Edinburgh Airport

"found the security suite a nightmare"

Not Verified | We flew out on 27th September on Jet2 and found the security suite a nightmare. We were herded round the maze, had to find a tray each to be scanned and then ordered where to go by very curt people. This security suite is obviously much too small, oh and yes its new! On return on the 4th October from Alicante we again stood in long queues to scan our passports in the machines that take for ever. We then had to wait over 50 minutes to get our luggage, this was around 11.00 pm and we were told by a staff member that there was only one luggage team on duty and a few flights had come in. Absolutely poor service. Then the car park! We were picked up at the pick up point which was almost at a standstill, then to pay the parking with more long queues and more delay. If this is what its like late night whats it like at peak hours I ask? We have flown all over the world over the years and I can hand on heart say Edinburgh Airport is the worst organised, worst operated and worst organised of all we have flown through. We will be using Glasgow in future.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"arrival experience crushes the soul"

Not Verified | Yet again Edinburgh airport arrival experience crushes the soul. As someone who is proud of my country this shambling cattle market of a passport control set up must scar visitors for life. It is just horrendous on every level, from the minute you leave the plane and start walking through filthy corridors up and down in facilities that would be unacceptable for animals as a Scot you cant help but feel ashamed. I'm in and out here every week and this place sets the bar so low its off the scale. If you have the option use Glasgow, Edinburgh truely is "Fur coat and nae knickers".
Date VisitOctober 2019

"There's too many shops"

Not Verified | Having to empty hand luggage of liquids, electrical, laptops & tablets and take off coats, belts, watches & boots hold up the security queues greatly. Time to upgrade the scanners like every other airport has, Schipol for example you put your hand luggage on the belt and walk through the scanner. Don't need to take anything off or out of bags, much better. There's too many shops, who goes to an airport to visit a sports shop? Gates and resturants are strangely intertwined, not relaxing eating a meal with 200 people standing next to you to board their flight! Also arriving in Edinburgh, walk up flights and flights of stairs, along what feels like the length of the airport, down stairs then into a huge queue for passport machines. All passport machines should be open at all times. Finally wifi. Majority of airports I have been in offer free unlimited wifi, Edinburgh allows only 2 hours, it's 2019 nice with the times!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"security area is understaffed"

Not Verified | The departure experience is the worst of any airport I've travelled from, not set up properly, weaving through eating area in long queues to get to security. The security area is understaffed resulting in the staff that are there being stressed and extremely rude. I would hesitate to travel from Edinburgh again unless absolutely necessary.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"some of the rudest and most unpleasant staff"

Not Verified | I’ve usually expected a pleasant experience in most British airports, but this one had some of the rudest and most unpleasant staff that Edinburgh airport could find. My wife, unfortunately, had a bag that was slightly oversized from the bin. She just needed to check it in, no big deal. When she had gone back to check it in no one was present. One women at the help desk said that it would be impossible to check in at that point. She proceeded to tell her that she would miss her flight and she would need to buy a new ticket, but I could fly without her (FYI we were on our honeymoon). Obviously, we are not millionaires and we can’t just buy another ticket, because it’s extremely expensive. She ended up buying a new bag and abandoning her old one. She was told she was going to miss her flight so she had to jump in line to send her stuff through security. She apologized to everyone in line who all obviously understood her plight. Unfortunately, the staff member in security didn’t agree. He told her that she jumped in line and needed to wait. She made her wait for 5 people before letting her go. Let me just say that US airports don’t always have the best service, but they would not pull this trash. In conclusion, the gate staff were lovely and we thankfully barely made our flight.

"a hideous experience"

Trip Verified | The security check was a hideous experience with a staff member shouting indescriminately at the queue, mostly made up of pensioners. I felt severely embarrassed to be British! 'Your delay is your own fault for not listening. You've been told to take all electrical items out of your hand luggage so if you don't do it you'll wait even longer. It is your own fault if you miss your flight'. The shouted demands called for hair dryers, hair straighteners, shavers, travel irons & travel kettles all to be removed from hand luggage, really? Seriously really? Referring to the government website all these items are perfectly acceptable as hand luggage items. Not a hint of such a problem returning from Belfast in February this year and no problems whatsoever with this issue on my bi-annual long haul flights from Heathrow and Gatwick over the last 20 years and more. It appears that Edinburgh Airport won't pay for the top quality scanners used by every other airport in the UK and the whole wide world. Shame on them for being the Cheap Skates that they are and for ruining the return-factor that the city's tourism relies on. I won't be back, not ever.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Worst security check ever"

(Malta)

Not Verified | The security member with a bandaged right arm addressed my wife with an angry voice because the liquids (mines and hers) were in one bag and were not in a separate plastic bags. He swabbed and swabbed her bag from the inside and outside and if it were up to him he would have detained us as he had some reading on the machine and wanted to be a bully. He then called his supervisor who came around and found nothing. He dismissed the reading by tearing up his chit. He then tried to redeem himself by packing our liquids in 2 bags but my wife was very upset because he would have detained us when we are just tourists with nothing to hide. Worst security check ever.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"gate numbers not very uniformly clear"

Trip Verified | The airport gives the impression of a long straggling building with some poor signage. The British Airways check-in area was rather restricted. Long queue for security and then an attendant that set the scene for the rest of my time there. I was scanned and then directed over to a man who pointed at one of my pockets asking what I had in it. I responded that I just had a a handkerchief. He abruptly instructed: “Take it out”. I did so and his response: “That was your problem”, with no explanation. Seating was difficult and gate numbers not very uniformly clear.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"lazy baggage handling staff"

Trip Verified | Complacent, slow and smug attitude by the lazy baggage handling staff. We waited over an hour for our baggage to hit the carousel at 3.20pm on Sunday 25th August 2019. No explanation for this unacceptable was given. This must be the slowest airport in the world that I have ever had the unfortunate experience of using. Disgraceful!

"Horrible hellish security"

Not Verified | Horrible hellish security. Long lines and bad organisation. Everybody was topped and checked for ridiculous reasons. Please update your technology here. My mother was stopped and was asked questions, bags had to be double checked and deemed a security threat, for no reason. Please review your security.