Ho Chi Minh City Airport

"require people to go through security"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | The air con is terrible thus it feels quite humid in the terminal. It is ridiculous that when transiting you require people to go through security. Complete waste of time, and unnecessary. The wifi service is absolutely awful. The prices in this airport are rip off prices, and inflated to gauge tourists for money. What is more is that for some bizzare reason all the prices are in US Dollars, and they will only accept US Dollars for small purchases and will not accept credit cards.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport just meeting the bare minimum"

Trip Verified | Immigration and security checks were relatively smooth, although that can't be said for check in (which may vary from airline to airline though). Huge waiting area with plenty of seats just outside the terminal for both arrival and departure but downside is it is completely outdoors so it can get really humid. Decent transport options to and from the airport with taxis & buses to and fro the city centre. One thing that surprised me was the prices of the food and drinks in the airport being quoted in USD instead of Vietnamese dong, and the prices weren't cheap to start with. Overall a sparse airport just meeting the bare minimums for an international airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"the rudest custom officer"

Not Verified | I had encountered the rudest custom officer here in my 30+ years of experience traveling here. While waiting for a Friend to complete his visa on arrival, I was at a waiting area where there are chairs located and people just sitting there waiting for their travel companions. So a custom officer walked up to me and asked what I was doing here. I said waiting for a Friend for his visa on arrival and he says “no waiting here” while a bunch of other people were seated there. So I said, I was waiting there pointing to where a bunch of people sat and he impatiently says “you wait below”. So I went over to grab my bag and he asks “where are you going”. I say “taking my bag” and he rudely says “take it quickly and go”. There was no empathy from this person to another human being’s concern of this travel companion’s status. This will be the last time I’m spending money in this country as a tourist.
Date VisitApril 2019

"nothing good about this airport"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Shambolic. VN airlines. Air bridge extended to within 6 feet of door, then we get a bush for ten minutes. Terminal is 100 feet away. Visa on arrival? We of course had visas, but one of them was incorrect. So after queuing up for 20 mins we were wordlessly ordered to the visa on arrival desk. Then nothing for 20 mins. Then passport wordlessly handed back. If you are getting a visa on arrival get the VIP or fast track service or you will be waiting some time. This is not an easy place to arrive as a tourist and I will not be flying back to Saigon. My fifth arrival in SGN and the last. Although I hear HAN is much better. Anyway, as expected immigration was fine the second time around with our new improved visas. Visas which cost US$50 each and were obtained from the VN visa office (two visits required). We were advised to get SIM cards and taxis organised inside the terminal. Excellent advice. Quick and easy. Our SIM card guy organised the taxi. Please make sure you turn off your home data and check what the guy has done. He fits the SIM card for you, but my wife's phone was set to use our home country SIM for data not the new one. We caught it after ten minutes. Departure. The following could be a VN airlines problem as I've flown other carriers without issue. Huge checkin queue. Online check-in and kiosk check-in not available. We had no baggage. You must allow at least an hour to pass through check-in customs and immigration at SGN. The smoking room is disgusting. In TPE and SIN, two places where smoking is very much frowned on, the smoking rooms are open to the air and not hideous. Last time I was in SIN you could smoke at Harry's Bar, outside. Warm beer is oddly sized cans is for sale in one place for more than the mini-bar in my 5-star hotel. Upstairs there is a bar which will serve lovely cold beer and a G&T for more than any airport I have ever been to. Gate changes without notice. Departure boards not updated. Once again, no air bridge to board the plane. Not enough buses for the passengers. There's really nothing good about this airport at all. How odd that such a fabulous place to be a tourist makes getting there and leaving such a pain.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"no priority lane to be found"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | The amount of people crammed inside of this airport is just dazzling. The immigration lines on arrival were particularly slow, as the line stopped at times for long periods due to people struggling with their paperwork. At one point, the immigration officer went outside his booth for a while to enjoy what seemed to be a very amusing phone call. Definitely not what you want to expect after an 11-hour long haul flight. By the time I cleared immigration, my luggage had already been scooped off the carousel to make room for the next batch. If I have to find something positive to say, at least the air conditioning seemed to work well enough. On my departure morning, the border control and security combined was faster than immigration on arrival. However, I was disappointed to realize that there was no priority lane to be found, despite having Priority Security printed on my boarding pass. Needless to say, be prepared to spend a lot of time standing in lines, and arrive early on departure.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"simple and served its function"

Trip Verified | I arrived in Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International Airport at 3:10pm from Singapore. The airport was simple and served its function. Immigration was fairly fast. Do note that this airport does not have special lanes for residents nor travellers. In other words, all immigration counters are open to use for all passengers. You may also wish to note that the arrival areas are separated into gates which leads to the outside of the airport. In other words, you ought to have your driver pick you up at the correct gate. The pickup area, however, is very crowded so you should stay indoors until your ride has arrived.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"could be improved further"

Trip Verified | The Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh is a fairly decent and modest airport. The boarding gates at the departure, however, can be slightly misleading as it is often not arranged in chronological order. For instance, the boarding gate for my particular flight was changed from 26 to 20 and then on to 16. While it would have been a short walk, the gate changes ended up being a long walk from one end to the other. The airport, however, does have numerous and decent shops for the purchase of souvenirs, though they may be on the pricer side. Similarly, there are numerous eateries located around the departure area of the airport, though they are pricer and tend to prefer payment in USD than in local Dong. Overall, the airport offers decent infrastructure for departure but could be improved further in terms of customer comfort etc.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"plenty of room and seats"

Not Verified | The airport in general is nice and modern and plenty of room and seats around my departure gate. The only shops past security were selling cheap and tacky souvenirs. Went into a toilet cubicle and there's a basket full of dirty/use toilet paper. Arriving after 12 hour flight, I queued for immigration for 20 mins (there were around 15 immigration desks). Suddenly the immigration officer working the desk i'm queueing at decides it's time he takes a break and me and 10 others had to join other lines which took another 15 mins. Upon exiting the airport I'm approached by someone claiming to be a taxi driver who would not stop following me despite me making it clear I wanted him to leave while I had a cigarette. He told me his fare would be 700,000 vnd for a journey 25km away but agreed on 500,000 (I later found out Grab car would've cost me 250,000 vnd). He took me to an unmarked car with a driver who dropped me off without a problem.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"No complaints about this airport"

Not Verified | First visit. Quite a large airport, and fewer pax than expected. Flying Vietnam Airlines, checked in online, and dumping bag was a breeze. Clearing immigration was no problem either. Departures area was not choked with shops as is my home airport, EDI. Into the Orchid lounge which was fine. Cold white wine. No complaints about this airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"poor quality of English spoken"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | Today just like every occasion I have flown in or out of HCMC over the last 10 years I am amazed at the poor quality of English spoken when announcements are made. The English is far from clear and far from correctly spoken, As much as the announcements are not rushed and are at a relaxed pace the pronunciation is not of an acceptable level. We are talking about an International Airport. Why can they not find one person or employ one person with good language skills to make announcements? In the 10 years I have flown in and out of HCMC they announcements have not changed.
Date VisitAugust 2018