Frankfurt Main Airport

"Avoid Frankfurt airport if you can"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | This might be the 70th airport I have visited in my life and the worst experience yet. I arrived there in an 80 people Schengen flight. This was during COVID times and the terminal was almost empty. However it took 1+hour for out luggage to come out! It would have been quicker for us to pick it from the plane directly! The atmosphere in the airport was mournful, quivering lights, no staff to ask questions, signs sometimes were contradictory, just a few places to disinfect hands. Avoid Frankfurt airport if you can!
Date VisitMarch 2021

"Don't travel with Lufthansa through Frankfurt airport"

Trip Verified | Don't travel with Lufthansa through Frankfurt airport. In fact, this airport does not have any professionalism in dealing with travelers, whether transit passengers or traveling passengers. In addition to mistreatment at the airport, they cannot speak English normally, so the police officers do not help anyone find their way, even if there are insufficient signals at the airport. This is in addition to the lack of cleanliness of the place and the absence of soap in the bathrooms (in the time of the Corona epidemic). This is with the existence of the most horrific transportation company in the world, Lufthansa, who are only good at cutting travel bags and losing their contents. In fact, it was a terrible experience. I would not recommend anyone to travel by Lufthansa through Frankfurt airport, even if did not travel at all.
Date VisitFebruary 2021

"Very uncomfortable situation"

Trip Verified | Very unsettling experience! We had an employee come up to our group yelling at us telling us that we needed to leave an area that we had no idea that became a passport/boarding pass checkpoint after 6am. Most of our group was asleep and it was extremely unpleasant being woke up like that. Whenever I spoke with a supervisor about this he was honestly no help and I was afraid to keep pushing because I didn't want him to make me miss my flight or something else happen. Very uncomfortable situation to be in and I personally will try to not avoid Frankfurt.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"customer service at Frankfort Airport is not good"

Not Verified | The overall customer service at Frankfort Airport is not good. The behavior of airport staff is very unfriendly so bad that you can feel it. If you ask a question from police, they ignore you. If you ask the staff a question most of the time you don't get a friendly and helpful response. I don't know if it's because of not speaking English or its the culture. You would never see a police or staff having a little smile when answering your question or any other matter. My overall experience is that I don't feel it's a friendly environment like US airports etc and feel like they don't like the passengers.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"The airport is simply awful"

Trip Verified | I only gave it a rating of 1 because I was forced to. I would give it a zero rating if I could. The airport is simply awful. Actually the phrase 'airport' is misleading because if the security staff get their way, you won't be going anywhere. You are forced to walk extremely long distances for transfer flights and I went through TWO security checks when I was transferring flights from a place that already did security checks. After the first check, I wrongly assumed it would be safe to buy a bottle of water, which by the way, cost 3 Euro. Little did I know that there would be yet another check for the transit flight and so my overpriced bottle of water was promptly confiscated. Furthermore, because of the extremely poor signs and the fact that there was no indication of how to get to the transfer hall - I would then follow the signs for my gate number only to have yet another security check. I nearly missed my transfer flight as a result, because I only had an hour in-between transfers. Bear in mind, the airport was practically empty due to the pandemic. Had it been busier, there's no way I would have made it. If your transit time is less than 2.5 hours, do not transit here. You've been warned. I tried to explain my situation to the agents, but it was useless. Even after the second check, I had to ASK where to go. Had I simply followed the signs, I more than likely would have missed the flight and been forced to go through another security check. This is because the signs simply lead you back around to the same route you were before. The place where I needed to go was not obvious at all. Another group of passengers that I saw on the first check experienced similar frustrations and were equally confused. I fly quite a bit and have never experienced such confusion, even in airports in developing countries. You might be thinking "well why not just go to the information desk?" The answer is that all the information desks were closed. Bear in mind, it was the middle of the day, just after 12pm on a Monday. Oh and the food options are extremely poor, water is overpriced. Come to think of it, the staff at the food shop weren't that nice either.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"Today was especially poor"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | In the past, I was picked out at random for explosives where the federal police come and do an additional checks. In theory ok unless it takes them 20min from the other end of the airport to perform this. Today however was especially poor. There were more security staff than passengers, more federal police than normal (later I found out why) and the slowest pace, none experienced Security group I’ve ever come across in FRA. Both carry on bags were double checked, one again random test for explosives. The gentleman in front of me, had the same thing so now it was obvious why the police were stationed there. The machine was going crazy, positively testing way more than normal holding the entire process up. On top of that, eventhough they only asked for me to take the laptop out, they clearly had an issue with my phone and computer charging cables. Since when do we need to take those out? After 10min arguing about what they both were seeing on the screen, the two security Ladies handed back my second carry on with no further comments. My security check only alone took 27min, is this typical for travel during Covid times?
Date VisitAugust 2020

"I would choose FRA again"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | There is always something new to explore at Frankfurt Airport. It is a very clean airport with friendly staff and a big variety of areas to relax before long flights. I would choose FRA again.
Date VisitJune 2019

"This Airport has it all"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | One can clearly see that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the revamping of this Airport. I was awe and amazement. I especially enjoyed all of the leisure zones such as the Movie world and the silent chairs. This Airport has it all. I look forward to returning and to exploring some more.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Huge Duty free area"

(Romania)

Not Verified | Nice airport. Went in both T1 and T2. The Lufthansa gates are still wearing the old colors. Huge Duty free area! I was glad I saw a Starbucks in my terminal! Also loved the McDonald's! Security lines are quite long since FRA is one of Europe's biggest airports.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed"

Trip Verified | I realise that the whole world is under pressure at the moment with Coronavirus but the attitude of the security staff at this airport was appalling. We had come off our flight from Hong Kong having left 2 days earlier than expected and also re-routed to Heathrow instead of Manchester (where our car is). We were tired and like everyone else, just wanted to get home, When we got to security we could count on one hand the number of people going through. The adjustable barriers were in place but because there were very few people, we went under the barriers, not to jump the queue (something we would never do anyway but there just wasn’t a queue) but we had walked some distance from our flight. I wish I had taken the young ladies name but she came towards us and told my 61 year old husband to go back and start again. Her tone and manner was aggressive and when I let out a laugh because I couldn’t actually believe how unreasonable she was being she once again berated is. The airport is virtually empty so why on earth had they made the queueing line so very long. The two staff we dealt with, her being one of them, were officious, rude and very unfriendly indeed. It felt as though they were on some sort of power trip, clearly having the time to be difficult. If ever we have to come through this airport again, I hope the experience is a vast improvement on this one.
Date VisitMarch 2020