Goa Airport

Goa Airport customer review

I have just arrived back from Goa. My wife and friends previously travelled to Goa in 2007 and the processes to get from tarmac to front door were chaotic to say the very least. The return trip from front door to plane was even worse taking at least two hours. Do not be tempted to exchange money at the airport. The rate is approximately 15%-20% less than you will get from local outlets at your destination. Furthermore they charge a commission and then add tax on top. You will be lucky to get 75% of your original amount. They will do the same when you return to the airport for your departure using the excuse that Indian money cannot be exported. Hang onto any rupees as these can be spent in the departure lounge to get water etc. A bottle of water costs 30 rupees (~40p). They will accept £ coins but you will not get change! Rupees are not accepted in the Duty Free Shop. The arrival through immigration and luggage collection was fairly quick this time though hang onto your luggage as porters will try to take it off you and will disappear with it before you can ascertain where your transport is located. On our return trip all hold luggage is scanned and security tabbed. We were fortunate that our check-in desk was located in the Domestic Terminal. The queue outside the entrance to International Departures was 150 ft long with some passengers forced to stand in direct sunlight. Check-in took 5 minutes and we then proceeded to Immigration. The check-in desk should give you a label for each piece of hand luggage. It is important to make sure you complete your name and flight number and then attach it to the bag as it will be checked later. Ensure the departure immigration form is completed correctly as you will be sent to the back of the queue. The queue for the Immigration desk was about 50 feet long but it took at least 90 minutes to reach it. Watch out for local dignitaries with their entourage as they jump the queue! You have to stand and the hall is not air-conditioned so ensure you take a bottle of water with you to the airport. The next blockage is security where all liquids are removed. Apparently you are not allowed to carry any with you so pack everything in the hold luggage. Males and females are separated. The male queue is fairly quick and processing is similar to UK airports. Females have to go behind a screen. Check that the label on your hand luggage has been stamped after it has been X-rayed otherwise you will not be allowed through the departure gate! When I was there only one female security person was in attendance. She disappeared for about 20 minutes (I assume it was her tea break) and queue snaked back beyond the Immigration desks. One other point to note at security is the propensity for staff to search hand luggage at the X-ray machine and this may happen without the owner being aware. We arranged for one of our party to go ahead through security to ensure the bags were not searched without their owners being present. This is especially important for the ladies as they will be behind the screen. I do not believe the staff are dishonest but this is an opportunity for misunderstandings to occur! Our plane was delayed for 40 minutes as some people took nearly 3 hours to progress through Immigration and Security. It was very uncomfortable to stand so long in a hot room full of sweating people. It spoiled our holiday and we will not return until they implement faster and more efficient processes. Many of our fellow passengers had the same opinion. According to the Goa Times tourism accounts for 40% of local government revenue. It is apparent the desire to increase foreign earnings is undermined by inefficient processes. Indeed I would go so far as to describe Goa airport as the most dysfunctional airport I have ever visited. Without any shadow of doubt our recent experience has confirmed the Indian authorities have elevated incompetence and inefficiency into an art form! You have been warned!

Goa Airport customer review

This has to be the worst airport I have ever seen. An absolute shambles. Dirty hot & disgusting. The security staff are unfriendly. Avoid the public toilets if you can they are not the most hygienic leaking pipes filthy toilets no toilet paper and flies. We flew business class and the so called lounge was a joke. It was a drab dark room dressed in 1960 decor. There is no food only a bottle of water or soft drink to be had. The chairs are so worn out that you feel the springs. I was glad to leave after 2hrs in this lounge and airport.

Goa Airport customer review

It would seem things have improved here. There are armed security people at the entrance to the airport and prior to the car parking areas and only passengers can enter the departures area after providing their boarding pass. Visitors can enter with a visitor pass but have to remain in a small waiting area near the glass front of the airport. The staff are friendly and the security only took a couple of minutes. After security it was pretty much the boarding gate as others have said it's a small airport. Be warned there are no walkways to the planes and all connections are made by bus across the airfield. One concern I had was from the customs where there was a large sign advising passengers not to pay bribes if requested and to report any incidences by calling a number. Not the sort of thing I'm used to seeing but at least the authorities are starting to wake up and tackle corruption in India as it is about time someone did so. Anyway staff here were polite and seemed efficient enough. I thought the restroom/toilet facilities were of a good standard and kept clean with attendants on hand.

Goa Airport customer review

This is a tiny airport where there isn't far to go from getting into the terminal building to getting on the plane. Substandard facilities but they seemed to work better than most Indian airports I have been to. Security is pretty lax as my friend was allowed to travel with a lighter after it had been identified. Security leads to the departure lounge which is one large untidy room full of passengers and out of the way were some filthy washroom facilities. You have to walk onto the tarmac to get to the plane so disabled travellers need to be aware of this. When arriving the bags came off quickly (though it was a small flight).

Goa Airport customer review

Travel to Goa twice a year and little changes at Dabolin apart from the number of officials increases each year. Check in and Security takes a minimum of an hour and is usually early in the morning so be prepared and stay cool. Liquids lighters and sharp objects are forbidden in hand luggage as in UK. Dont change any money at the airport going in or out as the rate of exchange is abismal. Keep a couple of hundred rupees for coffee and bottles of water in the airport cafe at 40 pence a lot cheaper than on the plane. Duty free very expensive compared with liquor shops outside in Goa

Goa Airport customer review

Can't disagree with anything above but we keep going back year after year so it can't be that bad. As long as you are prepared for what is to come it's a giggle. The lighter smuggling is a nightmare I've never managed to get one through yet but I know many that have and they used the same hiding places as me. I was told they can't find them in a spectacle case - they found mine but a friend I made there got 2 through and slipped one in my bag. There's always someone in the smoking room with a light cos the ones on the wall rarely work.

Goa Airport customer review

I have been to Goa 3 times previously. Arrival at the airport has improved since then and is much more user friendly. the first time we were sat on the floor of arrivals filling in immigration cards at least these are now done on the plane ready for landing. The airport experience is all part of the holiday giving a pound for help with cases is no problem. After our 1st experience of going to hotel by coach we now use taxis. On return the first occasion we travelled by coach on our to the airport which was a big mistake we waited outside in the direct sun in a lsow moving queue to get baggage checked in. We learnt from this to take a taxi and make sure you left in time to beat the crowds. Having said that we still had to queue for over an hour before anyone turned up to get you through departures it's a slow laborious process! Think it's a challenge to see how many stamps can be put on a boarding pass and dont forget a label on everything you are carrying! The facilities airside are limited so go prepared. Take it as part of your holiday experience and you won't be disappointed!

Goa Airport customer review

I think the airport makes your holiday it is an experience. it is daunting for your first time though but you get an understanding on how Goan people are. Hold on to your luggage when going outside as you will have a number of young boys/men taking them. A £1 coin is accepted if you let them do this but if you dont want to simply say no thankyou and they should leave you. You need to enjoy the experience and take it with a pinch of salt. I can say though the security is mad! It is so hard to get out of the country as well as getting in! And ladies all I say is if you need to use the loo on arrival be prepared to either hand over £1 coin for the loo roll or go all ready prepared. Also upon leaving they are very cleaver in finding hidden lighters/matches so be for warned! There are workers around who have lighters so you can have a cig in departures. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Goa Airport customer review

Dabolim airport is the worst one I have ever been to. Security checks are a nightmare far too many chiefs. I could not wait to get on the plane! But having moaned I will be back there this time next year trying to get out of paradise with a lighter in my bag hopefully to have a quick puff before boarding.

Goa Airport customer review

Having flown through Dublin Paris and Mumbai to get there I was amazed that I met more security in this tiny airport than the other three combined.