Edinburgh Airport

"airport experience just fine"

Trip Verified | We recently traveled on RyanAir thru the Edinburgh Airport. Prior to our travels we found this review website and read up on the airport to try and be prepared for the trip. We were very concerned with all the poor reviews and got a little worried that it was going to be awful. There was no need to worry. The airport experience went just fine. Some reviews talked about forever long queue lines. It is true the line may look long, but that is in part because you don't enter your gate until an hour before the flight. So if many people show up hours early, there will be a line until the gate opens. As soon as the gate was open, the line moved very quickly. The security checkpoint is right as you enter your gate area. Security was very quick and efficient for us. The other queue lines were in the check-in areas. This was also due to people arriving more than 2 hours before their flights. The check-in doesn't open until 2 hours before the flight. This would have been useful information since we got worried about the lines people were talking about and went to the airport 3 hours before our flight to make sure we got through on-time. If you are traveling light with no check-in baggage, an hour before the flight seems like plenty of time to me. If you need to check baggage, an hour before would still be plenty of time, but don't arrive more than 2 hours before, or you'll just be waiting. While waiting, we wandered the terminal a little. There were a few little shops. The bathrooms were clean and frequent throughout the terminal. There was also free wifi. I believe it was free for an hour, but it could be two. We traveled a few airports this trip and all had at least some free wifi. I didn't have a problem connecting. One thing to note is that allowed luggage size is different when flying in the UK and Europe, so if you're from the states be sure to read each airline rules carefully, especially if you are travelling on one of the smaller aeroplanes. Overall, we didn't have any problems with this airport. I hope more people will write positive reviews so that the true percentages are shown, rather than just all negative.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the usual disorderly and unclean shambles"

Trip Verified | The airport was the usual disorderly and unclean shambles, with only one passport desk ‘capable’ of checking under 12’s passports out of the 20 or so desks open. As always, this caused both unnecessary and unpleasant delays for everyone arriving. The airport is an embarrassment to Scotland, both inside and outside with very poor signage, almost temporary build quality in various sections. It is incapable of dealing with the volume of traffic going through it which is simply driven by financial greed of the owners and lacks any quality investment. All facilities and services are overpriced and the general staffing quality is poor, with the security section being the worst I’ve ever encountered anywhere.
Date VisitJune 2019

"a complete lack of awareness"

Trip Verified | Going through security I was asked to take off my shoes. I explained that I have a severe back problem, so couldn’t bend to pick them up. The girl didn’t help but told me there was a seat - which makes no difference in bending. Luckily another passenger heard me and came to my aid. On the other side I asked for long shoehorn and somewhere to lean. The guy asked me how I put my shoes in this morning, I replied “I had help”! This demonstrates a complete lack of awareness on their part. Not all “disabilities” are immediately visible. As a senior citizen I deserved more respect. Awareness training required.

"shambolic at best"

Trip Verified | Once again using Edinburgh Airport, confirms that it is one of the World’s worst airports. No clear thought or sense of pride in its design or layout that can only be described as shambolic at best. It should be a fantastic gateway to one of Europe’s great cities not the ugly, disorientating mess that it is. Users on the whole seem distressed at having to use this place.
Date VisitJune 2019

"give this ugly shambles the widest berth"

Trip Verified | Turned up on Monday June 3rd for flight to Southampton with Flybe at 11.40. Had checked in online so no problem there. But immediately on taking the escalator to the departure level, and before even reaching the gauntlet of fast-food outlets on the new path to the Security area, found myself tacked on to a queue stretching as far as the eye could see into the distance. I assumed there had been some sort of incident to occasion such serious congestion, and therefore was prepared to be stoically patient. However, there was a complete lack of airport staff to supervise or explain the queue, and no information at all posted over the PA system. This did not bode well, and things went from bad to worse as we inched towards the entrance to the Security zone. Some passengers were beginning to panic that they would miss their flights, and as their fears rose so panic and desperation set in, turning a reasonably orderly line into an unruly rugby scrum. Some tried to take a short cut through the family/disabled entrance, others to push and shove in renewed effort to get to the front. All in vain. On entering the area itself, passengers were greeted by another long and unsupervised snaking queue and a young girl shrilly shouting instructions to nobody in particular in a thick and aggressive Scots accent. When she stopped occasionally, an inaudible, and therefore useless, tannoy system took over adding to the noise but communicating absolutely nothing. It gradually became apparent that there were six lanes provided, but only four were operating, and even one of those was shut down as I waited in the snake. There were electronic signs flashing directing people to particular lanes, but these were both confusing and useless in equal measure as all possible exits from the snake had been closed off! And so it went endlessly on with very few staff on view, and those veering between the unsmiling, the harassed and the downright aggressive. I was thus forced to spend an hour and a quarter enduring this nonsense just to catch a 90 minute flight. Then followed a 12 minute hurried hike to gate 26, where I was a actually relieved to find that the flight was delayed for twenty minutes. It is clear from the reviews that this was not a one-off “bad day” but just par for the course at Edinburgh, whose American owners, and local management lackeys, have clearly abandoned any notion of customer care and convenience in favour of screwing us wretched travelling souls for every last cent whilst simultaneously paring their own costs to the very bone. As is well documented in neighbouring reviews, they deploy every shabby trick in the book to make passengers shop and/or eat. The result shames the city, the country, all Scots, and especially all those who have connived at the owners’ conduct. Therefore I strongly urge all travellers to give this ugly shambles the widest of berths, Use Glasgow (not perfect but a thousand times better), take the train, and if these options are not feasible, stay at home.
Date VisitJune 2019

"security check was completely overwhelmed"

Not Verified | Arrived at Airport just before 6am for a 7.15 flight to Eindhoven - had checked in online and generally an hour is more than enough. However, there were seemingly about a thousand people trying to squeeze through 10 or 11 gates and the security check was completely overwhelmed. I watched as customers tried in vain to scan their boarding pass at the gate only to have it rejected - there were no staff to help them out or speed up the process - they were just ignored. Random people were using the 'Special Assistance/Family Gate' and the lady sitting there refused their passes because "The scanner is not working" - other people were refused at this entrance. I still thought I would make my flight in plenty of time and proceeded to queue - slowly - for the security check. I passed through here pretty quickly so wasn't too worried, I got through at about 6.45 (which is the time Ryanair said the gate closed - I foolishly assumed they would give a few minutes' grace due to the ridiculous queue previously.) I got to my gate at about 6.55, some 20 minutes before the flight was due to leave - I could see the plane with the stairs still up against the doors - and they refused to let me board my flight, saying the gate was closed. They said 'the paperwork was done' and I'd been "off boarded". I asked to see the paperwork and they refused. I have had to spend over €200 to rebook, changed all my accommodation/travel plans and have a full day in Edinburgh to kill - it's not the cheapest city in the world. Very very disappointed at the lack of Customer Assistance/efficiency and lack of understanding from the Ryanair staff which is not really the airport's fault.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport an absolute embarrassment"

Trip Verified | This airport is an absolute embarrassment. In this day and age to spend over an hour waiting to go through security (an hour is actually making good time in Edinburgh airport) people missing flights due to the least organized airport I have ever experienced. Absolute joke and I will never come back to Edinburgh to experience this again. First world country with a less than third world airport.

"infrastructure is horrendous"

Not Verified | The infrastructure at Edinburgh Airport is horrendous. It takes 20-30 mins to get a stairs/tunnel connected to get off the plane. Then you go on a bus, have to wait another 10 mins then have passport control to cue for. We’ve been on the ground over 40 mins & I’v only just got to the cue for passport control due to the delays getting off the plane. Disgraceful!
Date VisitMay 2019

"this airport is embarrassing"

Not Verified | I visit many airports in a month - I live in Edinburgh and this airport is embarrassing. Queues - no management control - staff making procedures up/ad hoc. Glasgow wins - swallow that Edinburgh!
Date VisitMay 2019

"Massive queue for security"

Trip Verified | The arrivals process at 12 midnight was a shambles. Massive queue for security and baggage took half an hour to start to arrive. Time from plane to airport parking was 1.5 hours which is totally unacceptable. Also the impression on arriving tourists is miserable. Gone is all the 'Welcome to Scotland' branding and friendly welcome, replaced by a grim 'UK and Northern Ireland Border' message with associated branding. The only clue I was in Scotland was an IRN BRU vending machine in the baggage hall. Edinburgh airport is participating in the re-branding of Scotland as just a region of UK and it just isn't good enough. In summary it felt like arriving in an unwelcoming grim vision of post a Brexit UK rather than Scotland.