Keflavik Airport

"limited options for food and shopping"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | The airport is very overcrowded with limited options for food and shopping. Queue times were average and the staff were just fine. The facilities were not too clean but not horrible either. Available seating was very lacking.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Security was terrible"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | A bad experience ending an otherwise pleasant visit to Iceland! The automatic check-in/bag-tag machine printed our boarding passes but not the bag tags! No other help from staff than "wait for the check-in desk to open". Seems there is no "error handling" if these machine run out of "paper" or get a "paper-crash"! Airport staff seemed to blame the airlines, which I would assume are not responsible for the airport infrastructure... When at last the check-in desk opened we were number three in line. First in line appeared to be a "group" which grew to ~10 by jumping the queue, and took more than half an hour to finish. Security was terrible: staff barking at you for no obvious reason. Was waiting and waiting for bags etc. which appeared to have been "diverted" and was on a different line. Staff coming with case containing bags, throwing it at a table and commanded to take it, then barking because I stepped over a "forbidden" line, and did not remove my stuff quickly enough. Checking of wife with an artificial hip taking what felt like 10 minutes, and forcing her to step up on a "podium" which in itself was an effort for her. Sad, sad, sad! Why should this be our last experience, and what gets stuck in ones mind from an otherwise pleasant Iceland.
Date VisitJune 2019

"a very poor way to end your trip"

Trip Verified | This airport is a horrible experience. The security people bark orders at you. Very disrespectful. Very crowded, blocked toilets. Dreadful really and a very poor way to end your trip.
Date VisitMay 2019

"traveller experience is poor at best"

I have travelled to and through Iceland six times in the past 24 months. The traveller experience is poor at best. Icelandair and Wow and other airlines have simply outpaced the growth of the passenger services. There are no passenger services. Passengers arrive only to be herded onto busses on a remote runway and driven in cold busses to a crowded smelly and stuffy passenger corral. The food services are crowded and poor. The toilets are crowded and mostly clean given the stampede of passengers. We like Icelandair but hate Iceland and this airport so we travel through other countries now. Tourists should abandon Iceland and Keflavik until Iceland builds a real airport for real human beings.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"rude and extremely disrespectful staff"

Not Verified | On my travels all over the world I have never experienced such rude and extremely disrespectful staff, especially the security screening. I will never set foot again at this awful airport. This is the worst airport in the western world.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"the worst service I have ever seen"

Trip Verified | Literally the worst service I have ever seen. The lady at baggage claims services was super rude. We have been waiting at baggage claim for over 2 hours, with no information on our flight and their luggage offloading. Flights arriving after us have gotten their luggage and we have not. Never want to land here again. 0/10 for service and extremely didsapointed.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"the signage was poor"

Trip Verified | I arrived on 6 Dec 2018 and was immediately less than impressed with the entire experience. The seating was scarce and the signage was poor. The fact that you couldn’t buy food in the “departure” area when you just arrived is ridiculous. Sorry for being hungry after an 8.5 hour flight. Then when I got to the rental car pickup no one could help me. I had made a resevation under the Spartan Race which 1000s of other racers did as well yet no one at the airport had any clue of that. I stopped at 3 rental agencies that said “I don’t know. It’s not ours”. The very useless advice from the information desk was, “ I don’t know. Buy a sim card” thanks. After waiting 4 hours, my agent confirmed my reservation with none other than Hertz which I had gone to before. Of course they were apologetic and excuse ridden this time around. However, their incompetence caused me to miss one of the tours I was schedules for. Amazing considering I had five hours and yet the wonderful airport managed to waste all that time. This is by far the worst managed airport I’ve been to. And that’s including Newark, JFK, LAX, SFO and so on. So good job Keflavik. At least you did well in one thing.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"have been consistently disappointed"

Not Verified | First time in Iceland (transferring to Dublin) and have been consistently disappointed. Smoking area is disgusting even by smoking area standards. The restaurants take every currency but Canadian dollars and one must travel through a lengthy passport check area and back, potentially missing the connecting flight, in order to exchange money. Why there is not a more easily accessible bank located on the main floor with the shops is beyond me. Additionally, I found the staff I encountered to be cold and limitedly helpful. The experience makes me rethink my desire to plan a trip to Iceland itself.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Most organised airport"

Trip Verified | Most organised airport I’ve ever been too. Off plane, baggage collected, security passed and on coach in under 15 minutes. Easy to navigate thought out design with polite staff. Very clean.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"the most uncomfortable airport"

Not Verified | This my 7th time in Reykjavik and I have travelled all over the world. Keflavik airport is the most uncomfortable airport to wait in for more than 4 hours that I have ever experienced. My transfer was 11 hours. There were more than 100 people trying to sleep in the airport, but with only metal and wooden seats it is impossible to get comfortable. The airport is set up specifically for transit travellers, but, make no accommodation for them. The airport is very noisy through the night and all seating is in the vicinity of outer doors so it is very cold. You can only sleep on the floor or sit upright all night. Airports that experience a lot of in transit passengers at least have padded seats. I have gone into Reykjavik on 2 occasions, the bus is expensive and so is the city. The hot springs close to the airport are not worth the time or money. So, you are stuck in the airport. I do it to save money, but, sometimes saving money is not worth the wait or hassle. What I saved in money I spent on baggage and waisted time. It is time for better flights and better airports.
Date VisitNovember 2018