La Guardia Airport

"inconvenience and mismanagement"

Trip Verified | My experience at La Guardia was beyond the most horrific I have ever experienced in an impoverished third world country. I have been through airport construction projects in numerous airports and none remotely approached the inconvenience and mismanagement at La Guardia. None, nowhere. Communication was nonexistent or worse, incomprehensible. I will select a few examples from this nightmare just to illustrate. We landed hours late because of weather (to be fair, no fault of the airport). It was almost midnight. We followed the taxi signs, followed the taxi signs, followed the taxi signs until, finally, at the end of the terminal, far from the usual curbside, we at last found the taxi stand. Or so we thought. The long line waiting for taxi was actually not waiting for taxis at all, but for the bus, to take us to the taxis. Taxis were not allowed at the terminal. So we waited in torrential rain for the bus, which eventually took us to another place where we waited in the rain for a taxi. For our return, I had rented a car and had to drop it off. Unlike any other airport, there were no signs directing you to the rental car return. Fortunately or so I thought I knew my way around. I headed through a maze of construction to the place car dropoffs had been for decades . All but 2 had to move because of the construction. There were no signs or any communications informing you where to go. I asked a police officer, who kindly sent me in the wrong direction. GPS didn’t work. Finally, we found the virtually unmarked dropoff. I asked why there were no signs anywhere directing people to the new dropoffs. He responded, incredibly, that “we are not allowed to have signs off the airport”. We waited for the shuttle bus only to find out that the shuttle bus had to take us to another shuttle bus. During construction, car rental companies, who could not have signs off the airport, were not allowed to have shuttles on the airport. I know construction creates inconvenience, but the experience was a horrific nightmare not an inconvenience and I place full 100% blame on management, customer disregard, and complete incompetence in planning. As the saying goes, only in NY. “
Date VisitJune 2019

" a third world airport"

Trip Verified | You’ll spend 45mins to an hour trying to get to departures or arrivals or waiting for a pickup. They do not care at all that they have screwed the traffic situation beyond comprehension! Who plans an $8B renovation and doesn’t plan for traffic? I’m born and raised in NY and I’ve watched this airport go from horrible to absolutely insufferable! Do yourself a huge favor go to JFK and stay as far away from the hellhole that LGA has become. There’s no food or coffee or even clean bathrooms in the airport, And you’ll spend an hour from when you exit the expressway at the airport trying to go a half mile to the terminal or if arriving wait an hour for your ride to travel a half mile to get you. Avoid at all costs. Thanks LGA for reminding me why I never fly here. Its a third world airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"nowhere to purchase hot coffee"

Not Verified | I was picking up my daughter and there was nowhere to purchase hot coffee in the baggage claim or check in area. This is unacceptable in today’s world where there is a Dunkin Donuts every mile. They should add a coffee stand immediately.
Date VisitApril 2019

"a few kind New Yorkers"

Trip Verified | I’m a blur right now, exhausted, but happy as I sit at LGA waiting to fly home to Florida. It takes chaos to help us recognize peace. I lost my phone after I got to the airport this morning, in the security or it fell out of my coat. Rushing up to the security, a few kind New Yorkers working at security helped me ping my iPhone with my Apple Watch, called it, helped me look on the ‘find my phone’ app and even ran my bags through the closed line to see if they could see it on X-ray just to be sure. Just about then the tears starting coming, thinking I couldn’t board my plane and get home. Home sounded pretty darn good about now. All of a sudden the New York hero swoops in holding an I-phone, that suspiciously looks like mine, and proclaims “someone found an I-phone”. I took the phone, uttered a million thank yous. That didn’t seem quite enough and I hugged Mr Hero. Still overcome with gratitude, I threw my hands up in the air and shouted “ I love New Yorkers”. The security guard confirmed it “New Yorkers are really nice people”. With that, I walked away with my happy ending thanks to the heart of New York... it’s people.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"This place is a nightmare"

Not Verified | Please, please, please, when you upgrade this airport, be sure to eliminate all off the euro Cibo garbage and bring back normal restaurants and shops that everyone much prefers. Also, we all have smartphones in our hands so please also get rid of all the little used iPads cluttering up every single surface of the terminal. This place is a nightmare.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Do yourselves a favor and avoid"

Not Verified | Do yourselves a favor and avoid having to fly through LaGuardia at almost any cost. First off, I have been to much better run airport in most 3rd world countries. They have made somewhat of an attempt to "modernize" some terminals, but it still requires catching a shuttle from one terminal to the other, where the transfer station signage is almost as bad as the attitude and organization of the staff who are responsible for running and coordinating the shuttles. I literally missed a connection because of the inefficiency of having to go from one terminal, to the other, and I had 45min to do so. Also gates are often switched at the last minute due to staffing and scheduling issues which forces you onto the archaic shuttle system between terminals. Oh, and also while I was here, a water pipe burst at the entrance to one terminal, which facilitated the need to again bus everyone on said shuttle system to another terminal, just so they can exit the airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"incompetence and customer disregard"

Trip Verified | It took 45 min from the time I entered my uber ride in the designated passenger pickup area in the parking garage to the time the car left the garage on to the streets. Even with the effects of construction, this experience/agony (and it is not the first time) is a result of incompetence and customer disregard by whoever designed this traffic organization. The traffic wardens inside the garage appear lost, disoriented and overwhelmed. I can only wish NYC mayor and the CEO of Port Authority were with me in the car to see with their own eyes what mess their incompetent lazy underlings have created with the traffic situation at the terminal as well as with car pickup protocol.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"excruciatingly hot"

Trip Verified | I am sitting in Terminal B at Gate D6 as I write this review. It is excruciatingly hot. I mean everyone is complaining and the American Airline gate employee says nothing to be done just deal with it it the entire terminal. I love AA and write great reviews and letters about its staff all the time but this AA employee needs more training or termination. And if LaGuardia doesn’t realize that people are getting sick because of this heat then they need new facilities employees. I wish I could add a picture of the airline employees in tank tops. This is crazy. People are also sitting in the floor and standing also because of too few seats. LaGuardia please get it together.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Should be shut down"

Not Verified | Just a lost cause. Should be shut down. Can’t handle any part of travel experience. This is a place beyond redemption or repair. Can’t handle incoming flights never gates like they didnt know we where coming. Departures always delayed with no information. Place is filthy and other services are the worst. Time to make this a hotel or housing development or Parking lot. Wait it is a parking lot.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Whatever happened to communication"

Trip Verified | Whoever thought the iPads to order at the terminal was a good idea. For a start they were not charged. Had to wait to get served and the service was appalling. Whatever happened to communication “Have a nice day”, “can l help you sir”? It is so impersonal and takes longer to work out than it would to actually serve a person. If l ever see the iPads on a bench I will walk, no, run to where I can actually get served get a receipt and tip someone.
Date VisitNovember 2018