London Heathrow Airport

"go out of their way to make life difficult"

Not Verified | The south security gate was closed and all passengers were directed to the north portion and the queues were simply horrendous. Heathrow security thrives on beings rude and unpleasant and go out of their way to make life difficult. The amenities in the airport are geared up for millionaires and full of designers outlets unfortunately not much fun for the normal people. Flights are never on time so don’t expect a happy visit. I avoid this airport whenever possible.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"experience absolutely awful"

Not Verified | Had just come off a 12-hour flight from Hong Kong and had to connect to get a domestic flight. We arrived at Terminal 5 but we were at the C Gates, so we were required to travel to the main terminal by train. It was around 5 in the morning and at least 2 flights had landed with a large number of passengers. There was only one train available that needed to take people back to the main terminals before returning to the C Gates and back and forth, so this took longer than expected. We were then required to go through security again however there were no signs or guides advising that we needed to do this. In some other international airports that we have connected, there is no need to go through security checks again. Because we only had 2 hours to connect, we decided we would try and head straight over to our gate before going to the toilets etc., but we encountered security instead. The queues were all over the place and you could see everyone was a bit fed up at this point. I had just come off the plane with at least 500ml of water left as well and instead of being helpful, I was shouted at for having a large bottle of water and was told to empty it on the spot by drinking it all (seriously?) or the security guard would bin my water bottle (was desperate for the toilet as well at this point). When we told her that nobody informed us that there would be security checks again, she shrugged and told us we should've emptied it in the toilets - obviously, I would've done that if I knew we had to go through this again! Overall she was incredibly rude, treated us as if we were stupid, put the blame on us and made our experience absolutely awful. If I had gotten her name I would've made a formal complaint. Honestly the worst airport I have ever experienced and would avoid in the future if possible.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"should do smoking areas"

Not Verified | It is ridiculous, I understand that is the law not to smoke inside the airport but they should do smoking areas for the people who are travelling more them 12h in the row (I just arrived from a connection flight).

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | 5 Check in machines I tried were out of service. Horrible customer service! Staff member at the check in desk was rude and ignorant. She asked me whether my final city destination was Turkey and then had a go at me for not knowing the airport code. Very very bad!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Very kind security control service"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Arrival to Terminal 2. Departure from Terminal 4. Both Terminals are very ok. No big queues to security control. All information presented loud and clear. Very kind security control service.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"airport is totally incompetent"

Trip Verified | This airport is totally incompetent. They took my jam off me but they left my razor in my carry on. Very poor, I don’t feel safe here and there is no security check that I can rely on.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Security staff hate their job"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Security staff hate their job. We're a family of 4 with 2 small kids and connecting to Miami at Heathrow terminal 3. First we have to go through the security check in Helsinki and get rid of all our drinks, buy water, drinks and even a bottle of liquor at Helsinki. Arriving after a 2.5hr flight at Heathrow, with 90 minutes to change flights. First you need to go through exact the same security check as in Helsinki. Security staff yelling and threatening people to listen to them or else they will be delayed. Here you are as a parent trying to get your family to another plane for a nice and stress free vacation. Unfortunately I forgot to take 2 iPads out of my bag. A simple mistake. The security staff took my bag (and several other bags of “criminals”, including an old English lady who clearly had difficulties understanding the instructions) to put it aside for at least 15 minutes before eving looking at it. The bag and iPads now needed some special investigation and it took another 15 minutes before I had my bag back. While I was waiting I could see several other people in the same situation, staff not trying at all to help the travelers, staff yelling and cursing at people for not putting the trays at the correct place. We had to run from the security check to the gate, me carrying a crying 3 year old, and a 7 year old trying to keep up. What a relief to make it to the gate and meet the incredible nice and friendly staff of British Airways. I feel bad for them, but I will never fly again via Heathrow. We had plenty of alternatives to fly to Miami, but thought Heathrow was a world class airport. Oh and the glass bottle of liquor I bought at Helsinki airport tax free and had with me in the flight to Miami. Not a single word to get that through security.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"terminal was clean and airy"

Not Verified | Departed from LHR T2 to Bangkok in October (evening). The check in for premium passengers was hassle free and security check was super efficient. In fact I've never encountered long security checks in any of the Heathrow terminals. It's one of the most efficient security I've been through. Once passed security there were plenty of shops or sitting areas with charging facilities. The terminal was clean and airy. On arrival we were connected to jet bridge in no time and was out of the plane very quick. Early evening on a Sunday with multiple wide bodied planes landing resulted in longer immigration queue. However the queue kept moving fast and most of the e gates were in operation. From landing to clearing immigration it took me less than 25 minutes despite the busy landing time. The only disadvantage or slightly negative experience on T2 is the long walk between the main building A and the satellite gates B (where most long haul flights depart/arrive). You have to go down and up on long escalators.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"rudeness of security staff"

Not Verified | The rudeness of security staff is unbelievable. One tells you to load your contents one way, others want them laid out differently. You can hear one of them complaining the passengers were not listening to his instructions. Do they realise we are their customers? Without us, they won't have a job.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security queues are quick and painless"

Trip Verified | Traveled in and out of Heathrow four times this year. Most recently on Terminal 5. It's a good airport. I don't understand the complaints about this. The security queues are quick and painless and the self service bio metric check on arrival with the machines work well and I'm out of the terminal into the underground within 10 minutes of landing. The toilets are well maintained and the prices of food and drinks with the variety means there is choice for all price points. The negative is lack of seating throughout the terminal as nearly all the space is taken up by retail shops.