Kona Airport

"we were met my incredibly rude and aggressive TSA staff"

Trip Verified | This is quite literally the worst airport I have ever been to. Our disappointment began the night before when we attempted to check into our flight and could not. We sat on the phone for 3+ hours with no help given or even answer to our calls. Upon arrival to the airport to attempt check-in we were demanded to weigh our carry on bags even though we did not ask to, then since they were 2lbs over, we were forced to open our luggage (my underwear exposed to the entire airport) and move some clothing from our carry on just to our personal items (our backpacks). After that fiasco, we were met my incredibly rude and aggressive TSA staff that split my husband and I up and threw my husband into a line with no bins to put his electronics in and then proceeded to yell at him for not moving fast enough, which he couldn’t due to not have any bins provided to him! This airport also made us get a covid test after landing which made no sense after we just paid $280 to get one in order to fly here so their decision making process is basically not there. Again, worst airport I have ever been too and will not be coming back and suggest to anyone to fly any where else!
Date VisitMay 2021

"Lots of room for improvement!"

Trip Verified | This airport, besides being completely dated, gives visitors a horrible impression. The 'restaurant' in Terminal 1 is a bad fast food facility. Why not provide healthy food instead? There are also insufficient seating areas in the pre USDA boarding area, and in those available there is no social distancing observed. There are also vacant buildings that instead could house a lounge, which this airport is also lacking. Lots of room for improvement!
Date VisitMay 2021

"Lines. Lines and more lines"

Not Verified | Lines. Lines and more lines. Took us about an hour and 15 minutes to make it through agricultural inspection for checked bags, luggage check, TSA, and agricultural inspection for carry-on. Plan ahead. Limited seating in gate areas.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"every employee we encountered was rude"

Not Verified | Everyone working was extremely rude which made my entire experience stressful and terrible. Extremely hot everywhere you go and a total mess. No terminals are put together or organized and every employee we encountered was rude.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"A mess!"

Trip Verified | A mess! When you land be prepared to walk through crowds to get under the blazing sun with not much to cover you, bags will take for ever to come out no matter the airline. The staff are useless. When you are departing be ready for Hawaiian Airlines to be a disaster with inconvenienced employees who can’t help. Be prepared to sit in the heat as this entire airport is outdoors and no aircon, oh and when it rains! Avoid this island.
Date VisitApril 2019

"awful little place"

Not Verified | It is hot, and the American terminal closed for 5 hours as did all the resturants and shops. You get to sit outside. Awful!! I won’t be back to Kona because of this awful little place. Poor Kona residents. Why don’t you upgrade to the year 2018. Ridiculous!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"miserable place"

Not Verified | I’ve flown to many small airports around the world that I would much prefer to this miserable place. I will actually avoid flying into this place and fly to Hilo if I ever return to the big island. I would list all the faults but it’s easier to list the positive elements, there are none. Do yourself a favor and avoid KOA!
Date VisitAugust 2018

"What a shambles"

Trip Verified | What a shambles! Despite requesting a wheelchair for my elderly none was forthcoming at the check in desk. After waiting nearly an hour we gave up. There wasn't even a seat where we could wait. We struggled through security without any assistance and got through to the gate. To be fair the ground staff there were fantastic and found a wheelchair immediately. When I went to the airport website to check their policy for passengers requiring assistance I got a "Page Not Found" message. Why am I not surprised. In this day and age I really expect better customer service than this for a passenger with special needs.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"could have more places to sit down"

Unverified | Typical smallish airport in a tropical location. Open air terminal and very quick for us to get to our gate. No long lines. It could have more places to sit down I guess. There are limited shops and places to eat. Shuttle buses to rental cars are close by. I like it here.
Date VisitDecember 2016

Kona Airport customer review

(Japan)

Dreadful airport especially when you consider who it serves: basically rich locals who can afford to live in Hawaii and tourists like myself coughing up $450-700 a night for a hotel on the Kohala Coast! The check-in area is very crowded and confusing. You hand your bag to a TSA representative through a door after going through the check-in procedure with the airline. The TSA security check had only two people checking passports and two lanes of screening machines and there was a line. It is an outdoor airport sitting on top of a dried up lava flow where it is usually sunny (imagine the heat!). Reminded me of how a cute small open-air airport like the one at Kho Samui works and this one does not. Sadly the one in Hilo isn't much better.