Honolulu Airport

"needs professional training on how to talk to customers"

Trip Verified | Wiki-wiki shuttle complaint at Honolulu airport. The wiki-wiki shuttle bus driver at this airport was so angry and belligerent towards the passengers after picking us up from the international arrival gate to take us to the luggage area. He picked us up from the gate on May 5, 2019 at around 9:37 am. He was so angry that he yelled at everyone in the bus as he told us to "Move back! This is a full flight, the sooner you move back, the sooner we can do this!" and repeatedly yelled at us with the same statement, only more belligerent and agitated at each time he repeated. He looked as if he was ready to fight the passengers at the front of the shuttle. He was so angry to a point of harassment towards us. I do not understand why he treated the visitors and returning residents to Hawaii like this? There seems to be a fake Aloha being thrown around this airport. This wiki-wiki shuttle driver needs professional training on how to talk to customers. He would not have a job without passengers that arrive and leave from this airport. Arrogant. He was so aggressive and hostile towards the passengers, I am still perplexed what the heck did we do to him?
Date VisitMay 2019

"no directional signage"

Trip Verified | What a disaster. I could not find a single sign in the inter-island terminal to point me towards the mainland/international terminal. When I arrived at the mainland/international terminal I could find no sign telling me if I were in Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. I could not easily locate an arrivals/departure display. Upon my return to the islands I could not find a single sign in the mainland/international terminal to point me towards the inter-island terminal. Departure boards in the mainland/international terminal did not display inter-island flights. Many forking hallways had no directional signage. I nearly missed my connection in both directions.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Disorganised would be the operative word"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | What is there not to enjoy about an 80 minute wait to check in? As a frequent traveller, to lots of airports, this one is pretty bad on the face of it. Disorganised would be the operative word - 4 check in staff for about 200 travellers, 3 of whom were looking after 1 set of travellers for some time. Glacial movement on the queue and when you see people being pulled out of that queue because they are about to miss their flight, then you know the check in isn't going well. Also the first airport I have been asked to step out of one queue for security (with 30 or so others) and then walk about 500m to a completely different security spot downstairs as they were unable to cope with the numbers. Considering so much of Hawaii is about tourism, they certainly aren't wasting money on improving the arrival/departure processes.
Date VisitApril 2019

"This airport is the pits"

Not Verified | This airport is the pits! My flight doesn't take off for 3 more hours, but there are about 15 of us sitting in a diesel fumed corridor. It would be nice to be able to sit in the gate area where there are restrooms. The restrooms are few and mostly dirty.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"slowly getting better"

Not Verified | Honolulu Airport is slowly getting better. My wife and I have been through this airport many times starting in the early 70's. The check in area is dark with a cement atmosphere. The mens bathroom was absolutely disgusting, very poorly maintained. There are a number of "YES" high end shops. Very few eating places other than a few fast food kiosks in a small food court. There are improvement slowly being made. Security check in was much better this time. We arrived early to check in with Air Canada and that process has much improved. This open concept has its advantages however there are drawback. Overall this is not the worst airport I have been through but it certainly does not rank in my top ten list.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"such a lack of organization"

Not Verified | This was the worst airport for departures ever experienced. Lines went out the door to the sidewalk. We asked one employee inside where the luggage check for first class (HA airlines) was located and she sent us outside to stand in a line for check-in. We had already checked in. The crowds were large. Finally we went back in through another entry door and found the first class baggage check. Now all they do is tag your bags and send you to another line for loading bags. At lest that line was short. Then on to the TSA precheck, again we had to exit the building to stand outside. The ticketing lobby was so small, that they had to have security at PreCheck to let people pass from one side to the other side. Then when the Precheck line was shorter, they would allow you to enter the building to get in line. Rest of the experience was ok. There seems to be a lack of knowledge in at least the employees we talked with, exception HA employees, to be able to guide you anywhere. We heard multiple complaints about this while waiting to figure out where we were really suppose to go. We have never experienced such a lack of organization. The automated walk ways were not functional, bathrooms had inoperable toilets and sinks, enough worked that the wait lines for women were not too bad. Don't think we will ever fly out of Honolulu again.
Date VisitOctober 2018

Honolulu Airport customer review

Not Verified | Crazy security lines. I live here, travel several times per month inter island. I have TSA Pre and Platinum status but even those lines are out the door onto the sidewalk, standing in the rain sometimes. This has been the case all summer. Big change from earlier in the year. No explanation from security or airline personnel who range in demeanour from indifferent to hostile.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"found all staff to be incredibly helpful"

Not Verified | We arrived at Honolulu airport from Aus and departed a few days later for NYC. OK so the airport is crowded but we found all staff to be incredibly helpful and efficient. At no time were we in any doubt as to what to do or where to go. At every turn we were directed by staff to the next stop. On arrival, we went through customs as quickly as we have experienced at any international airport. On leaving the airport our pre arranged shuttle was exactly where we were told it would be and we were on our way in no time. On departure to NYC we once again got through the airport quickly and easily. We had to be bused to our terminal because the airport is undergoing a large upgrade at the moment. If you do all the usual airport things like allow plenty of time, check in online beforehand, declare any food items, etc. you will find your experience at Honolulu airport as pleasant as ours was.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Security was so rude"

Not Verified | Our departure was the worst experience of our time traveling. Security was so rude. We were yelled at and treated like we did something wrong. My grandkids have better manners then they did. I would not go back again. You need to give some of the workers a lesson on how to treat people.
Date VisitApril 2018

"A totally unpleasant experience"

Not Verified | A totally unpleasant experience, hard to tell which is worse, departure or arrival. On departure, long and slow security lines, confusing with three feeding into two so that some people who arrived later got through earlier- unfair. Check-in at Interisland terminal, also used by Hawaiian Air for mainland and international flights, total chaos at midday. On international arrival, herded into "wiki wiki" shuttle bus for short trip to immigration. People with carry-ons and small children forced to stand, Immigration hall too small to handle many overnight flights from Asia which arrive close to each other, causing incredibly long lines. Unlike most airports were luggage goes around carousel making it easy to spot, airport workers remove luggage from carousel making it difficult to find. After finally navigating this travesty, faced with traffic jam of cars, taxis and shuttles trying to pick up passengers. That such a shambolic airport be named after a distinguished gentleman, Senator Daniel Innouye is a crime.
Date VisitMarch 2018