Dubai Airport

"90 minutes to find my gate"

Trip Verified | Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. My trip CGK-DXB-AMS. Arriving from Jakarta on EK357, arrived at 23.00. Aircraft parked at remote stand. Transportation by bus to terminal A. The bus itself is great. After a 15-20minutes bus ride, we arrived at the terminal, I followed sign "connection", went thru security. No queue, smooth. Okay, usually will find out a departing gate for the next flight. Flat screens show connecting flights, guess what? Only Emirates flights are shown on these screens? Nowhere, but really nowhere connecting information can be found about other airlines. Many yellow shirt staff with Information to be seen. I asked where to find KLM gate, answer: traveling to Kuala Lumpur? OMG, my response was that KLM is an airline not a city? My trust in her went from 10 to zero in a second. I approached someone else, she understood my question. Sir, you go to terminal 1. But what terminal am I now? I had to take a train and then a bus to terminal 1. How to find this train? well no signs to be find anywhere. I ended up in B. Asked again where to find the train, take escalator down, and then blah blah blah. Was in B now. Okay, now to find a bus - where? No clue. No sign, wanted to look a tv screens where to find my KLM flight, still no information about non Emirates flights. After asking 4 times to staff where to find the bus service, I got confused. Go against security flow, use staff exit. Huh? Staff exit? Makes no sense. Then found a door for the bus, employee there informed me that bus interval timings is 40 minutes. I had to wait for 15 minutes. This bus trip took me another 15 minutes. Then ended in terminal 1. Security check, again. Long queue, very rude local staff at detector. And finally, tv screens with departing flights of D pier. Long walk to D19. Okay, first entered bus from platform at 23.15, was at my departing gate at 00.45! Took me 90 minutes to find my gate. No time to relax, eat, shop whatsoever. Luckily my transit time was 3 hours. As a very frquent traveler, Dubai is my number one worst experience ever? Dreadful, Emirates first concept, confusing, enormous huge airport. Never again want to be in transit again at Dubai airport. My grade - a big 1 out of 10. Wasting my time
Date VisitNovember 2019

"absolute worst nightmare"

(Iceland)

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible. I have to transit through here for my business travels and I usually go at least 1-2 times a year, both in business and economy classes. I have tried other airports too - Singapore, Doha, Hong Kong etc. Dubai is the absolute worst nightmare for a transit passenger. I have been selected for a not so random "random security check" every single time. This is racial profiling. The security staff are rude, do not answer questions regarding the tests and seem misinformed.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"it is a truly awful airport"

I have "enjoyed" Dubai many times over the last few months and it is a truly awful airport. Access to it or from it by road is really bad, especially at peak times and there is no effective public transport system. Terminal 1 is the non Emirates terminal and is by far the best at Dubai. The issues tend to be that it is a long walk from your gate and you have to use a not very efficient transit to get to arrivals or departures. I arrive very early in the morning and it tends to be efficient in immigration (if you use the e-gates) and on baggage, There is plenty of room outside to get picked up. Departures is a whole different matter - I tend to leave late Thursday and at that point the terminal has de-generated into chaos. No room outside for your car to pull up, hassling porters and complete disrray inside as this is a peak departure time. E gates speed ,you up but the queues at security are horrendous. This airport is mainly about transiting passengers and is designed as such. There are a few decent restaurants and lots of shops but it is a deeply unwelcoming place. Terminal 3 - the main Emirates terminal is horrendous. On arrival the queues can be extremely long, if you arrive out of hours the transit trains take an eternity, the layout when you get off the train for transit versus arriving passengers is unclear and the process to get your bag is arduous. So far so bad, It then gets worse - the queues for taxis are endless, if you have arranged a driver it will take him at least 30 minutes to get out of the terminal parking area On departuer there are all of the same problems of T1 but multiplied by the volume of activity - it is now so bad that I fly to Manchester via Heathrow rather than take the direct fllight as the T1 experinece is so bad. Less focus on shopping and forcing numbers up, and more focus on looking after travellers would not go amiss. The other thing I find astonishing is lack of people to help and really poor customer service - things you don't experience elsewher in Dubai
Date VisitOctober 2019

"a negative way to start our vacation there"

Not Verified | I have always found this airport to work efficiently. Quick pass through customs and out into the carpark. No exception this time but the two ladies that checked our passports did not even acknowledge us as we handed them our passports and said "hello". Certainly quite a negative way to start our vacation there. Bad impression.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"one would expect clear directions"

Not Verified | Airport luckily very efficient because we spent an hour driving from one terminal to to next to find car rental return. In a huge airport like this one would expect clear directions if unfamiliar with the airport layout, but..not one sign as to where to return rentals until you actually get to the terminal exit. It should clearly say terminal 1 & 3 for rental returns. It did not. Again luckily once inside everything went quickly. But it was also a weekend morning.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Staff chaotic"

Not Verified | Terrible, oversize took forever. It took forever and traveling with three kids does not help. Staff chaotic, did not know what’s going on. Normal bags arrived in 5 minutes but oversize took almost an hour!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"not much user friendly"

Not Verified | Dubai Airport T1 is not much user friendly. There are a lot of sign boards, but everything mentioned will see at the end of a long way. Boarding counters are very far from the entrance. After that the smart gate is another concern. They will not accept the E-gate tag from Abu Dhabi. I have an AUH registered tag sticker on my passport, but they only accept DXB registered. Again to counters. I brought food (croissant) from my home and eat at the airport during waiting. The outlets are selling super heavy priced items. Emigration process was smooth and the guys behind each desks are friendly. Not enough seating available after the emigration area besides the Duty Free shops. After emigration we have to wait until our flight displayed on the screen and then go to catch the airport train to the departure terminal. Terminal to terminal transfer is swift with the airport train. Departure hall is big and having proper facilities.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"becoming less and less visitor friendly"

Not Verified | This airport is becoming less and less visitor friendly. Awash with passengers — so busy that they find it difficult to cope with the volume. The staff generally look as if they’re sick of life and appear miserable.The airport prices are very high — long gone are the days when you could hope to find any bargains in the shops. Its got to the stage where the aisles now have market type stalls making the aisles even more crowded. From what used to be a lovely airport to transit it has now become one to be avoided if possible.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"signages are not sufficient"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | One of the worst airports I've ever been to. Horrible queues, super expensive food. The waiting areas are poorly designed and I saw people sprawled over the floor wherever I went. The signages are not sufficient. Bathrooms ok. Was lucky to have a lady cleaning it when I went. In the morning, when I was transiting, there were at least 10 people ahead in the queue for the bathroom, and I passed 5 or 6 before giving up and waiting in the queue. The flow of human traffic was disorganized so heaven help you if you're walking in the opposite directionto the majority. Didn't feel like shopping. The experience was just not there.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"there are not enough loos"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I have used Dubai airport several times now (perhaps 5 or 6 ). In every case, between the UK and New Zealand, a very long haul which deserves a reasonably comfortable stopover. This airport is an absolute disgrace for a modern international "hub". My particular beef is with the mens' lavatories in Terminal 3. The problem is that there are simply not enough of them to cope with demand at peak times. They are appalling ! After the first time I went through Dubai I filled in one of the airport's online complaint forms. The airport completely missed the point, replying that the loos are cleaned n times per hour. That's not the point; the point being that there are not enough loos. The airport is full of empty bling shops with not enough space left for the essentials. And my wife tells me that the female loos are not much better either. The result is that passengers arrive at the gate at the last minute for their flights, which is difficult for the gate staff and ATC. The whole situation is completely unacceptable. Dubai puffs itself up as a premier business and holiday destination, but they can't even get the basics right at their "flagship" airport. Wake up, Dubai! The one thing everyone needs at a stopover airport is good loos. They should have their own silly little score-chart.
Date VisitJune 2019