Frankfurt Main Airport

"officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed"

Trip Verified | I realise that the whole world is under pressure at the moment with Coronavirus but the attitude of the security staff at this airport was appalling. We had come off our flight from Hong Kong having left 2 days earlier than expected and also re-routed to Heathrow instead of Manchester (where our car is). We were tired and like everyone else, just wanted to get home, When we got to security we could count on one hand the number of people going through. The adjustable barriers were in place but because there were very few people, we went under the barriers, not to jump the queue (something we would never do anyway but there just wasn’t a queue) but we had walked some distance from our flight. I wish I had taken the young ladies name but she came towards us and told my 61 year old husband to go back and start again. Her tone and manner was aggressive and when I let out a laugh because I couldn’t actually believe how unreasonable she was being she once again berated is. The airport is virtually empty so why on earth had they made the queueing line so very long. The two staff we dealt with, her being one of them, were officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed. It felt as though they were on some sort of power trip, clearly having the time to be difficult. If ever we have to come through this airport again, I hope the experience is a vast improvement on this one.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"very hard to get around"

Not Verified | FFM is a massive airport and very hard to get around. To its defense I must say, that this airport is old and had many buildings added on over the years/decades. However, there are things that do not have to be as they are. In particular turn over times are very slow. Although they claim to have a 45 minute turnover time for transits, this could not be further away from the truth. Even with turnover times of 1h30min I was still running down corridors and up and down stairs, whenever I traveled through Frankfurt. The last time, in Sept 2019 despite immediately leaving the plane and following the signs I was stuck in a long queue of passengers, waiting for security. Both business class and economy were the same single queue. I had planned a 1h45min turn over, learning from my past experiences. Being stuck I saw the time running out, so I left the queue and talked to some idly standing security officers. They only shrugged, commenting, that I had checked in too late - this was a transit, and therefore beyond my control! After 15 min - I already had given up hope to ever reach my domestic flight on time - another officer appeared and guided us to a different security area, with 2 (two!) open lanes. At the last minute I reached the gate. This is extra stress being added to an already exhausting international trip. Middle Eastern, Asian and Australian airports are way ahead. I could not give comments about airport shopping and wifi, all I could do was rushing through the airport - no time for shopping, sorry guys. Conclusion: Big airport with long distances. Poorly organised and slow security. Unhelpful staff. Services falling behind international standards. I will avoid Frankfurt whenever I can.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"queuing for over 2 hours"

(Spain)

Not Verified | I am a frequent flyer and what I experienced at this airport is simply beyond belief. Seems the security staff actually take pleasure in their power abusing ways of making sure the waiting time is as long as possible. I arrived 2.5 hours before my flight and I barely made it. I have literally been queuing for over 2 hours to get past security. When you ask - no decent response. Once you finally reach security you are being treated like dirt. Unfortunately, I have to use this airport in the coming 6 months and I am not happy about it.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Security check very slow"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Security check very slow and poorly managed. No fast lane available for the interconnecting flights, beware you will lose the next flight if you have a layover less than 120 min. If possible, recommend avoiding transit to this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"way too little seating space available"

Trip Verified | Perfect and fast departure. Airport well lit and good signage. Restaurant choices somewhat restricted and expensive. There are bakery outlets though offering the same as in town for reasonable prices. Walking to the Z gates is quite long. There is also way too little seating space available. It took me less than 20 minutes from check-in to the lounge behind security control. Plus you have showers in this airport. Before and after security control. 6 euros or 8 US dollars including shower gel and towels. I like the airport and am quite astonished reading the other experiences here Public transportation available via buses, long distance trains and local rail.

"signage is poor"

Trip Verified | Worst airport experience ever. Security is fragmented, signage is poor, and the design is sprawling and incoherent. Kathmandu airport is a better experience for crying out loud. Shameful for the German people who are known for efficiency. You have a lot to learn from the Dutch! I was questioned (routinely) at check in, at security, and passport control (and more questions!) was performed before I could even sit down at the gate, keeping me from easily exiting and re-entering. Sane airports perform passport control at boarding.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"25 minutes to get through security"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Graz via Frankfurt. Transit at Franfurt was a nightmare. The staff were unhelpful and it took 25 minutes to get through security. Lufthansa claim that you can connect between flights in 60 minutes. this is not possible. Do not think about a transit of less than 120 minutes. Complaining to Lufthansa, they accept that the transit times are often not possible and blame the german government.

"Lines long and slow"

Trip Verified | Had in 2 months 3 times the same transfer flights. First time missed it because we needed to go through the security checks again. We arrived 30 minutes late at the gate. We needed to stay one night in Frankfurt. Second time no problems no lines. Third time almost missed it with 5 min. Needed to run across half of the airport. Because the checks took forever. (The airport app did say max 10 min waiting but actually 50 min). Would again not recommend this airport. Lines are too long and slow. They even close one counter of the security checks when lines are long.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"very slow and very inefficient"

Not Verified | Baggage claim is very slow. Unless you are one of the lucky 5 or 6 whose luggage comes out first so they can claim to meet their targets, then allow 30-45 mins average. On the way out again, security is very slow and very inefficient. Also unfriendly.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Passing security is slow"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airport I travel through in Europe. Passing security is slow and the people working seem to be on slow strike. Not an ideal airport to use for any flight connections.