Honolulu Airport

"tops the worst airports"

Not Verified | Honolulu International Airport tops the worst airports I have ever experienced. After arrival, we had to go through a Covid screening check point which took over 2 hours. The lady at the check point held on to my ID while I had to upload my vaccine card into the Hawaii Safe Travel portal and forgot to give it back to me. Once we passed the secured area I remembered and asked the security guard if I could go back to get my ID. The guard of course didn’t speak English and while I was trying to explain I need to get my ID back from desk #1 which was like 50 feet away, I was yelled at by another security guard to go through the TSA check point again and through the Covid line only to get my ID. I said I don’t have a boarding pass and can’t get through TSA and he said “that’s your problem!” I asked if they could please send someone to get my ID and they said I should go back to delta and ask for a pass to go through TSA which took me in a circle around the airport to get to the Covid screening line. Once at desk #1, the lady who had held my ID, said she had just given it to a security guard and I have to go to their office to get it back. So I had to find where their office was which no one apparently knew where it was, only to get to a desk with two ladies sitting and while I explained my ID should’ve been brought here, they not only didn’t help but started answering phone calls with me still standing behind the desk. I had to ask multiple times for someone to please help me so I could go home and that my husband and dog have been waiting outside for me for hours. I haven’t even mentioned how rude some of the airport staff were and how clueless they were about the airport and how it works. Thai airport system is a disaster. Our experience here was a nightmare and I don’t wish it upon anyone especially after a long flight back home. This needs to get fixed! Travelers shouldn’t be treated like this when they are being charged thousands of dollars to travel and relax. Even LAX operates better and has more knowledgeable and nicer staff.
Date VisitJanuary 2022

"Inefficient and inept"

Not Verified | Inefficient and inept. Waiting in lines like at an amusement park to get to baggage. People controlling the flow are either incompetent or don't care. We had to traverse the line three times while others had a straight shot in--and I'm not referring to the active duty personnel and their families. Several people complained when they started allow other general passengers go through but the persons controlling the flow ignored everyone. Be prepared to wait an hour just to get to baggage.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"never look forward to this place"

Not Verified | Concrete monstrosity and mainly a disappointment. Disorderly queues at check-in but fortunately short waiting times for service. Aged TSA infrastructure and again, weak disorderly queues. Really nothing at all interesting in the gate areas and was pleased to join my flight. Baggage came quickly on my return but was pulled over by a clearly bored CBP agent who did a cursory check and sent us on our way - what a waste of time. Can't avoid unfortunately but never look forward to this place.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"no excuse for the condition of this airport"

Not Verified | There is no excuse for the condition of this airport. The washrooms are filthy and ancient. The seating and waiting areas are poorly designed and filthy. The check-in attendant at WestJet (Priority) was visibly hostile and unhelpful. No one at this airport was helpful or friendly. Hate their jobs and it is no wonder considering the condition of this airport.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"Humid, hot, and lacking air-conditioning"

Not Verified | Humid, hot, and lacking air-conditioning. Line for check-in stretched outside the airport. Honestly, I've been to several third-world countries with better airports than this. It's so bad in fact that I would almost consider skipping flying into Oahu all-together.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"This airport is complete trash"

Not Verified | I had to get a last minute flight to go to the mainland for a funeral. This airport is complete trash. To be fair, maybe I'm in a bad mood, but I would literally rather fly into or out of any disgusting airport in the world. At least they have beer. Its 10 pm and nothing is open. The bathroom smells like a portable toilet on the third day of a rugby tournament on a hot summer day in Georgia. It's so hot and humid in here that my knees are sweating, not the back of my knees, my kneecaps. I live in Hawaii and I'm used to not having air conditioning, but this would be much more tolerable if you could at least get a beer. Next time I leave, I'll see if I can just be a stowaway on a cargo ship. It would be about as comfortable and wouldnt cost $1000. Oh, I forgot to mention a pigeon decided to relieve himself on my shoulder inside the airport. Keep up the good work, guys!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"fly any airline but American"

Not Verified | This airport is pretty small. American Airlines closes their baggage check counter from 7:30-11:30 and apparently you have to call to get this information or it’s your fault for not having the knowledge like this is common practice. All the airport staff and other airline staffs were helpful. When flying out of this airport I beg you please fly any airline but American Airlines. They seem to be the only airline that has baggage check counters closed. No other airline follows this procedure.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"inadequate rental car return signage"

Not Verified | Totally inadequate rental car return signage! I circled the airport for 30 minutes - about 5 times driving through departures area - following rental return signs that go nowhere! Finally had to drive wrong way through a one way street because I could see the Hertz signs far ahead. Delay caused me to be late for my boarding. Extremely dangerous situation caused simply because airport security or construction personnel couldn’t Ensure rental return signs actually get you to the rental return instead of back to the freeway. SHAME ON HONOLULU AIRPORT. You guys totally suck.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"each time, I've been beyond underwhelmed"

Trip Verified | What an armpit. I don't know what else to say! Thankfully, the State of Hawaii appears to be finally, slowly moving to revitalize this ancient relic of air travel, but who knows how long that'll take?! I've flown in or out of Honolulu three times, each time, I've been beyond underwhelmed, and it's legitimately hard for me to even think of anything positive to say about this place (as if you couldn't tell already). To elaborate: The layout had to have designed by a third-grader (and that may even be an insult to third-graders), illogical, seemingly lackadaisical, with unnecessarily long walking with little art work and shops along the way. Oh, and poor signage, as you're approaching and leaving the airport and within the airport. The exterior just looks little better than what I imagine a bombed-out set of the show M*A*S*H would've looked like, but at least there are some neat tropical plants here and there. There is no tram, which makes it horrifyingly handicapped-inaccessible to travel between security, terminals and gates. Few airports I've ever been to seem to have more intentionally curt, unpleasant personnel than Honolulu, whether they're check-in and ticketing agents, TSA, customs and immigration, Starbucks baristas, or bartenders. Security is astonishingly slow and "un-methodically methodical", even having TSA Pre-Check helps, but just a little. The only perk is the people who are wearing leis, and greet you into Hawaii with smiles as the plane is disembarking. Just avoid this place if you possibly can, it is easily avoidable if you're flying from the Americas or Europe, if you know what you're doing, but probably not avoidable if you're flying from Australasia or Asia.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever been to. I travel constantly for work. It took over two hours and walked miles to get to gate. Then I was bumped because flight was oversold. Absolutely ridiculous.