arrived very early at the airport for our outbound flight and once parked up in the excellant Mid stay car park we caught the bus to the terminal. There is a degree of modernisation work being completed at the moment mainly outside so this has reduced the outside seating a little. We had already checked in online and waited for the bag drop to open which opened really quite early, about 3.5 hours before our departure time. Most of the bag drop is self service now but there are people on hand to help out. There were quite long queues at security but these moved on with great efficiency and the staff were also helpful and quite friendly something that is missing from many airport security staff. Once through we did some shopping at the duty free and there is a good range of shops to choose from. There is also quite a good selection of bars and places to eat with prices as you would expect in any airport. Seating around this area is busy but spaces can usually be found. We went to the gate and again the seating was adequate. The plane was boarded in an orderly manner and we left early. Our return trip was quite late arriving in Stansted, there were long queues for the Epassport gates which I don't really like using, they always seem temperamental to me, anyway by the time we got through passport control our luggage was already on the belt. After collection we waited about 10 minutes for the return bus to the mid stay car park. All staff we interacted with were pleasant and friendly, the queues although long were dealt with efficiently.
Date VisitAugust 2019