Frankfurt Main Airport

"This airport needs quality control"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Flying from Zagreb and arriving in time I lost my connection flight and even the next possible flight due to mismanagement and incompetent staff, resulting in a whole day spent waiting. Transit time from Croatia is miscalculated: A full passport control and yet another security check was required, instead of providing proper transit or at least proper signage, instead an ongoing frustration. Service members failed to see the urgency in time to place me in front of the numbered waiting queue, hence I lost my second connecting flight option. Service members were apparently not well concentrated or lacked skill to do their job at a high level. This airport needs quality control. Toilets are very clean, but what helps this to make up for this messy situation.

"Terrible signage"

Not Verified | Terribly complex airport. Terrible signage. Disgruntled, rude and tired security staff. Long queues and unappealing duty free section. No wonder it takes them more than a decade to finish Berlin airport or Stuttgart train station. Germans can no longer run big public projects. Their decline has started.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"will never return here again"

Not Verified | Huge layout that wasn’t very good, a massive security loop of people who appear to be very unfriendly. One nice guard out of the four times I’ve been there who was conversational, the rest were angry and appeared to be confrontational at best. There were several checkpoints for my flight and the one before my return flight home had given me tremendous problems and were unclear in their instructions. My confusion angered them even further and they were so mad at me for not understanding them. Worst of all, they appeared to dislike their jobs and were very bad at doing them. I don’t ever recommend FRA to anyone and will never return here again. They treat human beings like garbage and somehow still have jobs.
Date VisitJune 2019

"avoid transit through Frankfurt"

Not Verified | I had to change my plane while flying to Houston from Mumbai at Frankfurt. I had around 2.30 hours to change planes. My whole time was spent in going through the security process and the boarding of the plane had already started. Worst snail paced security ever seen. Since I was flying to US, they made us go through additional checks and we were traveling with 2 kids. Those security screening guys were lethargic and dead slow. I told one of them that their process was too slow. Please avoid transit through Frankfurt if you can.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"This was the absolute worst experience"

(Norway)

Not Verified | This was the absolute worst experience! I'm always very keen on clicking on the smileys at the security control satisfaction rating but this time - horrible! After 2 x 10 hour long flights we finally got to Frankurt our last transit airport before Norway. To our dismay we had to go through security check, everything we have in the bags has already been checked twice and bought at the airport. The waiting line was huge! Reason - incompetent staff! The camera equipment had to be taken out of the covers - I mean it's a modern airport with modern scanners! You can see through right?! I also had a tube of 125gram Vegemite I bought at the airport in Australia - food right?! Nope not allowed because it's too big? It was sealed, I had a receipt, bought it at the airport! Unnecessary rude officer just threw it away. This was the worst case of power abuse I had to deal with at the airport! And it was just a transit! Get yourself together Frankfurt!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Frankfurt Airport is a total embarrassment to me"

Trip Verified | I am German and Frankfurt Airport is a total embarrassment to me. An airport is the first thing you see when entering a country, and it gives you a first impression what awaits you. Horrible, just horrible, such a shame - service-wise. No one can tell you anything, everyone is so unfriendly, you are sent from A to B and back, and the airport is just an unorganized mess. You always have the feeling you have to apologize to steal precious time of anyone. Combined with a late arrival with United and the incapability of Lufthansa to organize the connecting flight including Lufthansa-United finger pointing (I heard “not my fault” at least 4 times), we spent 10 hours in this lovely airport and missed 2 flights. I am currently writing from there. Not the first time that this happened. Avoid it if you can and book though Paris or Amsterdam. May Lufthansa and Frankfurt airport go bankrupt, I dont really care. Yes it is at least clean an you can shop - they have a Leica store, if you want to compensate your frustration about the German understanding of “service” by buying a 7,000 € Leica M10 camera - at least our products are world-class.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"This was the worst experience"

Not Verified | The lines for security were too long. The rate at which they were screening passengers was ridiculous. Even though the body scanner showed no issues, the security guy had to touch my head to make sure I had nothing in my hair. The security guys were rude. This was the worst experience. Never fly through Frankfurt.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"was very pleasantly surprised"

(Egypt)

Not Verified | I was seriously concerned about my recent transit flights through the airport on the 20th and 28th of December 2019, especially after receiving a warning from Lufthansa about 'long queuing times' on the 20th since it would be such a busy day for travel. I had a 2:30 layover in one direction, and only 1:30 on the return leg. I was very pleasantly surprised. I breezed through the security checks in minutes; in both cases, I went straight to an x-ray machine with no additional queuing. I then had only had one person in front of me at the x-ray machine. There was a brief delay at the security screen in the outward leg, but this was only because the person in front of me had a sealed diplomatic pouch that required a specific protocol outside of the standard x-ray. This held me up for no more than two minutes. In both directions I was through security screening inside five minutes. Obviously others have had a very different experience, but in more than 40 years of international travel, I doubt I've had a faster security screen during a transit at a major international hub airport. I otherwise found the facilities in Terminal B to be more than adequate, with a mix of seating available, and perfectly fine shopping options. I had little interaction with staff.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"FRA airport is one of the worst"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | FRA airport is one of the worst in terms of ground passenger services. The Lines at security check are a mess, waiting for half hour or more to pass some rude, and personal privacy intruding security staff is unacceptable. All the time some transport linking the terminals is broken down, the signage is a huge mess leaving people disorientated, in terms of shopping its lousy at best totally unfriendly staff! Lounges are unwelcoming, ill equipped and always serving some Frankfurter Sausages over-boiled and plastic taste. I would avoid using it!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"What a terrible experience"

(Russian Federation)

Not Verified | What a terrible experience to travel via Frankfurt (M) Flughafen! When arriving, there was an enormously long queue for the passport control (all passes). People standing in there were about to miss their connecting flights. It took me 1.5 hours from landing to getting out the airport. When departing from Frankfurt to St. Petersburg (26.12, LH1438), passing security checkpoint was weird. Security officers were impolite and unfriendly, I would even say rude to people speaking neither English nor German. I guess if people, especially seniors, don't speak any foreign language and find courage to travel nevertheless, it's not the reason to be rude to them or discuss them as if they weren't here at all. The funniest is that the majority of officers neither seem nor sound to be native German speakers. It felt like at a Turkish bazaar rather than in an international airport.