Istanbul Airport

"This is a fine airport"

Not Verified | Architecturally interesting with light, airy spaces, very good shopping if you're in the mood, clean public areas and restrooms, and a huge variety of dining choices. There was even a Shake Shack there, which I couldn't believe. This is a fine airport, much better than what we have in the US, and I have to wonder what it is that makes our airports inferior to that of our European counterparts. Money? Lack of interest? Who knows, but I'd give Istanbul 4-5 stars.
Date VisitJune 2022

"airport merits its 5 Star rating"

Trip Verified | Arrived on 5/12/2022 at IST and departed on 5/21/2022. This gleaming bright airport merits its 5 Star rating that is prominently displayed in the concourse. On arrival, there was a long walk to passport control. The lighting and signs directing passengers are very clear. The baggage claim area is massive and resembles that of LAS airport. No wait for our luggage as they were already on the carousel. It took no more than 10 minutes to get through passport control. Departed on 5/21/2022. There is heavy security screening. On entering the terminal, one has to pass the luggage through scanners before proceeding to check in counters. IST has a special entrance for Business Class and Star Alliance Gold passengers. Another security check followed before proceeding to check our bags and proceeding to the Business Lounge. Directions were easy to follow to the lounge. The concourse is brightly lit and there are shops from various designer labels throughout. At the departure gate, there is another security check i.e. handheld baggage is inspected and body is hand scanned.

"worst airport experience"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | The worst airport experience I’ve had. Approaching staff to ask for help, I received a very short and unhelpful answer. I finally had help from a police officer who was stationed outside the airport door, when i realised i couldn’t go back in, he explained how to get to where i wanted. Plus i got scammed by the Global Exchange in the airport. I saw the passport control officer going over people’s passport with magnifying glasses - don't they have machines for that? And they provide only 1hr of free wifi? I’m never traveling through that airport again.
Date VisitMay 2022

"WiFi is only free for limited time"

Trip Verified | The airport is brand new and huge. The facilities are great in general but with a few improvement points. There are not enough water dispensers. I only spotted 1 in the departure hall (and no sign for it, you need to find it with your sharp eyes) and not near gates, which means you have to buy bottle water from the airport stores. Unlike HKG where there are multiple security checkpoints throughout the concourses for transit passengers, there is only one in Istanbul Airport (right under the departure hall) so transit passengers come to the main hall and go through duty free shops before you can board your next flight even it's next to your previous one. The transit security queue is long even in the early morning 5-6AM and the security staff are not friendly. WiFi is only free for limited time which is unfriendly to passengers with long transit.
Date VisitApril 2022

"I was made to walk a distance without much assistance"

Trip Verified | I am female of age 84 years with hearing impaired and limited mobility. On arrival from India to Istanbul airport I was not provided with wheelchair at the airplane gate. I was made to walk a distance without much assistance. After changing two carts and twice with wheelchair I reached my gate D3 after nearly two hours. Got exhausted. Very bad experience at Istanbul airport.
Date VisitMay 2022

"they must look into passengers needs"

Trip Verified | Not enough seats for waiting passengers. Food at food courts are expensive for average income passengers. Nice lay out, but not as nice airport to gain top 5 in the world — they must look into passengers needs.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Food in the airport is expensive"

Trip Verified | During transit, you will find a Burger King and a Simit Sarayi. If you got out of the airport , did some sightseeing and entered the airport again, so this is Departures, you will find lot of posh stores and a flute player in the middle. If you want food, you have to go to the Food court on the upper floor where you will find Carl's Jnr, Popeye's, Subways and a pasta place. Food in the airport is expensive! I had a Chicken burger meal and chicken strips and the bill came to £18 at Carl's Jnr. I would advise you to find the Turkish restaurants on the ground floor which are opposite the Yotel airport hotel. Here, you can have local Turkish food and doner kebap as well. 2 x small lamb doner kebaps & chips cost me £17 while rice and meatball curry cost me £8. WiFi is also very restrictive. You have to scan your passport and use the generated code to login to WIFI or get a text (if roaming is enabled on your phone ) and it only lasts an hour.
Date VisitApril 2022

"confusing, poorly laid out"

Trip Verified | I have never found an airport as confusing, poorly laid out and with no information desks as IST. The signage is awful. I tried following the signs to Turkish Business lounge, but it is almost impossible. You think you are heading in the correct direction because every so often you see a sign with a very small logo arrow pointing you one way, but then the signs stop. Staff were rude when I asked where the lounge was. All I got out of them was vague and hand signals.
Date VisitApril 2022

"big airport but very inconvenient"

Trip Verified | They have a big airport but very inconvenient. Take ages to pass through gates Too less gate for lots of passengers. No one control and so many people cut into queues. Between gates to exit is also too far. Staff can’t speak English and hard to ask for a help
Date VisitMarch 2022

"Worst Experience ever"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | I had the misfortune of traveling through Istanbul to Dammam with Turkish Airlines. The airline customer care and visa information centers do not speak English and do not bother to try and assist passengers. They were asking for vaccination records through Sehaty App, which we do not use to show our vaccination records, we use Tawakalna. The Turkish airlines staff did not allow us to board the flight in spite of showing them printed copies of Health certificate clearly stating the vaccination records as well as our residency permit for Saudi Arabia. And unfortunately we could not open neither Sehaty or Tawakalna App. There were Turkish passengers who tried to explain the situation to the airline staff ... but their reasoning fell on deaf ears. The visa information counter staff asked me in Turkish to apply evisa online in spite of me explaining that I am on my way to Dammam and I have just arrived from Dalaman. Absolutely no understanding of what I was trying to explain. So I was forced to apply for evisa after paying $48 (Scam). The airport staff who are well dressed with suit and neckties, when you ask them a question in English, they give you a blank look and try to ignore and walk away. I had a horrific experience and I am expressing my disgust and informing passengers. This is my second time I have missed my flight because of their ignorance and unsuitable staff. They need a lot of training and changes to handle such a big airport. I will never use the Istanbul Airport or the Turkish Airlines ever again. Worst Experience ever.
Date VisitJanuary 2022