Heraklion Airport

"bad customer service"

Not Verified | Women's toilets are not cleaned properly, bins and toilet holders falling off, mop filthy and the floors need a good scrub with bleach. No sanitary products to help in emergency and staff couldn't care less. Don't buy your coffee/sundries in the waiting lounge as female staff look at you with content, bad customer service. Cleaning staff all fed up, I hope the management will make some changes. I am happy to come over and get the broom out and sweep out the cob webs and bring some fun to the grim lounge.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"the worst airport I've visited"

Not Verified | This has to be the worst airport I've visited. Please if you can avoid travelling to or from this airport. Arriving there from Manchester was a calamity. We were on the dreamliner from Manchester so quite a few passengers as you can imagine. Also they had a flight at the same time from Cardiff and one from Sitia. All 3 flights were on the same carousel despite there being 3 more unused ones. Once you're out of the airport you're free. Until you're due to come home. I read bad reviews and ignored them till I experienced it myself. There was a TUI Flight to Cardiff 150 + people and ours to Manchester 200 + people. They dropped us off and then told us nothing. We had to find the check-in desks ourselves. Once we had found them we found that desks 34 and 35 we're for the Cardiff and Manchester flights and the check-in staff were useless. They were way too slow, especially when a family came along. There was no co-ordination with the queues and people were pushing in and people were arguing with each other quite a bit. They then decided to open 36 which then had people behind us now in front of us, they never told anyone. People just guessed. If you're someone who requires special assistance too, don't go here. They have no clue what to do. When you're checked in security is easy but if you're on gates B1 to B7 you've got to then head out through some more passport control into a tiny terminal section with a duty free smaller than a shed and restaurants with horrendous queues. The seating, well what seating? There is hardly enough for everyone, people just sat all over the floor. Floors were dirty and again looked like they hadn't been cleaned whatsoever. We found out that we was gate B6 and then we went for a walk as it was 30 mins before departure and turned out it was gate B7 we boarded at. Again, no communication to passengers we had to figure it out ourselves. Special assistance people went to the front of the queue for the boarding agents to push them away and let everyone go down the stairs and then have them come down last. The ground handlers don't know what they're doing hence why we left 55 minutes late. If you're going to Crete try getting flights to Chania or Sitia first.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"complete disaster"

Not Verified | The chance to miss your flight is very high due to the ridiculous and inefficient check-in procedure. At the check-in counter only your luggage is labelled and weighed. Next step is to join the next long line to have your luggage check for the X-Ray. There are only 2 machines. Traveling in high season means a lot of passengers, a lot of stress, crying children, angry people. The airport staff is working on the well known Greek mean time. Slow, grumpy, arrogant, not interested. Besides this the airport is very dirty (toilets) hot and no chairs. You can check in any time you like but you will probably never leave on time. We had a final call because the gates are closing. Almost took 2.5 hours to check in. Complete disaster this airport. Never again flying to/from this airport.

"What a mess!"

Not Verified | What a mess! Late check-in counter information, unclear where to queue, waiting for 2 hours in line, a dysfunctional x-ray machine causing more delay, no seating, dirty toilets. Very unfriendly airport staff. Abysmal. Have no intention of ever coming back here.

"I have no complaints"

Not Verified | Landed at 15.23 on July 24 went through passport control and collected luggage in about 30min. Departed at 1640 on Aug 7th. Short queue at luggage drop off, straight through security and passport control arrived at gate in 45 min from entering airport. Passport control is after the new duty free complex and all seating appears to be after passport control, so finding a seat and then visiting duty free is impossible. After reading reviews I was dreading this airport but I have no complaints.

"it is slightly better"

Trip Verified | This is my second time at Heraklion Airport. OK it is slightly better, more modern and superficially cleaner than 12 months ago. Check in remains chaotic and crowded even for Business and Gold Card passengers. Still no lounge on domestic or Schengen routes and this remains uncompensated as the airside waiting areas are totally inadequate, toilets hard to find and unpleasant. The food outlets appeared better but the staff were overworked and disinterested. No airport WiFi. We love Crete but this departure by air is horrendous each time. Is Chania any better? I even wonder if departing by ferry might be less stressful! Also crossing a busy road with luggage to the car rental lots is bad; also not disability friendly.

"1000% better than 2017"

Not Verified | Well what can I say? Compared to the last five years, this was almost like being in the 21st century! I'm sure you have read all the others reviews and I agree with them all! However, they have done a lot of work over the winter and whilst I would never say it was great it was 1000% better than 2017! Had to queue outside but once in they had barriers for the queues, what an innovation! The check in get this, takes your baggage like a normal airport. Plenty of body scanners so no queue there either! Airside and another two innovations, air con and toilets that whilst not great were at least were cleanish! Compared to 2017, where seriously considered not coming back again, this was a positive experience. I’m not saying it’s great and is still massively overcrowded, which can’t see getting resolved any time soon. But finally they have listened (even if it took 30 years!) and have done something. Even the air side buses were new. Also the staff seemed much happier and helpful, not surprising having to work in those previous conditions everyone would have a sens of humour bypass.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"a quite terrible airport"

Trip Verified | This is a quite terrible airport. The air in the upper floors is hot and muggy, the toilets are disgusting and it is much too small for the passenger volume. It just feels tight everywhere except the upper floor, where the air is terrible. The only nice thing about this airport ist the view from the departure area to the airfield and the sea.

"things have changed"

Not Verified | This airport in the past has earned the worst ratings of any airport I know. Our happiness level in last seven trips to Crete for our vacation, has almost been destroyed by the absolute mess this airport had become. But, I can report that things have changed. In March/April of this year, they finally got the message, and did something. The check-in area still needs work, for the charter airlines but there appeared to be some improvements. The security check point has been improved, and it was flowing. The departure area has been totally redone! The area has adequate seating. The departure gates are far better than they were. The transport bus was actually at the departure gate before we were, and informative announcements were being made. The food stands have been replaced with decent restaurants. It far better than it was, now if they can just get the check in area. We flew with Aegean this time, and we were done in ten minutes, as for the charter side - God help you.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Staff are extremely unfriendly"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | I was at the airport on the 30th June, 2018. There was no air conditioning, it was very very hot, I was suffocating, I couldn't breathe properly. Moreover, the airport is small, it was not clear where to go, and there were huge lines. Staff are extremely unfriendly - all they could do was laugh, talk back, be very rude to passengers and say that "it was not their problem". So it seems that nothing is their problem. But there was one thing that beat everything else. Since I am an experienced traveller, I am used to taking pictures of everything that can be considered to be poor service and then writing feedback. So certainly I took pictures of the lines. Then one man came to me and ordered me to delete the photos. I said no. He demanded that I delete them or he would call the police. I told him that I would not delete the pictures and that he might call the police - I will wait and talk to them. Then he called his colleague but he never actually called the police - I think this is because he knew he was wrong and had no right to order me to delete the pictures. Since there was no way out and staff were just unreachable I "deleted" the pictures. But the staff did not even know that all deleted pictures on a smartphone can be restored. I attach the pictures. I will contact the airport administration and demand that they take measures. I would not recommend the airport to my worst enemy.
Date VisitJune 2018