Kolkata Airport

"a lot of improvements can be made"

Not Verified | A lot of improvements can be made with the service, cleanliness and technology provided by this airport. WiFi is only available for indian sim numbers yet there’s a drop down option to input an international number. Access to something like WiFi here feels ancient and it’s inconvenient. Despite this problem which the Mumbai airport has, they were able to connect me at the help desk. But at the Kolkata help desk I was told nothing could be done to connect me so I had to contact my Canadian phone plan to sort matters out. When I asked the lady at the help desk if I could then buy a SIM card she informed me there was at the end of the airport (basically trying to shoo me away) and when I walked all the way at the end, another gentlemen mentioned I cannot obtain one anywhere in this airport. Half the time the help desk is empty. It’s a joke.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"airport is filled with mosquitoes"

Trip Verified | The airport is filled with mosquitoes. It’s actually a health hazard. The airport authority is so ignorant that they don’t even care about the safety of international tourists. Pray to god that I won’t carry any disease to Australia.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"free WiFi is not working"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | No f&b facility is available at waiting area before check in. So dont come and wait for check in with empty stomach! The free WiFi is not working. The airport is new with awesome façade. Anyway, the security is pretty tight as only passengers are allowed within airport area. We need to show boarding pass and passport before entering the main gate of airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Dirty airport"

Trip Verified | At departure gate, seats are worn out, dusty with crumbs of eatables. Floor carpet has not been cleaned, is littered with water bottles, orange seeds and peels. Dirty airport.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"unnecessary and irritating experience"

Not Verified | Worst airport in the world. We flew with Indigo from Mumbai to Singapore, with transit in Kolkata. Arriving at 1am in Kolkata, we moved from the domestic terminal to the international terminal to issue our transit ticket, which strangely enough hadn't been printed before. Turns out that checking in wasn't possible until 3 hours before the flight. Trying to go either with the sleeping rooms or the airport hotels, the personel didn't allow us to leave as we were 'passengers' despite not having gotten our ticket yet. Waiting out the designated time for check-in instead of sleeping, we made our way to immigration. Upon arrival at immigration, security staff didn't allow us to go through security for another half hour, even though airline had just finally issued our ticket. Completely unnecessary and irritating experience for what should have been just a transit moment.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"employ efficient people"

Not Verified | To issue one flight ticket the counter people took half an hour or more for one passenger. And it’s an international transfer. Some passengers will miss the flight for their incompetence. Kindly give proper training or employ efficient people.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Filthy dirty washrooms"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Filthy dirty washrooms, very disappointed. This is the 3rd time in 4 months I am at Kolkota International Airport and the condition of washrooms remains same as it was before. Think about fixing it for real and not just talk big.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"quality of immigration officers is deplorable"

Not Verified | The quality of immigration officers is deplorable. An Indian national with an Indian passport and Australian permanent residence I've never had an issue coming or leaving Australia, New Zealand or Thailand but the staff here seem to be living in a parallel universe. I was travelling through Thai Airways to Australia stopping for a holiday in Phuket. Thailand gives visa on arrival to Indians which I have used in the past. This guy kept me waiting for 15 mins despite a long queue behind me wandering around with my passport talking to other officials, why? I don't know. Asks for my return ticket to India to which I reply I'm an Australian resident and live there. Then he goes on to say that I don't have a visa stamp for either Thailand or Australia despite knowing about Thailand's visa on arrival and Australia being a label free country. On scanning a passport they can easily see a list of airports one has been to and countries a person is allowed into. I think he wanted me to plead and beg him to let me through. Once he ran out of dumb questions he had to let me through nevertheless ruining the end of my India trip. What really annoys me is the attitude they have towards their own countrymen harassing us over literally no issues just to boost their egos and get an illusion that they are important and above us mere mortals.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"no hassles whatsoever"

Trip Verified | Arrived at midnight one day and departed a week later a few hours after midnight. At these hours, the international wing of the airport is rather quiet. Disembarkation and embarkation were by jet bridge. Immigration check was fast - less than 2 minutes. With no checked luggage. I quickly exited past a duty free shop that was amply stocked with whisky. A prepaid taxi booth enables you to buy a taxi ride to your destination. Quite well organized and safe. On departure, checkin was quick. Immigration lines were short and security check was standard for this airport with a physical frisk. You need to show your ticket or a printout to armed sentries at the entrance along with your passport to be let in to the spacious, high ceilings departure hall. A large number of shops were open though the most attractive one is the Biswa Bangla (World of Bengal) store. It carries a wide range of authentic handicrafts in addition to traditional clothes, teas, and paintings. A must stop place to pick up a quality souvenir. I spent the time before departure at the business class lounge which was small but functional with food strictly for the local palate. A bar offered a selection of alcohol and beer. A nice place to relax with one desk top computer available to guests. In short, I found the airport to be better this time and it was very easy to use with no hassles whatsoever!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"rude and unfriendly staff"

Not Verified | I used CCU recently both for arrival and departure in the last week and have noticed a significant detoriation in both arrival and departure areas between 2016 and 2018. Staff are back to being rude like the olden days. It seems rude and unfriendly staff is the trademark of this airport, portraying an extremely bad face for our dear city. Didi has done a great job of building a world class airport. Now only if the people working here would learn a little bit about how to treat people rather than steal from them before 15 hr flights, CCU would be a great airport. At least one can hope. PS: Only airport that does not allow passengers to carry a lighter, even though it is allowed by the IATA.
Date VisitSeptember 2018