Frankfurt Main Airport

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Whilst the German populace at large had been made aware of impending cold weather and snowfall for the preceding five days the operators of Frankfurt Airport were clearly caught with their pants down on 27th November. Our EK flight scheduled for 1425 departure was finally serviced by the de-icing vehicles at the gate at 1505. Then the aircraft was not pushed back until 1600. Why is such an antiquated de-icing process used in the first place? Much easier and more efficient to de-ice aircraft at the end of the taxiway immediately prior to take-off. As a result of Fraport's wonderful incapability our flight was also put in a 30-minute holding pattern overhead DXB. I am puzzled to see that Fraport advertise their "expertise" for sale to other airport operators.

(Japan)

Other reviews have emphasized just how awful changing flights is here and my experience was no exception though my return flight from Geneva to Osaka was an exception. And my experience has been confined to Terminal 1. On a recent trip it took two hours to go from Gate C13 to Gate A40. There was just one official checking passports at the immigration gate for entering the Schengen zone so loads of passengers were pushing in with varying degrees of politeness because of their earlier flights. On the other hand transferring from Gate A34 to B23 was very smooth with the moving walkway in the connecting tunnel being fully functional and hardly anyone at the passport control. However after passing through passport control so quickly I had to waste time checking the departure gate for my flight. The departure gate for my flight to Osaka was posted on the monitors at Gate A34 but not on the monitors just outside the passport control. So I was wondering if there had been a gate change. Finally boarding the flight by row numbers proved chaotic though this might have been due to Lufthansa. Transferring via Frankfurt is like being an out-patient in a very poor ill- equipped hospital. This is because the publicity suggests that it is a wholly therapeutic experience.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

While brusque or unpleasant security and border checks are hardly unique to FRA I've never encountered shop staff so unpleasant as in a recent trip connecting through the US flights area. At one coffee shop they even began mocking a customer (in German of course) who had the nerve to request a bag to carry a muffin with her to the plane (and what kind of airport coffee shop doesn't have containers to let you carry stuff aboard with you?)! Beyond the obvious personnel problems FRA is cursed with a horrible design that goes to extreme lengths to sort passengers into areas based on their destinations - and clearly wasn't originally designed to do so. Signage is atrocious - one sign actually had marker scrawled on it by staff to clarify just which gates were in which direction. A horror to navigate made worse by the constant fear that turning the next corner will accidentally take you outside of one border/security area and require you to pass through that whole process over again. All this makes for a horrible journey point and I haven't even got to the interminable busses between plane stands and the terminals.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Arrived FRA by RailAir from Stuttgart with 3.5 hours before onward flight to Manchester. Took 2 hours from leaving the train to getting thru security and passport control and sitting down for a cup of coffee. Just read previous posts. Massive lines at bag-drop/check-in desks in the main hall (so we went back to the bag-drop close to the station) 15 minute line at security gates and only 4 out of 12 staffed 20 minutes wait at passport control during which time one officer disappeared for 5 minutes and another disappeared completely never to be seen again so suddenly my line was effectively twice as long. Very poor signage compensated however by very helpful and numerous ground staff.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Looks like my experience was not uncommon. Confusing signage and building design but its the security that's the most confronting. They are rudest and most aggressive I have experienced - not just to passengers but to their own colleagues as well. The full body frisking was done in a very aggressive manner - I don't know what they expect to get from Xraying my passport and boarding pass. I passed through Tokyo transit security and the end of the flight wearing the same clothes and with the same luggage without any incident and all with a pleasant smile from security.

(Sweden)

Signs are many and very confusing. Granted everything is there as far shopping and conveniences of all sorts are concerned - but to find them and to find your flight elsewhere is a problem. I think that the architecture and structure of the airport is flawed. It has grown too fast and changed so many times to accommodate new legislation and growing number of passengers that travellers do not manage to get a feeling of direction anymore.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

I travel to Frankfurt every year on vacation usually May-Sep. I am a German-American and speak fluent German and English but I always have to ask several times at this airport. I know how to follow signs but here they often lead to nothing; the signage has to be upgraded. The personnel I have asked have been supportive but not always clear. I have had layovers at many airports internationally but Frankfurt has been the worst. This is coming from a German who loves her country!

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

I was just reminded why so many previous contributors have awarded this airport low ratings particularly for surly and rude staff. Arriving from Dubai the other day I lined up at one of the immigration counters marked "EU EWR CH". Just when it was my turn a woman in a fluorescent jacket moved in from left field. Feeling my physical resistance she then muttered "Excuse me we have priority". She had two passengers in tow without EU passports. I suggested she might make her own job easier if she asked people prior to trying to push them aside upon which she replied (with a straight face) "I just did ask you". As a native German speaker I can safely say that there was neither the intonation of a question or a please (usually associated with asking) involved. I usually avoid Frankfurt but was forced to use it due to my original itinerary having been disturbed by the volcanic ash saga.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Departed from Terminal 2. It is quite time-consuming from the long-distance train platforms to Terminal 2 building - long walks to reach the shuttle stop followed by a 10 mins bus drive. The terminal itself is modern and clean. Check-in and security screening hassle-free. Staff polite though not overly friendly. Airside there is not much to do in the Schengen area - a duty-free shop a small kiosk and an overpriced cafe. Toilet facilities are clean but hard to find.

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

We arrived at terminal 1 and went to the passport control where it was confusing and crowded with passengers just arrived and did not know which lines they supposed to follow to get their passport checked. The signs were all in German! Inside the terminal though the signs have English subtitles which make it easier to find the train station. Departure gates were also confusing and very far apart with no place in between to buy refreshment.