London Gatwick Airport

"Very poor rating"

Not Verified | Had to arrive and depart from Gatwick airport. Been to many airports in the world and never have I experienced such unfriendly staff especially at customs. I made the trip from Canada last minute for a funeral landing at Gatwick then connecting to Scotland. Didn’t have to go through customs in Gatwick upon arriving only in Scotland. On my return journey to Canada I did. Here this very unfriendly officer informed me I needed a card to show I had a pacemaker which I knew nothing about. I explained that I had been through Canadian and Scottish customs and was not asked for it. He replied, I don’t care what Canada or Scotland does this is our rules. His mannerism was terrible, never experienced this ever. Told me to sit while an officer came, took me to a room to search me. Felt like a criminal. He certainly didn’t win a certificate for politeness. Certainly not the way to treat people visiting the country. Will never fly into that airport again. Many issues there talking to other passengers reassured me, something has to be done there. Very poor rating.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"The whole building looks tired"

Not Verified | Is Gatwick the worst airport in the world? Silent airport with no seats with visibility of the departure board. Same old same old overpriced rubbish in all the shops. All the cafés and foodstops are upstairs with a horrible claustrophobic feel to them. Again with no view of the departure boards. Have they forgotten their purpose? It's an airport. It's a place to catch flights not a place to buy the latest fashion at vastly overinflated prices (even more so than the normal ridiculous fashionista prices). The whole building looks tired. Knock it down and distribute the flights between 'regional' airports I will go out of my way to not fly to or from Gatwick ever again.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"airport is so family unfriendly on arrival"

Trip Verified | This airport is so family unfriendly on arrival. The passport control queues for families is always massive. There were people with small babies in their arms having to wait more than 30 minutes to get through passport control. It would be so simple to do like other countries and put a cue for families with children under 2 years old, instead of putting them together with adults and older children that can wait for longer. The alternative would be to hire more staff, at 9 pm on a Monday there were 6 out of the 28 passport control booths working. This is a service we pay for when we fly via gatwick, its not done for free, so I would expect much better service.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"an hour in the passport control"

Not Verified | Awful! We landed and had to wait 15 mins for someone to give the light signal so we could park the plane. We had to then wait for about half an hour for staircase to be brought to us. And then about an hour in the passport control. Awful!

"lack of communication2

(Spain)

Not Verified | We had booked assisted travel on our flight and the girl that came to help us was brilliant, having cleared security we entered the area for us to be picked up from and were given our tag to tell us when we be called, great I thought, when our tag went off everything was going well until the guy in the buggy told me he could not transport me as the buggy was full. I asked him which gate gate we were going from which was gate right over the the other the end and would take me 10 mins to walk to and it was a good 10 mins. Duly arrived at the gate expecting my wife to turn up in the buggy - passengers were starting to turn up for the the flight no sign of my wife. She had the bag with our boarding passes in passports. Was getting concerned where she was there were only handful of passengers left. Luckily there was a supervisor there and explained what was going on, he checked and said they had gone straight to the plane and took my name and came back with my boarding pass and passport. I was the last one to get on, not good enough, she did laugh, but it’s hard enough making sure she is ok without having to worry about getting on the flight. She said 2 lifts were out of order and they had obviously taken the scenic route. I realise it is a busy airport, but think you need to address the situation when partner can’t travel with them especially when they don’t turn up at the gate. Talk to each other just to tell people what is going on, lack of communication, it’s hard enough, please get it sorted

"lovely efficient airport"

Trip Verified | A lovely efficient airport. Great signage, super shuttle between terminals, easy electronic passport control, efficient security clearance, free newspapers/magazines in hallways leading to gates, fantastic rail connections and a good Wetherspoons in Terminal 1. My only complaint is the duty free perfume gauntlet passengers must endure between security and the waiting area.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"lack of well-known British politeness"

Not Verified | Did I really arrive in England? Passport Control very full. Young female employee shouting at passengers in a heavily accented voice "Keep moofing. Do not stop in the queue." It felt like I was in an Eastern European police state. A "please" or thank you" would have made all the difference. Goodness knows what visitors from overseas would have made of the lack of well-known British politeness.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"feels as if you are being punished for being here"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever been to! Lack of seating before check in and tons of people sleeping on the floor due to this (this is at a time when the airport was not even busy). Lack of hotels as well. It is also freezing in October! No heating in the airport, just cold air. It basically feels as if you are being punished for being here. I thought for a moment I was on a hidden camera prank show, how could a place like this exist. Staff are incredibly rude and deceptive. There's a reason it's rated the second worst airport in the world! Filthy and disgusting. I do not recommended especially if you have a lay over, pay the extra and have your lay over somewhere else if you have to, otherwise it will be one of the biggest regrets of your life as it was mine.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Filth and dirt everywhere"

Trip Verified | In my opinion the worst airport terminal in the UK. Everything designed to make travel through it as unpleasant as possible for passengers: Outbound - Enforced twisting and turning and elongated Ikea style path through fragrances and drinks retail - the only way through to departures. No free drinking water - or if it's there I couldn't find it. Not a single working usb charging socket in departure lounge, and only 1 working out of 6 at the final gate. Dirt and filth everywhere. WHSmith up to their old tricks of demanding UK boarding cards from unknowing shoppers. Hugely overpriced food (Jamie's Lasagne: £13.99!) Inbound: Far too long waiting for luggage - flight arrived 4.15am, first bags arrived 40 mins later, and this was the only flight to be handled. Filth and dirt everywhere, dust oozing from metal wall panels, filthy ceilings. Baggage reclaim toilets stank of stale urine. Welcome to Britain - The whole place needs a damn good clean.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"being pleasant doesn’t cost anything"

Not Verified | I don’t fly very often so I find it very stressful when I do, I found the security staff very rude and condescending which made my stress levels even higher, being pleasant doesn’t cost anything. I didn’t like the way passengers have to walk through the duty free shops to the seating area. It has been 3 years since I last was in this airport and it could be at least the same length of time before I’m back through it again!
Date VisitSeptember 2019