Geneva Airport

"Over crowded seating"

Trip Verified | Third world airport. Toilets overflowing with faecle matter. Staff unhelpful. Departing from the French section: no access to decent food or shops despite being able to view them through the glass doors. Over crowded seating downstairs. Have traveled across the world but this relates as one of the poorest. If this is an example of how the Swiss look after their tourists they clearly do not appreciate their business.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"atrocious prices of food and drinks"

Trip Verified | Found GVA to be a functional airport. You can't really fault it for speed. Arriving and departing I was out of the door within 10 mins. I particularly like the free WiFi allover the airport. Access is for 2 hours. GVA does need refurbishment as in some places it is showing it's age. However the place is clean and the transport is right outside the door. The worst thing about GVA airport is the atrocious prices of food and drinks. A bottle of water is 8 USD and a plate of food is 25 USD. By any measure this are perhaps the highest prices in any airport worldwide. I advise to prepare food from home if you're going to be here for sometime.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"did not leave me with a good impression of the Swiss"

Not Verified | Leaving Geneva, I was stopped by a customs agent. I have dual nationality, French/American and have not always had clear indications of which passport to travel with. I fly between Canada, the US and France (generally leaving from Geneva) about every 3 months. I generally use my US passport, under the apparently mistaken impression that you should use the same passport for a trip. I had seen this customs agent answer other passengers questions and then roll her eyes at their stupidity. She looked at my passport and started asking me questions and then said that I should be put in prison. It turns out that I should use my French passport in Europe and US passport in North America, thus changing mid-trip and gave me a lecture about the Schengen space, which Switzerland apparently belongs to although it's not part of the European Union and then repeated that I should probably pay a big fine. I don't mind being corrected and given correct information - I could deal without the eye rolling and the threatening (I'm a 70 year old woman). She certainly did not leave me with a good impression of the Swiss. I must say that this is the first time in my traveling like this (dual nationality) that I have been stopped and threatened with jail.

"Signage is bad"

Trip Verified | Signage is bad. Upon arrival it was difficult to see where the car rental area was. Most airports have pictures that are universally understood to tell you directions. From the baggage carrousel area there was no indication as to where to go. We asked an attendant outside and they directed us to a bus at the end of the airport (5 minute walk). We quickly ran to the end and got on the bus only to realize thankfully before it took off that you actually needed to go back inside to the building and get your keys from the car rental agency for the cars that were located away from the airport. Upon returning our vehicle not only did the GPS have it wrong for the return of the car but we could not even rely on the signage on the exterior of the airport to figure out where we go to return the car. It was only when we stopped an airport worker walking on the side of the road that we were turned around and headed to the opposite end of the airport for the car return. Again it’s just signage really and lack there of. When we finally returned the car in the Parkade and went down to wait for the bus to take us back to the airport we noticed another couple who had accidentally gotten on the bus only to find out that they needed to have gotten their keys at the airport so they too had the same problem only we were fortunate enough to figure it out before taking the ride out to the Parkade. Signage is bad. Needs upgrading.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"No regard to the comfort"

Trip Verified | Geneva Airport only cares to drive their revenues. No regard to the comfort of the passengers. Third world countries offer better quality services.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"In serious need of an upgrade"

Not Verified | Old, outdated, crammed and, in many respects, uncomfortable (e.g. lack of escalators or escalators that frequently don’t work). Not what you’d expect from a major first world capital. In serious need of an upgrade!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"only get 2 hours of free WiFi"

Not Verified | The airport is very clean, the security line seems long but it's treated very efficiently. The signs are clear, however, regarding power outlets, those are hard to get because there are tables with 3 seats and 3 power outlets, but people decide to sleep on them, so save your battery. You only get 2 hours of free WiFi, no way to get more.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"whisked through arrivals in no time"

Trip Verified | I just want to say how good the welcome for disabled people is. I was met at the aircraft by a very helpful man with a wheelchair and was whisked through arrivals in no time. He even found the disabled toilets and allowed time for me to use it before my onward journey, then out to find my onward transport and assistance on to the minibus. Could not have been more helpful and polite. Also a mention for the lovely man at Passport control who welcomed me by name with a big smile while checking my passport. I also used the service in the spring when returning from Switzerland to England and it was equally seamless.

"a national embarrassment"

Trip Verified | This is a national embarrassment for the Swiss. I live in Lausanne and have the misfortune to need to use this airport every few weeks. It is awful, even much worse than Luton and Gatwick, something I thought would never be possible. Where do I start? Baggage takes forever to be delivered, and the delivery information on the screens is entirely fictional. The airport was last revamped in the 60s, and yet this does not stop food being priced at the highest levels I have seen anywhere. It seems to be ineptly managed - literally nothing works as it should. This must count as one of the worst welcomes, and therefore first impressions, in any country in the world. Its a major factor in my move to Zurich, which offers a correctly run airport.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"exceptionally rude"

Not Verified | One of the worst airports I have ever travelled through. At 5.15am the line for security was huge. It is so poorly managed and staff who are supposed to give information are exceptionally rude, unhelpful and inept. They claim it is due to the holidays - well why not put on more staff to cope? It's not like it's a surprise as the whole of France goes on holiday from July to September. It is just a classic example of how bad airport security is. Shocking in a country that has so much wealth that they cannot put some money toward improving their third world shack of an airport. The arrogance, however, is typical of the Swiss.
Date VisitJuly 2019