London Gatwick Airport

"airport is dreary"

Not Verified | After using Virgin Atlantic departing from Gatwick South for years now, having to use their new site of Gatwick North was disappointing and I wondered why VA relocated to the North. The airport is dreary, dull, boring and does not have the best shopping experience you have using the South terminal. No wonder I was given vouchers to use the V Lounge as there was really nothing else to do here. For an international departures airport, and I don't include flights to Belfast or Jersey with easyJet, it leaves a lot to be desired. Certainly not looking forward to visiting this airport again.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"none of the BAA staff cared"

Not Verified | Arrived with a newborn baby and lots of luggage. Was asked to join a massive queue (I am a British citizen) with no regard to lots of empty lines with passport control staff sitting. I asked 3 times for help to be seen sooner as my baby was heavy to carry, none of the BAA staff cared. Feels like we are in a third world country and that Gatwick customer service is even worse! Disgusting!

"inane setup"

Trip Verified | Why are the seating areas in south terminal unused while we all stand outside in a crammed walkway, inane setup. Can't you guys get your act together.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"customer service was awful"

Not Verified | The customer service was awful, when I asked a woman at the desk a question about my flight and how I didn’t know where it was she then told me “it was closed” and proceeded to give me filthy looks and very rudely tell me that the only thing she can do is tell me to get to the gate quickly. I then had to ask again where said gate was and she then told me that it’s my fault and I should have gone earlier. Great way to help someone. When I tried to talk to one of your staff members on my arrival back to England I was rudely ignored after calling twice to be heard.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"so impressed with the level of attention"

Not Verified | I was so impressed with the level of attention given when I was traveling with a young person who needed special assistance. I was traveling with a young lady who is blind and selective mute and her mother. The Assistance was so effective and seamless at each point of support given. It was the best special assistance service I have come across at any airport, I felt compelled to make a review. Well done to this amazing team.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"unhelpful and rude service"

Trip Verified | Incredibility unhelpful and rude service. The epassport control was unable to register the chip in my passport. When I asked the lady at the machines how come the machine could not read my passport which is only one week old I was told to move on and she did not have time for me. She then waved me away. When I asked her to provide the service she was there for and help me understand if anything was wrong with my one week old passport she said she wouldn’t talk to me because I was asking questions she didn’t know the answer to. I had a similar unhelpful experience with the guy at the counter that I later had to talk to. This is the same every time at Gatwick’s arrival gates and I never experience in any other airport. They urgently need training in how to provide customer service. They seem to have forgotten that they work in customer service
Date VisitOctober 2018

"disgusting and chaotic facilities"

Not Verified | Sadly, I have to use the disgusting and chaotic facilities in the South Terminal! It's filthy, and smelly. Not only that, when I have to check-in at one of the airlines I regularly use for this particular journey, (as they no longer use London Heathrow). I have to walk miles to get to the check-in desk, and then walk miles again, and go up an escalator, and another long walk to security. Once I've passed through security, there are another set of escalators to use to go downstairs again, to departures, then you have to walk, round and round the duty free shop. Then, if you want to grab a bite to eat, at one of their restaurants, you have to go up another set of escalators! During the hot summer, when waiting at the gates, it was sweltering, as their air-conditioning wasn't working!! When coming back from a UK domestic flight, and getting off at the front of the aircraft, you walk on a short gangway, and then you have to go down the dangerous stairs (which I nearly tripped up on), to get to the buses to take you to the terminal. On the back of the aircraft you can go down their normal steps! I don't understand the logic in that!. When the bus takes you to the arrivals terminal, you can either climb up loads of stairs or take a lift. Once, the doors were locked too soon,and we couldn't get into arrivals; and the contract workers had to get permission from the permanent staff, to open the doors agaiN. When arriving back into the South terminal, from Europe, you have to walk miles to get to passport control, and once you have finally arrived at passport control, there are long queues!! A lot of the automatic machines are closed! It's a hotch-potch and chaotic airport. Unlike London Heathrow, when I recently flew out of Terminal 3, which is far larger than Gatwick, it was streamlined and well organised. From arriving at departures and going through security, it took me 20 minutes. Heathrow, is cleaner than Gatwick. In my honest opinion, they need to build another terminal there, and knock down the dated, South terminal which is totally chaotic. The airports authority, should go and see how London Heathrow, runs their terminals, and see their designs. The terminal signs and directions are a joke, and they are not very clear, when finding the check-in desks, for a particular airline you are flying with. When trying to find the gates, the signs are very unclear.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"same great service"

Trip Verified | Asked for assistance for my wife, provided with efficiency and kindness. On departure, collected from the BA Lounge in good time and ensured boarding was easy. On return, despite it being midnight, same great service.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Generally dirty and overcrowded"

Trip Verified | One of the worst airport experiences ever. Generally dirty and overcrowded. After security you're forced to walk down a long meandering "path" through the duty free shop which stinks of strong perfumes, is overcrowded and noisy. Felt like I was on the road to hell! Security staff were short, impatient and brusque. Made to take shoes off at security - that's ok - but not provided with any seats to sit on to put shoes on again. Paid to get access to an airport lounge (run by a 3rd party company) but this was filled with loud, rowdy parties of drinking lads, so the noisd was intolerable. A most unpleasant start to my journey.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"airport seems to be overcrowded"

Trip Verified | Although much smaller than London Heathrow, this airport seems to be overcrowded. Just moving from place is difficult and finding a seat in departures can be difficult. Also most restaurants and food outlets are crowded. As far as I am concerned this is not a very pleasant airport. There is of course plenty of Duty Free shops which can hamper your progress.
Date VisitSeptember 2018