Faro Airport

"hope this won't be a regular occurrence"

Not Verified | After travelling to Portugal for many years, usually twice a year I have never witnessed the queues at Faro Airport as I did today. I hope this won't be a regular occurrence as it will stop my wife and myself returning to this lovely country. I know the airport has been revamped, but there is no point having a new airport, and loosing there efficacy. Spent 1hr 20 m queuing for passport control. It just ridiculous. We hadn't even time for airport shopping or a coffee.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"staff are invariably cheerful and helpful"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I feel very lucky to have Faro as my home base since the staff are invariably cheerful and helpful. As a 'special assistance' passenger I am whisked through security and emigration/immigration where, even in these notorious places I get a 'Bom Dia' and am helped with luggage. The only unusual thing now is that we have to go upstairs to check-in at the gate and then downstairs again to get the lift to the aircraft - surely this step could be cut out out to streamline the 'MyWay' staff's duties. Yes food and drink is expensive but no more so than any other airport to which I travel and toilets, in my experience, are always clean and well maintained.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Lack of clear guidelines"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Lack of clear guidelines of everything When you ask the staff to help you around,they are so not helpful at all. There’s lots to improve with this airport eg Seats should be more comfortable.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"lacks most basic amenities and comforts"

Trip Verified | The Airport is fairly new. But notwithstanding lacks most basic amenities and comforts. Inadequate signposting, no visible Information Office, and insufficient Toilets for the number of passengers. Car Hire desks always closed and the only information has to gained through asking waiting Taxi Drivers. The departure lounge is horrendous with lots of expensive shops and overpriced Bars and nowhere to sit. Once passed through Security for the second time the search for Departure gate starts, up an escalator, down some steps, along a corridor with no monitors and then when you find somewhere close to ones gate, more stairs appear. The staff are brusque and unfriendly and the same goes for the people in Arrivals Passport Control. No smiles, no thank you, nothing but a bored look. It is obviously designed for maximum gain with minimum outlay. Avoid if possible.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"seems to be operating efficiently"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Now that the terminal renovation is complete it looks very smart and seems to be operating efficiently. The 'special Assistance' is always excellent with cheerful employees who look and sound as if they enjoy their work - very important for someone who would really rather be without the need for a wheelchair! Even (compared to reports from other airports) the security staff are friendly and helpful. On departure I was left near a refreshment area - cheap compared to Basel (see my report) until boarding when the lift took me to the aircraft in good time. On return to an air bridge the helper insisted on taking me all the way to the car park and waiting until the courtesy bus arrived. Superb service and I feel lucky to have this standard of service at my local airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"it was a disgrace"

Trip Verified | Like a cattle mart we were packed into this area for over an hour with no air conditioning. No water, 1 toilet and it was a disgrace, pee all over the floor. Something will have to be done to solve this problem now. It's not a one off thing, it's on going all the time.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"embarrassed at my treatment"

Trip Verified | Baggage check in staff were absolutely lovely and the airport lounge staff were also very accommodating and kind. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case as I passed through into the duty free shop. As I was browsing perfumes which I was looking to purchase I’d taken a picture of the bottle to send to a friend. I was then barked at by a miserable looking lady, being told I was unable to take photos and that I should’ve read the signs before I’d come in, she then proceeded to let every staff member surrounding her (6-7 in total) to ‘keep an eye’ on me which made me extremely uncomfortable and I felt as though I had to leave, which I did. Because of this discomfort I didn’t proceed to buy the perfume and it stopped me from making other purchases from the duty free. Extremely disappointed and sad to say embarrassed at my treatment.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"absolutely no places to sit"

Not Verified | Arrival at Faro airport was no problem. Departure at Faro airport was terrible! Long waiting times at the checkin desk (also when you are already checked in and just want to drop your luggage). Customs is going faster than previous years. But then after customs, terrible! Before the renovation of the airport there were in previous years in the main season almost no places to sit but now after the renovation there are absolutely no places to sit! People are sitting against the walls and above in the hallway and on the stairs. When you would like to get some food you have to wait a very long time for drinks, you can use the drinks dispenser. Boarding is fast but after that you have to wait a very long time before the plane leaves. Not enough toilets and very dirty So, we think that the renovation is not well done. Instead of placing more seats they just make 2 parts of the airport and when you are flying in the EU there is no place to sit or to eat.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Work in progress one feels"

Trip Verified | Peak season in the Algarve and departures are getting better at Faro airport, slowly, but surely. The security is still a little ponderous, but thorough, and they have improved the departures area with new bars and shops. A new shared airline lounge is also now open which is much better, light and airy, although a little soulless. Good for a quick snack and drink, but choices are limited. The main issue is that they need more staff on security to cope with the flow of passengers at peak demand. Arrivals is still very slow and despite numerous electronic passport gates being installed, none of them seem to function properly. Work in progress one feels.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"assistance provided promptly and happily"

Trip Verified | Having read some of the reviews, we were not looking forward to using this airport, how wrong we were. Asked for and received 'Level 1' support, on arrival the provider 'My Way' was waiting at the gate, prompt progress through border control (did not appear to any delays) and baggage collection. On return, the terminal (afternoon on a Tuesday) did not appear to be very busy, plenty of seats etc. Again assistance provided promptly and happily - only small problem was the were taken via the lift to the top floor and then discovered there was an escalator down the departure gate, seemed very odd but handled well by the staff. Overall a great experience.
Date VisitJuly 2018