Kunming Airport

"really a bit of a design failure"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This airport is quite the improvement from the previous one. The old airport reeked of different terrible odours, was terribly under capacity and badly designed. This new one has addressed some issues. Firstly, the terminal architecture is impressive, albeit I find it unnecessary. There are very few widebody departures yet the airport is extremely large. Unnecessarily large. I like airports in Europe because they tend to have shorter walking distances. The check in hall is very confusing. It lists the airlines, and on the Thai Airways website it literally just says "Row H/J/K" And my tour guide says that what that means is that some days it is row H, some days it is row J etc. This is really confusing, as I went to row K only to find Cathay Pacific. Security seems to take forever and is such a weird practice, the screening is done in small rooms. I don't like this at all as if you get separated from your companions you literally have to wait for them to emerge from one of the rooms. One thing that bothers me is the immigration. There were no automatic passport lanes for Chinese passports, which meant half the lanes for foreigners were taken up. It was a rather long wait at passport control. Staff can barely speak English. The only English proficient staff member I met was the Thai Airways station manager. For an airport which is served mostly by A320s and B737s I cannot fathom why in the world would they deem it necessary for such a large terminal. LAX has the gates close to each other which is very convenient for walking. My mum did not enjoy the long walks especially having to rush to the gate, as she has knee problems. All business class lounges are operated by the airport itself, none of which (at least in the international wing) have a window. They at least have some hot food and various snacks. Also, seats by the gates only come in the form of cheap massage chairs. To sum up this airport in a word, it's designed improper to its purpose. I think this airport is really a bit of a design failure, and without bringing too much ethics into discussion I believe it is designed to awe passengers than actually function as an airport. Unfortunately all the large airports in China have this problem. Luckily with my next destination, Guangzhou, I can use Hong Kong airport which is by far one of the best airports in Asia.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

(China)

Nice, modern, clean airport with plenty of check-in rows. Food options fine with a McD and noodle shops. WiFi not always present. The only nuissance in this airport on departure is the number of times you have to show your boarding pass and passport, 5 times, yes 5.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Kunming Airport customer review

A very modern building and a large terminal but very long walks to and from gates. Not very clean including the toilets. The persons cleaning the toilets would keep the toilet rooms locked and you would have to request him to open it up. The security and immigration staff are very rude and disorganised. I stood in a queue for immigration security staff were shouting and screaming at passengers. My hand bag had already been screened and cleared and just as I was about to go a lady started screaming at me 'Check Check" and wanted me to put the bag through again. Their systems were clearly not organised much like our Indian airports. The worst experience I had was when I had arrived the previous night from PVG at around 12.30 am. Not a single airline counter was open in the arrival or departure hall and there were touts openly moving around the arrival area soliciting people for hotel and taxi. I will avoid this airport in future.

(China)

A very long walk between gates and between terminals. Little in the way of eating we could only find one restaurant that was opened and this was 10 in the morning. A very disappointing place and I will try and give it a miss when flying out of Chengdu.

Kunming Airport customer review

Spectacular to look at and spotless but beware the walk to/from the gate. And at around $12US the most expensive coffee ever. There is supposed to be a metro to the city which did not appear to be operational. I used the airport bus 13 yuan single however this only operates between 0600 and 2100 and is not sign-posted I only found it by chance. After 2100 a taxi is your only option. General tip when using taxis in China: print off your destination in Chinese script. The driver will not speak or read English.

Kunming Airport customer review

On arrival a very large new complex. A long walk from arrival gate to baggage claim area. For a new complex it looks old. Dirty windows and patchy paint. I will have to wait and report on the departure process in 3 weeks time.
Airport Shopping N/A

(South Korea)

I think it's the most beautiful airport building that I've seen but the services and facilities unfortunately don't match. The transfer procedures between domestic and international flights are a bit confusing and the signage isn't adequate. Also there is a lack of nice places to buy food and drinks; and a lack of western style toilets.