Johannesburg Airport

Johannesburg Airport customer review

A spacious and modern airport that clearly has undergone improvements recently. Check-in and baggage claim a bit chaotic but the dining and shopping after departures security is excellent. Plenty of seating around departure gates.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

I'm a student from Malawi and I usually use the Johannesburg International Airport 2-3 times a year to go back and forth from Malawi to the US. So far I've not had any problems and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Last year when I was coming to the US I had less than half an hour to switch from one plane to the next. The lines were very long that day so I explained my situation to one of the staff who helped me get on my flight on time. It's not the finest airport in the world but that's not surprise given that they're doing a lot of construction works for the 2010 World Cup.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

My wife and I each had a large suitcase and the four times we used the airport our luggage was undisturbed and sent to the correct connections. The staff was friendly helpful and efficient. The completed airport is very clean and the many shops are fun to visit and pass the time away.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

Arrived last week from LHR. The new passport control facility is a huge improvement. It's a long walk there from the arrivals gates in the new international pier but there were plenty of desks and I got through in about 7 minutes. Infinitely better than the erstwhile 45 minute queue. The new central terminal is open (terminal B) and is also a huge improvement. But the domestic check-in signage could be better as I ended up standing in the wrong SAA check-in line and being told off by the rude staff. All in all I'm moderately impressed.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

Two return visits to ORTIA Joburg over last 3 weeks one with onward connection to Cape Town. Massive improvements over recent months. Excellent shopping and dining though temporary passport control struggles to cope at busy arrivals times that said staff friendly and helpful. An easy fix that has happened twice was the plane arriving early yet had to wait for airbridge operator to arrive so we could disembark.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

As with so many other travellers through this Airport the long delays at incoming Passport Control are awful - with minimum check in desks dealing with some 300 incoming UK passport holders on a flight. Resulting (as with us) missing the connecting flight to Durban and being charged a Rebooking Fee at the South African Airways check in desk to catch the next flight Only advice can give is to allow at least three hours for transfer time for connecting flights.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

Although the customs and immigration staff leave a lot to be desired the airport itself is very nice after the refurbishment. The check in areas as with most airports is okay but nothing special but once through the immigration and into the departures area I was stunned. OR Tambo has some of the best shopping I have seen at an airport. It is clean spacious and inviting.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

Arrived from Hong Kong at 06:30. Went through the immigration quickly as we are SA citizens but were surprised to see that there were only 2 counters open for foreigners (which were the majority of the passengers on our flight). Stood at baggage collection for 45 minutes the worst I have ever experienced. Once we got our baggage we went through the "nothing to declare" line along with pretty much everyone else. Although 4 customs officers were on duty not a single person was stopped and asked to open their bags. This is insane security is non-existent. The airport itself has undergone a facelift the international departures much nicer than international arrivals. the departures hall has obviously been upgraded first and really has 5 star facilities in terms of shopping and dining.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

30 min queue through immigration nut well organised and continual move forward. Check in on return very efficient with luggage shrink wrapped prior to check in. Airside plenty of room and facilities.

Johannesburg Airport customer review

While the check in area of the international terminal still leaves just a little to be desired the area past security has some of the best airport shopping I have seen in a long time. There is an endless amount of stores and a great restaurant. Baggage claim also surprised me after my arrival in JNB. My bag was waiting for me when I arrived.