Istanbul Airport

"staff are extremely rude"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | The staff are extremely rude and no one has an idea what they are doing. For half an hour I was searching for the fast track and no one could tell me where is it. The passport control police were watching a football match on his phone and let me wait for his match. The luggage arrived after one hour of waiting.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"good location for transit"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Airport is very big but easy to find where you want to go. Little bit expensive restaurants. Resting seats are so useful for the people who have time for flight. It is modern and have a good location for transit
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Passport control was a breeze"

Trip Verified | It was honestly really good. I had an issue with my Emirati visa for returning home because my UAE visa was not showing in their system so I was told to go the supervisor who apologised for the inconvenience and wished me a safe trip. Passport control was a breeze and they had free buggy services which I recommend you take. I know Turkish somewhat so perhaps that improved my experience but everything was on time no delay. I especially loved the food court and there are like 4 of them a bit overpriced but airports always are but the staff was super friendly. I even got away with 2kgs of extra baggage can’t really ask for more it’s a bit behind terminal 3 (DXB) but way better than terminal 2 and 1 (DXB)

"Facilities are marvellous"

(Pakistan)

Not Verified | It's so strange people have a negative impression of the new Istanbul airport. I have been here twice since July 2019. Facilities are marvellous. Immigration and security process is very smooth and takes far less time than any other international airport. The seating at every gate is excellent. If you have a long stay at the airport, you can take rest on easy chairs. Only improvement areas are; WiFi facility and English speaking staff. Better would be to have a minimum transit time of 2 hours. It's a big airport so it takes some time to arrive at designated gates.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Shockingly rude staff"

Not Verified | Shockingly rude staff and huge airport - which is an absolute nightmare for transitting through the airport for a connection flight. I missed my flight due to my flight not even showing up on the screen! This set off a chain reaction of interaction with airport and airline staff that ranges from completely indifferent to downright rude and aggressive. The information points are completely useless - with staff sitting around on their phones, hardly bothering to look up at you as you approach them. The wifi situation is horrendous. Forget getting the free airport wifi if you don't have a local SIM. The only restaurant with any wifi (bad wifi at that) is burger restaurant on the lower level. Signs aren't clear, and the toilet placement/situation is confusing. The only pro is that the commercial shopping area is decent, so you can throw money into the companies granted concessions there. Avoid.

"He demanded a $10 tip"

Trip Verified | The guy who suppose to pick up invalid passenger did not show at all, we had to ask different guy with a service cart. He demanded a $10 tip for getting my friend to her connecting flight.

"such bad airport"

Trip Verified | Never experienced such bad airport. Start already from the runway as the plane has to take a detour of approx 40min before reaching the gate but guess TK instructed the flight deck to switch off ADS as soon as they hit the ground so it looks Turkish is always on time. The whole airport is so bad if you get gate at the end you have to walk for another 30min until you reach the security then all the way back. Sure they have some short connections place but still. Shopping sure looks like Dubai mall but finding a place to eat impossible. Not worth buying anything as you will find it cheaper outside. And just the same brands as everywhere else. Turkey has so many things to offer but just the same French/Italian brands. Staff, well okay I would say. Could be worse. It’s supposed to be brand new but so many small holes and things missing it already looks like an old airport. Imagine 5 years later. Avoid to all cost! Even DXB will feel like heaven to this with remote stand.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"We were totally disappointed"

(Bangladesh)

Not Verified | I had to spend more than one hour for passing the airport to enter Istanbul. The immigration police members were not helpful at all. They dont know english though its an International airport. They unnecessarily showed me from one desk to another desk for a simple work. Me, my wife and my child walked much for getting the right desk. We were totally disappointed. Airport authority should take necessary action to improve the situation as it is going to be one of the biggest airport in the world.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"too risky with connection flights"

Trip Verified | The airport is simply too big. You have to walk far too long and the expected consequence is missed transfers - I had a connection flight and my first flight from London was delayed for 40 minutes. I would still have caught my flight at another airport, but it was impossible in Istanbul. I had to spend another 120 euros for staying the night at the airport hotel as Turkish Airlines refused to provide accommodation, saying my next flight has to be at least 12 hours ahead. Mine was 11 hours. In the old airport, this was eight hours but probably because so many people miss their connection flights, the Turkish Airlines extended this to 12 hours for the new airport. I will avoid this airport in the future and the Turkish Airlines as well - they're too risky with connection flights.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"worst airport in the world"

Trip Verified | Worst airport I’ve been. If you have a connecting flight pray that you can be at the gate on time as the distances between gates are huge! Do not try to connect with their wifi. Impossible if you have a SIM card device, even more impossible if you don’t. I was flying to London, and I had to pass 4 different security checks for non-sense reasons! Rude staff, I had my ticket on my Wallet app, and the lady at the check she insisted to print one for me. This should be named worst airport in the world. It seems like Mr Erdogan, even if you have the money, you need to have the mind to use them properly.