Kansai Osaka Airport

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

I have used Kansai airport for many times in my travels to/from Okinawa since (until the recent opening of the new Nagoya airport) the alternative was to fly to Narita and then take the 90-minute bus ride to Haneda. If you can communicate in Japanese you will have no problem with airport staff. In the past this wasn't always the case. A westerner that spoke fluent Japanese would be greeted with dumbfounded looks so it's safe to say that airport staff have become more cosmopolitan over the years. The only complaint I would have is about the scant collection shops eateries and services past the security checkpoints. In all other respects this airport is wonderful. It's so well-designed that it never seems crowded even when it is and the free wi-fi is a definite plus allowing you to be productive while you are killing time during layovers.

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

I arrived in Japan for the first time via Kansai. Seems I had a similar experience to other non-Japanese. At immigration there were 3 desks open for about 100 Japanese and 3 desks open for about 500 non-Japanese! Spending almost an hour waiting for my passport to be stamped while tiny Korean children run all over my feet is not my idea of a good time and the only airport that I've been made to feel less welcome at is Tel Aviv. Had no problems once I got through customs and things improved. It may have just been culture-shock but I was a little confused about how to get into the city from the airport. But the people at the information desks are extremely helpful and can also book hotel rooms at reasonable rates. Internet access is also easy and cheap. Transport into Osaka city and points beyond seemed pretty good too.

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

Kansai international airport would be more aptly renamed Kansai for Japanese only airport. I am well used to this airport having lived for 3 years just outside Osaka. Immigration at this airport calls all non- Japanese foreigners and even stamps Japanese passports. Customs stops everyone and even the Japanese show their tickets. Foreigners are usually searched thoroughly without exception. Customs officials are often monoglots. Bureaux de change require travellers to fill a form to list the currency they are exchanging. Signs within the airport are often in Japanese only. Airport restaurants treat non-Asians like little green men from Mars. The restaurant menus are mainly in Japanese only. The Airport bus ticket machines show destinations in Japanese only. Bus drivers are monoglots. No wonder hardly any tourists go to Japan. I was lucky. I speak Japanese.

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

Kansai is the one of the best airports in the world. The duty free shops are fine and transportation to/from the airport to Osaka is very convenient. There is also some Hi-speed computers near the gates too. However the whole building was a little complex but I'll say its overall fine.

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

One of the best airports in the world: airy light unbelievably. Never crowded never rushed it just oozes efficiency. After a red-eye flight from Europe nothing beats Osaka Kansai - after I exit through immigration and customs I get myself a can of chilled tea from a vending machine and from then on I know my trip will be fine and everything is good. Airside shopping is substandard but then it is hardly a transit destination. On the way back to UK I always manage to get all the sake I need. Hotel Nikko Kansai within 5 minutes from the terminal is convenient and efficient. Again - so much space everywhere so much air. Ultimate stress relief.

Kansai Osaka Airport customer review

I went through Kansai in January and February. On my second trip the immigration was useless. It took one hour to go through immigration and I have been going in and out of Japan since 1988. Not enough officers manning the " Foreigners " immigration counter and they only waited until all Japanese were processed before opening up additional counters. As for shopping forget it. Selection of shops is poor and just the usual Japanese high priced cosmetics and French scarves. Prices for drinks and food once you had gone through immigration were excessive. Nothing to recommend the place. Also don't make the mistake of staying at a hotel on the " land side" of the airport. We caught the HARUKA Express from Kyoto then decided to take a shuttle bus to hotel. Shuttle buses don't start until 5:00PM so we took a taxi back. Yen 4900 approx for a short trip - unreal