Funchal Airport

"Their covid-19 testing team do a terrible job"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Their covid-19 testing team do a terrible job. I felt my brain tickled and stabbed. It is sharp, it’s stabbing - I can’t even really describe the feeling. Ended up with an intense taste of blood in my throat. My legs, of their own accord, not controlled by my brain, shoot up, and start kicking, as if I’m flailing, as if I’m in the electric chair. If it’s done correctly, it shouldn’t be excruciatingly painful as it is, in my case on both times I arrived in this airport this summer. I would prefer to be punched in the nose while leaving the aircraft than going through this again. Both my mother and father felt the same. My question is who are the people doing these tests? Be careful.
Date VisitAugust 2020

"a very clean airport"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | It is a very clean airport and very easy to move around. Departures and arrivals are well defined and separate. It is very safe and there are good shopping areas in the departures. My experience at this airport is 40 flights, all without problems at the airport, and the last flight was in January 2020. Nice views from airport, we can see Desertas Islands and the sea, sunrise and sunset.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"security screening was a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Going through security screening was a nightmare. I was told I was an "explosive threat" after having my hands screened twice and producing a positive result twice. They said this can happen to people who have used certain body lotions/creams, medications, touched certain items i.e. flowers. I was then escorted (very indiscreetly) by 2 armed police officers to a separate room where I was searched, my hand luggage searched and I was questioned. After all this I had to go through the whole process again, security, hands screened, positive result, by which time I was very distressed. A terrifying experience for a 62 year old woman - I do understand the need to keep air passengers safe but this screening technology is clearly not efficient or sufficient if it can be triggered by ingredients in creams and lotions. I will never return to Madeira.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"my combination lock numbers had been changed"

Trip Verified | TSA Combination locks changed by baggage handlers at Madeira airport. My cabin cases were put in the hold by easyJet at Bristol Airport, I handed the two cases to easyJet staff just before going up the steps when boarding as they were concerned there was not enough overhead locker space. No problem, I’ve done this many times before. When picking up the hire car at Funchal airport I needed to access the cabin cases only to find my combination lock numbers had been changed. The hire car reps managed to open the one case but the lock on the other had to be broken open. Apparently this is not unusual at Funchal, this was the fifth time they had experienced it. These mindless pranksters should be sacked. A great start to the holiday. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"airport is clean and security is fast"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | I was very excited to land here as this airport is famous around the globe for its risk landings! The infrastrucure per se is very basic, you deplane on the tarmac and then walk to the arrivals, staff were ok, I found people in the Madeira island to be very friendly. Do not come without pre booked stuff as I noticed they inflate the prices for tourists who decided to book on the spot. The airport is clean and security is fast, long lines though. Snacks on the land side much cheaper than air side.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport is a breeze"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | This airport is a breeze either for departures or arrivals. Very clean, medium enough to make it passenger-friendly and with well-sounding announcements for everything, even at the tarmac rooftop, so no one stays on the ground. Easyjet check-in gentleman was very friendly too.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"It is visually depressing"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | The tiles from the terminal building exteriors are falling off and no one does anything about it. It is visually depressing. For the rest, nice, rather clean and comfortable small airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"common sense and helpful staff"

Trip Verified | Just gone through security here and foolishly had a pocket knife in hand luggage (I use the nail file regularly due to a finger injury.) Brought this to the notice of security and they suggested getting an envelope from a 'post present home' service, so it wasn't confiscated as they could have. What a pleasant surprise to see common sense and helpful staff in their own (stressful) environment. Thanks to all Securitas staff who were involved. I can also add here that virtually everyone we have met in Madeira have been helpful and polite. They should consider exporting some of those qualities to other countries. Thankyou again Madeira, we'll see you soon.
Date VisitMay 2019

"very functional"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | This is a nice regional airport, very functional, cleaned, with enough public and seating areas, shops and coffees. Security works fine and staff in general are friendly. It is an airport that doesn't stress you out more than air travelling already naturally does to people. Unfortunately due to specific meteorological conditions in the area it is sometimes difficult to land or take off. Parking prices very expensive too.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"boarding staff were less than professional"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I was abruptly told by a female member of boarding staff at Funchal airport to wait separately from the line because I had hand luggage. However most people had trolleys and were being processed normally. This is not the first time here that a member of the boarding staff were less than professional. I once experienced a huge delay of more than three hours and when given the 10 Euro voucher to eat at the terminal I understandably expressed my disappointment with the situation with: 'better than the voucher was if the plane took off' and was presented by another member of boarding staff at this airport with 'we also would rather be at home by now'.
Date VisitNovember 2018