Heraklion Airport

"recommend for arrival"

Trip Verified | After reading the reviews on this site, internet, and trade papers. I was surprised at the smooth arrival at the airport. It would appear the airport operates a slotted arrival and departure process. My flight was a delayed arrival and we were in and out of the arrivals process within 15 minutes of the aircraft parking on a remote stand. It would seem all arrivals and departures rely on the system of bussing passengers from the stands to the arrival hall. The toilets were clean and the terminal was also clean and tidy, There baggage was delivered has we walked pass the belt. I would recommend the airport for arrival into Crete
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"old and dirty and miserable"

Not Verified | This airport is the worst I have ever been through! Arrived in a Friday evening and has to take the bus from the plane to the terminal. As with most airports nowadays these buses are overcrowded and border on dangerous when the bus stops with any degree of braking as everyone lunges forward along with their luggage. Into baggage reclaim and it was the most depressing sight. Very old and trted, gray walls, miserable staff and almost 30 minutes waiting for luggage! The return journey was worse! This building is not air conditioned and is very hot. We asked a female member of staff where the Jet2 desk was located but she wasn't interested and kept looking at her mobile phone. We found the departures board and watched and waited for our flight details to show. Said details never arrived! My husband found out where we had to go purely because he overheard another passenger talking about the Jet2 flights. We found a Jet2 rep and we were told to join the queue outside! So we left the building and joined a very long queue to get back inside! Jet2 staff to be fair were very helpful but I think someone should have made an announcement telling their passengers how to check in! So we checked in and went through security. I picked up a plastic tray to put my belongings in and I was immediately yelled at to put it down! I was then handed a tray by a stony faced woman who I suspect has never had a day's fun in her life! Onwards to the gate and the heat was oppressive in there. I went to use the bathroom and I was disgusted! The floors were filthy, there were no toilet seats and the toilets were covered in urine. There was no toilet paper, no hand soap and no towels or hand dryers! Yet the duty free area has recently undergone a multi million Euro facelift! This airport is old and dirty and miserable and I hope I don't ever need to use it again!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Security staff are rude, arrogant"

Trip Verified | Arrival. We could not fault the slick arrival at the Airport, Ok flight was 10 minutes late arriving and we were lucky the aircraft was not parked miles away but on a parking stand near the terminal. We had the luxury of having two sets of stairs. So this meant a faster disembarkation from the aircraft straight on to waiting coaches for the short ride to the terminal. Passport control was swift and so was the baggage collection, in fact from the aircraft coming to a stand still on the parking stand to getting in a Taxi to the hotel it took 20 minutes and that included the other half visiting the toilet, Which she said were clean. We had taken up the offer at Luton of putting our hand luggage in the hold at the gate due to the flight being full and they said it would be priority and the first bags off at the other end. Departure Well, where to start, as we had checked in online we did not need to use the airport check in desks. On the return, we took a gamble and decided to risk taking the hand luggage with us. Security staff are rude, arrogant, I had taken out all my electronic equipment, keys, coins, belt, watch and offered to remove my trainers to pass though the arch as they from experience set off the alarm. But the security officer said there is no need but after walking though and the alarm sounding and having a pat down and re-scanned with the wand and the alarm sounding, again said that it was my trainers and was told it could not be. So they called their senior who agreed with me that it could be the trainers. Which they re scanned. They then said that you could not take a metal key fob on board which was one brought in Crete in the shape of the island. Departure Lounge, yes there are plenty of seats if you can grab one, we discovered a little trick. The airport operates one runway so they may have 5 fights arriving and 5 departing in a 30 minute slot, So if you know from looking at the departure board you will see at the B gates which are the ones where the UK flights are boarded and hang around by the entrance to passport control. When gates are all full the passport control is empty and so are the seats. Unlike most airports the toilets are dirty, disgusting, poorly maintained and a downright disgrace. Also missing apart from loo roll is the check sheet saying that they have been checked hourly, so judging by the state I would think they are checked daily/weekly/monthly? Who knows. Yes we did see cleaners in the departure lounge but they seem to have a game of cleaning the gates when they are trying to board aircraft. The tanoy announcements are inaudible due to the staff shouting into the mic. The number of people we seen going to ask what the tanoy said and people trying to board wrong aircraft was like something from a carry on film. Then while waiting at the bottom of the stairs the staff have a little game of open the door and close the door.

"disgrace to Greece"

Trip Verified | Disgusting, dirty, filthy, unorganised, disgrace to Greece, and public health hazard. That is just the toilets. The Airport is working well over capacity and ruins many a holiday. The toilets were in a disgusting state and judging by the number of complaints and reviews on this and other websites and trade press have not seen a cleaner for at least a year. The airport has allowed the word famous cowboy ground handling outfit Swiss port on the the airport which has meant they are constantly failing to achieve the low (non existent) level of customer service the company has become world famous for. Check in is not even organised chaos it is like something out of a silent movies of the 20s. With desks constantly changing and queues moving to other desks. Security would appear after you go though the check to the actual scanners to be run by TSOs who are down right arrogant and rude and treat traveller like something you find on the bottom of your shoes. Mind you if you have had the so called pleasure of using the toilets you may well have some on them. Then like most airports you have the gauntlet of the duty free shopping mail to walk before you find the only monitor displaying the gate information. Given the operating capacity of the airport, and the 11 departure gates. There is a quick turn round of the gates which the airports world famous ground handling company Swissport seem to be able not to manage. Their staff seem to think to use a tannoy system you need to should into the microphone, by shouting all they do is distort the message they are trying to get over. Yes, you have guest it this leads to chaos which the company are world famous for. When is IATA going to revoke the license to operate? While waiting air side I witnessed departure gate queues been barged though by cleaning staff and they were trying to mop the floor why people were trying to board aircraft. Last night the gate for our EasyJet flight was controlled by someone who claimed to be a supervisor who not concept of how to board an aircraft and that people had paid for speedy boarding, had easyjet plus or young children. However she just managed to grasp that there were wheelchairs. Once though the gate we had the pleasure of the swissports new game of are we boarding or are we not boarding. One staff member at the doors would open and one would close, after 20 minutes they started to board the coach which had pulled up. Then after the aircraft had boarded we had the pleasure of Swissport delivering the wheelchair passengers to the aircraft delaying the already delayed flight further. The scenes last night were more like a carry on movie than a professional airport. I would if I was the Airport General Manager consider a career change as you are not capable of running an airport even a Lego City one, the airport by its non existent management must ruined many peoples holidays, maybe the airport is on a list to be taken over by Manchester Airport Group who take pleasure in running airports into the ground.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"the worst airport terminal"

Not Verified | This has to be the worst airport terminal I have ever used. Nothing works. Toilets are disgusting dirty and flooded with urine. Check in is a nightmare, flew with Tui and had to wait outside for 2 hours as the check in desks were having problems. When we did check in the queue lengths were horrendous, then on top because no belts worked we had to take the to a manual x-ray station. On the plus side they must have spent millions on the duty free as that’s very clean. Departure longe is clean but don’t expect a seat, while you wait. Will I return to it in a hurry, no.

"outdated and disgusting"

Not Verified | If I could describe this airport in 2 words it would be outdated and disgusting. Been on holiday to Crete 3 years now and every experience at this airport has been just a pure nightmare especially when you just want to get home! Checking in your suitcases, let’s just say you are lucky if everything is working! One year the whole system had crashed so everything had to be done by hand causing 2 hour delays, standing out in the heat with no water or anything offered! This year we were told half way into this queue that we would have to move to another one because something wasn’t working! Didn’t really understand what was going on! This caused even more queueing which was not needed. Overall the duty free area since my visit has been updated and looks really modern. Surely they could invest time into updating everything else? This could include making sure there is more seating areas since majority of people were sat on the floor and also they could sort out the toilets that were awful. Absolutely disgusting and not cleaned to a decent hygiene level. Overall I think this airport could be a success more if money was invested in updating more factors of the airport to make these problems as minimal as possible.

"bad customer service"

Not Verified | Women's toilets are not cleaned properly, bins and toilet holders falling off, mop filthy and the floors need a good scrub with bleach. No sanitary products to help in emergency and staff couldn't care less. Don't buy your coffee/sundries in the waiting lounge as female staff look at you with content, bad customer service. Cleaning staff all fed up, I hope the management will make some changes. I am happy to come over and get the broom out and sweep out the cob webs and bring some fun to the grim lounge.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"the worst airport I've visited"

Not Verified | This has to be the worst airport I've visited. Please if you can avoid travelling to or from this airport. Arriving there from Manchester was a calamity. We were on the dreamliner from Manchester so quite a few passengers as you can imagine. Also they had a flight at the same time from Cardiff and one from Sitia. All 3 flights were on the same carousel despite there being 3 more unused ones. Once you're out of the airport you're free. Until you're due to come home. I read bad reviews and ignored them till I experienced it myself. There was a TUI Flight to Cardiff 150 + people and ours to Manchester 200 + people. They dropped us off and then told us nothing. We had to find the check-in desks ourselves. Once we had found them we found that desks 34 and 35 we're for the Cardiff and Manchester flights and the check-in staff were useless. They were way too slow, especially when a family came along. There was no co-ordination with the queues and people were pushing in and people were arguing with each other quite a bit. They then decided to open 36 which then had people behind us now in front of us, they never told anyone. People just guessed. If you're someone who requires special assistance too, don't go here. They have no clue what to do. When you're checked in security is easy but if you're on gates B1 to B7 you've got to then head out through some more passport control into a tiny terminal section with a duty free smaller than a shed and restaurants with horrendous queues. The seating, well what seating? There is hardly enough for everyone, people just sat all over the floor. Floors were dirty and again looked like they hadn't been cleaned whatsoever. We found out that we was gate B6 and then we went for a walk as it was 30 mins before departure and turned out it was gate B7 we boarded at. Again, no communication to passengers we had to figure it out ourselves. Special assistance people went to the front of the queue for the boarding agents to push them away and let everyone go down the stairs and then have them come down last. The ground handlers don't know what they're doing hence why we left 55 minutes late. If you're going to Crete try getting flights to Chania or Sitia first.

"complete disaster"

Not Verified | The chance to miss your flight is very high due to the ridiculous and inefficient check-in procedure. At the check-in counter only your luggage is labelled and weighed. Next step is to join the next long line to have your luggage check for the X-Ray. There are only 2 machines. Traveling in high season means a lot of passengers, a lot of stress, crying children, angry people. The airport staff is working on the well known Greek mean time. Slow, grumpy, arrogant, not interested. Besides this the airport is very dirty (toilets) hot and no chairs. You can check in any time you like but you will probably never leave on time. We had a final call because the gates are closing. Almost took 2.5 hours to check in. Complete disaster this airport. Never again flying to/from this airport.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"What a mess!"

Not Verified | What a mess! Late check-in counter information, unclear where to queue, waiting for 2 hours in line, a dysfunctional x-ray machine causing more delay, no seating, dirty toilets. Very unfriendly airport staff. Abysmal. Have no intention of ever coming back here.
Date VisitAugust 2018