Ireland West Knock Airport

"food selection is the worst I have seen"

Trip Verified | This is the second time I have used Knock. It is a bit out of the way and coach connections are not very good. But the timings of flights suited me better than the ones on offer to Shannon or Dublin so I used Knock. My flight yesterday was the last time ever. They do charge a departure tax of 10 euro which I had no idea about until I got there. Annoying but you can put up with this. This time I had to spend three hours in the departure lounge as coaches were either arriving too early or too late to catch flight. Never mind I thought I can relax. They are doing repair work in the departure lounge which is minute. The noise was horrendous. Walls were being knocked down, sawing, hammering etc. All in a small area and three groups of workers spread around the room. All wearing ear protection so they were really enjoying themselves making as much noise as they could it seemed. I asked if there was anywhere quiet we could sit and a staff member told me "we have to put up with this all day. Try the bar". The bar a small area in one corner. So not much help there. I have tried to find who to complain to but no one seems interested. My point is my flight was the last one of the day: 19.25. So they had many hours when work could be done to not inconvenience travellers. It is a very small area where everyone sits. The food selection is the worst I have seen so all in all a miserable three hours. Never again I have two other airports to use both have been good in the past. Passengers have a choice and my choice is never to use Knock again. I warn anyone else to think again. Staff seem fed up and Ireland has such a brilliant reputation for their hospitality it is a great shame.
Date VisitApril 2019

"£70 to leave an airport"

Not Verified | Terrible sneaky fee sprung on us at the end. Would never have dreamt of checking if I had to pay to leave an airport. Like other reviewers, I expect to pay everything upfront when I book, and it's not just a couple of quid either, it's £10 per person, which adds up to a very hefty fee if there's a few of you. There were 7 of us, £70 to leave an airport! We're backpackers and we travel on a budget, sneaky, sly fees like this just aren't what we expect. Bus stop is also woefully inadequate in rainy weather. Based on those two things, would not use this airport again and would advise others not too.
Date VisitApril 2019

"will avoid flying from Knock again"

Trip Verified | I was not expecting that I would be forced to pay extra fees at the airport. Like any other airport I used so far, the ticket included all the charges. This was a nasty suprise, should not be allowed - any airport fees should be part of airport taxes and included in the overall price of flight. Otherwise you are being misled about the flight cost, in my case given we were a family of 5 an additional 50 euros could have meant we decided to fly from Dublin instead. In principal I find this practice very dishonest and will avoid flying from Knock again if for no other reason but not to support sneakiness and dishonesty.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"a very unpleasant time"

Not Verified | Arrived on Windy Wednesday (19th Sept) and am one of your bus travellers. My experience of the bus shelter is always a cold piercing wind. One has just got to look where it is located within the airport grounds. The construction of glass panels with surround umpteen gaps (like surround sound of howling and whistling) makes for a very unpleasant time! In particular on Windy Wednesday we had to wait a long time because our bus had been held up because of a fallen tree. We were frozen but had to remain there in case the delayed bus arrived. Also, nobody came out to see if we were okay. So why isn't the money we pay to get out of Knock used to redesign the shelter?!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"crowded and dirty"

Not Verified | Airport crowded and dirty and the compulsory fee of €10 made it feel a rip-off. Time to get rid of it and get up to date as with 99% of other airports in Europe.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"a brilliant little airport"

Not Verified | This is a brilliant little airport. I had to travel from Dublin across to Knock, short notice flight back to UK. Staff very friendly and lovely service. Europe car hire people great, it was raining and staff drove us direct to terminal. I don’t mind paying the £10 euro for development purposes. Hopefully in the near future this will be a great connection to Europe from the west. Thank You.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"great little airport"

Not Verified | Great little airport with very little queuing. Flew to Lanzarote and you have to pay a 10 euros development fee which is a great idea to improve the airports facilities. What's 10 euros and no driving to Dublin or Shannon if you live nearby. Security is great as I had a hip replacement with one of those high tech scanners and duty free is good. Can even get bacon, sausages, bread along with the usual perfumes and alcohol drinks. Food is great. You can get a full breakfast in the morning and dinners for the afternoons. Staff are nice, helpful and quiet. Overall, love this airport but does need a covered walkway walking to the plane and but will keep using this airport for its convenience.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Absolute scam"

Not Verified | The ‘airport development’ charge is a complete racket. Essentially holding customers ransom and not letting them go home unless they pay 10 Euro to leave, which isn’t advertised in advance. The charge apparently goes to airport decelopments but considering every customers pays 10 Euro, I cant see where the money goes as the condition of the airport is a disgrace. Absolute scam! Avoid flying from Knock!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"staff are poorly trained"

The development "Tax" at Knock airport is a bad enough issue at this airport but the staff manning it are poorly trained. I paid for the "Development Fee" with a Sterling Credit Card. When I returned to the UK I found that I had been debited in Euros which is then converted at a very poor exchange rate. Most people are, or should be, aware that this is not cost effective. If the merchant outlet is going to do this they have to ask your permission, this was not requested. Financially it is not a big deal but it is still a rip off. Beware the Duty Free Shop, a bottle of Irish Whiskey was virtually twice the price that I paid at Gatwick on the way out.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"staff have no manners"

Ireland West Knock airport is a convenient alterative for people not wishing to do the long commute to Dublin. Convenience maybe but service on the other hand is deplorable and it wasn't a once off. I've experienced it before. Once you leave security and head to food and beverages it's downhill all the way. Food is disgusting but when you arrive in the morning hungry and hoping for a nice breakfast you will be disappointed. Staff have no manners, don't want to be asked for anything or disturbed. The whole food area are needs a good deep clean. As for duty free what duty free?
Date VisitNovember 2016