London Heathrow Airport

"Good riddance Heathrow"

Not Verified | Worst airport I ever went through. My family of 6 had a connection with British Airways with 90 minutes for us to get from one gate to another after we arrived here from Philadelphia. We missed our flight thank you, the lack of any interest in moving passengers through especially those of us with connections is evident. Nobody sees to care about the customers and travelers passing through here, they just don’t, it’s obvious. This is my last trip to the UK. Good riddance Heathrow.
Date VisitMay 2019

"This airport is a disgrace"

Not Verified | This airport is a disgrace. As a UK citizen entering from the US and transiting to Manchester, we arrived in T3 and had to wait about 10 minutes for an operator to attach the airbridge. Once attached, we had a lengthy walk (about 15 minutes) to get to the UK Border and immigration check. Signage was OK but limited. Having been scanned at the ePassport barrier, I thought I was through and into the terminal proper but I was immediately confronted with another bank of scanners and bar code readers - no explanation or instructions. There was an unhelpful and surly security guard who stopped me from walking around these scanners. He told me that I had to (again) remove my glasses and have my photo taken for "airport security" - why? I asked him when my data would be removed from Heathrow's system. He gave me the impression he had no idea why I was asking and then glibly agreed with me that it would be deleted when I left the airport. I dont believe it for a moment. Given the recent court case about facial recognition software, where is the policy statement from Heathrow about the usage of our data and how it is protected/deleted? Once through this barrier, another lengthy walk to a bus gate for a long transfer to T5. Why does Heathrow not have a skytrain connecting terminals? After our overnight flight, we were made to wait about 30 minutes until a bus arrived at which point, there was a massive queue of people. The driver of the bus was rude, just packing people into the bus and then driving at quite a speed around a maze of roads to get to T5. We were then confronted with another walk to security where we again went through the usual street theatre of security, overseen by an unsmiling security guard - welcome to the UK. Had I been a foreign visitor, I would not have had a good impression of the UK. Once through the chaos of security, the shopping mall which is T5 was crowded with very few seats available and throngs of confused looking people. Eventually, we got to our connecting gate where our pictures were taken again before we were allowed to board. This airport is horrendous. Having flown in from JFK, I suggest that LHR management take a look at how a proper airport should be run.
Date VisitMay 2019

"18 processing stations, only 8 were staffed"

Trip Verified | Arrived London Heathrow at 8:30 pm. I was in Row 75 on the plane so well back in the Border Force queue. I rarely ever complain, but after a 24 hour flight, I found it really unpleasant to stand for 2+ hours in the "Non EU" queue for Border Security Checks. Of about 18 processing stations, only 8 were staffed and sometimes as few as 6 whilst staff had breaks. There were 4 or more staff doing crowd control which seemed more than necessary. I have no problem with the processing staff who were diligently carrying out their work. There just wasn't enough of them rostered on and that's avery poor VERY POOR and needs addressing. This visitor will in future choose to spend my hard earned dollars holidaying somewhere else.
Date VisitMay 2019

"What a nightmare LHR has become"

Trip Verified | What a nightmare LHR has become. We landed in T5 domestic and had to transfer through to international, the line of site signage is almost non existant. There are E gates everywhere, we must have gone through 2 or 3 e gates before we were allowed on our plane. If you have a cap or glasses you can forget it. You just don't need this when you have many things already to carry. The number of the departure gate is not displayed until quite late. We found our plane by the registration and using an app. Seating at departure gate is limited and the boading of the flight was mixed up to say the least. Our return leg was even worse, Passport control was all but un manned there were a few advisors sending everyone to E passport gates and my 16 yo Autistic son was ushered off to another gate. I was allowed through but my son was rejected and told to go and stand in a queue in unaccompanied. I asked why and they said that he was under 18, my son should have been allowed to use E gates according to the heathrow website at the time. Again lots of e gates and photograph taking, no glasses allowed, no caps, etc. And gates not even in logical places. There are some very nice people in the shops but the passport control staff need to have their personalities re installed and learn their own rules regarding e passport gates.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"they do not have a clue"

Not Verified | We have traveled extensively and have never found such rude and inconsiderate workers at security. We were told two different things by two different agents. In general they do not have a clue.
Date VisitMay 2019

"good food and good seating"

Not Verified | Airport security were beyond awful for me - slow, careless, thoughtless, unapologetic, and incompetent. Signage isn't just confusing, I found it often incorrect. Best approach is to print out a map and find your own way versus. That said, the airport is modern and clean with relatively good food and good seating.
Date VisitJuly 2018

London Heathrow Airport customer review

Not Verified | Heathrow does the job. Even though Heathrow is further than Gatwick we still go to Heathrow to go to Vietnam Airlines. A lot of options to choose from (for breakfast) in terminal 3, the food was delicious and kept us going through the flight. The only thing that I’m a bit miffed about is the long queues! There were two opposite queues, and both were long, 1 longer than the other. But it didn’t matter as we planned ahead our time (5 hours ahead) so we were able to pass security on time. I recommend going to the airport way earlier than you expect, as there are many many queues which take a lot of time.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"sign posting was confusing"

Trip Verified | Departing and arriving at LHR T2, I found it a little bit frustrating to find my way from and to the Central Bus Station. The sign posting was confusing and the lifts were slow and temperamental. The escalotors are formidable even if you are carrying standard baggage. However, the staff, including Hotel Hoppa bus drivers, are very helpful.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Heathrow is a disgrace"

Trip Verified | 30th Anniversary Rhine River cruise trip, from Amsterdam to Basel. Heathrow was our connecting flight both coming in and returning home. By far the worst airport experience my wife or I have experienced on 'every' level. We are AA Frequent Flyers with Global Security status as well. LHR had the single most unnecessarily invasive, rude, redundant and down right nightmarish security checks & processing of any airport (International or domestic) we've ever encountered. And this was merely for a 'connecting' flight both times wherein we never left the secure area! In fact upon our initial arrival we were so delayed waiting to land then gate docking that we nearly missed connecting flight and were rushed with "expedited pass" by airport personnel with small group others yet we were 'still' run through the most rude, confusing and inhuman security checks ever experienced 'just' to get to our connecting flight gate! Really? Barely made our connecting flight and had no time to even use restroom in between all this rush and harassment. Our second Heathrow experience (returning home) was if you can believe it very much worse! Words are not enough to detail that experience and it still literally gives me nightmares and anxiety. The airport security is staffed almost exclusively by employees who almost all seemed to 'profile' travelers and "run them through the ringer" in the most rude, abrasive, disrespectful and insulting manner. I have no bias against any person as long they do their job properly and with respect for themselves, others and the institution they represent. The airport itself is horribly inefficient beginning with the bus transfers from arrival to departure gate areas, continuing with confusing signage or especially instructions, and finalized by some of the worst airport staff we've ever encountered in all our years flying. Again this was 'both' times we had to go through Heathrow and experienced by others around us as well, not an isolated incident. Heathrow is a disgrace to air travel & travelers and the fullest example of everything that is wrong today with airports in general. It is quite a shame that Heathrow is meant to be an International hub for so many travelers and thus such a gruelling experience for so many.
Date VisitApril 2019

"poor signage"

Trip Verified | Heathrow Terminal 5, massive Terminal, poor signage, information counters unmanned, slow and not very friendly security check. Worst were the toilets which were rather dirty. Overall an experience I want to forget.
Date VisitMarch 2019