Keflavik Airport

"dirty, smelly and chaotic airport"

Trip Verified | A dirty, smelly and chaotic airport, I had an unpleasant time when I transit through Keflavik airport this month. We were debarked on tamarack. Initially I thought the terminals were not available. In reality the taxiways were blocked by containers thrown all over the places. Even the bus had to go around those containers. Inside the airport I was hit by a strange smell which I realized came from the washroom near by. The airport was crowded, disorganized and confusing. The official had no clue to give you right direction. At the boarding gate were two seats only. There were several boarding gates close to each other and line like a rugby scrum. Prices in the airport are three times more expensive than Paris.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"The most terrible airport"

Not Verified | The most terrible airport I have ever been to. Avoid if you can. Disorganized and very small for number of people that the airport ‘serves’. Lines everywhere, no seats are available. Flights are delayed.

"curiously disorganized"

Not Verified | I have travelled internationally quite a bit - a few countries each year. And I have transited through Iceland previously on the way to Europe. Going through security was long enough with old-style scanners and inefficient passenger checks. It is a curiously disorganized airport with essentially no waiting areas at gate, just hallways that passengers are supposed to congregate in. Often these large clusters of passengers completely block the hallway preventing other passengers from getting to their gates. It is not the most pleasant airport to do a layover in, as the kiosks have always had long lines, and there is typically not enough seating (as the gates are in the hallways). This particular trip our destination actually is Iceland, and we had a great time - but trying to deplane and board has been a joke. No seating, passengers crammed together from different flights, almost crawling over each other trying to get to gates that the airlines have booked all together. It’s a Zoo! Clearly, they need to have some organizational help in designing their terminal and organizing passengers to limit delays, confusion and passenger discomfort.

"extremely uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Although modern in appearance, this is far from an airport that reflects the modern world. Important travel announcements are drowned out by the music coming from the cafes, so it is often impossible to hear vital information. I will plan all upcoming trips to avoid a long stopover here, mainly because it was an extremely uncomfortable waiting experience. Lack of seating, but also the powerful airconditioning, which still functions at 8 degrees C outside temperatures. There was no escape from the cold that I was forced to buy extra clothing. I saw one passenger with sheets of newspaper wrapped around herself to keep warm. The queuing system needs immediate attention, as a priority. Chaos doesn't describe the atmosphere when working out where your line should start and stop. This airport has potential, if feedback is accepted.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"KEF is a great airport"

Trip Verified | KEF is a great airport. It is clean, modern, and the security/check in lines tend to be shorter. There is plenty of seating and some seating that overlooks the entire terminal. There is usually minimal seating by your gate. Walks to your gate can take a fair amount of time so plan accordingly. Customs tends to have either no line or a line of 2 people. Food is great. Not too many shops but there are a couple including 66 north and blue lagoon. Free wifi works great.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Absolutely horrible"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible. I'm not going to explain all my experiences since there are plenty of them already described and they're absolutely true. Slow, proactive and extremly rude personel. Shame on you for representing your otherwise great country and people in this way. So to take one specific incident out of many. Airport security directly tried to provoke discussions. They were unclear and offended when I tried to help out my parents in law who are not fluent in English. In the end out of pure provocative reasons, the woman in security slowly emptied every single item in our bags, left in all in a huge pile, said "I'm done" and turned her back on us. We are a family with two small kids and in no way did we deserve anything but a helpful and professional behavior from security as we have gotten anywhere else. Part of being a security officer is also to be efficient and prevent security issues. Not wasting time in pointless discussions and being directly proactive.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"seating is extremely limited"

Not Verified | Airport is nice, new and clean and that’s where the positives end! Food and drink are more expensive than even the London airports, you are required to scan your boarding pass to buy anything, which is cumbersome, staff seem rude and unwilling to assist in things like reading the credit card machine (not in English). As for the airport itself, small with very little choice in food or drink, seating is extremely limited, leaving lots of people sitting on the floor, and space is cramped for the amount of people milling around the airport. Difficult to walk, find somewhere to sit, a table to eat at, etc. Will do whatever I can to avoid flying through this airport again!
Date VisitAugust 2018

"it should be completely"

Not Verified | What were they thinking when they designed this airport? There are no departure lounges, just long queues of people outside gates, figuring out where the end of the line might be and asking each other constantly which flight they are queuing for. It's totally bizarre, worse than the old city airports that were replaced by new international airports decades ago around the world. Many of the most crowded, chaotic airports in developing countries are actually more functional than this. It's actually a serious drawback to flying Icelandair. What's more amazing is that it's in the middle of hectares of empty land, so the need to do away with luxuries like seats and organized gate areas is all the more difficult to understand. It's all brand new, but perhaps it should be completely rebuilt.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"airport appeared very short-staffed"

Trip Verified | I’ve been to Europe 3 times and traveled within the US many times, and this was the worst airport experience I’ve ever had by far. I think the only positive I can say is that the actual in-flight experience was ok getting there. The airport appeared very short-staffed. Extremely short layover times in both directions of round trip created much tension and frustration, especially when my IcelandAir flight from Geneva to Keflavik was already late. I had to take my layover into my own hands. 2 employees said I had to go to the end of a huge line to get through customs even though my plane was already boarding. So after getting in line and it not moving fast enough because my plane was supposed to finish boarding in 5-7 minutes, I unfortunately had to cut towards the front of the line for fear of missing my connection. After getting through customs, I ran furiously to the gate about the time the plane was expected to finish boarding, only to find upon arrival that there were at least 30 people in front of me still boarding, and many others started coming behind me. Then I spoke to a couple in line who had an even more terrible experience with the airport, as they had tickets to New Jersey but were re-routed to Minnesota! It’s a shame it was such a poor experience because I hear good things about visiting Iceland. I can't even rate some of the things accurately such as terminal cleanliness because I was just rushing to catch my connecting flight and had no time to notice it.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Absolute pandemonium at the gates"

Not Verified | Never ever again. This is the worst airport on planet earth. Absolute pandemonium at the gates, complete with rude staff, lack of space, insufficient information, etc. The only good thing to come out of the experience is I was able to assist a person in a wheelchair (who had been abandoned by airport staff) find and get on his flight home (with me) to Boston.