Frankfurt Main Airport

"The airport is simply awful"

Trip Verified | I only gave it a rating of 1 because I was forced to. I would give it a zero rating if I could. The airport is simply awful. Actually the phrase 'airport' is misleading because if the security staff get their way, you won't be going anywhere. You are forced to walk extremely long distances for transfer flights and I went through TWO security checks when I was transferring flights from a place that already did security checks. After the first check, I wrongly assumed it would be safe to buy a bottle of water, which by the way, cost 3 Euro. Little did I know that there would be yet another check for the transit flight and so my overpriced bottle of water was promptly confiscated. Furthermore, because of the extremely poor signs and the fact that there was no indication of how to get to the transfer hall - I would then follow the signs for my gate number only to have yet another security check. I nearly missed my transfer flight as a result, because I only had an hour in-between transfers. Bear in mind, the airport was practically empty due to the pandemic. Had it been busier, there's no way I would have made it. If your transit time is less than 2.5 hours, do not transit here. You've been warned. I tried to explain my situation to the agents, but it was useless. Even after the second check, I had to ASK where to go. Had I simply followed the signs, I more than likely would have missed the flight and been forced to go through another security check. This is because the signs simply lead you back around to the same route you were before. The place where I needed to go was not obvious at all. Another group of passengers that I saw on the first check experienced similar frustrations and were equally confused. I fly quite a bit and have never experienced such confusion, even in airports in developing countries. You might be thinking "well why not just go to the information desk?" The answer is that all the information desks were closed. Bear in mind, it was the middle of the day, just after 12pm on a Monday. Oh and the food options are extremely poor, water is overpriced. Come to think of it, the staff at the food shop weren't that nice either.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"Today was especially poor"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | In the past, I was picked out at random for explosives where the federal police come and do an additional checks. In theory ok unless it takes them 20min from the other end of the airport to perform this. Today however was especially poor. There were more security staff than passengers, more federal police than normal (later I found out why) and the slowest pace, none experienced Security group I’ve ever come across in FRA. Both carry on bags were double checked, one again random test for explosives. The gentleman in front of me, had the same thing so now it was obvious why the police were stationed there. The machine was going crazy, positively testing way more than normal holding the entire process up. On top of that, eventhough they only asked for me to take the laptop out, they clearly had an issue with my phone and computer charging cables. Since when do we need to take those out? After 10min arguing about what they both were seeing on the screen, the two security Ladies handed back my second carry on with no further comments. My security check only alone took 27min, is this typical for travel during Covid times?
Date VisitAugust 2020

"I would choose FRA again"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | There is always something new to explore at Frankfurt Airport. It is a very clean airport with friendly staff and a big variety of areas to relax before long flights. I would choose FRA again.
Date VisitJune 2019

"This Airport has it all"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | One can clearly see that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the revamping of this Airport. I was awe and amazement. I especially enjoyed all of the leisure zones such as the Movie world and the silent chairs. This Airport has it all. I look forward to returning and to exploring some more.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Huge Duty free area"

(Romania)

Not Verified | Nice airport. Went in both T1 and T2. The Lufthansa gates are still wearing the old colors. Huge Duty free area! I was glad I saw a Starbucks in my terminal! Also loved the McDonald's! Security lines are quite long since FRA is one of Europe's biggest airports.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed"

Trip Verified | I realise that the whole world is under pressure at the moment with Coronavirus but the attitude of the security staff at this airport was appalling. We had come off our flight from Hong Kong having left 2 days earlier than expected and also re-routed to Heathrow instead of Manchester (where our car is). We were tired and like everyone else, just wanted to get home, When we got to security we could count on one hand the number of people going through. The adjustable barriers were in place but because there were very few people, we went under the barriers, not to jump the queue (something we would never do anyway but there just wasn’t a queue) but we had walked some distance from our flight. I wish I had taken the young ladies name but she came towards us and told my 61 year old husband to go back and start again. Her tone and manner was aggressive and when I let out a laugh because I couldn’t actually believe how unreasonable she was being she once again berated is. The airport is virtually empty so why on earth had they made the queueing line so very long. The two staff we dealt with, her being one of them, were officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed. It felt as though they were on some sort of power trip, clearly having the time to be difficult. If ever we have to come through this airport again, I hope the experience is a vast improvement on this one.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"very hard to get around"

Not Verified | FFM is a massive airport and very hard to get around. To its defense I must say, that this airport is old and had many buildings added on over the years/decades. However, there are things that do not have to be as they are. In particular turn over times are very slow. Although they claim to have a 45 minute turnover time for transits, this could not be further away from the truth. Even with turnover times of 1h30min I was still running down corridors and up and down stairs, whenever I traveled through Frankfurt. The last time, in Sept 2019 despite immediately leaving the plane and following the signs I was stuck in a long queue of passengers, waiting for security. Both business class and economy were the same single queue. I had planned a 1h45min turn over, learning from my past experiences. Being stuck I saw the time running out, so I left the queue and talked to some idly standing security officers. They only shrugged, commenting, that I had checked in too late - this was a transit, and therefore beyond my control! After 15 min - I already had given up hope to ever reach my domestic flight on time - another officer appeared and guided us to a different security area, with 2 (two!) open lanes. At the last minute I reached the gate. This is extra stress being added to an already exhausting international trip. Middle Eastern, Asian and Australian airports are way ahead. I could not give comments about airport shopping and wifi, all I could do was rushing through the airport - no time for shopping, sorry guys. Conclusion: Big airport with long distances. Poorly organised and slow security. Unhelpful staff. Services falling behind international standards. I will avoid Frankfurt whenever I can.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"queuing for over 2 hours"

(Spain)

Not Verified | I am a frequent flyer and what I experienced at this airport is simply beyond belief. Seems the security staff actually take pleasure in their power abusing ways of making sure the waiting time is as long as possible. I arrived 2.5 hours before my flight and I barely made it. I have literally been queuing for over 2 hours to get past security. When you ask - no decent response. Once you finally reach security you are being treated like dirt. Unfortunately, I have to use this airport in the coming 6 months and I am not happy about it.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Security check very slow"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Security check very slow and poorly managed. No fast lane available for the interconnecting flights, beware you will lose the next flight if you have a layover less than 120 min. If possible, recommend avoiding transit to this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"way too little seating space available"

Trip Verified | Perfect and fast departure. Airport well lit and good signage. Restaurant choices somewhat restricted and expensive. There are bakery outlets though offering the same as in town for reasonable prices. Walking to the Z gates is quite long. There is also way too little seating space available. It took me less than 20 minutes from check-in to the lounge behind security control. Plus you have showers in this airport. Before and after security control. 6 euros or 8 US dollars including shower gel and towels. I like the airport and am quite astonished reading the other experiences here Public transportation available via buses, long distance trains and local rail.