Islay Airport

"is extraordinarily easy to use"

Trip Verified | I flew into this airport on Islay island from Glasgow on a Loganair flight in the morning and returned almost a week later. This is a rural airport, close by the sea, and is extraordinarily easy to use. The SAAB 340 aircraft was parked close to the small terminal building - we picked up our bags that had been unloaded on the tarmac and walked in. The walls were decorated with posters of the many distilleries for which Islay is justly famed. There were also individual displays of whisky bottles and other items from these distilleries. A small cafe provided a good range of snacks and also some souvenirs for last moment purchases. There were ample spaces to sit. A short conveyor belt brought in checked luggage quickly. Across the check in counters are kiosks for the local car hires. I had a car to be picked up. The agent had all the paperwork ready. The car was parked just outside. I was out of the airport grounds, driving on the left, in less than 10 minutes after landing. On my departure, I parked my rental car across the terminal building and slipped the keys into a slot in the kiosk. The check in counters were staffed by Logan Air personnel in their uniforms that sported the easily recognized tartan plaids. Security check was very thorough, including patting. The waiting area after security check had a rest room and was enclosed by glass which offered panoramic views. The aircraft was just outside and we walked to to it. It was a very relaxed experience with a high degree of friendliness and efficiency. The airport is situated midway between the island's two larger communities - Bowmore and Port Ellen.
Date VisitJune 2019