East Midlands Airport

"beyond contempt"

Not Verified | The security staff are way over the top and I mean way over the top. After going shoeless, jacketless and beltless through the full-body scanner still had to be patted down, this happens every time I go through this airport. I have no option to use this as it is for work purposes. Then the magnetic wand is used. It’s almost as if the staff have a big point to prove. When you question their approach the belligerence you receive is beyond contempt. Someone in management needs to take the staff on a training course on how to treat passengers with respect and civility. Because there is none shown to anybody. Get a grip East Midlands
Date VisitDecember 2019

"such a lack of empathy"

Not Verified | Fast track with elderly dad. Very poor service, not fast and the help just didn’t arrive. Made my dad stand which he finds really hard, made him take his coat and jacket off, which made him feel poorly, he was cold and disorientated. I was trying to rush through behind, security asked if dad was sensitive to pain anywhere and wheeled him forward, his GTN spray had already gone through with his watch wallet and money. He was getting more distressed I was told to move away as he was being searched. He was cold and upset. I am so angry I have never experienced such a lack of empathy before. I eventually got his body warmer and coat and covered him with my coat to warm him up - shame on you East Midlands Airport
Date VisitNovember 2019

"the worst dump of an airport I've ever visited"

Not Verified | This has got to be the worst dump of an airport I've ever visited and I've just got back from Vietnam and Cambodia. I don't recommend it to anyone coming in from the States, avoid this place like the plague. No parking and if you get someone to drop you off they have you on film and send you a $80 ticket even if you are dropped off at the gas station next to the airport. Like I said avoid this place like the plague, even the locals are now flying out of Birmingham or Manchester just to avoid it. Let's wait until the business falls off so bad there's no work and they start laying off because that's what going to happen real soon because they deserve it.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Absolutely shocking"

Not Verified | Absolutely shocking, can't believe any airport could be as bad. On arrival queue massive, under no cover at all for first 20 mins of 1 hr 15 to get through passport control. Not sure I could ever fly again from East Midlands. How can it be allowed to treat it's passengers so badly.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the worst airport in the world"

Not Verified | We live in the east Midlands so if we want to use another airport we have to travel. We are frequent fliers. After Nairobi this is the worst airport in the world. Even Addis Ababa is better. Poor infrastructure ie, it can't cope with the amount of passengers. Surly staff. Just awful.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"always dread arrival"

Not Verified | East Midlands Airport is the nearest airport so is generally the one we use. Passport Control is something we always dread on arrival and it never fails to live up to our low expectations. Dreadful doesn't come close to describing it. We have used the airport for years so have seen the change from mainly staffed passport control gates to the automated service. In the past, our plane would arrive and in we would all go to passport control (often more than one plane landing so a lot of people). And guess what, out of maybe 10 booths only 2 or (if we were lucky) 3 were in use. Long frustrating wait. Now in 2019, they have a few more automated e-passport gates. Oh my goodness, these are even worse! People stand there for ages. Some passports work, quite a lot don't. You then get asked to go to the staffed gate. The staffed passport gate queues go down much faster now! Why has passport control at East Midlands Airport been so bad for so long?

"massive queues"

Trip Verified | Security check-in was horrific! Every single bag in my queue went through the scanner and over to the otherside to be re-examined, every bag! This led to massive queues on one side and a build up of waiting passengers on the other as they awaited to recieve their bag after being checked by one of the members of staff that had a face like a smacked bottom. Majority of the bags were packed correctly, including mine and therefore it's clear these moody jobs-worth individual's are checking evey bag individually rather than going off the systems in place. Airport is too small. Layout is poor.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"staff were unprofessional and disorganised"

Trip Verified | What a complete farce this airport arrival system is. We had to be herded like cattle the moment we stepped off the plane, joining queues from other destinations and again being herded confusingly all the way to passport control which took nearly an hour. Some non EU passengers were given preferential treatment, passing through in a fast track lane and no explanation why the other hundreds of people were kept waiting. The airport looks like a third world country's airport and staff were unprofessional and disorganised. I never want to use EMA again despite it being my closest airport. This experience was stressful and tiring, especially at 1 am when you've already been travelling for 8 hours total. EMA need to sort themselves out, invest in a system which works and doesn't leave their customers feeling like second class citizens. A good holiday spoilt.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"completely over the top"

Not Verified | Unprofessional Jobsworths. Supervisors on the security checks were completely over the top. We were quiet, polite and just surprised at their behaviour towards us. 20 minutes to check our toiletries and then throw things away because our see through bag wasn’t as small as theirs. Never had this issue before. Are they new staff for the summer? We use the airport about 3 or 4 times a year and were surprised at their behaviour which we had not seen before. We are going to use other airports where possible. East Mids airport is not a nice place to visit anymore. What has changed? Going out is terrible and arriving back is terrible - should it be like this? Other airports are great. Management and Customer services should be ashamed of themselves.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport requires massive investment"

Not Verified | This airport requires massive investment with staff! A very long wait to get through security, this took over 45 minutes, we are aware of security and the importance’s of this however this is due to the airport being too small for the amount of departures. On arrival from home you have to wait for a bus following landing then lengthly queues through passport control. If you have baggage to collect then non of the carousels working! More investment required to deal with the amount of passengers.
Date VisitJuly 2019