Fuerteventura Airport

"Very pleasantly surprised by this airport"

Not Verified | Very pleasantly surprised by this airport - especially after our "home" airport of East Midlands. Arrived to find airbridges to the aircraft so no busses or walking across the tarmac, baggage didn't take long and easily found a taxi for the short journey to our hotel. When we departed we checked the bags into a check in area with no one queueing (we were a bit, but only a bit, early) and had a drink outside before going through security. This was a bit confusing - got turned away from one security queue as it was for families - could have been a bit better sign posted. The actual proper security was just behind the check in desks - again, this could have been made a little more obvious. But once through the actual departure area was vast, spacious, and light with 2 outside areas, at least 3 children's play areas, lots of different eating choices and quite a few "duty free" options. Didn't try any eating places so can't comment on prices. Plenty of places to sit and wandering down to the end of the hall there were some deserted and very quiet parts. All in all very pleasant and far better than most in holiday destinations.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"special assistance was terrible"

Trip Verified | The special assistance was terrible. On arrival the footplate to our special needs buggy did not come off the plane with the rest of the buggy. We were told it would come off on the special baggage belt which was a long way from where our cases were to come off on a main belt. We waited for over half an hour, until we had to leave to get our transport to our hotel, and it never arrived. It was reported but it never turned up. That’s £30 to buy a replacement. Departure was a joke. Having a priority sticker on our luggage meant nothing. We got to go to the front of the queue and to go down to the plane first. However everyone else was immediately allowed to follow us down and as we had the buggy and needed to wait for the lift, by the time we got down to where the shuttle was, dozens of people were now in front of us. An inept member of staff told us not to board the transport, that we would be getting on a different vehicle. Everyone else boarded the transport then he told us to get on it and we were driven out to the plane. There were no members of staff by the stairs! We had to walk up the stairs carrying our hand luggage, a special needs buggy and our 12 year old disabled daughter. The cabin staff then told us that we shouldn’t have boarded that way, that a special transport should have brought us directly to the door. Well, yes it should but it didn’t and it was incredibly frustrating and depressing to have been dumped at the bottom of the steps like that. Have to admit that we won’t be in any hurry to go to Fuerteventura again.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"a speedy service"

Not Verified | Excellent airport, very clean and a speedy service especially with two small children. Arrivals very straightforward baggage came quickly and a separate conveyor for our pram. Only a short walk to the car hire. Departure was a quick check in and well managed queue through security. The one massive bonus for us was the in thermal play park with entertained our 2 year old. Overall excellent experience.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"sky-high prices"

Trip Verified | My main complaint about this airport is the sky-high prices. We have all come to expect rip-off prices at airports generally, but this one takes the biscuit, e.g. a can of Mahou alcohol-free beer costs 50 cents in the supermarket, but a whopping 3.50 euros airside. It is absolutely galling when travellers have spent their hard-earned money on the island that they should be exposed to this last-ditch attempt to relieve them of even more money. My advice is: bring your own (in 100 ml bottles, if necessary!). Also, signage, particularly to the gates, could be better. The security was thorough, but rather of the Soviet variety (still, I've experienced this at Heathrow as well). The outdoor terrace is now covered in artificial grass and is thoroughly tacky: why didn't they leave it be? My recent experience of Tenerife South was vastly more positive, so head form Tenerife instead if you're planning to return to the Canaries!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"absolutely terrible signage"

Not Verified | I've never used this website before but feel the need to review Fuerteventura airport as it was a really bad experience. Firstly, absolutely terrible signage. When we arrived we tried to find the bus stop - which is nowhere near where you end up being when you come out of arrivals. One would assume that the bus stop is where 'BUS' is painted all over the tarmac, but no. We watched the bus fly past us and park at a totally different part of the airport. On the return journey - it is totally unclear as to where you need to go to get through security and into the departure lounge. The normal looking security area seems to be cordoned off for use exclusively for domestic flights (inter canaries). We were then sent on a wild goose chase to find out where international passengers go through security. We were given wrong information twice, and eventually found out that access to security is basically hidden away behind one of the check in desks. Security staff very rude and unhelpful (standard I suppose). Here's a crazy idea: How about putting up a sign saying 'Domestic Departures' and 'International Departures' or even crazier, just combine the two instead of having two separate security systems.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"really needs to improve its communication"

Verified Review | The airport is beautiful, but all flights (14) of the afternoon were delayed for more than 8 hours!, and no info was given about that. All people had to wait, still hoping to be able bording. This airport really needs to improve its communication. That's unfair.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"should be more options available for travellers"

Unverified | I am a frequent visitor to Fuerteventura and it's airport, having resided in Puerto del Rosario on the island for some years previously. I have always received appropriate and professional service upon every visit to this aiport, up until now. It is because of this that I feel that I should express my opinion on the experience I encountered on my visit of 18th June 2017, in order for any necessary improvements that could be made for future customers. I travel a great deal, with my work in the United Kingdom, often Business Class, and have almost always been dealt with at various airports all over the world with courteous, professional customer service. Good customer service is of utmost importance to myself as, not only do I have to provide such service in my own employment, I expect to be treated with similar when I, myself, am the customer (or in this case, traveller) in question. I must clarify that, on this occasion, I was not using this airport as a Business Customer, but in fact a Leisure customer and I was returning back to the UK from this airport after a holiday. Check in procedures had gone smoothly and courteously, as had security and passport checks. However, once in the Departure Lounge, it seems that things do not run quite as smoothly. I understand that this particular airport seems to be in the midst of renovation and building work, resulting in many large parts being cordoned off whilst the work is carried out. This however left extremely little choice in being able to find any kind of food outlet to eat in, particularly hot food. The one cafeteria we eventually located, had very limited food choice available, and so the only option was to purchase a (very expensive) sandwich and coffee. After a long day of travelling, this was inevitably not an adequate meal to have before our subsequent long flight back home. I do feel that there should be more options available for travellers to eat and drink, despite the maintenance being carried out. However, my main concern in my experience at this airport was the treatment received from a member of staff, again in the Departures lounge. Our flight had been delayed, and we therefore decided to sit down for a while until our Gate was available. Having located what looked to be a waiting area in an array of empty seating sections throughout the lounges, we briefly stopped and sat down whilst sending a message to family back in the UK to advise them of our delay. After a few minutes, I was astounded to hear a loud shouting in my direction from an old female member of staff, very rudely shrieking at us, in front of other customers, that we were in a "wheelchair area". Her comments were "are you in wheelchair? No, then move! Never, in my years of travelling have I ever encountered such nasty, unnecessary and blatantly rude treatment towards me, as I did from this member of staff. I, obviously got up straight away, having realised my error in choosing a seat, and moved to a different area. But, having looked around at the area, in no place at all was it clear that this was, indeed a disabled area. There was merely just a table with leaflets, with the details for impaired mobility customers. I feel that some of the staff need to be re-trained in good Customer Service.
Date VisitJune 2017

"seats are uncomfortable"

I am a fairly frequent visitor to Fuerteventura airport, about 3 or 4 times per year. I often dread the journey home, I am usually tired and the airport seats are awfully uncomfortable. The food is a bug bare for me, the quality is poor and the prices ridiculously high - however, this time there is a slight improvement with the new American burger bar 'Ribs'. The nachos were good value for money but the chips were barely lukewarm and a small cola was €2.85. A Burger King or McDonalds would be preferable where prices and quality are a little more consistent.
Date VisitMay 2016

"staff can't cope"

We visit Fuerteventura 3 times a year and when it's busy it's so obvious staff can't cope. For this recent trip it was absolutely total confusion in all the shops. As for the new burger restuarant - what a joke. Every airport is costly but 2 undercooked burgers, chips and 2 small cokes 30EUR. The amount of people who were given the wrong order would be funny if not frustrating. The duty free shops are so disorganised - it is a sad state as the staff themselves are lovely but training must be non-existent. International airport it may look but security took 30 mins. This is ok as it's in all our interest to be thoroughly checked but I went thru with 2 x 330mm liquid bottles in my flight bag and no one noticed them in the scanner. In duty free someone pointed out an unattended bag in the shop which had been there for a while - the staff put it behind their desk with a shrug. Lovely island, lovely people, a great place to visit but airport security and organisation seems to have gaping holes.
Date VisitApril 2016

"very smooth operation at this airport"

Very smooth operation at this airport. We were off the plane and searching for our transport in about 25 minutes when we arrived at about 8pm on a Saturday. Departing we were quickly through check in and security, I could see how at very busy times the security would easily be overwhelmed as it is not well organised at all. The departures lounge was well provided with signs giving flight status. A few shops, coffee shops and a bar with burger bar. The male toilets however were the filthiest I have ever encountered and I fly a lot and seen them all over the globe. They stank and even the hand dryers were dirty.
Date VisitJanuary 2016