London City Airport

London City Airport customer review

I was lucky at this airport when I arrived for a flight to the Isle of Man. Lucky because I'd decided to turn up early (2 hours before departure) so that I'd have time to get a meal before departure. If I'd left it any later I'd have been queuing for Departures for more than the 55 minutes it took me and wouldn't even have had time for a quick snack. Clearly the airport is overwhelmed with the number of flights leaving on a Tuesday evening in January. Although staff were employed to help move the queue along and ensure that people who were on a final call were moved to the front the queue snaked up and down the upper floor then down the steps and into the check-in area (I couldn't see the end of the queue as it was growing all the time). Most people seemed to be flying to European destinations and were bemused by the chaos. Airport staff admitted that it was sheer number of passengers causing the problem which tells me that there is something basic wrong with this airport. It should be able to cope with all scheduled flights not just those at less busy times.

London City Airport customer review

A great airport with investment in making it work well all of the time. Almost every visit something has changed as they seek to use every square foot to it's best use. Best reached by public transport as car parking costs lots. Arrive early for morning departures and enjoy a great breakfast.

London City Airport customer review

LCY to Antwerp return. Very overrated experience. Long queues at security in a small claustrophobic area. Flight was called to gate 2B but staff had omitted to change the previous flight (Nantes) causing confusion. Passengers herded onto a bus in zero temperatures where we all stood for 10 mins waiting for the last stray passengers and the bus then took 15 mins to travel 100 meters due to stops and starts for aircraft movements. On return only one of 6 Border desks was manned. In fact very little positive to say.

London City Airport customer review

Having read previous reviews I would agree that coming in to London City was fine but the same can't be said for going out. Check in is OK but you could see confused people trying to work out what to do. We were waiting on a flight to Edinburgh which when we sat down in the lounge showed as "wait in lounge" on the arrival/departure board. It then announced a slight delay of around 15 mins but still advised to wait in the lounge. As the time due to depart approached the message remained the same. Suddenly out of the blue the message read "Boarding at gate 6". When you are travelling with young children you simply do not need this kind of thing. Harassed and upset we headed for the gate as quickly as possible to find that we were neither at gate 6 nor boarding. We were at gate 5 and the plane was nowhere near boarding. Another reason why I will be reluctant to use this airport in future is the DLR. When we arrived on a Saturday it wasn't working. A bus service replaces it but does not seem to go any further than Canary Wharf. We decided to take it to Canning Town then take the Jubilee line into town but again travelling with children this is not convenient. But be warned - a local chap told me that the DLR is never on at the weekend as they are lengthening stations and doing various jobs for the upcoming Olympic Games so be warned if you intend to come to this area.

(Denmark)

The present situation with check-in and security is very bad - long shuffling queues at peak times. The airport claim this is because more people are using online check in and more people are arriving by train. This sounds improbable. More likely is that they just did not plan for passenger flows at the time of their recent expansion. Going through security this morning made Heathrow look good.

London City Airport customer review

I use London City Airport due to the normal speed of travel through the airport. However recently there have been major queues to get through the security check. Last week it took me almost a hour at 07.45 and on my return (19.11.09) I landed at 18.00 and as was leaving the airport the queue for security extended out of the building!

London City Airport customer review

I think the praise for LCY proximity to London's city centre is overrated. It's still a long ride away on the DLR never mind the fact that only one out of every four trains goes to LCY. Apart from that LCY is an efficient airport and friendly staff also help.

London City Airport customer review

LCY to AMS and back. Perfect airport for short business trips to Europe and also for connecting on to an AF/KLM or LH flight at the usual hubs. The real benefit is being able to get from aircraft to taxi in 5 minutes on the return journey. I dont know anyone who enjoys spending an hour getting through LHR.

London City Airport customer review

The first time I have used London City for about 10 years. The airport is excellent as others have said small very fast processing both in and out. However the cost of the car park is truly breath-taking (£74 for 36 hours - over a weekend). OK if you live in central London or Docklands there is the cheap DLR alternative but I don't and there appears to be no 'park and ride' alternative. Nice airport but at a price which just made me feel ripped-off (we are not all merchant bankers).

London City Airport customer review

I have used LCY numerous times over the past six months on the LCY-ZRH route. It is a great airport built for quick check-in on the way out and quick pasport control on the way in. The staff seem to be well trained and understand that this is a businessman's airport. A pleasure to fly in and out of.