London City Airport

"security is absolutely appalling"

Trip Verified | Sadly all of the other bad reviews on here are true! I used to enjoy travelling out of LCY, but not any longer. It is now over capacity and cannot cope, but worse than that the experience going through security is absolutely appalling. I made the mistake of booking a BA Economy outbound ticket, since LCY does not deign to provide a Business Lounge. Big mistake, I almost missed my flight! Despite being a frequent business traveller and knowing the ropes (and wearing a wireless bra specifically today in order to avoid any possible security checks!), staff pulled my bag for a detailed search, behind a very long line of other passengers’ bags. I had to wait over 10 minutes, and when they finally got to my bag, they were rude and wouldn’t let me speak. At the end of it all, it turned out that the reason for pulling my bag was a very small pot of loose face powder (with brush) - allowable and vastly under the new TSA 12 oz limit. What on earth is going on here? I certainly won’t risk repeating this experience and will revert to flying out of LHR from now on!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Never, ever again"

Not Verified | My 1st time flying into London City Airport. Ended up there for a connecting flight to save £100 compared to a direct flight. Never, ever again. Even if I have to pay more, I refuse to go back to this hellhole. It wasn’t so much that the facilities were outdated, the place was overcrowded everywhere (long queues at shops and toilets) or that it was not particularly clean and almost everything was overpriced. No, I can live with all that, what set this place apart as a negative experience was how vile their security people appeared to be. They were like petty little tyrants that should have never been given any form of authority, over no one. I felt threatened by them just for showing up, profiled as a criminal and treated as dirt. Also, I saw something strange: huddled behind a small panel next to one of the corridors where passengers were passing by, there was a group of, at least, 10 female security “guards”. Most of them were just standing there, while a couple of them were inconspicuously peeking from one side of the panel. As if they were getting ready to pounce on someone. Not that I travel a huge amount, but I have to admit I hadn’t seen that one before at an airport. Horrible, horrible place.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"would not listen to what we had to say"

Trip Verified | My 1st time flying into London City Airport. Never again. We were spending 2 days in London for my friends daughters birthday. Unaware we walked past baggage claim we then walked back to ask where we can pick up our luggage to be met met with the most rude obnoxious security staff (female) who was already hurling abuse at another customer (who also walked past baggage reclaim too). The female security refused to listen to any of us and kept raising her voice telling us to back off and do not re enter. Not one of us tried re entering the gate, all we wanted to know was where do we pick up our luggage. She threatened us by calling the police, treated us like criminals where in actual fact it could have been sorted very easily had she stopped shouting and listened to us. 3 men soon came along, not sure who they were, asked us what the issue was and took us to British Airways desk to help us get our luggage, which took less than 5 minutes. We asked for the Security manager to deal with the complaint but again was met with stand offish approach and would not listen to what we had to say. The security staff at London City Airport are the most rude, ignorant with the most disgusting attitude towards members of the public. If you can not be polite and civil to others then why be in that job?
Date VisitJune 2019

"needs a major revamp"

Trip Verified | This is a small airport catering predominantly for business travellers. It is invariably extremely busy at peak times and when I travelled it was struggling to cope. Long queues at eateries. Long queues at toilets which are inadequate in number for the numbers of travellers using the facilities. Food I would also consider as overpriced in some outlets £25 for a burger. Who are you kidding? Facilities poor if your flight is delayed, seating struggles to cope in the general area so have to find seating in the gates area. Security also slows when busy. If it wasn’t for the ease of getting into Central London I really wouldn’t use this airport again. It has never been a pleasant experience and I travel frequently by air and train. It really needs a major revamp.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Terrible experience at security"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience at security! They treat you like a criminal. Different procedures. If your bag can not be sealed you have to throw things away! Very, very impolite and rude. This is the worst experience I have ever had.
Date VisitMay 2019

"treated like scum"

Trip Verified | Going through security, treated like scum by some of the ‘guards’. Snapped at, no eye contact, brash remarks. Customer service is non-existent with some of these who seem to dislike their job and passengers more.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Nowhere to sit"

Not Verified | Nowhere to sit! If you are waiting to meet someone at this airport you have to sit outside with the smokers. There is limited seating for those who need special assistance. I checked with the Information desk and they confirmed this appalling state of affairs.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"how all airports should be"

Trip Verified | This is how all airports should be. It is dependable, things happen when they should and without fanfare. Staff are clear and quick to respond. The speed with which you can get through the airport is to its great advantage. I arrived on the DLR and could have been at the gate in 10 minutes or so. I hope the airport keeps things simple and doesn't extend itself. Its greatest asset is its ease of passage. The airport was busier than usual - I flew on a Sunday evening. But there was space to get a drink and work.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"how rude they are"

Trip Verified | Airport clean and tidy with plenty of seating. But completely shocked at how rude and incompetent the staff are going through security. Awful experience with every one complaining of how rude they are.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"chronically overcrowded"

Trip Verified | London City Airport is very convenient for travellers from and to Canary Wharf and is quite accessible. This is where the advantages end. In my long time of extensive travels throughout this must be the worst airport I have ever experienced and each time I get confirmed in this conclusion. LCY operates far beyond its capacity and is chronically overcrowded ie. profit gets maximised at the expense of pretty much everything else. Luggage delivery times are far too long particularly given the size of the airport. Security control is appalling: staff extremely unfriendly and long queuing times. The terminal building has looked like a provisional arrangement for the entire duration of its existence. The retail and catering offering is very limited, of poor quality and totally overpriced. The sanitary installations are a disgrace give its poor condition, lack of hygiene and insufficient floor space - WIFI runs either very slowly or is non operational.
Date VisitSeptember 2018