London City Airport

"security is a mess"

Trip Verified | Avoid at peak times, security is a mess. Gone are the days of the 15 minute check in and smooth easy journey. This used to be my go to airport due to the ease of transit. Such a shame they have added so much flight capacity and not matched it with security.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"third world experience"

Not Verified | Do not transit through this airport! No direct transfer path, have to pass through immigration, no airline lounges (even BA). A godforsaken 4 hour wait in a miserable little airport. Truly a third world experience in the heart of London.

"miserable experience"

Trip Verified | First and I hope to God last experience of London City airport. I have flown to airports all over the world and the London City immigration staff are the rudest I have ever experienced, including the so-called customer service who was staffing the e-passport gates. May I suggest a career change as clearly customer service is not your thing. This was then followed by a 40-minute wait for bags off a small Embraer flight, clearly racking up the flights coming in with minimal ground crew to support. All in all, miserable experience and I hope I don’t have to fly into or out of here again - a real change of management style needed!

"now in rapid decline"

Trip Verified | I'm afraid I have to agree with the previous reviews about this - used to be a great airport but now in rapid decline. 3 hours delay - mainly due to parking spaces issues again. This was for just a one hour flight. Also the information displayed just gave up after about two hours of delay - not just internally but to taxi at the other end trying to work out when I would arrive. The place seems to have expanded in terms of passengers but provided inadequate change in facilities - everywhere is packed. I agree with the earlier comments about mis-management at the senior level. I can't solve that problem, but I am beginning to re-evaluate alternatives such as Gatwick or Heathrow.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"used to be a great airport"

Not Verified | Pathetic - what a shambles, time for senior management to be fired for incompetence. This used to be a great airport. Its appeal was quick in and out for business travellers now they have created a shambles - clearly they have added too many flights given infrastructure, now Gatwick and Heathrow are looking like better options. Arrivals delayed by 1 hr on 1st flight on Monday morning because no parking stands available. Departures - flights leaving half empty as people stuck in a queue for 30/40 minutes to get to security gate, their sla of 20 minutes only starts ticking once you scan through security barrier so they hold people in a queue to prevent you scanning, scam. They would otherwise be liable for delay costs, sneaky. Might have to start checking a bag, that way you have proof you were there on time, only way to stuff them back and then hit them for delay departure costs. Seems you have to hit these people in pocket.

"an absolute misery"

Trip Verified | This used to be a great airport but those days are quickly fading away. Today security queues stretched all the way to the ground floor, with a clearing time of 30 to 40 minutes. Mind you, there's no fast track here because, apparently, "security is so efficient that there's no need for fast track". Shambles continued inside, with all departure boards frozen - so a lot of confused people and a continuous stream of announcements, making it impossible to relax or even take a phone call The place was more packed than a centipede's sock drawer with queues everywhere, including for what must be the most expensive pint in London. Finally, my plane was delayed 35 minutes. And why? Because the inbound aircraft, despite being on time, couldn't find a parking space, so the passengers on the inbound had to wait 30 minutes before alighting. What used to be a great airport is now an absolute misery, all in name of profits and greed at all costs.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"on convenience I recommend this airport"

Trip Verified | Flew out of London City to Geneva on an early morning flight. I like small airports like this where you can be in and out pretty quickly. It's manageable place but it gets very busy. The only downside is I found the security officers who tend to be female to be rude and curt. They need more training. Places to eat and shops are very limited to the constraints. That's fine with me as airport prices are too high and I always bring food from home. Boarding was done by row on BA and I found the on-boarding process more civilized. No long queues that stretch so long. Purely on convenience I recommend this airport.

"incompetent security officer"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | This is by far the worst experience that I ever had in a security check, I travel for a living and I always pack my hand luggage very lightly, and without liquids. Still this incompetent security officer dismantled my interior bag, and big surprise, finds nothing!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"no longer feels like an exclusive airport"

Trip Verified | This is an airport I have used frequently for both business and leisure travel over many years. It was always a convenient, clean and smooth journey. Not anymore, it’s mayhem. It no longer feels like an exclusive airport. The changes made to the airport make you walk in circles (literally), and I’m not sure for what use other than to annoy the customer. It’s very difficult to find your pre-booked taxi, they have changed the car parking for pick up location 3 times within the last 6 months alone, the changes being it is more difficult to access your taxi, I guess with the intention of forcing you to book a black cab. It actually made me swear today, I was so frustrated I nearly lost my taxi because of it, hence I’m making this genuine review of the poor state of this once upon a time first-class airport. All I’ve got to say is that if this is city airports way of increasing commercial flights and passengers, good luck to them. They will very soon lose all their business clients who were willing to pay extra for comfort and convenience. And they can stick with their Primark/cattle loading strategy. I’m looking for my alternative already, as I’m sure many others are too. I doubt commercial customers want to be treated so poorly either, but some idiot at city airport has made the decision to ruin this airport with all the unnecessary and unhelpful changes, which will no doubt spiral them into bankruptcy in time.. watch if I’m wrong. Give it ten years.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"quite an uncomfortable place"

Trip Verified | The sooner the works to improve this airport are done, the better. It can be quite an uncomfortable place to be at present. Victim of its own success I would say. food and drink overpriced!
Date VisitAugust 2019