Kansas City Airport

"needs major improvement"

Not Verified | Flown through MCI multiple times, airport was dark and dingy, all the shops and restaurants were on the wrong side of security and the staff are rude. Overall needs major improvement.
Date VisitJune 2020

"horrible depressing place"

Trip Verified | Filthy, nasty carpet, dirty, dark, drab building with unclear confusing signs that will lead you to where you don't want to go. Tattered seats. Small tight dirty bathrooms that can only accommodate 4 women at a time. I refused to eat here despite being hungry due to the filth. Seriously who designed and maintains this horrible depressing place? I hope to never fly through here again. They need to tear the whole airport down and start over again.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"worst airport for a layover"

Trip Verified | This is the worst airport for a layover in a developed country! Where to start with a list of what's wrong? First, instead of having access to the entire terminal building as all other airports, travelers are crammed into about 6 gate areas and you cannot leave it without going through security again to get back in. That means you are stuck with limited services unless you want to go through the TSA line again. And what great services are available! Small one-holer bathrooms with 1970s designs that are dirty and smell, too few to accommodate everyone which causes long lines even in the mensroom. Restaurants that close at 7PM when my connecting flight does not depart until 8:25pm. Not enough chairs for everyone to sit. Ancient airline displays with plastic cards vs. modern terminals. I've been to third world countries with airports that are much better! I'll never layover here on a trip again. Southwest, you should be both ashamed & embarrassed that you call this airport a hub! I'll fly other airlines instead of flying through KC. You've lost my business.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"this was my worst airport experience"

Not Verified | The staff at this airport made the decision to not honor passengers with TSA precheck during a very busy holiday weekend. There was no communication indicating this was happening so we got into a very long security line with little time to spare. Then the TSA agent scanned and took both my luggage and backpack aside for an internal inspection of all contents. All of my luggage contents were removed then shoved back into my bags without any findings. Approximately 75% of all passenger bags were inspected without any findings. The security line was so confusing with bags being removed and belongings being removed that people were walking away and leaving their personal belongings at security. In a span of 5 minutes, 3 different TSA agents brought over laptops to the gate agent that people left behind. I also walked away without my laptop then quickly returned to retrieve it. The TSA agents were also very rude and not doing anything to resolve the long lines or chaotic situation! Once we got through the gate I was shocked to see how absolutely dirty the gate areas were, with trash on the ground everywhere and overflowing trash cans! We’ve traveled to this airport for many years and I’ve traveled to many airports in and outside of the US and this was my worst airport experience and I will never return.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"a poor reflection of her position"

Trip Verified | I have always had pleasant experiences with the Kansas City airport until I was leaving the airport in my Uber. My Uber driver was cussed out by an older woman who was airport security with quite explicit language for trying to merge into the exiting lane. There were no signs and she was not directing traffic, but rather sitting in her car blocking the lane we were in. No biggie, due to us needing to scoot over into the left exiting lane. Just as we were merging, she jumped out of her car and began to profusely scream and swear, demanding we stop. She proceeded to allow every other car pass us and then walked to the back of my Uber drivers car to take his license. She did not come to the car nor give a ticket, so I am not quite sure why the explosive language and looking at the license plate. Her level of professionalism was pitiful and completely uncalled for. It was a poor reflection of her position. The rest of the experience at the Kansas City airport was super friendly and pleasant, as usual. My rating is solely based off of the explosive security woman. I reccomend this airport, but strongly believe someone should address the exiting lanes with class and clarity.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Staff are rude"

Not Verified | Staff are rude, car rental staff are even worse, no help loading our baby or luggage from shuttle to airport, and forced to cross dangerous roads in the process. One disgusting, uncleaned restroom for the women serving no less than 8 gates and a restaurant. They can't tear this place down fast enough. Flying into Tulsa from now on.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever. You are dropped out by ticketing then ensues an hour plus of hell. You check in then walk what feels like a mile to security entrance then retrace your steps inside secured area for another mile to get to the gate to find out you are trapped with no restrooms or amenities. Everyone waiting was moaning about the setup.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"This place should be demolished"

Not Verified | This place should be demolished at the earliest opportunity. Kansas City should be embarrassed to have this representing the city. All of the awful things people have said on this site about this Airport are true. I have a two hour layover here and I am counting the minutes until I can get out of this wretched place.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Absolutely horrible experience"

Not Verified | I am in a lot of airports and always find Kansas City security to be rude, disrespectful, humiliating. They will paw through your personal belongings and dump them all over the counter. Absolutely horrible experience.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"This is the peak of stupidity"

Not Verified | Arrival was no big deal. I left this morning. Walked through security. Was randomly selected as usual, then once allowed through I discovered that the gates don't connect. So I had to leave, go through security once again, where I was randomly selected, once again, the ladies ahead of me had to deal with the same thing and were annoyed. The workers there couldn't answer any of the questions they or anyone else had. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the day before, and the part that made me furious is that they threw out my toothpaste saying it wasn't allowed since they don't let you take in liquids over a certain amount, but one of the gate TSA people let a pilot carrying four cups of Starbucks coffee through the security door without hesitation. This is the peak of stupidity. All this about how they're making things safe for us when everyone knows the TSA is staffed by people who wouldn't make it at McDonalds.
Date VisitDecember 2018