Helsinki Vantaa Airport

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

What used to be a nice and peaceful airport is getting crowded. Car parks start to fill up. Corridors especially are overcrowded not helped by the shops taking up 25% of the corridor with stuff placed outside the shop. Baggage halls really too small for a mid-size airport like this. At least it's not a long walk to the car and most car parks are within walking distance of the terminal.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

Like Jussi Turunen I found the Security check points staffed by unfriendly unhelpful persons who took the view that the rules and regulations were in place and must be adhered to to the letter. I was told over and over 'the bag must seal' as I was trying to do so - evidently a pot of yoghurt is a potential risk and had to be placed in with my few liquid items. Very frustrating. Aside from that Vantaa is an exceptionally pleasant airport to use with the majority of staff helpful and friendly. I went to the Finnair lounge in the Schengen area (although I was travelling to the UK) and told that the lounge in the nonSchengen area was much nicer although I was welcome to use either. Finnair coaches are just a few steps from the terminal building and like almost everything else in Finland run to schedule.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

Very airy bright and modern airport. Very quiet as well which is most unusual for an airport too. But we did have a rather hard time finding anyone who spoke English when we were trying to arrange a ride to our hotel which I thought was so strange. The ticket agent seemed befuddled and the van driver was totally at a loss. And they had never heard of our hotel which is one of the top hotels in the city. Maybe we Californians talk funny or something!

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

The new hand luggage rules regarding liquids and the new Shengen department seem to have made visiting HEL a bit more complicated. Security personnel seemed very unfriendly and stuck to the rules with almost unbelievable vigour. I had one bottle of mouthwash in its bottle which was 200ml size yet the contents were below half i.e. under 100ml. This was confiscated never the less. They were very unfriendly about it. One could feel they got pleasure out of being as unfriendly as possible. The flight in docked into a gate yet pax were made to get off the back door of a plane and walk into a bus (in -20 C) and then taken on a mysterious ride to get off in the same building! The Shengen area was in chaos on return with several delayed flights. No information board in the unusually nicely furnished smoking area. HEL used to be wonderful to pass through but felt chaotic with unfriendly aloof staff this time.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

I've transferred here twice in the last two weeks and have been impressed by the user friendly layout friendliness of the staff and the clean modern design - great wood block floors. It's one of the few airports that has a sense of identity and individuality and there are some interesting shops and a couple of good places for a snack and a drink apart from the inevitable Starbucks.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

I must agree with the majority of posters here- flying out of Vantaa is a delight. On a recent flight to Stockholm (24 Sept) I had one person ahead of me at check in and security was a breeze as well. The girl who checked me into my flight was possibly the most cheerful agent I've ever dealt with in an airport. The terminal- while small- is modern and immaculate with a good amount of shopping and a great duty free shop as well. An added perk is the smoking lounge with an entire wall of glass overlooking the runways- a rarity even in Europe these days.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

In many respects I find HEL to be the efficient and aesthetically pleasing experience promoted by several other posters here in Skytrax. (I have still yet to see more efficient luggage handling and security arrangements anywhere else.) However the increasing passenger numbers at this airport have started to affect the convenience that I have been taking for granted for the past few years. The international (Schengen) shopping arcade is frequently very crowded. This is a problem because the shopping arcade is the also the primary transfer route especially from the domestic gates to the non-Shengen international gates. Furthermore the number of domestic and international flights arriving at stands away from the terminal has increased requiring slow bus transfers to and from the terminal. Because of these issues the 45 minute minimum transfer time between domestic and international flights is starting to look too short. Finnair (who also sell their flights to domestic destinations under codeshare agreements to BA among others) should adjust their schedule to make the transfers work more reliably at this increasingly popular airport.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

Helsinki Vantaa is a typical Scandinavian airport that reminds me of Oslo Gardermoen : bright quiet a lot of space and very clean. No queue at security friendly staff. Check-in desks for Finnair are numerous but a bit limited for Star Alliance - only 4 desks for all Lufthansa/SAS/Blue1 flights. Bus connections (no train) to the city are easy to find; normal city busses (line 615) are much cheaper than Finnair airport busses: 360 vs 520 Euros. Transfer between domestic and international is easy and quick although Non-Schengen gates are at the far end of the terminal.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

In a world full of stressful and noisy terminals Helsinki Airport is simply wonderful. Apart from being extremely stylish and clean it is at the same time busy and almost serene. This is partly due to the efficiency of the staff who shoot around on small scooters. The shops include some of Finland's finest design names and all duty free.

Helsinki Vantaa Airport customer review

A lovely bright clean airport. So well organised and really friendly. The lady at the shop I went to didn't have the item in stock so she went off to another outlet of the company found it and delivered it with a smile to me back at the departure shops. No customs - even when arriving from a Schengen country - which surprised me a little such a contrast to the USA! It's a great welcome to Finland.