Islamabad Airport

"The staff just don't care"

Trip Verified | It was an awful experience. When we first landed in Islamabad we went through to the arrivals section which in comparison to the old airport is alot better. We had gone through security despite there being around 9 separate desks but only 2 being open at 1 time. We had our young daughter with us who had a long flight which didn't help. When we got through we went down to the baggage reclaim area and picked up our suitcases. There are no signs to tell you where to pick up prams and after all the passengers had left we had someone come up to us and say prams are down there nearly an hour after we had been waiting. On our way back there were 2 separate security sections which is stupid for what they are doing one after and one before check in. We had 0.75 kg extra which we were made to take out and put into hand luggage despite me pleading to leave this as it would be difficult to travel with my daughter. He insisted it had to come out and had to give it to my family outside and go through this gazillion security screenings. I had taken a vase through security who began questioning me over it as they said it was crystal. In the end they found it was glass so allowed me to take it through. We came to the airport 2 hours and 50 minutes before our flight and managed to get through this whole debacle only leaving us 20 minutes to get to the gate! The immigration lines were huge and we had joked with the immigration officer that 'they keep putting flights at the same time' Again only 2 desks open of over 10. The staff just don't care. They want money from you for nothing so keep you wallets sealed and you'll face the issue I faced but if you pay them then you'll get through. I won't give them a single penny of my hard earned money for their ill gotten gains. I can only summarise by saying if I had no family in Pakistan I would never go back to this country. Honestly I feel ashamed to call myself a Pakistani and be linked to the country and the people of the airport. Just because they have a new clean airport doesn't mean the people have changed.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Worst service I have ever seen"

Trip Verified | Worst service I have ever seen in my entire life! Had to wait for 3hrs at the carousel for my baggage to arrive (I'm told workers were slacking off) and didn't see my bags until a senior officer had come to get the baggage moving! Unfriendly staff who don't even wish to communicate with passengers unless you incorrectly use an aircrew term where they are most happy to correct you and then snigger about it and then once again act like you're non-existent. Well, at least that informed me that they are not deaf but clearly ignoring me! Porters in uniform are helpful and kindly directed me too. Beware of Taxi drivers and ununiformed porters; my baggage was forcibly snatched by one these to 'help' me to the domestic flight departures.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Massive improvement"

Trip Verified | Massive improvement in airport and staff. Very clean, public facilities are well maintained. Staff are a bit friendlier now and fewer queues on departure and arrival security/immigration clearance due to having extra staff on counters. Just need a few more shops in the terminal.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"the most impressive airport in Pakistan"

Trip Verified | The new Islamabad International Airport is such an improvement over the previous airport it’s like making a jump from the 19th to 21st centuries. A very impressive and modern design of steel and glass, though a bit limited (only four in totals) of the shopping and eating options are after the security check. Free WiFi is available and the airport is easy to navigate. Waiting for my luggage to arrive took only about 10 minutes. The 2nd security check was as usual overzealous which is the norm for Pakistani airports, though the security guards were friendly and good natured. But without a doubt the new Islamabad International Airport is far and away the most impressive airport in Pakistan surpassing Lahore and Karachi.
Date VisitApril 2019

"maybe I caught them on a good day"

Not Verified | Amazing experience throughout from arriving at the airport to boarding plane. Nice big new airport with no congestion on the approach. On arrival, the staff at the gate briefly checked the ticket without delay and proceeded to scanning. Effortless bags scanning with one query on an item in the bag which was resolved without any drama. Check in was quick, staff were shockingly polite (from previous experiences). We were slightly over the limit as always, the check in staff did not make a deal of it and put it through. Facilities in the airport while waiting are much better than the old airport but perhaps not upto the standard of some other major airports but no complaints. I particularly liked the fact you can see your family outside all the way to check in area due to vast glass walls. To sum it up, it seemed like the people I dealt with have had personality transplant to get rid of the old airport arrogant/rude/corrupt/lazy behaviours. I have seen other bad reviews for this airport so maybe I caught them on a good day. I had no complaints at all. Hope they keep it up. Wish them all the best! About time, Pakistani people are treated with some respect.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"a huge improvement on the old one"

Trip Verified | The New Islamabad Airport is a huge improvement on the old one. From disembarking the aircraft through to passport control and finally collecting my luggage took less than 45 minutes. The staff at the airport were polite and courteous. The airport building is bright and clean.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"much easier than the old airport"

Not Verified | I think that the new Islamabad airport is absolutely amazing and much easier than the old airport was. The security and immigration is faster than I thought. During my experience the staff were polite and did our check in fast. The boarding was fast, since the staff would just look at your boarding pass and let you board so that the plane departs on time. Another reason why I like this airport is that the car park is quite big and spacious.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"staff service has improved a lot"

Trip Verified | Great service, nice clean and beautifully built, staff service has improved a lot. It is amazing to see such a good standard of service in Pakistan, no one asked for a bribe which used to happen a few years ago. Well mannered airport staff, a great experience.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"better than the previous airport"

Not Verified | New airport is very far away from the city area. Very time consuming to reach there. Parking is huge. Drop lane is good. No long queues. Cleanliness was an issue as washrooms very dirty. Only a few restaurants. Waiting lounge was too small to accommodate 2 flights. Overall better than the previous airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Much better than previous visits"

Trip Verified | Much better than previous visits. Quick security pass, Quick customs, quick narcotics control. At the boarding counter we were received with a smile. Our luggage was 2 kg less and cabin was bit more so we were requested to shift it to our booked pieces. Waiting area was a big surprise, they have Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts and few other nice shops. (Don't use CIP lounge, it is only nice seating, nothing else). Terminal buses are Cobus finally. Overall it is better then before.
Date VisitFebruary 2018