Gold Coast Airport

"airport was small and navigable"

Trip Verified | Landing was easy. The airport was small and navigable. Accessing the 700 line double-decker bus to Broadbeach (the light rail begins in Broadbeach) was easy, though it'd make sense for the Gold Coast Council to extend light rail all the way to the airport. The terminal and restrooms were clean. I'll be honest and say that I've only ever arrived into Gold Coast, never departed (that was from Brisbane), but I had no real qualms with this airport. I do remember it taking a little longer than usual to retrieve my baggage from the carousel, and the WiFi being slow (it is Australia, after all).
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Extremely disappointed"

Not Verified | Extremely disappointed. Staff didn’t put a seal for the liquor I bought. During the transfer security check-in in Malaysia, they didn’t allow me to take it any further. I had to give it up. The staff did scan my ID and boarding pass but they didn’t cover it with the seal - make sure you get it sealed.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"nice viewing windows"

Not Verified | The airport was nice. A couple of Duty-free shops and good food places to eat at, nice viewing windows while your eating and a lot of great decor. Could do with some more shops and possibly some lounges although it's a bit too small.
Date VisitApril 2019

"do not believe that we should be penalised"

Not Verified | On the 23rd of June this year I was picking up my Son and his Wife who had just returned from Sydney. The arrival parking bays at the far northern end of the terminal were completely full, there were cars in front of our vehicle as well, that were not moving. To help the situation my Son and his Wife jumped into the car, they only had one small backpack each so no big suitcases to put in the boot etc (it was literally a few seconds and they were in the car), we had just started to take off and a man in a bright coloured vest ran in front of the car and took a photo of the front of our car (His actions would have held up the traffic behind us). We wound down a window and nicely asked what was going on (with no bad tone of voice whatsoever) he replied with a very rude tone and manner "That will be a $126.00 fine and you will get it in the mail. We said, still calmly "What!, It was so banked up with cars we couldn't do anything else". He once again was extremely rude and said, "Oh yeh was it now". This happened approximately at 1.29 pm. Is this the type of employees that you want to be ambassadors for the Gold Coast? If I was a visitor it certainly would leave a bad taste in my mouth for the Gold Coast! We in no way hindered people being picked up as the arrival bay was still full and no cars were leaving it. We actually helped the situation allowing other cars behind us to come into the arrival area after we left. We do not believe that we should be penalised and pay $126.00 due to an extremely rude parking attendant who picks people at random to fine.
Date VisitJune 2019

"$4 to use a luggage trolley"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Be aware that the airport charges you $4 to use a luggage trolley - what a rip off. Being an international flight, we arrived at the airport with lots of time to spare. However, the check in machines weren't open yet, and when they did, they did not print luggage tags. These we had to get ask airline staff to reprint. Airline staff were generally not helpful. When we approached a counter about the problem, she referred us to the staff who manned the machines. The staff manning the machines just asked us to re-checkin - but there was no option to reprint luggage tags. After being sent on a wild goose chase, someone finally printed the tags for us. As this was a combined domestic, international airport, we had to go through security twice. Thankfully border control was quick as the machines worked. Very small selection of duty free stores, which did not stock local produce. Food places were expensive and generally poor quality. One of the urinals in the male toilet was blocked. There was free Wifi but speed was very slow. You also had to go through a convoluted login process to get connected.
Date VisitMay 2019

"consistently awful service"

Trip Verified | Truly dreadful airport with consistently awful service, especially at security where the team are the least professional of any major airport in Australia. Inside the terminal it’s like going to a cheap mall at Christmas, heaving with people, poor food and shopping choices and a lack of seating. For one of the top tourist spot entry points, everything from the staff at security to the overall experience makes you want to get out as fast as you can. Dreadful.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Very overcrowded"

Not Verified | Chaos is the only word to describe the place. Very overcrowded, limited seating, no gate lounges and masses of uncontrolled humanity. Heaven help if there were ever the need for emergency evacuation! Simply the worst airport design, layout and function I have ever seen in any airport in the world. Avoid at all costs!
Date VisitApril 2019

"overzealous border force personnel"

Not Verified | Worst airport into a major city in Australia. No air bridges, limited seating and food options in the terminal. Not to mention the most overzealous border force personnel in the country. They make you feel like turning back and going to another country.
Date VisitMay 2018

"rudeness is something else"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Pretty basic and old-school terminal - not a lot of shops or food outlets though what there is adequate. Some of the service I encountered left me feeling very glad to be leaving to be honest. Sure the Gold Coast is famous for its laid-back style but rudeness is something else. Firstly - not strictly a comment on the airport itself but do be aware if you plan to use Sky Bus that it replaced the old Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle service and has different/limited hotel stops, none in Southport now. Inexplicably for a tourist-oriented business in an international airport, they don’t take cash sales! Why would I incur extra charges by using my NZ ATM card?! Ironically this means their sales person was well-informed on public transport options. If you’re going to Southport, on a budget and don’t have lots of luggage and/or kids in tow, for just over $5 catch the 777 bus to Broadbeach where (included in the ticket price for up to 3 hours travel), transfer to the G:Link tram, then connect to buses at Southport South station (takes about an hour and a half all up). I found the check-in kiosk assistants particularly unhelpful and unfriendly the day I left. They were all busy chatting amongst themselves, eventually one approached me to assist almost reluctantly. Later, when I approached her colleague (from the same airline, not the one I was flying) for more help, I was told in a sarcastic voice “I work for X, the Y check in is over there” – why, I asked, was your colleague happy to help me earlier in that case? Completely unnecessary condescending attitude from someone who clearly didn’t want to be there that day (I know the feeling!) - if she keeps it up, she may get her wish! The (volunteer, elderly) customer service staff were pretty helpful, when I could get their attention - due to the disinterested airline kiosks assistants, the volunteers were busy helping people check in so weren’t at the customer service desk often! Ridiculously, if you're leaving the country you have to go through two separate security processes. I must admit though, when there was a query about an item in my carry-on luggage, the security staff were understanding, helpful and friendly which made for a positive final impression. I have family on the GC and in Brisbane and in future I’ll seriously consider flying to the much more professional and pleasant Brisbane airport, and if necessary, book the Air Train / G:link tram ticket combo online in advance for $35 to get to the Gold Coast. According to the website that would also take an hour and a half and sure it costs more than the bus/tram option outlined above, but it's one less transfer and frankly would be worth it to avoid Coolangatta airport!
Date VisitJune 2018

"worst experience I've ever encountered"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | As an international transit passenger from Auckland to KL on Air Asia, with an international transit via Gold Coast. I'm well travelled throughout the world, particularly the Asia Pacific region and this would probably be the worst experience I've ever encountered at an airport. It took 40 minutes to go through security and then I was 'selected', asked if I had anything in my pockets I replied that I didn't have any pockets pointing to the side of my pants. The security woman shouted back at me 'I was just asking', then followed with vague instructions on what I was supposed to do and the ridiculous process that was involved. I'm a native English speaker, so I can only empathise for those who aren't. After going through the process, my laptop and carry on bag had not been moved through the security screen. I asked when it was going to be passed through, and once again I was shouted back at that it was coming, asked again after some time and was treated with the same level of contempt. For at least five minutes I was left to watch it on the other side, just waiting for someone to do their job and pass it through. I'm so happy that I'll be returning back to New Zealand through Singapore, and will avoid having to feel like a prisoner when I am simply a passenger going through an international transfer.
Date VisitDecember 2017