Lima Airport

Lima Airport customer review

With 6 hours to change planes when travelling from Cuzco (TACA flight) to Geneva via Lima and Amsterdam I thought there would be plenty of time even though TACA would not book my hold luggage through. At first there were no personnel at check-in I looked for a KLM office to get some information but couldn't find one. My flight was at 21.30. I returned to the check-in desks at 16.15 only to find that there were queues filling the zig-zags and spreading out through the airport. My enquiry revealed that these people were waiting for a flight at 19.00 so I went off again. At 17.45 I returned to find that the queues had doubled. After a while an official came along to say that the queue I was in was for Air France (the desks were all marked with both companies). I finally got through to the gate at 20.50 but plenty of other people were still queuing. The plane finally took off an hour late giving the explanation that there was a lack of personnel at the check-in desks. Furthermore I had hoped to upgrade to business class on check-in. When I asked at the desk I was told there were no seats left. This was patently untrue as when I asked again on entering the plane I was given a choice of about 8 seats. The cost of the upgrade was about the same as I had paid for my whole return ticket but by this time I was so exhausted and dehydrated that I accepted it. All this hassle could have been significantly reduced if the airport had provided some written information about what time which desks opened for which flights.

Lima Airport customer review

Saturday morning leaving Lima to Buenos Aires we had to endure huge queues: 30 minutes for check-in at TACA counters (despite having already done the web check-in) 30 minutes for the security check 30 minutes for the immigration check. At least there is a decent queue control but several counters at all stages were unoccupied therefore it is simply a matter of having enough staff and officers. So having to wait for a total of 2 hours is absolutely shameful and the frustration is increased by looking at all those signs proclaiming that Lima has been awarded the title of best airport for LatAm for several consecutive years.

Lima Airport customer review

The terminal itself isn't overall the most modern that you would expect for a capital city however it has a charm of it's own that means that it is not an un-enjoyable experience. The check-in area is different than most I have ever seen with a lot of people standing around behind the check-in operative handling the baggage. Not sure if there is more manual work done here than in most airports or if it would just usually happen behind the scenes somewhere that said it wasn't slow by any means. The security staff as per the standard of so many airports could do with smiling a little more but are on the whole were friendly and not discourteous at all but could be faster. There is a good enough range of shops and eating places not perhaps as big a selection as you might think from the airport size but certainly they are of good quality throughout.

(Mexico)

A real nightmare if you are in international transit through Lima. You still have to go through a security check that can take one hour because of the long lines of people arriving from international flights and just changing planes in Lima. Why is that they have to add this security check if you are only changing planes in the international area? This is totally ridiculous and bothers passengers. There is no logic in adding a security check if you have not entered the country.

Lima Airport customer review

We flew through this airport twice on our way to/from Cusco. The airport was clean and pretty efficient. The signage was not the best but there were very helpful employees to guide us. We may have been there at off times (6 am Saturday 9 am Sunday) but lines moved very well. If anyone has a long layover consider the Airport Ramada. It is right across the street - you can walk. This puts many US airports to shame.

Lima Airport customer review

As part of a recent trip through South America I used Jorge Chavez airport a number of times both for arriving and leaving Lima and transiting through. Never having been to South America before I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Lima is a modern clean and well run airport. Arriving departing and connecting is a breeze and free wifi is certainly a bonus!

Lima Airport customer review

We landed after a long flight from Madrid in the evening. The airport changed a lot since my last visit modern clean well organized - good toilet facilities. We checked in for Arequipa then everything changed. Nine hours waiting but where? Too short time for a hotel no use of the waiting room at the gate (only the last two hours before the flight - then we could lay down on the chairs). Hanging in the hall on the floor walking a little shopping a little eating a bit - but everybody was friendly and helpful.

Lima Airport customer review

You no longer have to pay the departure tax when leaving Peru. Well at least you don't have to come up the money as you are trying to catch your flight like in the past. Just flew out of LIM a couple of days ago and as of Jan 2011 the tax is included in the ticket price. Cuts out the step of having to stop and pay the departure tax. This airport has improved tremendously over the last 10 years I've been flying into and out of Lima.

Lima Airport customer review

A rather pleasant airport except that after check-in and standing in line for 5 minutes without warning you get stung with a 31 USD airport tax payable in cash only in either dollars or sols. As I had neither (I had used my last sols to pay for the taxi) I presented them with euros or my credit card and ordered them to choose. Once the line of people behind me became too long they finally accepted the euros. For heaven's sake Peru isn't an American state and why won't they take credit cards when practically all restaurants in Lima take them? Shame really as the rest of the airport is quite pleasant. Immigration and security lines moved smoothly without delays.T

Lima Airport customer review

As someone who has flown in and out of Lima's Jorge Chavez International Airport every other year for the past nearly three decades I can say that JCIA has improved dramatically. Jetbridges have been installed food and shopping options have increased dramatically the first airport hotel in South America opened and cleanliness and visual aspects have increased. The customs have also gotten much better. Before it took about 1-hr to get through but the last time it took less than 20-minutes. Renting a car at JCIA has also improved dramatically as signage is better (not the best) and the location of the car rental park has moved into a more smarter location (away from the hotel and chaos of the major entrances/exits).