London Heathrow Airport

"Airport staff was nice"

Trip Verified | I flew through LHR twice on this vacation. I had to connect from T2 to T5 from Air New Zealand to British Airways. Finding the connection was easy, but it was a bit unclear which bus I should take and it made random stops where people weren't told anything. Airport staff was nice, some were funny too. On my return flight I had the same connection issues. Signage in T2 could be more clear as I nearly exited the airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Queued for 45 minutes"

Trip Verified | Awful arrived at 04.45 to find 3 check in desks open for several flights. Queued for 45 minutes to do my bag drop. Asked the young assistant why it was taking so long and got told it was because a lot of passengers turned up at the same time. What a surprise when there are so many early flights. Also people who turn up with 4 times their baggage allowance and then start arguing over the cost of excess charge should be sent to a separate check in and wait.
Date VisitJune 2019

"worst security experience"

Trip Verified | The bag check in is now automated which means there is no one to help. Waiting in line to try to figure out the system by ourselves. Took a few tries. Stressful. Then the worst security experience of my life. I was pushed, hurried, shoved around, roughly searched. They took off my prescription glasses and I couldn’t see anything to find the buckets that held my phone, handbag etc. The search was brisk, invasive and there was no one polite enough to help me after they were finished with me. I have never felt shocked and distressed in a security check before and there was no one behind us, so there was absolutely no need to shove me through.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Good riddance Heathrow"

Not Verified | Worst airport I ever went through. My family of 6 had a connection with British Airways with 90 minutes for us to get from one gate to another after we arrived here from Philadelphia. We missed our flight thank you, the lack of any interest in moving passengers through especially those of us with connections is evident. Nobody sees to care about the customers and travelers passing through here, they just don’t, it’s obvious. This is my last trip to the UK. Good riddance Heathrow.
Date VisitMay 2019

"This airport is a disgrace"

Not Verified | This airport is a disgrace. As a UK citizen entering from the US and transiting to Manchester, we arrived in T3 and had to wait about 10 minutes for an operator to attach the airbridge. Once attached, we had a lengthy walk (about 15 minutes) to get to the UK Border and immigration check. Signage was OK but limited. Having been scanned at the ePassport barrier, I thought I was through and into the terminal proper but I was immediately confronted with another bank of scanners and bar code readers - no explanation or instructions. There was an unhelpful and surly security guard who stopped me from walking around these scanners. He told me that I had to (again) remove my glasses and have my photo taken for "airport security" - why? I asked him when my data would be removed from Heathrow's system. He gave me the impression he had no idea why I was asking and then glibly agreed with me that it would be deleted when I left the airport. I dont believe it for a moment. Given the recent court case about facial recognition software, where is the policy statement from Heathrow about the usage of our data and how it is protected/deleted? Once through this barrier, another lengthy walk to a bus gate for a long transfer to T5. Why does Heathrow not have a skytrain connecting terminals? After our overnight flight, we were made to wait about 30 minutes until a bus arrived at which point, there was a massive queue of people. The driver of the bus was rude, just packing people into the bus and then driving at quite a speed around a maze of roads to get to T5. We were then confronted with another walk to security where we again went through the usual street theatre of security, overseen by an unsmiling security guard - welcome to the UK. Had I been a foreign visitor, I would not have had a good impression of the UK. Once through the chaos of security, the shopping mall which is T5 was crowded with very few seats available and throngs of confused looking people. Eventually, we got to our connecting gate where our pictures were taken again before we were allowed to board. This airport is horrendous. Having flown in from JFK, I suggest that LHR management take a look at how a proper airport should be run.
Date VisitMay 2019

"18 processing stations, only 8 were staffed"

Trip Verified | Arrived London Heathrow at 8:30 pm. I was in Row 75 on the plane so well back in the Border Force queue. I rarely ever complain, but after a 24 hour flight, I found it really unpleasant to stand for 2+ hours in the "Non EU" queue for Border Security Checks. Of about 18 processing stations, only 8 were staffed and sometimes as few as 6 whilst staff had breaks. There were 4 or more staff doing crowd control which seemed more than necessary. I have no problem with the processing staff who were diligently carrying out their work. There just wasn't enough of them rostered on and that's avery poor VERY POOR and needs addressing. This visitor will in future choose to spend my hard earned dollars holidaying somewhere else.
Date VisitMay 2019

"What a nightmare LHR has become"

Trip Verified | What a nightmare LHR has become. We landed in T5 domestic and had to transfer through to international, the line of site signage is almost non existant. There are E gates everywhere, we must have gone through 2 or 3 e gates before we were allowed on our plane. If you have a cap or glasses you can forget it. You just don't need this when you have many things already to carry. The number of the departure gate is not displayed until quite late. We found our plane by the registration and using an app. Seating at departure gate is limited and the boading of the flight was mixed up to say the least. Our return leg was even worse, Passport control was all but un manned there were a few advisors sending everyone to E passport gates and my 16 yo Autistic son was ushered off to another gate. I was allowed through but my son was rejected and told to go and stand in a queue in unaccompanied. I asked why and they said that he was under 18, my son should have been allowed to use E gates according to the heathrow website at the time. Again lots of e gates and photograph taking, no glasses allowed, no caps, etc. And gates not even in logical places. There are some very nice people in the shops but the passport control staff need to have their personalities re installed and learn their own rules regarding e passport gates.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"they do not have a clue"

Not Verified | We have traveled extensively and have never found such rude and inconsiderate workers at security. We were told two different things by two different agents. In general they do not have a clue.
Date VisitMay 2019

"good food and good seating"

Not Verified | Airport security were beyond awful for me - slow, careless, thoughtless, unapologetic, and incompetent. Signage isn't just confusing, I found it often incorrect. Best approach is to print out a map and find your own way versus. That said, the airport is modern and clean with relatively good food and good seating.
Date VisitJuly 2018

London Heathrow Airport customer review

Not Verified | Heathrow does the job. Even though Heathrow is further than Gatwick we still go to Heathrow to go to Vietnam Airlines. A lot of options to choose from (for breakfast) in terminal 3, the food was delicious and kept us going through the flight. The only thing that I’m a bit miffed about is the long queues! There were two opposite queues, and both were long, 1 longer than the other. But it didn’t matter as we planned ahead our time (5 hours ahead) so we were able to pass security on time. I recommend going to the airport way earlier than you expect, as there are many many queues which take a lot of time.
Date VisitAugust 2018