Kigali Airport

"None of the staff are friendly"

Not Verified | There are two entries into Kigali Airport - a newer entrance with an automated security screening and an older entrance with screenings done by K9s. Both are slow so expect 30-60 min wait time. You are not allowed into the building terminal unless you can show proof of an itinerary. None of the staff are friendly or helpful, they expect you to know where you are going and are brusque, even rude, in conversation. The other traveler who spoke about the unprofessionalism of the terminal security staff is one I experienced as well. There were 6 security agents, yet one male made the sole female do all of the checking for both of my bags, not even deigning to speak to her, just pointing at things he wanted searched—and even though he knew my flight was at final call. (After the initial boarding announcement, I went to the bathroom and 5 min later it was final call, another issue I have with the airport). He refused to let me inform the ground staff that I was there, when they were just through the checkpoint only 10 meters, not even allowing me to call out to them and making me almost miss my flight with the 20 min search. He pulled out my Emergen-C and Advil packets and accused me of being sick (when I told him I am preventing myself from getting sick!) and told me that my small packets of energy gels and anti malaria pills were not allowed. I was so frustrated with their lack of professionalism and empathy, Kigali Airport needs to train their staff to be gender equal and educated on what exactly what is banned and what is not. I was able to take all my belongings at the end, as a superior staff came and told the man that I was able to take everything he told me I couldn’t. If I could avoid this airport, I would, if not—give yourself an extra 30 min for the in terminal security.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"hot and crowded hall with seats"

(Kenya)

Not Verified | This airport is the worst thing about flying Rwandair as it is pretty much just a hot and crowded hall with seats. Pathetic dining options, absolutely nothing to do during a layover, lack of toilets past security screening. The staff could also be more polite and informative.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Inefficient and poorly trained"

Verified Review | At second security check my carry on bag was selected for thorough checking which was fine. But after checking first pocket of three he pulled out 5 alkaline batteries (which were spares for my torches for upcoming safaris) and said they must be confiscated as not allowed in carry on baggage. I told him that was opposite rule to what applies around the world. He would not listen. He then pointed to a sign with a cross through batteries however sign clearly referred to checked baggage. I do not think he could read or understand the English. His training was appalling and I lost my batteries. This is very disappointing as my opinion of Rwanda which had been very high died then and there. Needless to say after finding the 5 batteries he stopped search. His work was done! And he missed another 3 spare batteries in another pocket. Inefficient and poorly trained.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"airport is newly refurbished and very clean"

(Kenya)

This airport is newly refurbished and very clean. Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing to do here so it's best not to arrive early. My biggest problem with KGL is that the processes are extremely slow, staff seem to lack motivation and sufficient training in customer service. It also took over one hour to clear immigration and collect my luggage yet there was only one flight arriving at the time.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"clean, airy, and un-crowded terminal"

Small airport on a hilltop, you walk into the terminal and descend down while arriving and you take the escalators up when departing. We walked to and fro from the aircraft, affording a glimpse of the hilly city of Kigali. Visa on arrival meant filling out a short form at a manned counter who gives you a receipt which you present to an official at the adjacent counter who stamps the receipt, gives you a copy, and waves you out into the country. The luggage took a few minutes longer to arrive though. There is a Bank of Kigali counter as you exit the building to exchange your currency. Taxis outside - they take both local Rwanda Francs and US dollars - and the drivers speak English. Very pleasant experience stepping out of the terminal with lots of open spaces and no crowds. Clean, airy, and un-crowded terminal, with friendly airport and airline staff. At departure terminal, there are shops selling handicrafts in addition to the standard stocks of a duty free shop - liquor and chocolates. Multi-levels of security at departure -- had to remove shoes, belts, and the like twice. Procedures were generally quite slow and there was a tendency for people to be brought in front of the line by airport staff, further enhancing the waits.
Date VisitAugust 2016

(South Africa)

One of the better airports in Africa I made use of the pay lounge (at USD25) where they served snacks and drinks. I had a medical situation was referred to the medical station and received good medical attention.

(Guatemala)

Staff are efficient and friendly. Its small but clean organized and user-friendly. Arrival and departures are straightforward and fast. I have used the airport 4 times and never found any complications. Shopping options are limited and after migration food options are limited.

Kigali Airport customer review

A small efficient and fairly modern-looking airport. Immigration and customs on arrival was quick and painless. Departure was similarly painless although the layout can be misleading. We walked into what looked to be the main hall (where banks and foreign exchange bureaus were located) but the check-in counters are actually located through doors located more toward the side of the terminal building. After security and check-in I encountered the friendliest immigration official I had ever met who asked me about my impressions of Rwanda and said he hoped I would return. There is an upstairs restaurant where I sat with my colleagues until the airport staff actually came round to gather the passengers for our flight to Entebbe - apparently everyone had checked in and so we left 20 minutes early! Overall a pleasant experience.

Kigali Airport customer review

The airport is rather small but seems efficient and friendly staff. Fast luggage handling hardly any queue at immigration. Same thing at departure. At departure a friend of mine who came late to say goodbye when I was already in the departure hall was allowed to pass through passport control and all the way to the security check where we could meet after a friendly security officer had called me back. For the security level it meant nothing but for goodwill of the staff and airport it meant a lot. The airport is conveniently close to the city. I can say nothing about the shops since I passed at odd times.