Istanbul Airport

"the distances are ridiculous"

Trip Verified | I have travelled through the new Istanbul Airport 6 times in the last two months. This airport is massive, pretentious and soulless- it clearly an ego project, built to show off, rather than being focused on the convenience of the actual persons of importance, namely us, the travelers. The distances in the airport are ridiculous, and the taxiing time of the airplanes are preposterous. Twice we taxi’ed more than 30 minutes after leaving our gate, and all other times more than 15 minutes. 3 of my flights were delayed by close to 30 minutes and 1 by an hour. Twice I nearly missed my connecting flights because of the combination of long taxiing, delays and the 2.5 km run from one gate to another. In fairness, I will list a few redeeming factors: Turkish Airlines Business Lounge is still one of the best lounges, but it is no better than the old one at Atatürk, and has no style. The transfer security is quick, efficient and has a priority lane. Makes up for the rudeness. All in all, I will avoid this Istanbul monstrosity if and when I can.
Date VisitJune 2019

"great mall, terrible airport"

Trip Verified | I have passed through the new Istanbul airport twice now. It is big and beautiful but horrible. The focus is on the mall aspects. For travelers it is ridiculous. Very limited public seating. What there is is uncomfortabke and disgustingly dirty (already!). No place to charge a phone. Food options are limited but that is likely tied to next phase of opening. The airport is big so it needs a more efficient way to move between terminals. It took me 80 mins to get from arrival gate, through transfer security, to next gate at 5 in the morning when it was relatively quiet because it is far and because only one security bay was open. My departure gate area had secondary security. On the secure side there was enough seating for about half the passengers and with standing room it was very crowded. There are only two lounges. One for Business/First on Turkish and the other a dismal pay for use that costs 59 euros (with limited options, space, comfort, and facilities). If you have Priority pass, Amex, or access from another airline you are out of luck. One hour of poor wifi, non-extendable. In sum: great mall, terrible airport.

"Huge soulless place"

Trip Verified | Huge soulless place. Lots of retail everywhere, hardly any restaurant space. No free WiFi (unacceptable on a brand new airport) and nowhere to charge your devices (Hey, it’s not like it’s a basic requirement right(?) The only improvements over the old airport is the overcrowding is not as bad and immigration/security takes less time than it used to - however travel to your gate will likely take longer. Overall a huge disappointment, seems to have been specifically designed to provide a bad traveller experience.

"Terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Terrible customer service throughout the whole airport. Every time I asked anyone for help they directed me somewhere else. Most of the employees do not speak English. The gate number kept changing and we missed our flight. Overall a terrible experience.
Date VisitJune 2019

"rude and very unprofessional"

Not Verified | My mother and I had a connection flight via the new Istanbul Airport. During the checks before we were to board the plane, the staff were insulting towards mother. They were asking rather strange questions about her. She was travelling to the UK with me, and I remember hearing the team asking what her intentions for going to the UK are. Once that question was answered, the staff asked about my (The son) occupation from my mother. They continued questioning her by further asking what sort of car I drive in the UK and how long I (The Son) has lived in the UK. The questions and the amount of pressure they put my mother under was very overwhelming. I was left with no choice but to intervene as my mother got so upset with the staff's attitude and cried in front of everyone. We will never travel anywhere via Istanbul again. The staff at the airport, especially the ones at the checkpoint, are super rude and very unprofessional. I can not believe that I have now contributed to their salary by choosing to fly their national airline. The experience has been very disappointing and one that we will not forget for a very long time. I think building a new modern airport is one side of the equation and what is more important is to ensure the airport is supported by well-mannered staff. Our experience indicated that the staff were hired from a poorly educated background who do not know who to interact with the public.

"extremely rude manner"

Not Verified | We were flying from Istanbul to Paris on 07/06/2019, my flight number is AF1391 which is boarding at gate D7, we are travelling as a family of 4, we are British citizens with valid passports and boarding passes, a member of staff who declared himself as security and was checking the passport at the gate entrance, he spoke poor broken English was talking to us in an extremely rude manner. I had all the passports in order, he made us put the passports individually, I have travelled to many countries and never experienced a problem with organising the passports and boarding passes in order, he is a member of staff being extremely difficult, we are not aggressive passengers and there is no need in speaking in this manner, it’s not what you say it’s how you say it. I am extremely disappointed with the service, attitude and manner. The airport is a great new place however it’s people like this which causes a great downfall in terms of reviewing the airport.

"Horrific airport"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Horrific airport and major disappointment. 37 minutes of taxi upon landing, 32 minutes during take off. No announcements. People do not speak English. 3 gate changes that were not announced. Had to run for 20 minutes and almost missed my flight. Ugly, huge building with no train service. Hundreds of people sleeping on the ground like a refugee camp. Awful, awful, awful.
Date VisitJune 2019

"mall port more concerned with retail revenue"

(Taiwan)

Not Verified | In brief – had a 12 hour layover and wanted to recharge my devices and find a comfortable seat. Seems reasonable. Impossible in this newest mall port more concerned with retail revenue that traveller convenience. Walked around on five separate occasions looking for a seat. The few lounge clusters provided are used as beds – so one sleeper takes up 5 seats. And if you do find a seat it will almost certainly be stained by heads and feet. What about charging a phone – no too much to expect in 2019, right. Apparently it is in IGA. There is nowhere, I repeat, nowhere to charge a device in the main terminal hall. So ask for help. The one information desk is appalling. After three attempts to find a charge station I gave up – one person perfunctorily dealt with the a queue while two others sat looking on. Customer service is a concept this airport is yet to grasp. And the internet: one hour timed from opening, not useable in discriminate logins, and you need a contactable phone to use that. Oh, and a small yoghurt cost me 10 euro. Shame IGA don’t understand that it requires more than impressive architecture to build a good airport.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport was finished in a rush"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | It took 35 minutes to arrive airport from Maslak CBD by car. Entrance was very quick as the new airport terminal has seven gates and plenty of security screening boots. Since I did my online checkin, I proceed to the passport control and completed procedures and security check in less than two minutes. All those formalities were quite smooth and rapid when it is compared to old Ataturk Airport. The new terminal is spacious and architecturally inspiring. Yet some finishing materials are poorly detailed. It gives the impression that the airport was finished in a rush. Inside there are a large number of duty-free shops offering a wide range of brands & goods. The food court is on the upper floor and accessed by escalators. It seems the area and choices are limited for the large airport. This is little bit annoying. It took 15 minutes walk to go to my gate after passport control. The longest walk I guess would be 25 minutes if your gate is on the extreme corner. Toilets were sufficient and clean, yet the amenities were basic. It requires more efforts to catch the standards in Doha, Dubai or Singapore. What is really missing in this brand new airport is quite corners equipped with more comfortable seating. If you have long connecting time and don't want to pay for the expensive lounges, you would definitely need some quiter corners where you can rest, read or having a quick nap. This is essential for this size international hub. Overall the new Istanbul Airport is good but needs some improvements in certain points to increase the passenger convenience.
Date VisitApril 2019

"the worst experience ever"

(Norway)

Not Verified | It was a bad experience from start to take off. The Airport itself is new and looks stunning but the staff is just horrible. Very few who speak English and if they do speak English its like talking to a 2 year old kid. Customs were no where to found on signs. Had to walk and search for customs. Check in staff could not help us locate them. Nobody working in duty free shops. My wife wanted to buy some make up and picked up some testers to find staff to help her and were accused of theft. We were then forced to buy these goods. And of course nobody spoke english so we could not understand them and they could not understand us. The bathrooms were dirty with water sprayed everywhere. This was in the gate area A. All in all the worst experience ever. Travelled with wife and three children.
Date VisitMay 2019