Faro Airport

"an unnecessary security check"

Trip Verified | As a mature but responsible sixty eight year old woman and solo traveler, returning to the uk following a holiday to Alberfuria I was subjected to what I felt was an unnecessary security check at Faro airport, I had undergone a total left hip replacement in November and declared this before I went through the security “arch” I was subjected to a consented search by a young lady, who did the usual check then felt around my skirt waistband (which I felt degrading) then asked me to remove my shoes and requested me to raise each foot behind me, she then checked the soles of my feet, having had the surgery only three calendar months prior this could have proved detrimental to my new joint. The lady then looked over my shoes before moving me on. My point is I declared the hip replacement before the “arch” alarm but this did not seem to make the slightest difference in the way that I was assessed. There was not any consideration or questioning on when I had undergone this major surgery, I appreciate that this young lady had requested consent for the intervention but wonder what would have happened if I, a lady of senior years had refused the security check.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"2 Euros for water"

Not Verified | Not only are they charging 2 Euros for water inside terminal but the vending machine swallows the money and there are no staff or phone numbers to try to get money back. Water, for goodness sake!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"way under staffed"

Trip Verified | Arrivals and baggage collection fine, no issue at all. Departures a completely different story with the queue to go thru passport control very slow moving, very long stretching into the duty free shop. Reason being only 3 desks open, I cant see how this airport will cope in the busy summer months, way under staffed and even if fully manned there were only 7/8 desks. A massive amount of money spent but not much improvement, still very unclean, expensive and very hot even in November.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"very rude and aggressive"

Trip Verified | Having arrived at Faro from Gatwick we arrived at passport control in good time. It was not particularly busy and myself and my mother queued and eventually arrived at the automatic passport machines. My mum didn’t realise that she had to remove her passport to proceed. I overheard a Portuguese assistant who was working the queue be very rude and aggressive telling my mother if she didn’t know how to use the machines to not use them and join the manual queue, totally over the top, my mother was hardly there 15 seconds and not holding anybody up. I turned around and asked the lady what the problem was and to repeat what she said. She looked quite surprised, I suspect she thought my mother was travelling alone. She would not repeat herself to me and chose to just ignore me. This was a classic case of ageist bullying. My mother lives in Portugal and regularly travels to England, is this what they want, older people to not use the modern conveniences. These machines are brand new in Faro, my mum successfully uses in UK with no issue or rudeness from staff, in fact at Gatwick they help you, not turf you out of the queue! My review is regarding this one individual not the rest of Faro airport team!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"hope this won't be a regular occurrence"

Not Verified | After travelling to Portugal for many years, usually twice a year I have never witnessed the queues at Faro Airport as I did today. I hope this won't be a regular occurrence as it will stop my wife and myself returning to this lovely country. I know the airport has been revamped, but there is no point having a new airport, and loosing there efficacy. Spent 1hr 20 m queuing for passport control. It just ridiculous. We hadn't even time for airport shopping or a coffee.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"staff are invariably cheerful and helpful"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I feel very lucky to have Faro as my home base since the staff are invariably cheerful and helpful. As a 'special assistance' passenger I am whisked through security and emigration/immigration where, even in these notorious places I get a 'Bom Dia' and am helped with luggage. The only unusual thing now is that we have to go upstairs to check-in at the gate and then downstairs again to get the lift to the aircraft - surely this step could be cut out out to streamline the 'MyWay' staff's duties. Yes food and drink is expensive but no more so than any other airport to which I travel and toilets, in my experience, are always clean and well maintained.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Lack of clear guidelines"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Lack of clear guidelines of everything When you ask the staff to help you around,they are so not helpful at all. There’s lots to improve with this airport eg Seats should be more comfortable.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"lacks most basic amenities and comforts"

Trip Verified | The Airport is fairly new. But notwithstanding lacks most basic amenities and comforts. Inadequate signposting, no visible Information Office, and insufficient Toilets for the number of passengers. Car Hire desks always closed and the only information has to gained through asking waiting Taxi Drivers. The departure lounge is horrendous with lots of expensive shops and overpriced Bars and nowhere to sit. Once passed through Security for the second time the search for Departure gate starts, up an escalator, down some steps, along a corridor with no monitors and then when you find somewhere close to ones gate, more stairs appear. The staff are brusque and unfriendly and the same goes for the people in Arrivals Passport Control. No smiles, no thank you, nothing but a bored look. It is obviously designed for maximum gain with minimum outlay. Avoid if possible.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"seems to be operating efficiently"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Now that the terminal renovation is complete it looks very smart and seems to be operating efficiently. The 'special Assistance' is always excellent with cheerful employees who look and sound as if they enjoy their work - very important for someone who would really rather be without the need for a wheelchair! Even (compared to reports from other airports) the security staff are friendly and helpful. On departure I was left near a refreshment area - cheap compared to Basel (see my report) until boarding when the lift took me to the aircraft in good time. On return to an air bridge the helper insisted on taking me all the way to the car park and waiting until the courtesy bus arrived. Superb service and I feel lucky to have this standard of service at my local airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"it was a disgrace"

Trip Verified | Like a cattle mart we were packed into this area for over an hour with no air conditioning. No water, 1 toilet and it was a disgrace, pee all over the floor. Something will have to be done to solve this problem now. It's not a one off thing, it's on going all the time.
Date VisitAugust 2018