Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"overcrowded transfer gate"

Not Verified | Transit experience - overcrowded transfer gate, someone form airport staff showed up after 15minutes or so to say there are two other gates 5-10 minutes walk. Not good if you don't have much time to catch an airplane. Transfer desk - complete lack of professionalism with statements 'it is your problem' and just then ignoring you. Lounge - very average food, PlayStation without charged pads, good thing is only a lot of alcohol.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"dirtiest toilet facilities"

Not Verified | One of the busiest airports in the world with shops such as Prada, Chanel etc and the dirtiest toilet facilities we have ever seen and the staff are rude. Also got swabbed going through security and it turns out they are reusing swabs after other passengers! If at all possible try to avoid this airport.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"never to be recommended"

(Lebanon)

Trip Verified | To start with, we arrived about 2 hours and a half earlier than our flight to the airport. We had to wait like more than half an hour for the passport control due to the congestion, noting that not all counters were available. Then, the staff were shouting on us to remove our shoes and get in the scanner machine and all do not speak English so we had many difficulties to understand what they want. How come that an international airport has only Turkish speaking staff, and rude staff. Next, we went to check in with tax refund process, and here, in this airport happens what does not happen in any airport in the world: They need to check your baggage, you have to open and search for the items in the airport in order to have your invoices stamped. What a shame. We got delayed due to this process, but still we were safe and on time. Due to the disorganization and the non helpful staff who were shouting on us and telling us to move faster when scanning our items, we lost a cell phone. We were told we had to go to the lost and found office and everyone you ask in this airport tells you to go in wrong directions so we got lost. We lost lots of time and we arrived at the gate 15 mins earlier, after running miles and miles to reach our gate after 15 mins of running. The staff taking care of checking passports was still available in the gate but refused to check our passports since boarding had ended 2 mins ago. We had to buy new tickets, even though we were at the airport and we checked in on time. Also to mention that we were told by the transfer desk of Turkish airlines and by the sales office of Turkish airlines that our bags were unloaded and they will be transferred to our new ticket. However, our bags arrived to Beirut with the flight that we missed, and when we were complaining about our bags they did not help us and were insisting that the bags are still in Turkey, till we showed them the pictures of our bags with our parents in Beirut, who managed to take them from Beirut international airport. I didn't receive any help from anyone in the airport and anyone from the airline staff, but I was always told wrong information and sent in wrong directions and even my bags were not organized to stay and arrive with my new flight. This flight and this airport is never to be recommended.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"airport was the worst part of our journey"

Trip Verified | We have travelled to many countries and this airport was the worst part of our journey. The staff were arrogant, rude, disrespectful and couldn't speak English, they had no communication skills at all. We were split up from our family members due to our luggage being in the wrong part if the airport. They took my honey which I purchased and had in my suitcase. They laughed as they took it from my suitcase. I explained that I was told I was allowed to take it but they just grinned and mumbled words at each other and took it.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"no one spoke any English"

Not Verified | The staff are horrible and very rude. No one speaks English at the airport. Do not ask any of the staff members any questions because you will get the wrong answer. I went to the information desk outside to ask about the tax return office. I was told by the lady that it is after the passport control and the security. I asked twice and other people asked the same question and were told the same answer. So I checked in my luggage and went past the passport control and walked to the customs office to get a stamp. Again no one spoke any English and it was very difficult to communicate. I was told by them I can’t get my tax return because they need to see all the goods. Yes one by one. What was very frustrating is the lack of politeness. They were all very rude. Start laughing as I am talking to them or looking at their phones. I asked to speak to a manager and I was told there isn’t one. I asked how I can complain and again was told I can’t and if I have a problem to go to the police. I went to the website to make a complaint and again that isn’t possible. I have another flight booked later in the year which includes transiting in Turkey but I will make sure that I cancel this flight. It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful country but for me it’s definitely not worth being treated like this.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Chaos reigns at Ataturk Airport"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Chaos reigns at Ataturk Airport. The airport’s so called “free” WiFi was only for 2 hours at week and I had to turn on my cell phone service to get a text message to actually activate it! I mean, really! Disgusting and uncleaned bathrooms. Security filters are a mess and there is not enough restaurants. My worst airport experience ever.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"toilets not cleaned properly"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | There were people laying on the floor, corridors crowded, toilets not cleaned properly and a rather uninviting atmosphere on an extremely busy and global airport. I was able to find a spot to sleep a bit and that was the best part of my transit time. Duty free is inexpensive and you can find some good deals.

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever, air conditioning not working. And seven hour layover. Dire if you have that time of the month, I asked the only person at the customer services (who was male) where you could find sanitary products in the airport the answer was outside (I was transiting for 7 hours) - rang the pharmacy outside the airport said they would deliver in 30 minutes at the “meeting spot”. When I asked the host at customer services where the meeting spot was had a flippant point of the finger and starbucks - there are two Starbucks and the person in pharmacy refused to deliver. I wonder if same experience with a female? Probably not!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Unbelievably terrible airport"

Not Verified | Unbelievably terrible airport, and I’ve been to quite a few. Horribly organized - like we’re talking one by one full carry-on inspection at the gate, overcrowded gate with no seating, lines for the plane that pass through the seating area where there is almost no room to queue. Dirty, outlets broken, disgusting. Far too hot in September. Food is horrible, even major international chains. Bad, bad, bad.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"This is totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | I am complaining in the strongest terms possible with regard to the lack of respect and consideration to myself, my sister and indeed all other passengers. On entering Ataturk Airport, we stood in a queue to have our luggage and belongings put through the X-ray machine. When reaching the table which the luggage has to sit on, we are all expected to lift heavy cases waist high without any help. There are no members of staff to assist and the one person who was there, stood at the X-ray machine all the while seeing the difficulty passengers were having with lifting the heavy cases up onto the table and never tried to find someone to help us. This is totally unacceptable. You have spent several millions of GBP upgrading the airport which indeed looks wonderful but a simple thing as an electric conveyor belt at a low level which the cases could be put onto and would then roll upwards to the table top would have been an easy item to install at very little cost in comparison to the airport upgrade. Of course, this will not stop us returning to Istanbul and I imagine this is why you don’t bother to upgrade this as you know it won’t stop passengers travelling through your airport. Please remember though, your lovely new and improved airport was only possible due to the passengers which you now so clearly give no consideration to in respect to my complaint. I very much hope you will reply to me.