Honolulu Airport

"This is beyond bad service"

Trip Verified | The staff at the airport were by far the worst I have ever experienced. The airline staff made a mistake with my bday so with my ticket could not go through check in after waiting in line. When rushing back from the ticket counter with the right ticket, there were only 10 min left from the final call, so I asked the queuing staff if they could help me, both of them answered with cold voice and poker face: NO! After finally getting to the front of the line by asking favors from 100+ passengers, I told the lady who did my security check that I was terribly late. She’s like: that’s why you need to get here earlier. I explained to her that airplane made a mistake and this was my second time thought the security line. She said with a big smile: looks like not only you were not able to get in the last time, you are not going to get in this time either. You are going to miss your flight. And she said in a way as if she’s super happy that this happened to me. This is beyond bad service, it felt very inhumane. After all, what type of human with basic integrity would do/say things like this to a 6 months pregnant women who’s worried sick.
Date VisitJune 2024

"Took an hour for us to be processed"

Trip Verified | TSA security screening area is in desperate need of improvement. Took an hour for us to be processed. No air conditioning or decent fan system. The single huge fan was pointed directly at agent sitting on his butt, not the dozens of sweltering passengers. Possibly not enough tsa agents. Because “the dog is here,” according to agent, everyone was given precheck. We paid for that convenience, apparently for nothing. Also, we travel through HNL frequently a transferring between mainland and inter island flights is confusing and time consuming. No matter how many times we do it.
Date VisitMarch 2024

"through the security process comfortably"

Not Verified | The seats in the Terminal waiting areas are very comfortable. The security process looked ominous at first, but I was constantly moving and when it came time for the scan, I did not have to take off my belt or shoes and got through the security process comfortably. I wish Portland Airport was like that.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"Do better!"

Trip Verified | My travel plans had me taking a Hawaiian airlines flight from Kona to Honolulu and then a Delta flight from Honolulu to Minneapolis, MN. Honolulu airport is not set up for this kind of travel - which I'm sure is not unique. There are no ways to get from Terminal 1 (Hawaiian airlines exclusively) to Terminal 2 (all other airlines) without walking - outside - for 1/2 a mile. This is done while dragging your checked luggage. Once you get to Terminal 2 you then have to make your way to your airline. Delta, to my bad luck, was another 1/2 mile away. My husband was making this trek on a knee scooter so I - somewhat healthier - was dragging 2 checked bags. In the in-flight magazine there was some mention of a Wiki Shuttle but I saw no evidence of that and believe that was only available once you passed security. All other international airports I've been in have some sort of passenger moving system - train, tram, bus, etc. Invest is something! Once at my gate I had to search for a water fountain. Do you realize how many travelers have water bottles to fill. 1 station in the F concourse is not sufficient when most travelers are boarding a 6+ hour flight. Do better!
Date VisitMarch 2023

"I found this airport very confusing"

Not Verified | I found this airport very confusing. When we got off from the plane, there is no sign for us to take that shuttle, and nobody was available for us to ask. In the airport, no clear signs for where to get food. The only Elevator signs are outside of gates, and nowhere to be found inside. Oh man. Tell me about how annoying it is running around with a child. Plus no free wifi after 45 mins. It is ridiculous.
Date VisitFebruary 2023

"lacking courteous employees"

Not Verified | This airport is old, inefficiently designed, lacking courteous employees (more interested in chatting with each other). Waited in a line 100 ft long OUTSIDE (I know Hawaii is nice, but that tells you that the line was long!) prior to getting inside the terminal to go through security. They are just lucky that people tolerate this in order to be in Hawaii. I would have given less than a 3 if the guy at Starbucks wasn't so great.
Date VisitFebruary 2023

"security personnel are very rude"

Not Verified | The security personnel are very rude and use curse words and threaten you when I was picking up my wife. This isn’t the first time since I live in Honolulu. My friends also have encountered such unprofessional behavior from the security to the point they wish to file a police report for vulgar language directed towards them.
Date VisitNovember 2022

"The security area is pathetic"

Not Verified | By far one of the worst airports I have ever had to endure. All be it there are signs of improvement being made. The security area is pathetic. Very crowded with no AC and total chaos. I described the checkin area as a giant parkade and that still holds true. Very dark, open area. The food court consists of 4 kiosks with the eating are just outside. Birds flying all over the place and eating from the tables left uncleaned. We have been through this airport since the early 70's and have seen it grow over the years. Maybe it is time for a complete refit.
Date VisitNovember 2022

"Be prepared to sleep outside the airport"

Not Verified | Think again before flying into Honolulu If you have a connecting flight that’s over 3-4 hours waiting. Be prepared to sleep outside the airport on concrete while you wait with 50 people around for security to allow back into terminal. Apparently social distancing isn’t a think anymore.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"tops the worst airports"

Not Verified | Honolulu International Airport tops the worst airports I have ever experienced. After arrival, we had to go through a Covid screening check point which took over 2 hours. The lady at the check point held on to my ID while I had to upload my vaccine card into the Hawaii Safe Travel portal and forgot to give it back to me. Once we passed the secured area I remembered and asked the security guard if I could go back to get my ID. The guard of course didn’t speak English and while I was trying to explain I need to get my ID back from desk #1 which was like 50 feet away, I was yelled at by another security guard to go through the TSA check point again and through the Covid line only to get my ID. I said I don’t have a boarding pass and can’t get through TSA and he said “that’s your problem!” I asked if they could please send someone to get my ID and they said I should go back to delta and ask for a pass to go through TSA which took me in a circle around the airport to get to the Covid screening line. Once at desk #1, the lady who had held my ID, said she had just given it to a security guard and I have to go to their office to get it back. So I had to find where their office was which no one apparently knew where it was, only to get to a desk with two ladies sitting and while I explained my ID should’ve been brought here, they not only didn’t help but started answering phone calls with me still standing behind the desk. I had to ask multiple times for someone to please help me so I could go home and that my husband and dog have been waiting outside for me for hours. I haven’t even mentioned how rude some of the airport staff were and how clueless they were about the airport and how it works. Thai airport system is a disaster. Our experience here was a nightmare and I don’t wish it upon anyone especially after a long flight back home. This needs to get fixed! Travelers shouldn’t be treated like this when they are being charged thousands of dollars to travel and relax. Even LAX operates better and has more knowledgeable and nicer staff.
Date VisitJanuary 2022