London Heathrow Airport

"45 minutes through security"

(Azerbaijan)

Trip Verified | The security screening in departures Terminal 4 must be the worst organised I have experienced in any airport. First of all the so called “Fast track” was basically on stop and staff sitting around talking and laughing with each other while passengers were standing waiting. Staff were asked why there was no movement but there was no answer given. After 10 minutes we turned back to go through general security, after putting bags on the scan machine belt and waiting at the other side the machine came to a standstill and the bags stopped coming. Security staff looked at the scan monitor and discussed something for a while then decided to take the bags off and put them on another scan belt. The staff on the scan belt that was not working then decided to sit around again laughing and joking - one big happy family but a lot of disgruntled passengers. 45 minutes trying to get through security at 19.00hrs whrn it’s not busy is a joke
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"security staff at Heathrow are the rudest"

Trip Verified | We only had one issue with the airport and that was a lady who worked on security. She clearly does not enjoy her job and should not be allowed near members of the public. She refused to allow me through as only 2/3 of my zip lock liquids bag would close. I asked if she could assist and she refused and told me to throw an item away. She was visibly irritated with myself and my partner thoughout the process. If I was not reliant on getting through and it was any other service related industry I would have complained immediately. This is an issue at Heathrow, in the last year I have flown from several airports, security staff at Heathrow are the rudest I have ever encountered, it makes the start of a holiday a stressful experience.

"Avoid Heathrow"

Not Verified | I had a very unpleasant experience with a security agent in Terminal 5. Our family was traveling home from holiday, our airline changed our flights home last minute putting us on a connecting flight through Heathrow. We were unaware of their ‘liquids in one bag’ security rule. My toiletries were in my carry one. The agent was visibly irritated with me. My liquids wouldn’t fit in the plastic bag she provided me. She rudely told me ‘I should have checked their rules before coming’. I explained our flights were changed and I had no previous problems with security in Italy airport where we just came from. A little empathy would have been nice but instead the agent was rude and unprofessional. Avoid Heathrow!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"This is clearly unacceptable"

Trip Verified | Arrived on the EVA Air flight from Bangkok on 5th September at 19.25pm at Terminal Two. Having passed through immigration quite quickly, I was shocked to wait over an hour and 40 minutes for our baggage to arrive. This is clearly unacceptable when following an eleven and a half hour flight one has to wait such an additional length of time before starting the journey home. The baggage belt was shared by a flight from Beijing, and when we arrived at the designated belt, the Bangkok flight belt was still awaiting baggage. Even when it arrived, it was in dribs and drabs, the premium economy of course coming out first. Then the belt stopped for ten minutes and when it restarted, there were never more than a dozen or so bags on it at any time. The inefficiency of the baggage service must really create a very bad impression for any foreign visitors. On this trip, we could compare the baggage service on arrival at Bangkok (twice), Chiang Mai and Hong Kong. Although of course Heathrow is far bigger, the staffing levels clearly are not sufficient to operate the required service to a competent level of efficiency.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"VAT counter not fully staffed"

Trip Verified | I was at Terminal 3 on August 24, 2018 and had to wait 1hr and 50 mins to get my VAT refund. It was at the height of the tourist season and yet the VAT counter was not fully staffed. Frustration ran high and several travelers almost missed catching their flights. Surely Heathrow can do better than this.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"security staff were rude"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Departing from Terminal 2, 23 Aug 2018. Passing the fast track security check at about 16:00. The staff were rude and unprofessional. For passengers, specially transit passengers, LHR appears to be an airport to avoid.

"a modern day dystopia"

Not Verified | After an efficient transition I entered the secure departure area of Terminal 3. This is as close to a modern day dystopia one might get to outside a Mad Max movie, noisy, overcrowded, hot and humid, forced to run the gauntlet of overpriced useless shops cashing in on holiday hysteria. Having slunk off the endlessly circulating stream of humanity to an over bright Italian resturant where they inject the waitresses with Botox leaving a rictus smile. Here the Bolognese was awful salvaged only by a decent coffee. I am a veteran of Gatwick so should not scare easy but was assailed at all levels. Still looking for a quiet place to call home. Will I come again, no, even if it means not flying with BA ever again.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"I wasted a lot of time"

(Italy)

Not Verified | I arrived at Heathrow airport from Milan Linate with an Alitalia flight so from an European country. When I arrived I had to go to the toilets and it wasn't close so I had to walk a lot. Then I had to go to the passports control and there was a long queue. Then I moved to the baggage reclaim and even though I waited a lot at the controls, my baggage hadn't arrived yet. I was angry because I waited for my baggage for 40 minutes. I took my baggage and I moved to take the underground to reach London. Of course Heathrow is a very good and modern airport, but I wasted a lot of time in the queue for the passport control even though I arrived from an EU country. I hope that the next time I go here, it will take less time.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"had already been misguided"

Trip Verified | Beware of the misguided flashing orange sign redirecting your driving lane so that all who are entering to Terminal 2 end up having to park and not simply drop off Passengers. I now recall this happened to me about a year ago. It should be clearer, it is obvious Heathrow is misguiding all Drop Off Passenger vehicle drivers, so that they take the wrong lane and so having to park in the Car Park which is the lane taking you into a 'one way' system so that - to scam revenue from you! Be careful and only follow the black and white printed signs when going into Terminal 2 Passenger Drop off. I was scammed out of £11.00 this morning - having to eventually park up and take my sister into the Terminal, being that I had already been misguided into the car park.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"generally spacious, and uncrowded"

Trip Verified | I can never understand the amount of negative press that Terminal 5 at LHR gets - it is generally spacious, and uncrowded. It isn't the over priced shopping mall that all the other Terminals seem to be. However, it was noticeable that checking into BA most of the check in desks have now gone, and been replaced by self service kiosks. We were travelling Club and the resulting queues at Club World Check In were consequently much larger than before as we are told at online check in that we must go to a check in desk to complete the formalities ! A backward (but no doubt cost saving) step. Still, by no means the worst airport.