London City Airport

"chronically overcrowded"

Trip Verified | London City Airport is very convenient for travellers from and to Canary Wharf and is quite accessible. This is where the advantages end. In my long time of extensive travels throughout this must be the worst airport I have ever experienced and each time I get confirmed in this conclusion. LCY operates far beyond its capacity and is chronically overcrowded ie. profit gets maximised at the expense of pretty much everything else. Luggage delivery times are far too long particularly given the size of the airport. Security control is appalling: staff extremely unfriendly and long queuing times. The terminal building has looked like a provisional arrangement for the entire duration of its existence. The retail and catering offering is very limited, of poor quality and totally overpriced. The sanitary installations are a disgrace give its poor condition, lack of hygiene and insufficient floor space - WIFI runs either very slowly or is non operational.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"London City isn't fast to travel to"

Trip Verified | I travel alot from here to Dublin for work. My observations vary. The airport is too small and the baggage inbound very wasteful on returning baggage. The benefits do vary on security sometimes, it's straight through and other times it backs up due to more baggage flowing into manual check than passing causing delays. Other aspects that could of been a benefit are the location, London City isn't fast to travel to and it would take me the same time to go to an airport outside London. A sandwich will cost about £7-8 with some other choices but not much once your past security. I like the speed of the bag drop but again it can't handle the traffic and gets back logged.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"access to security was a disaster"

Trip Verified | I had requested 'Level 1' assistance for my wife, without the help provided I doubt we would have made the departure - the queues were outside the door and access to security was a disaster. The only redeeming feature of traveling thru' LCY is the very helpful assistance staff - they were great, which is more than can be said for the jobs-worthy telling us we couldn't wait in the pick-up area and there was no seating available.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"one of the best anywhere"

Trip Verified | Going to Geneva at 17.45, I was through security in one minute where all staff were helpful and seemed happy. I then had to return back through security to customer services to see if a friends laptop that he had accidentally left the day before at security had been found. It had. They went through stringent checks including speaking to him and an email verification but within five minutes they handed it over, with smiles and utmost helpfulness. Then back through security (this time in four minutes). I know City is tight on space (I’ve flown out of it probably a dozen times over the years) but if they can keep that level of customer service up it ranks as one of the best anywhere.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"appalled at the security staff"

Trip Verified | I travelled through London City Airport on the 6th of June 2018, and was quite appalled at the behaviour of the security staff. Firstly, my bag was moved for special inspection: I was brusquely told that inhalers were considered liquids at LCY. I travel at least 10 times a month across the Asia-Pacific region, Europe, and North America and have never had my inhalers questioned. I pointed this out and immediately another security person came up to me and repeated that it was “this airport’s policy”. I felt quite harassed by this person. But if it is LCY policy, there is nothing to warn passengers to place inhalers separately. This would save a lot of trouble. Then the security woman searched my bag and brought out a container in which I had cheese. This was sent through the scanner again: it was quite unnecessary, as I could have just opened the container and sampled it myself. Then she found my sandwich and put that through the scanner as well. It was very chaotic, as each item was removed and rescanned separately. My belongings were strewn across 5 different trays. Once I had finally managed to retrieve my laptop, iPad, and cheese, I noticed that my sandwich was missing. I asked where that was and the staff became very abusive and shouted that I was accusing them of stealing my sandwich. The man also said “we’ll, we wouldn’t want you to go hungry, would we?” Which was highly sarcastic and done purposely to humiliate me in front of all the other passengers. This was all done in a very derogatory manner and was extremely unpleasant. I waited for at least 10 minutes but the sandwich did not reappear. Finally I had to leave as my flight was boarding. In all the hundreds of airports I have travelled through, I have never experienced such an appalling shambles at security, poor manners and disdainful behaviour from security staff.

"Very mixed experience"

Trip Verified | Very mixed experience at London City airport. Despite its location, it has little else going for it. Experience of checking in luggage fine, but found security very disorganised. When asked if I could take my passport through the scanners, security staff members were very rude and condescending. Departure lounge has reasonable amenities for its size, but it's very cramped and overcrowded. Toilets were not particularly clean.
Date VisitJune 2018

"like watching episodes of the chuckle brothers"

Not Verified | Going through security was like watching episodes of the chuckle brothers. How to make a mess out of getting 20 passengers through at a time. The bigger airports have their faults but god help us if the management or employees from London City went on to work at them.
Date VisitJune 2018

"putting themselves before passengers"

Trip Verified | Typically they start boarding before the engineers have given the green light so over and over again we are left standing in the stairway while the try and fix an issue. Really annoying to get out of a seat by the gate to wait 20 mins in the stairs. The airport is putting themselves before passengers.
Date VisitApril 2018

"check-in process so unorganised"

Not Verified | I find the check-in process so unorganised! I have been queuing for more than and 1 hour and the queue doesn't even move! Every time is the same story, I like the fact that airport is quite clean but the service is terrible. My back is terribly sore and I can't even immagine all the elderly people in the queue with me. This airport symbolises the word inefficency. I won't reccoment this airport to anyone, anymore.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Incredibly badly organized security control"

Trip Verified | Incredibly badly organized security control. Approx. 2/3 of the screened luggage has to undergo a manual control for which only 1 single person is assigned. Long queuing is the result. On top, the staff treats you as a half criminal just because you might have forgotten to take out your liquids from the luggage. Completely absurd situation. In cleverly organised airports, such as e.g. Zurich, the security staff (sufficient in number!) helps you to make the right arrangements before the luggage will be screened with the result that the process is quick and smooth.
Date VisitDecember 2017