Honolulu Airport

"Absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever been to. I travel constantly for work. It took over two hours and walked miles to get to gate. Then I was bumped because flight was oversold. Absolutely ridiculous.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Needs knocking down and building a new one"

Not Verified | Absolute worst airport ever. Needs knocking down and building a new one. You get out of your taxi etc see a long line which is outside, no idea if you should join it as no staff to ask. Get to the end of the line to find it’s not the right line if you have luggage. Eventually find the right machine get boarding ticket then have to go back to the original line to queue up again for sniffer dog. Then security. Nowhere to sort yourself out when you get through. When you think you are finished another security check for fruit and flowers. Need more and trained staff. Or it needs a big sign to say where to go first. They spend a fortune building hotels and designer shops which has spoiled the place but can’t get a decent airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"most disorganized airport"

Not Verified | The most disorganized airport I've ever flown through. I showed up 2 hours before departure for a domestic flight, which is usually plenty of time. It took over an hour to get through security, and I barely made it to the gate for final boarding. The terminal signs outside are unclear. My flight was departing from terminal 1, gate C1. The signs at the curb all showed "Terminal 1 Gates A & B", as if C gates are located elsewhere. They aren't, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the signs.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"waived her finger in my face"

Trip Verified | TSA in this airport was good. However I did have the most interesting encounter with a little angry cleaning lady in the women’s bathroom. She waived her finger in my face while angrily telling me to flush the toilet before I had even used the bathroom. Rude.

"Disorganised and dirty"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Has been 20 years since my last visit and swear nothing has been updated in that time. Disorganised and dirty, very little signage, very poor food options, closed restrooms, stressful security experience all takes place in dark crowded and dingy spaces. Such a shame as totally does not reflect the amazingly beautiful and friendly Hawaii. Needs complete demo and rebuild sadly.

"a horrible airport"

Not Verified | This is a horrible airport. It is disorganized and lacks signage. The waiting areas lack outlets to charge cell phones. Security is just rude - my guy was quite thrilled when he found my oversized container of sun spray. I won’t be back soon.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"a terrible experience"

Not Verified | Like most reviews mention, the disorganization and overcrowding run rampant at this airport. The Hawaii heat coupled with lines out the door made for a terrible experience. The lack of directional signage pointing us to the rental car return forced us to get back on the freeway and loop around the entire airport again. Of course when we asked a police officer for directions his only response was to follow the signs. But worst of all was the rude and angry TSA agent who yelled at us for no reason. We were traveling with our child and he was adamant that we were hiding something in the stroller. I quote, "Take that carseat off! I know it comes out!" After being told by one agent to take our shoes off, the same angry TSA agent yells at us again that we need to keep them on. When I told him we were getting conflicting information, all he did was throw a fit. Yeah I'm never flying out of this garbage airport again.
Date VisitJune 2019

"needs professional training on how to talk to customers"

Trip Verified | Wiki-wiki shuttle complaint at Honolulu airport. The wiki-wiki shuttle bus driver at this airport was so angry and belligerent towards the passengers after picking us up from the international arrival gate to take us to the luggage area. He picked us up from the gate on May 5, 2019 at around 9:37 am. He was so angry that he yelled at everyone in the bus as he told us to "Move back! This is a full flight, the sooner you move back, the sooner we can do this!" and repeatedly yelled at us with the same statement, only more belligerent and agitated at each time he repeated. He looked as if he was ready to fight the passengers at the front of the shuttle. He was so angry to a point of harassment towards us. I do not understand why he treated the visitors and returning residents to Hawaii like this? There seems to be a fake Aloha being thrown around this airport. This wiki-wiki shuttle driver needs professional training on how to talk to customers. He would not have a job without passengers that arrive and leave from this airport. Arrogant. He was so aggressive and hostile towards the passengers, I am still perplexed what the heck did we do to him?
Date VisitMay 2019

"no directional signage"

Trip Verified | What a disaster. I could not find a single sign in the inter-island terminal to point me towards the mainland/international terminal. When I arrived at the mainland/international terminal I could find no sign telling me if I were in Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. I could not easily locate an arrivals/departure display. Upon my return to the islands I could not find a single sign in the mainland/international terminal to point me towards the inter-island terminal. Departure boards in the mainland/international terminal did not display inter-island flights. Many forking hallways had no directional signage. I nearly missed my connection in both directions.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Disorganised would be the operative word"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | What is there not to enjoy about an 80 minute wait to check in? As a frequent traveller, to lots of airports, this one is pretty bad on the face of it. Disorganised would be the operative word - 4 check in staff for about 200 travellers, 3 of whom were looking after 1 set of travellers for some time. Glacial movement on the queue and when you see people being pulled out of that queue because they are about to miss their flight, then you know the check in isn't going well. Also the first airport I have been asked to step out of one queue for security (with 30 or so others) and then walk about 500m to a completely different security spot downstairs as they were unable to cope with the numbers. Considering so much of Hawaii is about tourism, they certainly aren't wasting money on improving the arrival/departure processes.
Date VisitApril 2019