London Gatwick Airport

"Generally dirty and overcrowded"

Trip Verified | One of the worst airport experiences ever. Generally dirty and overcrowded. After security you're forced to walk down a long meandering "path" through the duty free shop which stinks of strong perfumes, is overcrowded and noisy. Felt like I was on the road to hell! Security staff were short, impatient and brusque. Made to take shoes off at security - that's ok - but not provided with any seats to sit on to put shoes on again. Paid to get access to an airport lounge (run by a 3rd party company) but this was filled with loud, rowdy parties of drinking lads, so the noisd was intolerable. A most unpleasant start to my journey.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"airport seems to be overcrowded"

Trip Verified | Although much smaller than London Heathrow, this airport seems to be overcrowded. Just moving from place is difficult and finding a seat in departures can be difficult. Also most restaurants and food outlets are crowded. As far as I am concerned this is not a very pleasant airport. There is of course plenty of Duty Free shops which can hamper your progress.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"light, airy and spotlessly clean"

Not Verified | I travelled with my family in August. I had booked Special Assistance and want to say just how fantastic the whole service was, from beginning to end, both outward and return journeys. We travelled early in the morning, the airport was light, airy and spotlessly clean. We were helped to do 'bag check' then taken through security by a very helpful professional member of the special assistance team. We had booked the Aspire Lounge which was lovely and a great start to the journey. On our return, another friendly member of staff met me and took me through baggage reclaim and security. It made my whole flying experience easy, comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable. I had had my doubts about Gatwick Airport but they were thoroughly dispelled. A well run, efficient and welcoming way to fly. Well done to all the staff and management - this airport is certainly going places.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"terminal was dirty"

Not Verified | Horrible. The terminal was dirty. Security took ages. Staff were horrlble and all the windows in the bridge and departure lounge was covered or not tranparent! Never using Gatwick again. I'd rather spend more and use Heathrow.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Very decrepit and tatty"

Not Verified | Very decrepit and tatty. Service at the border was very slow and officious (the electronic border gates were not working again). I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the luggage trolleys required a £1 deposit. Unfortunately the single change machine was out of order. The WiFi didn't work. All in all, a very poor level of customer experience. Someone senior should grip this urgently or Gatwick will continue to be of secondary importance to Heathrow as well as a poor reflection on UK Plc.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Don't enjoy departing through Gatwick"

Not Verified | Found the staff at security rude. I waved my Pacemaker card at a staff member as I cannot go through the normal channels. She looked at me and said 'Yeah whats that'! Our gate was called. Gate 22. It was sweltering in the departure area and no air conditioning in the hottest summer since 1976! I thought I would pass out. Don't enjoy departing through Gatwick!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Gatwick is not family friendly"

Not Verified | Travelling with kids during start of summer holidays. Was directed to use family assisted check in. They only had 1 attendant. One Check point open considering most people were travelling were families. Family members travelling with me, who used normal check in, went through within 20 mins or so. They managed to get through, eat and rest while we were still in the queue with no movement. One person at the gate checking passport and boarding cards with no urgency. Taking his time casually whilst us pssengers were panicking whether we would make it to our gates on time. Almost every bag being scanned were searched by 3 attendees or so. Creams, food, milk being tested. Gatwick is not family friendly. I would rather pay extra and use Heathrow. Being July, busiest family holiday time, common sense to have more staff to assist the family and special need line. Travelling with kids is challenging enough. Though we arrived at airport way in advance of 3 hours we still had to run for the gates with kids pushchairs and bags at 6am in the morning. This should not be happening at a UK Airport. So disappointing.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"only use it because I have to"

Not Verified | The only good thing that I can say about this airport is the help and assistance from the staff who provide the service "special assistance" especially the lady who met us on our return and who had only been on buggy duty for 4 days. she could not have been more helpful and is a credit to the assistance team. As for the rest of the airport I only use it because I have to, if there was an alternative I would use it and avoid Gatwick at all costs.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"people bumping into each other"

Trip Verified | Overcrowded with people bumping into each other, feels like an American mall on a Saturday only with more shops. This was my first and will be last experience of the S terminal, in comparison with T5 at LHR, like comparing a Butlins holiday resort with an overwater villa in the Maldives. Security was efficient and friendly however gate staff did not have the tools to effect a good job. Long delay leading to cancellation with little to no communication given to customers. No pro active refreshments or information on EU rights was visible nor did staff have any clue as to what customers were entitled to.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"will avoid Gatwick at all costs"

Not Verified | While going through security our bags were pushed to the back and searched. The man at airport security was rude and screamed at my 12 year old. He took all our stuff out of our bags, threw it around then dumped it back in the tray all scattered in a mess and told us to leave. There was in fact no reason our bags did not pass security, but this often happens and was not the issue, the staff are rude and I will avoid Gatwick at all costs.