London Stansted Airport

"the place has got worse"

Trip Verified | Haven't flown from Stansted for several years (even though it is my local airport I choose not to use it) but this time I had no choice. Since I was last here, the place has got worse. Direction signage is poor, staff are, at best rude, generally unhelpful and pretty obnoxious, the shops are very expensive, and food shops are a rip off. I had a coffee, I asked for semi skimmed milk and was told "we only have full fat", if I hadn't already paid I would have walked away. Seating is uncomfortable, the toilet I visited had several taps not working, cold water only, and broken or empty soap dispensers, and the toilet area smelled really badly. Cleaner staff nearly knocked me over with their cart because 4 off them were walking along talking and not watching where they were pushing the cart. Bag security staff are rude and abrupt. Queues to get to bag security and long and disorganised (at 4.15 am) for no other reason than the Staff are not interested in moving the people through the checks. I will only use this airport again if there is really no other choice. One last comment, parking is twice as expensive as at Gatwick
Date VisitJuly 2021

"There is no enforcement of the mask rules"

Trip Verified | Further to my last review, I note the number of people not wearing Covid masks probably exceeds the number wearing them. Many of those not wearing them are staff or work contractors, over which the airport should have control. This, to me, shows management are inefficient and/or don't care. There is no enforcement of the mask rules, despite there being signs around, no security staff in general areas and nobody appears to care anyway. Management should lead by example. The place is a disgrace.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"it’s become a budget airport"

Trip Verified | What can I say, budget airlines make for a budget airport. I was very disappointed with my recent transit through STN. On my arrival I needed to get a taxi to a nearby hotel, so queue was my first problem, an abject lack of signage. Is there a taxi rank? Is there an airport shuttle that does the hotels? Who knows, because there are no signs and no information. I booked and paid for a transfer to the hotel and another back to the airport online, it’s only when I got to the hotel that I saw that there is a shuttle bus. The hotel advertised it, Stansted didn’t see the need. Also, a nitpick, outside the departures terminal was a really tatty looking Union flag. Come on, STN, flags don’t cost that much, how about you take some pride in your appearance? Another gripe was the food court. On my way out to Budapest my flight was in the morning, so I could avail of fairly decent food in ‘coast to coast’. On my way back to Belfast, however, things were different. Despite there being a queue of people outside the only eateries open, they inexplicably decided to close at 8pm. This despite a constant list of flights on the board. Which leads me to my last gripe, the lack of information boards in departures and the total absence of USB ports anywhere in the airport for passengers to charge their electronic devices. A quick look through one of the windows up and down the various gates showed this airport is mostly serviced by budget airlines, and as a result it’s become a budget airport.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"I deliberately and malignly expected some humanity here"

Trip Verified | Arriving at Stanstead, I was dreading the usual abuse re seating and use of toilets, followed by humiliation at "security", but nothing had prepared me for the closure of nearly all available entrances to the passenger terminal, followed by the banning of anyone being seated. The staff at Stansted had roped off all access to the heating pipes which are normally the only means of seating in the departures area. Even if you're disabled (I am), on previous occasions on asking for seating, I was refused, humiliated and abused. This time, the 'Information' desk were very sarcastic when I asked "where can I sit for 3 hours, please?" They demanded to know why I had arrived at such a time (01.15hrs), and when I explained that (because of lack of night buses) it was the only possible way for me to get there for an 04.10 check-in, the attitude was that I must be particularly stupid: it was obviously all my fault that there is no seating: I deliberately and malignly expected some humanity here: No chance. When I decide to move aside the ropes etc which prevented anyone sitting at the [closed] Burger King outlet, the staff threatened to call the police: I called their bluff and refused to move, despite their aggression, and received applause from others who had followed my example.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"is very difficult to use public transport"

Not Verified | Until the pandemic I travelled through Stansted every week. With an EasyJet Plus card you can skip the main security queue so that part of the experience is fine. Shopping is pretty good but their seating is always very crowded and it is generally impossible to sit anywhere that you can see the gate announcements. So a bit mixed. However, my biggest complaint about Stansted is transport to the airport and the car park charges. It is very difficult to use public transport as the trains to Cambridge stop at about 23:00. If you arrive any later than that then you are looking at a very expensive taxi ride after queuing up for 30 mins. The Car Parks are the most expensive around London and really badly managed. Also it is the only major London airport that charges for motor bikes. They claim a discount of 50% compared to cars but the reality is closer to 30%. Cycle storage is appalling - no way would I leave a bike their as it will be stolen/damaged in minutes. They could fix all this really easily but seem to have decided that their main business is expensive car parking. Wish I could avoid the airport.
Date VisitApril 2020

"So much for customer care"

Not Verified | Dropping off wife about to fly to Edinburgh, would have gone to front door but as approaching terminal spotted a roadside sign indicating 'free' 30 mins parking in short stay car park. Have the previously money grabbing management clicked the travel industry is in deep poo and customers need encouragement? Unbelievable, but that’s what it said so entered the orange short stay zone, took a ticket, dropped her off and drove to the exit. Here the machine wanted £8 for the 4 minutes before the barrier would go up. The voice on the telephone was very pleased to tell me that I was in the wrong short stay carpark and needed to pay the £8. And that was her position which she curtly repeated three times before she suddenly ended the call. So much for customer care but that is what we have become accustomed to when entering into Stansted airport. When will the management realise that passengers, particularly now in our Covid devastated world need a very different relationship with anyone supplying services. These car parking/drop off charges are vicious and reflect a greedy, cynical uncaring view of the customer. Many hate using Stansted, including myself and this visit the first in 18 months only reinforces that view. On my wife’s return I picked her up directly outside the terminal and the cost for that had gone from £4 to £5, a 25% rise. Well done Stansted - you don’t deserve to get the second runway.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"avoid Stansted at all costs"

Trip Verified | Usually fly from Stansted about once a year if our flight options are not available from other London airports. The short stay car parks are a considerable walk from the terminal, there's only 1 airport Hotel within walking distance of the terminal. Security is slowed down by the fact that everybody empties their tray on the conveyor once its been scanned. Unlike other airports, staff allow this and don't ask people to move to the repacking area. This causes a backlog of people waiting to get their trays. The departures lounge is like a food court from a 1990s shopping centre with low end food options and hardly any seating. Water fountains are hidden away to encourage you to buy bottled water. No free newspapers like other London airport. In the past 12 months I have flown from 2 Heathrow terminals, Luton and both Gatwick terminals. I try to avoid Stansted at all costs and recommend you do too.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"this airport is a disgrace"

Not Verified | Have been trying to book long stay or Jet parks, all sites keep redirecting to short stay parking at extortionate prices, in fact four times the cost of flight ticket. Customer service just hang up and if you do talk to a third party representative they blame bus transfers. All other buses in the country can go though. To all foreign travellers I would advise you to go elsewhere, this airport is a disgrace, and its security staff the rudest and laziest I have encountered anywhere.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"once more increased the cost to drop off/pickup"

Not Verified | Whilst taking a client to Stansted Airport this morning it came as no surprise discover that the Management of the site had once more increased the cost to drop off/pickup travellers at The Express Drop off/Pickup Zone to 5.00. This represents a 20% increase in costs. They are profiteering from travellers who are restricted to using this Airport. The Management here are nothing more than a bunch of crooks.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"Beware of overstay car park prices!"

Trip Verified | Beware of overstay car park prices! You can use convenient car parks near Stansted airport, but the prices are quite high in general. Normal car park tariffs are not available on the website www.stanstedairport.com/parking in a clear and transparent manner to customers. In case your flight back to Stansted is delayed more than 6 hours or cancelled, you have to pay exorbitant overstay prices for each additional day, no matter the reason for the flight disruption. A short stay park overstay costs some 57£ a day, which is more than twice the normal daily price. See www.stanstedairport.com/terms-and-conditions/car-parking-terms-and-conditions. On-line bookings for car park Stansted Airport are not amendable or extendable. Customer Care service for car parking issues is very poor and in case of flight cancellations they don’t take any responsibility for the extra costs due overstay parking. Please consider alternative ways of reaching and leaving the airport including train and bus services. For early or late flights it might be useful to use a taxi or a Uber. If you have someone to drop you off and pick you up, you can easily use the ‘Free Set Down’ area (free for 1 hour) available at the Mid Stay Car Park rather than paying for you car parking. See www.stanstedairport.com/parking/pick-up-and-drop-off.
Date VisitFebruary 2020