Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"toilets not cleaned properly"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | There were people laying on the floor, corridors crowded, toilets not cleaned properly and a rather uninviting atmosphere on an extremely busy and global airport. I was able to find a spot to sleep a bit and that was the best part of my transit time. Duty free is inexpensive and you can find some good deals.

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever, air conditioning not working. And seven hour layover. Dire if you have that time of the month, I asked the only person at the customer services (who was male) where you could find sanitary products in the airport the answer was outside (I was transiting for 7 hours) - rang the pharmacy outside the airport said they would deliver in 30 minutes at the “meeting spot”. When I asked the host at customer services where the meeting spot was had a flippant point of the finger and starbucks - there are two Starbucks and the person in pharmacy refused to deliver. I wonder if same experience with a female? Probably not!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Unbelievably terrible airport"

Not Verified | Unbelievably terrible airport, and I’ve been to quite a few. Horribly organized - like we’re talking one by one full carry-on inspection at the gate, overcrowded gate with no seating, lines for the plane that pass through the seating area where there is almost no room to queue. Dirty, outlets broken, disgusting. Far too hot in September. Food is horrible, even major international chains. Bad, bad, bad.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"This is totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | I am complaining in the strongest terms possible with regard to the lack of respect and consideration to myself, my sister and indeed all other passengers. On entering Ataturk Airport, we stood in a queue to have our luggage and belongings put through the X-ray machine. When reaching the table which the luggage has to sit on, we are all expected to lift heavy cases waist high without any help. There are no members of staff to assist and the one person who was there, stood at the X-ray machine all the while seeing the difficulty passengers were having with lifting the heavy cases up onto the table and never tried to find someone to help us. This is totally unacceptable. You have spent several millions of GBP upgrading the airport which indeed looks wonderful but a simple thing as an electric conveyor belt at a low level which the cases could be put onto and would then roll upwards to the table top would have been an easy item to install at very little cost in comparison to the airport upgrade. Of course, this will not stop us returning to Istanbul and I imagine this is why you don’t bother to upgrade this as you know it won’t stop passengers travelling through your airport. Please remember though, your lovely new and improved airport was only possible due to the passengers which you now so clearly give no consideration to in respect to my complaint. I very much hope you will reply to me.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"has now outlived its usefulness"

Trip Verified | This could be one of the last reviews on Istanbul-Ataturk as the new airport is scheduled to open in about seven weeks. I have felt that Istanbul-Ataturk has always gotten a bad rap. I have always found Istanbul-Ataturk easy to use, the food and shopping choices are plentiful, and the overall airport is efficient in its services (immigration, security checking, luggage collection). The problem with Istanbul-Ataturk is that air traffic increased exponentially over the past eleven years, due to the growth of Turkish Airlines, that the existing facilities could not handle the increased air traffic and number of passengers. But Istanbul-Ataturk has now outlived its usefulness and I look forward to using the new airport, though I will miss the drive from Sultanahmet to Istanbul-Ataturk which is one of the best airport to city drives in the world.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"so ignorant and unhelpful"

Not Verified | Went with kids and my elderly mother. The airport is the worst I’ve been to. I needed assistance with my mother which had been requested. No member of staff could even be bothered to help. Even higher position officials just ignored my pleas for help. The people of this country seem so ignorant and unhelpful. They just seem so lazy. I would never travel through this airport. It is awful and the bus rides from plane to terminal are so dangerous with the elderly. The buses are crammed and drivers are like maniacs. I made a complaint but they just ignored it. I’ve read many other reviews and most are of a similar nature to mine. I’m surprised that the airport doesn’t give damn. No more Turkish Airlines! Avoid this airport at all costs! My journey back was similar. I did get assistance this time but only after I sought it out and had to wait in one place for over an hour. Ridiculous service that is almost non existant in this poor airport terminal run by ineffective people that think they are superior to the customers that pay their wages. They need to do something urgently.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"restrooms are so dirty"

(Turkey)

Not Verified | The restrooms are so dirty. The airport has so many shops, in almost every area which makes the airport looks so bad. I think TAV isn’t doing much about the airport because it is going to close in 2 months, windows are so dirty, floors are so dirty, TAV just doesn’t care about this anymore.

"extremely low standards"

Not Verified | On my recent trip to Iran, I used Turkish Airlines due to great past experiences only to get disappointed in extremely low Ataturk Airport standards. Maybe I was expecting too much after 5 years of experiencing USA airports! First exposure getting off the plane and entering the airport was the humid, nasty air quality in the terminal which was not even close to be called “conditioned”! I was sweating for the entire 4 hours of layover time. Being prepared to be in the Middle East and deal with low standards, I tried to connect to internet to get myself busy and forget about the heat. But not so easy, right? The airport’s so called “free” WiFi was only for 2 hours and I had to turn on my cell phone service to get a text message to actually activate it! I mean, really! Decided to go to the bathroom to dab sweat off of my face! After entering to the disgusting and uncleaned bathrooms and washing my face, I came across empty paper towel tray. Gave the airport staff the benefit of the doubt and tried a couple more bathrooms just to find the reality! How hard is it to have paper towel in the bathrooms? At this point I was frustrated enough to go straight to the departure gate and wait for my flight home. You would think this part is easy, right? Well, nope! There were around 150 people and seating area had like 50 people capacity and I enjoyed the next 2 hours on the cold airport floor before my next flight! Conclusion? God bless the USA, the lush life and the ocean of amenities we have and enjoy every day.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"cleanliness, this is where it really suffers"

(Romania)

Not Verified | I've transited this airport probably 5 times now, and always I've tried to be undertanding as there's an immense flow of people going through it. It's probably not the best layout, quite easy to get lost in and some corridors are unbelievably narrow (especially around the praying area, which has one or two gates next to it). There could be a few more chairs in some airy parts that currently go unused. But in cleanliness, this is where it really suffers. Carpet flooring always smells bad and retains a lot of litter. Toilets - I think you can find cleaner Dixie/Toi-toi at music festivals, and even worse - the ones you would hope to be better, at the outskirts of the terminal, are fenced off by the most probably lazy cleaning staff, that sometimes just stand around enjoying not having to do their job. Really, Turkey, this level of treating passengers is disappointing.

"not really efficient"

Trip Verified | I travel to and from this airport quite often. Sometimes you get lucky, there are no delays and you get to land without flying around the airport for half an hour. This was the case for me this time. However, it's not over once you land. It takes around 20 minutes for the plane to park, and even though it was a packed A330-300 we had to take a bus from the plane. Then I legitimately had to walk for 20 minutes for passport control which doesn't take long if you have a fast track pass. Then another 10 minutes to arrive to baggage carousel. It wasn't really busy when I landed, so I didn't wait that long to get my baggage. There is free WiFi in the airport which actually works fine. Parking isn't that expensive and pretty close to the terminals. There is a subway station underneath the airport as well. Here's the problem with this airport: It's not that small, but not really efficient either. It's obvious that it wasn't initially designed to handle what it handles today. That's why you end up taking a bus from the plane and walk for 30 minutes afterwards. I cannot wait for the new airport.