Lisbon Airport

"one of the worst airports in Europe"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | By far one of the worst airports in Europe which is run by very incompetent ANA airports, owned by Vinci group. Staff have been hired from the worst possible candidates or of individuals showing severe sociopathic or anti social traits, the atmosphere is that of shanty town in Brazilian favelas. Please, do not use it if you don't have to.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"incompetent and useless dealings with staff"

Not Verified | In all my years of travelling I have never had such incompetent and useless dealings with staff as I have from passing through this airport. I arrived from Recife and had a flight to eventually take me to Edinburgh. I had to claim my luggage and check in again in order to board the the connecting flight as is standard procedure and I was supposed to have 3 hours to carry out this process. However, when I arrive I am already stuck for time as the flight was late to land and slow to shuttle to the airport. I wait in the queue for passport checks which in itself was ridiculously unorganised, slow and an annoying process but okay, this happens. I eventually arrive to the front with barely enough time as is to carry out the process for my next flight and am met with the worst type of person you want to see in this situation. He arrogantly told me I had been stupidly waiting in line all this time to be in the wrong area whilst scoffing and chuckling to himself. He tells me no further information, only that I need to go there. So I proceed to go to this new area to find a group of people waiting and no staff. Eventually one guy shows up and seems to be actively trying to be as useless as he possibly can when I try to enquire about where I should be. He says he will get security to help him but just disappears. Then, another guy appears, I show him my ticket and he tells me I'm in the wrong place and need to go back where I came. At this point I just duck under the barrier to go through the priority line to be seen and not one staff was about to assist, anyone can just do this if they really want to get through faster as there seems to only be like 3 employees in this whole airport. Anyway, I explain this to the next border person I see and ask who I can speak to. He blankly ignores this and tells me to just go through. Now I begin to see a theme where it must be staff policy to try to be as unaccountable and unhelpful as possible all whilst carrying the most miserable expression you can have. After almost an hour of being told to go to all the wrong places I make it to baggage reclaim where I can't find my bag. At this point I have literal minutes to make it to the next flight so I go to the lost and found and get my little queue ticket and wait to be seen. The woman I saw seemed helpful at first, if not just a little unpleasant, but everyone has bad days. She gets me to my luggage and I apologise to her for using her time, then I ask her who I can speak to about this situation and how I will now just have to miss the flight and she denies any of this happened. I wasn't asking her to validate my experience, or to personally compensate me. I was simply asking for advice and any help. She literally told me that nobody will help me and turned into the most bitter, repulsive sack of bones and at this point I begin to believe everyone in this airport is insane. I contemplated finding someone myself to help or at least advise what I can do in this case or even what flight options are available but I felt the healthy option would be to save myself the stress of dealing with anymore hostile staff. From this I just sat on the floor and spent an extra £300 to book a flight for tomorrow and check in to the nearest hotel. I am currently dreading returning and excited to leave the airport as swiftly as possible. I love Portugal and Lisbon but the airport is the complete opposite experience from anywhere else in the country.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Worst airport I have ever used"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever used, never again. Sorry Lisbon, great city but your airport and staff are the worst I have ever had the misfortune to use and I'm a 4 holiday a year man. For the guy who checked my passport who would not be employed in a prison, aggressive rude and had a major chip on his shoulder, so sad to see. You'll never see me visit again, goodbye and hopefully karma will visit you soon.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Rude disinterested and unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Most unorganised airport I have ever travelled through. Rude disinterested and unhelpful staff. Dirty bathrooms and overall dirty airport. I have travelled through this airport at terminal 1 6 times in the last 8 years. Never again. Security was absolutely the most unorganised, chaotic experience with staff standing around and obviously very unhappy and disinterested in their jobs. No manners. As for Covid restrictions - bar wearing a mask - there was none I could see. Social distancing did not exist. The food court was filthy with staff wandering around with dirty looking cloths in their hands. Never again.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"An absolute national embarrassment of an airport"

Not Verified | This is literally the worst airport in Europe and I fail to understand why. The airport of the capital of Portugal. It could be some small island airport in Greece or the Balearics. Only theirs are better, much better. An absolute national embarrassment of an airport. Disorganised, lazy, cluttered, dirty, unsafe. It’s unsanitary, the opposite of anywhere you would ever wish to be in a COVID embarrassment.

"Terrible customs experience"

Not Verified | Terrible customs experience, over 2 hours wait on arrival in Lisbon from Ireland flight. I have never experienced such a long wait to pass custom experience. Hours wait, no-one seems to care. I'll fly from a different airport next time.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Fly anywhere else, please"

Trip Verified | Fly anywhere else, please. Absolutely awful airport. They somehow picked the rudest staff for every single position in the airport in a country that has normally very pleasant individuals. I’ve seen the staff verbally abuse lost travelers and they couldn’t care less if you miss your flight. You guys work here everyday and know your awful infrastructure inside and out. Most of the people at this airport have never been here before because it’s a popular layover destination. Have some emotional intelligence and understand that your frustration with the travelers has absolutely nothing on the stress that they are experiencing. I will go out of my way to never, ever come back to this airport again. This is the first and only time I’ve ever written a review for an airport. Even writing this review at the gate, I’m listening to a traveler cry because they were treated like an idiot by the staff.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Avoid transfers in Lisbon"

Not Verified | Once again, they had one customs official at the gate. In addition, if you have a VAT refund, you must search the maze and discover that the customs is closed. After waiting 15 minutes for someone to show up because people called, one person shows up to tell us all to wait longer while she fixes the machines. After I wait in line to use the machine, it says no purchases are associated with the passport. So I am told to wait again. 15 or so minutes later she decides to actually go into the office. If you depart the EU from Lisbon, add another hour or longer to get your vat forms stamped. Also, across the way is the vat area where you drop your forms- they are closed also despite having a lady behind the counter. When I asked for assistance she ignored me. After continuing to ask for assistance, she told me to fill out the information on the form and drop in the mailbox next to her. I asked her for a pen and she ignored me. I took a photo of the kiosk and she called the police on me. I have never seen anything like this before traveling overseas. Avoid transfers in Lisbon unless you love hassle and stress.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"The angry employee saw our frustration, but decided to ignore this"

Not Verified | We were angrily forced by an employee to use the self service check in, despite that that there were no lines at the desks. It took 6 attempts per passport before the scanner accepted them and delivered a baggage label and a boarding pass. The angry employee saw our frustration, but decided to ignore this. Then we had to hand in our haul luggage at the same check in desk with the angry employee, he yelled at me that my luggage was 1 kilo too heavy. He yelled at me that I had to pay. I pointed out I was travelling with two other passengers whose luggage were both 11 kilos and that this normally is not a problem (luggage limit per suitcase 23 kilos). He yelled that next time I had to pay. He was very irritated that my fellow passenger had not put the stickers correctly on the suitcase. He then aggressively rearranged them by smashing them on the suitcase. I asked for his identity and said that he was very rude and that he should try find another job. He yelled that I was very rude and pushed his ID card into my face yelling his name. A complete disgrace! Never experienced anything like this.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Horrendous experience in arrivals and departures"

Trip Verified | Horrendous experience in arrivals and departures. Queued for over an hour through passport control on arrival - most of the desks were not staffed. On departure, despite having speedy boarding, we queued for 50 minutes through passport control to access our gate. There were no staff available to advise customers about to miss their flight on what to do. There was no separation between flights through passport control and the E-passport counters were out of order. We ended up boarding the plane 5 minutes before it’s departure with many other passengers remaining behind us in the queue and not making it onto the plane. We had a wonderful few days in a beautiful city but the airport was the worst I’ve experienced.