Lisbon Airport

"I don't understand how you can keep yelling"

Trip Verified | Everything was fine. I've gone through this airport without a hitch. Everyone is usually pleasant and accommodating. Until today. I was departing with my mom, who needed wheelchair assistance. We were going through crew security. Since my mom cannot lift anything heavy, I was the one in charge of putting her bag onto the x-ray. Once I had placed everything, I proceeded to go through the sensor machine. I was then yelled at by this woman, I was alarmed because one she wasn't at her station and was somewhere else chitchatting away. I know it was partly my fault for going through not waiting for someone's signal. She then kept repeating something in Portuguese. I did not understand her. When I told her I didn't understand she them proceeded to yell at me more and then said sorry and shrugged her shoulders. When I was getting our items off the x-ray belt she them yelled at me again in Portuguese. I was like I dont understand what you're saying. She then started yelling again. I don't understand how you can keep yelling and asking me to do something, when I said I don't understand. Other than this experience I do like this airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2023

"Schengen zone is not big enough"

Not Verified | So arrived from Chicago to a bus gate. Not enough gates in Lisbon, no need to clear security. The Schengen zone in Lisbon is not big enough. Not a lot of shops not a lounge. A couple of cafes and duty free. OK if it is not a long layover. There is a lounge in the non Schengen zone, but required clearing immigration which I did not have enough time for. Departure to Israel required special screening which I went through. The airport needs some face lift. There are lines into the main hall corridor. Lots of light. Anyway at least there were no long walks. Staff courteous.

Lisbon Airport customer review

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Airport staff are actively provocative towards passengers. I just had the weirdest interaction with one of them: I was called outright rude for scanning my boarding pass on my own immediately which you usually do by yourself before security check and after entering the airport restricted area to passengers. There was a woman there taking and touching everyone's mobile phones to actually do the scanning. What is she doing exactly?
Date VisitDecember 2022

"lack of shops to purchase essential products"

Trip Verified | Lisbon Airport is below standard. I write in particular about the lack of shops to purchase essential products. You would think that an Airport that's catered for people would have a pharmacy. For example to pick up some paracetamol, immodium, hand sanitiser sanitary products etc. There is nothing in Terminal 2. My local newsagents caters more to the average person. Please think about the people that use your Airport as its currently not fit for purpose.
Date VisitDecember 2022

"makes them go to the back of the queue"

Trip Verified | We are in security and there are a few people running late for there plane. They ask passengers if they can go in front which they allow, but the lady that is pointing to the next both makes them go to the back of the queue, she was so rude.

"Endless security lines"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | The worst airport in the world for sure. No seating. No clear indications/signs. Everyone for themselves. No one helping. Endless security lines. Awful experience
Date VisitNovember 2022

"The worst signage of any airport"

Trip Verified | The worst signage of any airport in (at least) Europe! Good luck finding where you're supposed to go. Gates and terminals are largely unmarked and the few signs there are, are unreliable. To add to the distress, the electronic departures signboard are nearly impossible to read, and only show flights within the next 2 hours. You will also be involuntarily routed through a bunch of overpriced duty-free shops when you'd rather head straight to your gate. It's manipulative and unwelcome.
Date VisitNovember 2022

"Jaded and unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | By far the worst airport in Europe. Jaded and unhelpful staff, archaic checkin and documentation process, nightmarish immigration in and out queues, bad food options. The facilities are ok, but the people and processes in place are appallingly bad!

"a disgraceful experience"

Trip Verified | On Friday, 11 November 2022, I arrived at Terminal 1 at the Lisbon airport (7:30am) with my wife and two friends. We were preparing to board United UA65, Gate 41, for a 10:15am departure to Newark, NJ. Our passports and/or boarding passes were checked no less than four times at: a) United check in b) Passenger/carry on luggage screening c) Passport check in hall d) Gate 41 When we arrived at (c), the Passport control hall, we found we were among 600-800 people awaiting passport check by only two customs agents handling non-electronic passports! It took 35-40 minutes for us to get to the front of the line. The delays were so bad that a number of frantic passengers began to surge (cut through the line) claiming to others that they were going to miss their planes. This incited anger amongst the other passengers who waited in their place in line. Some like me, forced these line jumpers to stop. Some surged forward and did make it to the front of the line. Not one policeman or customs agent ever appeared to take control of these unruly people. Only after nearly 30 minutes did a third, then a fourth customs agent finally show up to help expedite the huge back log of passengers. Then, we arrived at our Gate 41 only to find that the seating area was roped off! The agent behind the rope told me that we had to wait for the "police" to show up so that passports could be checked yet again! Every United passenger had to stand in a single file line in a narrow hall way for at least another 30 minutes before the "police" (or customs agent?) showed up to again check the passports and allow passengers to then be seated. I never expected that I would experience this kind of 3rd world treatment in Portugal. There is no excuse for not having the customs processing station adequately manned (with a police presence) to expeditiously process passengers. Had fights broken out, there were no police in that huge hall to stop the perpetrators. There is no excuse to force passengers to stand outside of their gate and wait for customs or police officials to re-process passports after they have just been processed at the customs center! This was a disgraceful experience that has left me bitter about Portugal and its careless disregard for tourists.
Date VisitNovember 2022

"Overcrowded due to lack of space"

Not Verified | Lisbon Terminal 2 is little more than a prefab. Overcrowded due to lack of space. By far the worst airport departure experience I have had (I think I've been through at least 22 different airports). I will not be visiting Lisbon again due mainly to my experience. Awful.