Honolulu Airport

"fly any airline but American"

Not Verified | This airport is pretty small. American Airlines closes their baggage check counter from 7:30-11:30 and apparently you have to call to get this information or it’s your fault for not having the knowledge like this is common practice. All the airport staff and other airline staffs were helpful. When flying out of this airport I beg you please fly any airline but American Airlines. They seem to be the only airline that has baggage check counters closed. No other airline follows this procedure.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"inadequate rental car return signage"

Not Verified | Totally inadequate rental car return signage! I circled the airport for 30 minutes - about 5 times driving through departures area - following rental return signs that go nowhere! Finally had to drive wrong way through a one way street because I could see the Hertz signs far ahead. Delay caused me to be late for my boarding. Extremely dangerous situation caused simply because airport security or construction personnel couldn’t Ensure rental return signs actually get you to the rental return instead of back to the freeway. SHAME ON HONOLULU AIRPORT. You guys totally suck.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"each time, I've been beyond underwhelmed"

Trip Verified | What an armpit. I don't know what else to say! Thankfully, the State of Hawaii appears to be finally, slowly moving to revitalize this ancient relic of air travel, but who knows how long that'll take?! I've flown in or out of Honolulu three times, each time, I've been beyond underwhelmed, and it's legitimately hard for me to even think of anything positive to say about this place (as if you couldn't tell already). To elaborate: The layout had to have designed by a third-grader (and that may even be an insult to third-graders), illogical, seemingly lackadaisical, with unnecessarily long walking with little art work and shops along the way. Oh, and poor signage, as you're approaching and leaving the airport and within the airport. The exterior just looks little better than what I imagine a bombed-out set of the show M*A*S*H would've looked like, but at least there are some neat tropical plants here and there. There is no tram, which makes it horrifyingly handicapped-inaccessible to travel between security, terminals and gates. Few airports I've ever been to seem to have more intentionally curt, unpleasant personnel than Honolulu, whether they're check-in and ticketing agents, TSA, customs and immigration, Starbucks baristas, or bartenders. Security is astonishingly slow and "un-methodically methodical", even having TSA Pre-Check helps, but just a little. The only perk is the people who are wearing leis, and greet you into Hawaii with smiles as the plane is disembarking. Just avoid this place if you possibly can, it is easily avoidable if you're flying from the Americas or Europe, if you know what you're doing, but probably not avoidable if you're flying from Australasia or Asia.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever been to. I travel constantly for work. It took over two hours and walked miles to get to gate. Then I was bumped because flight was oversold. Absolutely ridiculous.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Needs knocking down and building a new one"

Not Verified | Absolute worst airport ever. Needs knocking down and building a new one. You get out of your taxi etc see a long line which is outside, no idea if you should join it as no staff to ask. Get to the end of the line to find it’s not the right line if you have luggage. Eventually find the right machine get boarding ticket then have to go back to the original line to queue up again for sniffer dog. Then security. Nowhere to sort yourself out when you get through. When you think you are finished another security check for fruit and flowers. Need more and trained staff. Or it needs a big sign to say where to go first. They spend a fortune building hotels and designer shops which has spoiled the place but can’t get a decent airport.

"most disorganized airport"

Not Verified | The most disorganized airport I've ever flown through. I showed up 2 hours before departure for a domestic flight, which is usually plenty of time. It took over an hour to get through security, and I barely made it to the gate for final boarding. The terminal signs outside are unclear. My flight was departing from terminal 1, gate C1. The signs at the curb all showed "Terminal 1 Gates A & B", as if C gates are located elsewhere. They aren't, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the signs.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"waived her finger in my face"

Trip Verified | TSA in this airport was good. However I did have the most interesting encounter with a little angry cleaning lady in the women’s bathroom. She waived her finger in my face while angrily telling me to flush the toilet before I had even used the bathroom. Rude.

"Disorganised and dirty"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Has been 20 years since my last visit and swear nothing has been updated in that time. Disorganised and dirty, very little signage, very poor food options, closed restrooms, stressful security experience all takes place in dark crowded and dingy spaces. Such a shame as totally does not reflect the amazingly beautiful and friendly Hawaii. Needs complete demo and rebuild sadly.

"a horrible airport"

Not Verified | This is a horrible airport. It is disorganized and lacks signage. The waiting areas lack outlets to charge cell phones. Security is just rude - my guy was quite thrilled when he found my oversized container of sun spray. I won’t be back soon.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"a terrible experience"

Not Verified | Like most reviews mention, the disorganization and overcrowding run rampant at this airport. The Hawaii heat coupled with lines out the door made for a terrible experience. The lack of directional signage pointing us to the rental car return forced us to get back on the freeway and loop around the entire airport again. Of course when we asked a police officer for directions his only response was to follow the signs. But worst of all was the rude and angry TSA agent who yelled at us for no reason. We were traveling with our child and he was adamant that we were hiding something in the stroller. I quote, "Take that carseat off! I know it comes out!" After being told by one agent to take our shoes off, the same angry TSA agent yells at us again that we need to keep them on. When I told him we were getting conflicting information, all he did was throw a fit. Yeah I'm never flying out of this garbage airport again.
Date VisitJune 2019