Keflavik Airport

"airport appeared very short-staffed"

Trip Verified | I’ve been to Europe 3 times and traveled within the US many times, and this was the worst airport experience I’ve ever had by far. I think the only positive I can say is that the actual in-flight experience was ok getting there. The airport appeared very short-staffed. Extremely short layover times in both directions of round trip created much tension and frustration, especially when my IcelandAir flight from Geneva to Keflavik was already late. I had to take my layover into my own hands. 2 employees said I had to go to the end of a huge line to get through customs even though my plane was already boarding. So after getting in line and it not moving fast enough because my plane was supposed to finish boarding in 5-7 minutes, I unfortunately had to cut towards the front of the line for fear of missing my connection. After getting through customs, I ran furiously to the gate about the time the plane was expected to finish boarding, only to find upon arrival that there were at least 30 people in front of me still boarding, and many others started coming behind me. Then I spoke to a couple in line who had an even more terrible experience with the airport, as they had tickets to New Jersey but were re-routed to Minnesota! It’s a shame it was such a poor experience because I hear good things about visiting Iceland. I can't even rate some of the things accurately such as terminal cleanliness because I was just rushing to catch my connecting flight and had no time to notice it.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Absolute pandemonium at the gates"

Not Verified | Never ever again. This is the worst airport on planet earth. Absolute pandemonium at the gates, complete with rude staff, lack of space, insufficient information, etc. The only good thing to come out of the experience is I was able to assist a person in a wheelchair (who had been abandoned by airport staff) find and get on his flight home (with me) to Boston.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"they progressed too slowly"

Trip Verified | We were getting on UA139 on 7/26. Things seemed to be going rather well getting checked in and through the security screening up until we got to the gate. At that point, the "men in black" stepped in and selected various passengers for additional screening. There were several problems with this: 1) They never told my wife and me why we were being detained. 2) The incompetent employee misplaced our passports so we got to watch several people go ahead of us without even knowing what we were waiting for. 3) After about a half hour, another man in black came over with our passports to ask us how they came to be in his possession. Then he told us that his colleague had misplaced them. 4) They detained far too many people for the two search stations so they progressed too slowly. There were plenty of employees there, but most of them were standing around without apparent purpose. As a result of the delays, I ended up without overhead space even with priority boarding. 5) Personal hygiene - the odor of the guy searching my bag and swabbing my hands and clothes was disgusting. He was in desperate need of a bath. The smell stayed in my nostrils well into the flight. If nothing else, airport security should insist on cleanliness. 6) After making me unpack my belongings and remove my iPad and Kindle Fire from their cases, they were very impatient for me to repack and get out of there. Apparently, it's OK for them to be inefficient but not OK for the passengers. Further, a couple of them thought is was very funny when I had to search around for one of my covers that turned up to have gone under my bag. On top of this, the queuing at the D gates 31 - 36 is terrible. There is just a massive crowd that maybe could be directed properly if the guy managing the traffic didn't stand around chatting.

"the worst airport"

Trip Verified | My recent experiences at Keflavik rank it as the worst airport I've been to in many years. The terminal and gates are too small to handle the number of flights and size of the airplanes that now use the airport. Upon our arrival on a cold, drizzly July day, we had to deplane out on the tarmac. It took quite a while to situate the stairs and buses, and to begin deplaning. The steps were wet and slippery. Our clothes became wet. Immigration, however, was extremely fast and easy. On our departure day, it was a very lengthy, crowded walk to gate D29. In the main terminal area, there is no proper sit-down restaurant, which we had been looking forward to. Seating in the line-up restaurants was sparse and hard to come by. The concourse near gate D29 were so packed with people that it was difficult to squeeze through to get to the gate. Long lines of passengers trying to board flights mixed in with people at the adjoining gates and with those just trying to walk through. There is scant seating by each gate so most people had to stand or sit on a stairway. When our flight was called, we again had to board a bus and, on another cold, drizzly July day, walk from the bus up the wet stairs to the plane. Passengers backed up on the stairway, making us wait to get into the shelter of the aircraft. Icelandair heavily pushes Reykjavik as a connecting and stopover airport. As a travel agent, I would strongly caution my clients against using this airport as a transfer airport. If it became necessary for me to book it, I would definitely urge a very long layover time to handle the crowds and long distances to walk. All-in-all, this airport is very outdated and undersized for its current purpose. This is very sad as the people of Iceland seem quite advanced in other areas of their society.

"Extremely rude staff"

Not Verified | Extremely rude staff and environment. They are not willing to help with directions on how to get to gates or help if you are trying to catch a connecting flight after landing late. We were instructed to go to the back of the passport control line after asking if we can get ahead of people. Though multiple people on the same connecting flight were doing this, we were the only ones to be sent to the back of the line, and when we tried to explain our flight was already boarding, we were told “too bad, everyone is in the same boat.” I will make sure to never fly through this airport again. Disgusting.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"never been to such an unpleasant airport"

Not Verified | I have travelled the world but never been to such an unpleasant airport. Everything was automated with nobody to help you when things went wrong. The result was I checked in my baggage but didn’t get the boarding pass. Nobody to help me with that. An hour later I got that, then had to face security where I was told off rudely for not taking off my watch. Gate number announced - no seats there so everyone on the floor. Woman comes after a while and makes us all go out and come back in. Need I say more? Unfortunately I am returning to Iceland next year. Maybe there will be some pleasant help by then but I doubt it. Shocking place.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst staff I've ever experienced"

Not Verified | I was just trying to ask some information about public transport to go to the city center at the information center, I did research and I just wanted to know how to get to the bus stop. A staff at the info booth talked down to me, looked like he was kind of annoyed about people asking similar questions all the time. He told me to take the expensive direct bus and ignore my questions about the bus stop. No further explanation or whatever. I am a frequent traveller and thats the worst staff I've ever experienced.

"Simply dreadful"

Trip Verified | Simply dreadful. No seats at the gate, people sitting on the floor. 2 gates open for the BA check-in, despite a queue that went out the door. I was eighth in line and waited 45 minutes. Automatic passport checking machines don't work. Everyone who was trying to get through had to get help. Miles to walk to get to the gates and no travelators, but of course the shopping area is fine. Lots of space and lots of staff. That just shows what their real priority is. Get your money and to hell with customer service.

"Unfriendly and rude"

Trip Verified | Unfriendly and rude customer service. This way you go away and don't bother them. Whatever problem you have, it is your fault. Safety, they bus you out to the plane and an older passenger fell off the bus and the attendant just looked at the passenger and did nothing to help as she stood next to the stairs that leads to the plane which you had to walk up.

"treated cruelly"

Not Verified | 35 weeks pregnant but treated cruelly! I asked the airport personnel to give me some kind of priority as there was a very long line for luggage pickup since I was very exhausted. He told me I am no different and have to line up like the others. No chair around. Asked another for help to load my luggage on trolley but signaled he is in a hurry. Not even helping pregnant women! Very disappointed!