Hong Kong Airport

"Beautiful, modern airport"

Trip Verified | Beautiful, modern airport with great views of the commanding mountains which feel like they immediately abut the property. Easy access via either motorway, bus, or ferry (via bus) to either Macau or China, as well as the amazing efficient Airport Express train to Kowloon, the harbour, and Wanchai. The selection of shopping isn't nearly as good as Singapore Changi, but still very good by international standards. Airport clean for the most part, though there are some gates where seating could stand to be a little ampler. You can even pay for snacks and drinks using your HK transit card, which I did upon departing from HK! Baggage pickup is efficient, and baggage check-in wasn't too onerous for a budget airline upon departing. Customer service from airline personnel, to the ticket agent who directed me to the Airport Express train, to coffee shop baristas, was courteous and helpful. However, customs and immigration are the least friendly I've ever interacted with in Asia, though they are efficient, and they are not actively hostile like you might expect to find in North America. In all, there's definitely a feeling of taking a step down when flying into Hong Kong from the truly amazing Singapore Changi and even Seoul Incheon, but HK is still heaps above and beyond pretty much any major North American hub. I mean, HK really is still nothing to be ashamed of, and it's amazing the geographic constraints that had to be overcome to build this airport back in the 1990s. I'd easily fly into here again.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"one of the best in the world"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | I love Hong Kong International Airport. It is one of the best international airports in the world. Although Hong Kong is a very crowded city, the airport is big enough for everyone.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Airport was crowded and ill-ventilated"

(Armenia)

Not Verified | Terrible experience. It was a windy chilly morning and I was required to queue outside airport, for passport check, just for entering passenger terminal. Ridiculous. Airport was crowded and ill-ventilated.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"a foreign concept for Hong Kong Airport"

Trip Verified | Simply put, what is the point of having flights which depart before shops and restaurants open? Every other airport in the world has restaurants open before flights depart, how is that a foreign concept for Hong Kong Airport.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"many shop options"

(Philippines)

Not Verified | The best airport. Super clean, many shop options and it's good that they are making it bigger. You can really enjoy a long layover at this airport.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"My fears were unfounded"

Trip Verified | I was somewhat apprehensive transiting through Hong Kong given the news of civil unrest in that city. My fears were unfounded. On the contrary, I found the terminal to be much less crowded than in the past. I spent a little over three hours in the terminal and visited the Bridge lounge where I took a shower and shaved. Clean bathroom though the lighting is very dim. Given that the color palette of the bathroom was dark, it was a challenge to differentiate between the bottles of shampoo, conditioner and bath gel! There are many food choices, both cooked and self service, in the lounge. The free wi-fi worked well. Helpful lounge staff. A silent airport with no announcements except for flight delays - need to keep an eye on the flight display monitors. Sometimes gates are not assigned until closer to departure times. This is a sprawling airport requiring quite a bit of hoofing and my connecting terminal had to be reached by a bus service. Hence, a lot of time to reach your connecting gate. The security check on arriving was smooth and not intrusive. The usual international brand shops are there. I was able to do some last minute shopping for gifts without feeling a rush of shoppers in the stores. The terminal is clean, properly signed, and well-lit. I recommend this airport for transiting on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"I am so grateful to all of the staff"

Trip Verified | Being a clumsy traveller, I left my phone somewhere in the airport when I got off the plane. I initially thought I had left the phone in the plane. As soon as I realised I had lost my phone, I asked the flight attendants from my CX 704 BKK-HK flight to help and they kindly guided me to a booth at the baggage claim area. The gentleman at the booth immediately followed up by going to the plane that I took and searched every aisle in order to find my phone. While I was waiting, his colleague frequently updated me about the search process. I feel bad for making them go through so much as I didn't realise at that instance that my phone was actually in the airport and not in the plane. When I was finally able to track the location of my phone, I got in touch with lost and found via email and phone and they started working on my case immediately and found my phone within 3 hours. I am so grateful to all of the staff (Cathay Pacific flight attendant, baggage claim staff, lost & found staff) for helping me find my phone.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"very convenient for transit passengers"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong airport is very convenient for transit passengers. The signs are clearly marked along the way. Many restaurants open till midnight so it's friendly for overnight transferring passengers.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"the efficiency is really terrible"

Not Verified | This was a bad experience for me. I left Hong Kong on 17th August. I know the situation in Hong Kong but I can't believe that the staff service was terrible. When I got off the bus at terminal 1, there were over thousands of tourists queueing to enter the airport because of the low-efficiency airport staff. They needed to check your boarding pass and passport to allow you to enter the terminal. I waited nearly an hour, the efficiency is really terrible. Afterwards, I was looking for a dining zone but there were not many restaurants. This was a bad experience at Hong Kong Airport. I do not recommend this airport. If you want to dine or go shopping, it's better to go to other places than the airport.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"airport is very efficient"

Trip Verified | The airport is very efficient. It only takes me 20 minutes from the aircraft to the Airport Express station. The immigration staff are not friendly. The Airport Express is wonderful, taking only 24 minutes from the airport to downtown Hong Kong.