London Heathrow Airport

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | 5 Check in machines I tried were out of service. Horrible customer service! Staff member at the check in desk was rude and ignorant. She asked me whether my final city destination was Turkey and then had a go at me for not knowing the airport code. Very very bad!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Very kind security control service"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Arrival to Terminal 2. Departure from Terminal 4. Both Terminals are very ok. No big queues to security control. All information presented loud and clear. Very kind security control service.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"airport is totally incompetent"

Trip Verified | This airport is totally incompetent. They took my jam off me but they left my razor in my carry on. Very poor, I don’t feel safe here and there is no security check that I can rely on.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Security staff hate their job"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Security staff hate their job. We're a family of 4 with 2 small kids and connecting to Miami at Heathrow terminal 3. First we have to go through the security check in Helsinki and get rid of all our drinks, buy water, drinks and even a bottle of liquor at Helsinki. Arriving after a 2.5hr flight at Heathrow, with 90 minutes to change flights. First you need to go through exact the same security check as in Helsinki. Security staff yelling and threatening people to listen to them or else they will be delayed. Here you are as a parent trying to get your family to another plane for a nice and stress free vacation. Unfortunately I forgot to take 2 iPads out of my bag. A simple mistake. The security staff took my bag (and several other bags of “criminals”, including an old English lady who clearly had difficulties understanding the instructions) to put it aside for at least 15 minutes before eving looking at it. The bag and iPads now needed some special investigation and it took another 15 minutes before I had my bag back. While I was waiting I could see several other people in the same situation, staff not trying at all to help the travelers, staff yelling and cursing at people for not putting the trays at the correct place. We had to run from the security check to the gate, me carrying a crying 3 year old, and a 7 year old trying to keep up. What a relief to make it to the gate and meet the incredible nice and friendly staff of British Airways. I feel bad for them, but I will never fly again via Heathrow. We had plenty of alternatives to fly to Miami, but thought Heathrow was a world class airport. Oh and the glass bottle of liquor I bought at Helsinki airport tax free and had with me in the flight to Miami. Not a single word to get that through security.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"terminal was clean and airy"

Not Verified | Departed from LHR T2 to Bangkok in October (evening). The check in for premium passengers was hassle free and security check was super efficient. In fact I've never encountered long security checks in any of the Heathrow terminals. It's one of the most efficient security I've been through. Once passed security there were plenty of shops or sitting areas with charging facilities. The terminal was clean and airy. On arrival we were connected to jet bridge in no time and was out of the plane very quick. Early evening on a Sunday with multiple wide bodied planes landing resulted in longer immigration queue. However the queue kept moving fast and most of the e gates were in operation. From landing to clearing immigration it took me less than 25 minutes despite the busy landing time. The only disadvantage or slightly negative experience on T2 is the long walk between the main building A and the satellite gates B (where most long haul flights depart/arrive). You have to go down and up on long escalators.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"rudeness of security staff"

Not Verified | The rudeness of security staff is unbelievable. One tells you to load your contents one way, others want them laid out differently. You can hear one of them complaining the passengers were not listening to his instructions. Do they realise we are their customers? Without us, they won't have a job.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security queues are quick and painless"

Trip Verified | Traveled in and out of Heathrow four times this year. Most recently on Terminal 5. It's a good airport. I don't understand the complaints about this. The security queues are quick and painless and the self service bio metric check on arrival with the machines work well and I'm out of the terminal into the underground within 10 minutes of landing. The toilets are well maintained and the prices of food and drinks with the variety means there is choice for all price points. The negative is lack of seating throughout the terminal as nearly all the space is taken up by retail shops.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"immigration queues extremely long"

Trip Verified | Worst airport for two reasons. Firstly, the security staff I encountered are very rude and unhelpful. When they try to check your bags, they do it at an incredibly slow pace that's literately maddening for anyone trying to catch a flight. Secondly the immigration queues are extremely long and counters are poorly staffed, normally people have to wait for an hour or so to go through immigration which is unbelievable. One time for a complete 15 minutes interval there was not a single staff member serving at the counters, not a single one!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"despise this airport"

Not Verified | I absolutely despise this airport, not because of their layout, though it's rather complicated and time-consuming to get around, but because of the staff running the security. For the second time now, the last time was about 5 years ago and I swore that would be the last time I went through Heathrow, but security seemed to find yet again a way to cause me to be within minutes of missing my next flight. Both times my items breezed through the scanner, but "I", who had no metal objects on or in me, had to be scanned twice, and held to a very aggressive body pat-down. They even used two hand held metal scanners to search me and couldn't find a thing. I'm wearing a cotton shit, jeans and socks, no shoes. It took them well over 15 minutes to perform this abuse of power, and for a reason, I have no idea of. These people are truly messed up, I despise them and hope never again to have to go to that horrible airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"have new found admiration for Heathrow"

Trip Verified | I have been on a series of wide ranging business trips and now have new found admiration for Heathrow having used it at least 20 times in the last 4 months. The main thing is it realises it is an airport with shopping not the other way round. Inbound the connections from Domestic to an International can be made in 20 minutes - I have to do it at least twice on Sunday evenings as my flight has been delayed. The signs are clear, the 5A to 5B or 5C shuttle is effcient and never seems crowded. I have access to BA First class or Concorde lounges but have tried other lounges and bars and they all seem good (one in T5 beside the domestic gate lounge is very good at serving rapidly). There are loads of snack type outlets but it doesn't stink of food everywhere. On arrival the e-passport gates and security works very efficiently and I am not sure fast track actually delivers very much. Shopping is very good and I can't fault the terminal cleanliness. Two issues stop it getting a 10/10 - firstly if you are on a remote stand it is a very long bus ride and the buses are not very good, and secondly the have too many slots so if you are on alate out say 21.00-13.00 then you are going to spend a lot of time at the gate or in a queue.
Date VisitSeptember 2019