La Guardia Airport

"avoid LGA no matter"

Not Verified | We arrived 1.5 hours before our flight. We spent 30 minutes in line to check in with United and the next 40 minutes getting through TSA. It was 4:45am on a Sunday morning. We barely made the gate before they closed it. I am not sure how an airport can operate so inefficiently. Lesson learned. It is worth an extra amount of money to avoid United at all costs and to fly JFK and avoid LGA no matter how good a deal it may be.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"never go to this airport again"

Trip Verified | My 18 year old son and two 17 year old friends were at Lagardia this morning over three hours before flight. The security check-in line was very long. After over 1 hour they got to the metal detectors and were told the phone or phone scanners were down and told the boys they would need to go get a paper ticket printed. They did this and of course by then the flight had departed. The airline would not help our boys and they are right now stranded in New York. We have scrambled to get them a hotel. This is shameful, and would never go to this airport again.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"they were confrontational and hostile"

Trip Verified | First time travelling through La Guardia, my wife is 17 weeks pregnant and both of us are serving military. Only scanners were being used at security screening, my wife and I were concerned with harm to our baby, so she tried to opt-out of the scanner to do a pat-down instead. Security staff were immediately demeaning towards her, pushed her to the side of the scanner without offering direction. I had to stand on the other side of security watching helplessly while my pregnant wife was forced to stand in the open, without shoes, for almost 10 minutes until I questioned staff on my side. Employees never gave a clear explanation, and the employee she had initially spoken to just walked off without communicating the opt-out to her co-workers. Any time I questioned staff, they were confrontational and hostile towards me. When my wife finally got a pat down the employee verbally demeaned her, chastised her for not following directions, even though directions were not given. TSA guidelines clearly state that an opt-out of scanners is not meant to punish people, but my pregnant wife was embarrassed and felt like she was being punished. Shame on the security staff for being so ignorant and unprofessional. We will never ever visit this airport again if we can help it.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"still continues to be the worst airport"

Not Verified | La Guardia still can’t get one simple thing right. One has to wait 30mins to go from Term B to C or D. The most minimal amount of common sense would be to allow people to walk from C to B but instead you have to wait 30-40mins which means a missed flight for sure. Ridiculous and is why still continues to be the worst airport - 3rd world airport is an understatement.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"departure is a mess"

Not Verified | Arrival was uneventful, but departure is a mess. Going through security, the clear company was putting 10 and 12 people at a time at the front of the line, the TSA agent had to take his word for who was clear, they had two lines going to the same bin line instead of opening up another one. No one knew if they were supposed to go through metal detector for the scanner so they were getting mad at those in the wrong line, after getting through people were grabbing the wrong bins with the security guard standing there watching and not helping another passenger who had her laptop taken. Really miss managed. Then you pay $17 at bar brace for a sandwich that is the nastiest thing you ever will eat. I'll try Newark next time.
Date VisitJune 2019

"inconvenience and mismanagement"

Trip Verified | My experience at La Guardia was beyond the most horrific I have ever experienced in an impoverished third world country. I have been through airport construction projects in numerous airports and none remotely approached the inconvenience and mismanagement at La Guardia. None, nowhere. Communication was nonexistent or worse, incomprehensible. I will select a few examples from this nightmare just to illustrate. We landed hours late because of weather (to be fair, no fault of the airport). It was almost midnight. We followed the taxi signs, followed the taxi signs, followed the taxi signs until, finally, at the end of the terminal, far from the usual curbside, we at last found the taxi stand. Or so we thought. The long line waiting for taxi was actually not waiting for taxis at all, but for the bus, to take us to the taxis. Taxis were not allowed at the terminal. So we waited in torrential rain for the bus, which eventually took us to another place where we waited in the rain for a taxi. For our return, I had rented a car and had to drop it off. Unlike any other airport, there were no signs directing you to the rental car return. Fortunately or so I thought I knew my way around. I headed through a maze of construction to the place car dropoffs had been for decades . All but 2 had to move because of the construction. There were no signs or any communications informing you where to go. I asked a police officer, who kindly sent me in the wrong direction. GPS didn’t work. Finally, we found the virtually unmarked dropoff. I asked why there were no signs anywhere directing people to the new dropoffs. He responded, incredibly, that “we are not allowed to have signs off the airport”. We waited for the shuttle bus only to find out that the shuttle bus had to take us to another shuttle bus. During construction, car rental companies, who could not have signs off the airport, were not allowed to have shuttles on the airport. I know construction creates inconvenience, but the experience was a horrific nightmare not an inconvenience and I place full 100% blame on management, customer disregard, and complete incompetence in planning. As the saying goes, only in NY. “
Date VisitJune 2019

" a third world airport"

Trip Verified | You’ll spend 45mins to an hour trying to get to departures or arrivals or waiting for a pickup. They do not care at all that they have screwed the traffic situation beyond comprehension! Who plans an $8B renovation and doesn’t plan for traffic? I’m born and raised in NY and I’ve watched this airport go from horrible to absolutely insufferable! Do yourself a huge favor go to JFK and stay as far away from the hellhole that LGA has become. There’s no food or coffee or even clean bathrooms in the airport, And you’ll spend an hour from when you exit the expressway at the airport trying to go a half mile to the terminal or if arriving wait an hour for your ride to travel a half mile to get you. Avoid at all costs. Thanks LGA for reminding me why I never fly here. Its a third world airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"nowhere to purchase hot coffee"

Not Verified | I was picking up my daughter and there was nowhere to purchase hot coffee in the baggage claim or check in area. This is unacceptable in today’s world where there is a Dunkin Donuts every mile. They should add a coffee stand immediately.
Date VisitApril 2019

"a few kind New Yorkers"

Trip Verified | I’m a blur right now, exhausted, but happy as I sit at LGA waiting to fly home to Florida. It takes chaos to help us recognize peace. I lost my phone after I got to the airport this morning, in the security or it fell out of my coat. Rushing up to the security, a few kind New Yorkers working at security helped me ping my iPhone with my Apple Watch, called it, helped me look on the ‘find my phone’ app and even ran my bags through the closed line to see if they could see it on X-ray just to be sure. Just about then the tears starting coming, thinking I couldn’t board my plane and get home. Home sounded pretty darn good about now. All of a sudden the New York hero swoops in holding an I-phone, that suspiciously looks like mine, and proclaims “someone found an I-phone”. I took the phone, uttered a million thank yous. That didn’t seem quite enough and I hugged Mr Hero. Still overcome with gratitude, I threw my hands up in the air and shouted “ I love New Yorkers”. The security guard confirmed it “New Yorkers are really nice people”. With that, I walked away with my happy ending thanks to the heart of New York... it’s people.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"This place is a nightmare"

Not Verified | Please, please, please, when you upgrade this airport, be sure to eliminate all off the euro Cibo garbage and bring back normal restaurants and shops that everyone much prefers. Also, we all have smartphones in our hands so please also get rid of all the little used iPads cluttering up every single surface of the terminal. This place is a nightmare.
Date VisitFebruary 2019