London Heathrow Airport

"Terrible baggage service"

Trip Verified | Terrible baggage service. Waited over 30 minutes for my bag to arrive as well as half of other passengers. Automatic identity check doesn’t work. Would have travelled through Gatwick if it was closer. Don't understand how they can’t do such a simple job of transporting the bags to the belt on time!
Date VisitMay 2022

"main airport security pretty quick"

Trip Verified | Travel destination was Los Angeles from London Heathrow. I cleared the main airport security pretty quick and patiently waited at the gate for boarding. The boarding started and eventually my group was called towards the end and as I walked along the ramp a young lady checked my boarding pass and said I was randomly selected for additional security check. The security check was quite thorough and detailed including pat down and item by item inspection. I didn't know I had the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass and the Airline could have warned me. It would have made sense for the airline to have prioritized the passengers for the additional security check passengers so that the risk of missing the flight could be reduced. Also security staff who were from a contracting company should have been more communicative of what an additional/secondary security check entails, who or why it was ordered and what they were looking for.
Date VisitMay 2022

"place to be avoided if at all possible"

Trip Verified | When Virgin Atlantic switched from Gatwick to Heathrow for its flights to Orlando I was originally quite pleased. It is a much shorter journey to the terminal building. Well distance-wise anyway. Pick-up drop-off by car currently costs £5 per visit. The roads are jammed from the M4 right up to the terminal. I am sure it took longer to travel from the M25 / M4 junction to terminal 2 that it usually takes me from the M25 / M4 junction to the North terminal at Gatwick. The check-in side of the terminal is packed with people and the standard of cleanliness and upkeep is vaguely reminiscent of a grimy 1970's British railway station. Once checked in and past security there is a shopping mall with some boarding gates attached. The restaurants are packed with lines of people waiting to buy a vastly overpriced meal (Captive audience I guess). The seats in the waiting area are reasonably comfortable but you may have to clean them yourself if you want to sit down. The whole area is noisy, packed with people, and claustrophobic with some of the worst lighting. The gates are small and cramped and ours didn't have anywhere near enough room for all the passengers on the flight. The aircraft was less than half full. Safe to say I hate Heathrow terminal 2 and all the garbage it makes everybody put up with. An awful ghastly place to be avoided if at all possible and only endured if you cannot avoid it.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Avoid flying here at all costs"

Trip Verified | The most unfriendly, disorganized, and dishonest airport I've been to. Avoid flying here at all costs. Flying in, we were updated on "new delays" every 10 minutes, pushing us back 45 minutes, giving us only 30 minutes to catch our connecting flight. Then, when we did arrive, Terminal 5 happened. No posted boarding gates anywhere on the scrolling screens. We told the additional security screening personnel that our connecting flight was departing in 25 minutes and were told "Everyone has a connecting flight, stay in line." Only after security do they post the boarding gates, which unless you're lucky and get Gates A, you have to ride an elevator down 4 floors to catch a tram to Gates B and C. After which, you have to run up 2 sets of broken escalators. When we got to our gate, they had delayed the flight by over and hour and not posted it on the boards. When I asked why, having just run through the airport, was told that "If we put up all the delays, everyone would be angry." Spend whatever money is necessary to avoid this airport.
Date VisitMay 2022

"priority security was very quick"

Trip Verified | The airport was fairly empty and BA check in was quick. The priority security was very quick and efficient, annoyingly the gate was announced very late and was a remote stand.
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"journey in the terminal is endless"

Trip Verified | Nothing works and the design of the Terminal 5 is a joke. The terminal can't cope with the number of passenger of an A380. The escalators didn't work, the journey in the terminal is endless.

"A complete mess"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | A complete mess. On arrival we waited close to an hour in border control and another hour to collect our luggage. On our departure there was not enough charging stations and our flight was delayed by over 2 hours resulting in many missing their connecting flights. While I understand Covid has caused a lot of issues, I do expect better of an airport such as this.

"Dreadful, horrible experience"

Not Verified | Terminal two is so badly disorganised. Dreadful, horrible experience. Plenty of staff at check-in standing around but doing very little. Slow inefficient beyond belief. My departure gate B42 was quite a way away for which I was prepared. What I was not prepared for was having to queue and wait as there was only one operating lift going to departure lounge. Horrid.

"ghastly experience"

Trip Verified | I am curious to know why, with all the available information world wide, Terminal 5 design is not fit for purpose. A truly ghastly experience on our return. Long walks, long queues, rude immigration staff, long waits for baggage.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"the machines were not working"

(Romania)

Not Verified | I went with my son for a trip to London, we were kept for hours, hundreds of people stuck because the machines were not working and there was just one customs officer who took ages asking people hundreds of questions while others were kept in line. The only answer to our complaints was: "we have very few customs officers".
Date VisitMarch 2022