Heraklion Airport

Heraklion Airport customer review

Arriving at Heraklion on 16th June 2013 no problems luggage arrived quickly. Did not use WC. Departure on 3rd July 2013 to Amsterdam (Transavia 872): Clock in the hall gave incorrect time sleeping dog on the floor cat strolling about. Toilets not very clean. As I was early there were no long queues for check-in. I had to take my own suitcases to the security scanner. No long queue at the 2 cabin baggage scanners. The departure lounge: The announcements over the loudspeaker system was practically unintelligible. The ancient monitor (tube) with departure gate information was very dim and hard to read. When my gate number was finally announced gate 2 arriving there was a sign to Lypon on an old monitor with a tube. On the flatscreen monitor nothing. On inquiring why this was I was told "They can't fix it". Other screens also gave wrong destinations at other gates. It was not possible to print my boarding card in advance when using this airport. The catering was acceptable bottled water cost 50 cents and a baguette sandwich 5 Euro. Taxfree shop OK.
Airport Shopping N/A

Heraklion Airport customer review

I frequent this airport twice a year from and to Geneva or Zurich for holidays. The luggage delivery system is very long (I waited more than 1 hour) and the airport is not very clean (toilets). The staff do not speak English very well and the organisation of the departures area could be improved. However once out of the building you forget all that and are amazed of the wonders of the island. It has to be said that the duty free store on the first floor sells very good products at advantageous prices. Because of the fact it is a military airport it is strictly prohibited to take photos outside.
Airport Shopping N/A

Heraklion Airport customer review

Returning to UK on Aug 7 2012. Checked in quickly had to then go to a different queue and wait for about 15 minutes to drop our bags. Unexpectedly was queuing for 1 hour waiting to go airside as only 2 x-ray machines were available. When airside there is no tannoy announcements to call passengers to gates we had to keep running up and down the stairs to check the gate for our flight. We were the last passengers to board because of this poor system that is in place. Would rather fly to Chania then Heraklion in the future.

Heraklion Airport customer review

This airport is disgusting. After having a lovely holiday we arrived at least 4 hours before departure to come home when we arrived there was no signs to point out as to where to check in when we eventually found out we had to queue outside for at least 40 mins. Shelter should be provided. As the line started to move people pushing in arguments between people it was obvious the stress was taking its toll. Check in staff were rude and unhelpful. We had to sprint to the security area with another queue with staff working unbelievably slowly. By that time every one of us were stressed and panicking. We had 10 minutes to get to the gate. Only 2 x-ray machines were open for this huge queue. We eventually got to our flight on time after running to the gate. I will never return to this airport.

(Poland)

The airport was terrifying. For departures you have to line up outside for a good 30 minutes and wait as they let you in slowly since there isn't enough space. After getting the luggage weighed and labelled you have to take it yourself to X-Ray. Then you go to the Passport and Security control which means another large queue of people and for the whole terminal there were only 2 little gates and 3 X-Rays available. Inside the departures after all the controls there are only 2 small old fashion screens. Whenever there was an announcement to be made or a plane delayed the airport workers were running around and shouting to let the passengers know. There was 1 duty free shop which had a large variety of alcohol tobacco but there was no water or any other drinks. Haven't ever seen a worse airport and the facilities.

Heraklion Airport customer review

Inbound from Manchester was good about 40 mins from plane to road most time at baggage carousel. Inbound the queue for tags was 10-15 groups long then queue for x-ray went for about 40-45 groups. Security area was cramped considering the number of people who go through the airport but acceptable. Screen that had all flights contradicted gate screen and noise from nearby plane taking off was loud enough to cover my ears after 50 group long boarding queue. All in all not a top-notch airport but quite good.

Heraklion Airport customer review

One slow queue for check-in another to take your own hold luggage through x-ray! Then queue again to get through passport control and again for security. All this only to discover that the restaurant cannot be accessed from beyond security and it only accepts cash! To add insult to injury the duty free shop sells goods at a significantly higher price than the tourist shops of Chania Old Town. Finally the toilets are dirty with broken and/or missing seats. As a seasoned traveler I'm genuinely shocked to find an airport like this still exists in the developed world.

Heraklion Airport customer review

On arrival I had no problems the airport is not very big so you can't get lost my suitcase came quickly on the baggage belt. Just enough time to go the toilets which are small there were only 2 which is a little poor. On departure I checked in online I queued 15 mins to go through x-ray and get my boarding pass no queue at security so it took only 5 mins. Departure lounge was not very big but enough space for all.

Heraklion Airport customer review

The city is in dire need of a new airport or terminal. It is a so old and shows its age at every angle. I was fortunate enough to fly during off season did not need to deal with the crowds but even then check-in opened up less than an hour before the flight. Toilets are dirty smelly with a claustrophobic feeling to the airport.

Heraklion Airport customer review

Heraklion Airport is appalling. Thank goodness we did not have hold luggage (we live out there) and that we checked in online as the queues were horrible! But despite some other reviews on here the toilets look new and clean. On arrival from Bristol we herded off the plane onto some awful cramped bus and driven at twice the speed of sound to the terminal which wasn't very comfortable as we had to stand up. On return to Heraklion (to fly to Bristol) it was worse. Our easyJet flight was called early but we did not know about this I just happened to go and look at the departure screen where it said in very small letters gate 6 (or something like that) but it didn't say boarding. We queued up at the back with another lady who same as us had paid for speedy boarding. One lady seemed to shout in Greek that speedy boarder's should come and stand by her at the front. She then tore up my boarding pass (no efficient cutter or anything) and then we were told to go and stand outside on the steps. 10 minutes later a bus came for the Gatwick passengers (whose flight was leaving 30 mins after ours!) and then finally 25 minutes later a bus came for us. Awful service at Heraklion! When we got onto the brand new easyJet plane to take us home (very pleased) we sat right at the front so very good legroom. Looking forward to flying into Chania with Monarch from Birmingham next year as Chania is the much better airport!